What to take for migraine during 2-week wait - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always get a migraine headache somewhere between 3 and 6 DPO (must be the hormones). Usually, I take 2 ibuprofin when I can just feel it starting and nip it in the bud that way. The past three cycles, because we were trying to conceive, I didn't take anything and suffered a brutal 24 hours each time. Is there anything that I can take that won't ruin my chance of pregnancy? What about aspirin? I hear that aspirin increases fertility. Could I take two aspirin?

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 06:42 AM

I'm curious about this as well. I always thought that I wouldn't worry about things like this, but I find myself putting up with incredible back pain, headaches, avoiding bleaching the bathroom, wearing a mask around toxic things I can't avoid... How much of this is good sense, and how much are we just overreacting?

I've taken Panadol a couple of times in the past week while in my DPOs, but wonder if it's a good idea? I thought it might make temps drop, giving false readings on my chart.

Our baby boy, Kynan Glenn, born 6 June 09
#3 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 10:22 AM

I get migraines also. When I was pregnant with ds, I had taken a Zomig early on (before I even know I was pregnant) and the doc said that it was no worry. Ds is 2 now, and he seems ok.

Now, I'm taking Excedrin Migraine more to treat them. It's ibuprofin/aspirin/caffeine. I'm thinking in low doses, it's ok. I haven't gotten any weird temp readings the morning after taking it.

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#4 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry but what is Zomig, in generic terms, please?

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#5 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 12:41 PM

Zomig is a triptan, and is still under patent, so there is no generic. It's in the same class of drugs as Imitrex.

My neuro approved both zomig and imitrex for me while TTC and during pregnancy when it happens. They are a "class c" drug, but imitrex is currently under scrutiny to be placed in the B Class. He also said that while it does pass through breastmilk, generally pediatricians are OK with taking it while breastfeeding.

He also placed me on magnesium supplements, since I had to go off of my previous daily med, Topamax.

Things I would NOT take for migraines while TTC or during pregnancy: feverfew, butterbur. Butterbur is very hard on your kidneys, and this is simply not the time for THAT. And feverfew is known to cause miscarriage.

All in all, I think it's a balance thing. I get too many bad migraines frequently enough that the stress from that would be far far more than imitrex would cause. I do try to scale back and try to let more of them run their course naturally than I normally do, just because I don't want to be taking imitrex 3 times a week or more.

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#6 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 04:15 PM

In addition...I've sort of learned what my triggers are (sugar, caffeine, MSG, over ripe bananas, chocolate, wine....basically, all the good stuff) and try like the dickens to avoid them around ovulation/menstruation. I have found that I am a lot more likely to get a migraine around a hormone shift. But, I still get them, but not as often as before I paid attention to what my triggers were.

PP....I didn't know that you could take Zomig while pregnant. I'm going to look more into this, because "toughing out" the migraines while I was pregnant last time was really the pits. Granted, I did have very few while pregnant, but it was still hard.

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#7 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Carrin, since it's on the Class C list for pregnancy, it's officially in the "weigh the risks and benefits... blah blah blah" category. My OB brought it up, but was totally comfortable when I mentioned I'd already gotten it approved with my neuro. (Here's a link to a wikipedia article about drug classes. In the case of imitrex, my neuro described it as "No animal studies have been conducted and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women." Here's another good link.) For me, this risk is at an acceptable level, because of the sheer number and intensity of my migraines, however, the topamax risk was not.

Zomig is very similar to imitrex, and I have scripts for both. However, I'm not a doctor - I'm sure yours would be perfectly ok talking with you about it.

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#8 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 06:10 PM

When I was working as a pharmacist here in the UK ( I guess I still am one, but am on a break to WAH on another project). The only analgesia we would recommend for pregnancy would be paracetamol (panadol + many other brand names) & if really severe co-codamol 8/500 (sometimes docs will use 30/500) but not the co-codamol in the last couple of months. We would say def to avoid ibuprofen and aspirin due to the increased risk of bleeding. As a migraine sufferer myself I try to 'manage' with either paracetamol or co-codamol in the 2ww but have been know to use my zomig (generic zolmitriptan), but again it's a case of risk/benefit and your own personal choice.

Just my 2 cents!

PS this UK based site is quite good for getting a brief synopsis of risks for most drugs http://emc.medicines.org.uk/

Me & DH TTC #3!  DD1 is 8 and DD2 is 2.  Struggled to conceive DD2, eventually getting a BFP after 35 months ttc & a month out from starting fertility treatment!  Now TTC#3, had an early miscarriage in Sept 2011 greensad.gif.  Here's my chart http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1eeaa4

#9 of 11 Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I used to have migraines that, while pretty mild as migraines go, would linger for MONTHS. Not full on, but just a little ache behind my eyes as a warning of the pain should I try to do anything like, say, stand up or look at a computer monitor or anything.

My allergist discovered that I had a magnesium deficiency (through a blood test), and put me on Mg supplements, and now my migraines are few, far apart, and SHORT.

So I'm thinking that it might be worth looking into - obviously not the answer for everyone, but I don't think that magnesium is contra-indicated in pregnancy

DH(38) + I(37) have been working on collaborative project #1 for 6 years, fighting more battles than I ever imagined. 2/2014 - IVF cycle = ! born 11/2014
#10 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting thought re magnesium deficiency...

What about aspirin. Yes, there is the bleeding issue BUT I had understood that aspirin increases fertility. Is this only for the purposes of ovulating?

#11 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I get BAD migraines the first day of my period, so I totally feel your pain. I wasn't concerned with taking ibuprofen + codeine phosphate (Nurofen plus) this month, because I hadn't ovulated yet and I knew the drug would be out of my system by the time I did. I wouldn't recommend taking anything like that during the 2ww though (not just because it would possible be bad for bebe), just because if you have a blood test you could test positive for opiates.

I think I'd just take 2 acetaminaphen and lay in a dark room. I'm sorry you're feeling badly!

Alicewyf: Doula, wife to DH, and mama to Lillian (7/09) , Daniel (6/12). (11/14).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page