Melatonin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-23-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone taken it while ttc? I have incomnia and melatonin is the only thing that seems to help. But I don't want to take it if it will hinder my fertility. Anyone conceive while taking melatonin?
#2 of 7 Old 05-24-2008, 01:31 AM

From kellymom
Quote:
Couples who are trying to conceive a baby and pregnant women should avoid this hormone.
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/ref/h...html#Melatonin

I've been meaning to look this up for myself because of the same reason. Kellymom is primarily info on bfing, but sometimes they include additional comments, like the one above.
#3 of 7 Old 05-24-2008, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I poked around a bit too and it looks like it may affect ovulation.

This cycle, I used an OPK and bd'ed the day of the positive. Lots of ewcm that dried up about a day after. Do you think I still have a chance, given that I've taken melatonin daily (3-6 mg) for about 3 months? I'm so disappointed to find this out... I really thought this might be our month

I will stop taking it now, of course, but since I tend to go nutso in my 2 ww, I'd love to hear from anyone who took melatonin longterm and still conceived.
#4 of 7 Old 06-13-2008, 02:23 PM

Just found this message and I think I have real-life experience with melatonin inhibiting ovulation. I took melatonin for a week last month because I wasn't sleeping at night. I knew it might affect ovulation, but I hoped that taking it for only one week and after my last O, maybe it wouldn't affect my next O. Well, I skipped O'ing this month (I just started anovulatory bleeding), something that rarely ever happens. So I think the melatonin *did* affect my ovulation. :

I'm going to the store to get more Benadryl because I think that's the safest thing for me to take at this time so I can get some sleep. (I take one near bedtime and it helps me fall and stay asleep.) Major insomnia here. I'm also going to change some bedtime routines and try to read a book or meditate near bedtime.

Kristin

Mama to Laurel '06 & high needs Will '09
Crunchy in mainstream suburbia | Sleep-deprived WAHM
#5 of 7 Old 06-13-2008, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorsky View Post
Just found this message and I think I have real-life experience with melatonin inhibiting ovulation. I took melatonin for a week last month because I wasn't sleeping at night. I knew it might affect ovulation, but I hoped that taking it for only one week and after my last O, maybe it wouldn't affect my next O. Well, I skipped O'ing this month (I just started anovulatory bleeding), something that rarely ever happens. So I think the melatonin *did* affect my ovulation. :

I'm going to the store to get more Benadryl because I think that's the safest thing for me to take at this time so I can get some sleep. (I take one near bedtime and it helps me fall and stay asleep.) Major insomnia here. I'm also going to change some bedtime routines and try to read a book or meditate near bedtime.

Kristin
I really think the melatonin affected my O too. I got a positive OPK and then lots of EWCM several days after and periodically for the next week.

I'm sorry insomnia is plaguing you too. Be careful with the benadryl if you are ttc, as it can dry out CM (it certainly did for me). I just want to pass this on because I feel like I messed up two cycles by taking sleep aids. Best wishes to you.
#6 of 7 Old 06-13-2008, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Huh. The only thing I've ever heard about melatonin is that your brain CANNOT naturally release it unless you are sleeping in pitch dark. So dark that if you put your hand up in front of your face you shouldn't be able to see it. This is how we sleep after we found this out. HUbby has gotten really good at blocking out the bedroom windows.

I don't know if that info will help anyone on this thread, but I just learned about it not too long ago.

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#7 of 7 Old 06-14-2008, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose_lee View Post
Huh. The only thing I've ever heard about melatonin is that your brain CANNOT naturally release it unless you are sleeping in pitch dark. So dark that if you put your hand up in front of your face you shouldn't be able to see it. This is how we sleep after we found this out. HUbby has gotten really good at blocking out the bedroom windows.

I don't know if that info will help anyone on this thread, but I just learned about it not too long ago.
Seasonal light variation and melatonin production actually affects ovulation. I researched this exhaustively after starting this thread and found lots of interesting information.

Here is a little blurb from one source that I found:

Alteration of the amount of daylight from season-to-season affects melatonin secretion, and thereby can affect seasonal fertility in many mammals. In deer, the decreased light during the Fall season leads to increased fertility and breeding. For hamsters, increased melatonin during Fall and Winter leads to testicular regression in males and estrus inhibition in females. Melatonin can suppress libido by inhibiting secretion of luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) from the anterior pituitary gland. Humans may be similar to hamsters because pituitary-gonadal function and conception rates are lower for people living in the Arctic during Winter months [THE NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE; Brzezinski,A; 336(3):186-195 (1997)]. Melatonin can inhibit ovulation in women and has even been suggested for use in conjunction with other contraceptives [ THE JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGY & METABOLISM; Voordouw,BCG; 74(1):108-117 (1992)]. A small study of men, however, showed no suppression of reproductive hormones with melatonin [HUMAN REPRODUCTION; Luboshitzky,R; 15(1):60-65 (2000)].

And the source: http://www.benbest.com/nutrceut/melatonin.html

Interesting -- wish I'd known before I took melatonin every night for weeks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page