Alcohol ok during 2WW? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-14-2008, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not talking a pitcher of Margaritas or anything but is it ok to have a glass of wine?

WWYD?
#2 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 12:06 AM

It's ok to have an occasional glass of wine through the 2ww and through your pregnancy, if you are so inclined.

Homebirthing mama of 2
#3 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 12:07 AM

I wouldn't during a 2ww or the 1st tri.
#4 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaHen2J&J View Post
I wouldn't during a 2ww or the 1st tri.
I agree. In a psych and physical development course I took, the professor told us that the most dangerous time to consume alcohol is the two weeks after conception. She said that this is the time when the growing embryo is most susceptible to the toxins.
Then again, it is all up to you. I can't tell you you're wrong to have one glass. No one really knows what the effects of just one glass are.

Nearly crunchy mama to one DS born at home 12/09 and married to my best friend one week later signcirc1.gif

#5 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 12:14 AM

I think a glass of something would be fine. Especially when implantation may not occur for 7 to 10 days. But it really is what you would feel comfortable with. I didn't drink because I was so hoping I would get a BFP!

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#6 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 12:17 AM

yes moderation is fine imo.
#7 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 12:31 AM

I'd say don't drink. I could never live with myself if there was something wrong with the baby and I'd been drinking.... but that's me.

Also, there can be more minor effects of alcohol on the baby besides fetal alcohol syndrome... there is no established safe amount of alcohol during pregnancy. I agree moderation is fine, but during pregnancy, this doesn't hold true. Pregnancy is a time to be an extremest, I think!
#8 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 01:20 AM

A glass of wine probably wouldn't hurt.

Here's my story: I RARELY drink alcohol, but we hosted a housewarming overnight with two other couples and made some very strong punch. Which I drank a lot of, for about 48 hours straight. Most intoxicated I had ever been, for the longest time.

We had not been actively TTC, but had just started going unprotected to see what happened. A week later, no AF, I was preg and panicked--I had done all that drinking when I was preg! Had I ruined my child already? What an awful mother I would be! OB assured me I had nothing to worry about, and babe is now here and fine.

So, I probably wouldn't if I knew, but a glass of wine probably wouldn't hurt.

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#9 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 01:48 AM

I drank half a bottle of wine without knowing I conceived. Kid is ok
#10 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
When I worked in RE, they recommended a baby aspirin or daily glass of wine (read: moderation is key) for PCOS and for people who are TTC. I would stop it once you get the + or at least make it half a glass or week, but that would just be my comfort level.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#11 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 03:21 AM

I might go for a light beer or something not too strong, although when I was pregnant, I totally lost my desire to drink at all... it just tasted awful to me. A few times when out to dinner I ordered a beer and wasn't able to finish more than half.

I live in Germany, beer capitol of the world, and the docs here (of course) say an occasional drink is OK. Even during breastfeeding, they told me to drink champagne or weissbier (a cloudy kind of wheat beer containing lots of yeast) to improve milk supply. (It really works, by the way!)
#12 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 06:39 AM

I have been TTC since Oct 07 and if I feel like having a drink, I will.

I always think about how in the 50's moms drank and smoked their whole pregnancy, and in the 60's & 70's there were moms that added drugs to the mix. I wouldn't drink after a positive, but having a glass of wine with dinner during the 2WW doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#13 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 AM

I just wanted to add that if you are really worried about it, it's fine to abstain. However, be careful about changing your life drastically for every 2WW. I'm on my 6mo TTC, and I think I'd be very resentful of the process if I cut out lots of the things that I probably will cut out or back on for every 2WW.

I've also read, though I'm not sure what the difference is, that the fetus lives off the yolk sac for the first 6 weeks (so 4 weeks after conception). Now, I don't believe that nothing is passing through there to the fetus, but it's not like they have the same blood alcohol level as you when you have a glass (or 2 or 3) of wine.

Most people don't even find out they are pregnant until they are 5-6 weeks along, so I don't *personally* believe that the risk is so great that you need to change you lifestyle every 2 weeks.

Homebirthing mama of 2
#14 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 08:41 AM

If you're uncomfortable doing it, don't do it.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#15 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 08:56 AM

I asked my midwife about this and she said it is fine so long as you stop when you find out you are pregnant. As someone already said, the placenta is not formed and fully functioning until 5 weeks (when most people not, POS addicts, find out). So the baby is not really sharing your blood before that point. I agree also that when you have no idea how long TTC is going to take, you should try to live your life. 9 months is long enough, and I've been trying for a year and am not even pregnant yet!
#16 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 09:00 AM

I remember being in the 2WW and at a neighbors house for a get together. I whispered to my husband "Should I have a glass of wine, what if I am pregnant?" he replied "Oh, you are probably not." (it was our second month of TTC, but our first month of getting our timing right. I had my suspicions, but DH didn't believe me). I had a glass of wine or two. Lo and behold, I found out a week later I was indeed pregnant.
I have a beautiful, healthy 2.5 year old.
Just keep it in moderation.
#17 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am 35 years old and have partied quite a bit so I am finally ready to be done with all that.
but I knpow plenty of people who are fine with it
and ultimately it is apersonal decision.
#18 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Lot's of different opinions! I'm not sure where I fall, I guess that's why i'm asking. I think I'd definitely not drink anything during the 1st and maybe 2nd trimester but maybe an occasional glass of wine during the 3rd. Also, like Erdbeer my lactation consultant told me to drink a glass of (dark) beer while I was nursing to increase my milk supply. (It worked!)
I was just thinking though, during the 2WW, the baby is just implanting and not surviving off of the placenta so I was wondering if it's even affected by small amounts of alcohol? But then I also worry about miscarriage. Does drinking increase your chance of a miscarriage? kittywitty You mentioned that the RE you worked for recommended baby aspirin or a daily glass of wine while TTC...do you know why?
#19 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think I am learning that what is in our blood stream may effect the baby in all stages.
But I think maybe your own instinct can guide you the best!
#20 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 11:11 AM

I honestly would be more afraid to drink aspartame then a glass of wine. Just my opinion.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#21 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomerJen View Post
I just wanted to add that if you are really worried about it, it's fine to abstain. However, be careful about changing your life drastically for every 2WW. I'm on my 6mo TTC, and I think I'd be very resentful of the process if I cut out lots of the things that I probably will cut out or back on for every 2WW.
this my 13th month TTC. i second this comment 100%.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#22 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
I honestly would be more afraid to drink aspartame then a glass of wine. Just my opinion.
aspartame scares me too!!! I quit soda (diet and regular) before TTC.

A thought on the effect of alcohol during the TWW (aka, no placenta) - what if it interferes with cilia (moving the blastocyst down the tube) or implantation (lining is somehow off) or something else? After TTC so hard and dealing with infertility, I'd much rather not take any risk that I can easily avoid. Of course, it's up to each person...

also, even if you know a few (or a lot) of people who drank and who's babies are fine, doesn't mean it will be okay for you. It's a risk, and something bad MIGHT happen. It might not too. You don't know. Just my 2c.
#23 of 23 Old 05-15-2008, 11:06 PM

Why take the risk? Is it really worth it?

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page