40 + TTC - SUMMER OF BFP's, HOPE, LOVE & SUPPORT - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 449 Old 08-14-2008, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello my darling friends. I am so lucky to be able to come here most days and "see" you. It really makes a difference in my life.

DHEA not only increases PG rates but according to the Centre for Human Reproduction (check out their website) also decreases m/c rates in "older women" substantially. I know not everyone can take it and it shouldn't be taken long term (4 months at a time seems to be the recommended amount). I had my DHEA and testosterone levels tested while I was taking it.

Unfortunately, it is not available in Canada, I had to mail order it from the US.
But I will be telling my RE that I took it last week because I think it is valuable information that many women could benefit from.

Of course, I think the 8 months of acupunture and herbs helped too!

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#302 of 449 Old 08-14-2008, 01:02 PM

Ugh! I have my first yeast infection since 1992! Does anyone have any suggestions for curing it. So far I am taking super probiotics and last night tried yogurt. I also cut all sugar out of my diet but I don't eat a lot of things with sugar to begin with. What else should I try? To make matters worse Af is starting today. Yuck. Any thoughts on using tampons with a yeast infection?

Now to my next question is it possible that the chinese herbs I just started last Thursday could have contributed to my developing a YI? Or is it just a weird coincidence?

TIA

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#303 of 449 Old 08-14-2008, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Kristin, I'm a firm believer in Diflucan (the one shot pill), but it may not be appropriate to take in pregnancy (I would check w/dr on that). But there are also the OTC remedies - vaginal suppositories, 3 or 5 day tx. Not sure if probiotics can help at this point to get rid of it. When I take the Diflucan, I also take lots of probiotics at the same time, as the remedy kills all yeast, even the good stuff.

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

#304 of 449 Old 08-14-2008, 01:42 PM

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, everyone.

kristin, I haven't had a YI in a while so I don't really have any suggestions. Sorry. They can be so uncomfortable.
#305 of 449 Old 08-14-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin0105 View Post
Ugh! I have my first yeast infection since 1992! Does anyone have any suggestions for curing it. So far I am taking super probiotics and last night tried yogurt. I also cut all sugar out of my diet but I don't eat a lot of things with sugar to begin with. What else should I try? To make matters worse Af is starting today. Yuck. Any thoughts on using tampons with a yeast infection?

Now to my next question is it possible that the chinese herbs I just started last Thursday could have contributed to my developing a YI? Or is it just a weird coincidence?

TIA
I haven't had one for years...knock on wood...but when I would first get the hint of one I would use Nystatin ointment that you can buy for a couple of bucks over the counter.
#306 of 449 Old 08-14-2008, 03:21 PM

I always get a YI in early PG and then once about every other year. I dont eat yogurt but just taking probiotics works fine for me. Apparently you can also just the probiotic capsule "up there" or a clove of garlic. I've never tried either but my naturopath says they work great.

#307 of 449 Old 08-14-2008, 05:47 PM

Hello Times up! I can't help you with the sperm donor questions as I have my own sperm donor that I get to sleep with nightly...but as for your doc, I would tell him to go fly a kite! I am still working on getting pg but I refuse to let anyone tell me that I am too old. I know my body and it tells me I am not too old to have a baby. There are tons of stories of women who get pg at our ages, so people DO get pg at 46 and older! If it's what you want...then go for it!
#308 of 449 Old 08-14-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
I always get a YI in early PG and then once about every other year. I dont eat yogurt but just taking probiotics works fine for me. Apparently you can also just the probiotic capsule "up there" or a clove of garlic. I've never tried either but my naturopath says they work great.
Garlic huh ... well ya' learn something new everyday.
#309 of 449 Old 08-14-2008, 09:20 PM

Well, I have a migraine, which I usually get on CD1, and brown spotting, so it looks like I'm out for this cycle. And it was probably our last shot, so to speak, since the shots are so pricey.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#310 of 449 Old 08-14-2008, 09:58 PM

Jen I am so sorry.

Married to the love of my life, mom to DS :
#311 of 449 Old 08-14-2008, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Jen, forgive me, but what shots are you referring to? I'm talking to new IVF clinics, and finding out that I'll have to do a mock cycle (which ticks me off, thank you, since I'm on cd 6 and if I had known, I would have started the protocol with this cycle....now I have to wait ANOTHER month....). (In my mock cycle, I'll take estrogen of some sort or another to build the lining...)

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

#312 of 449 Old 08-15-2008, 01:24 AM

I'm not doing IVF, I've been just doing FSH injections to create "superovulation" then doing an IUI with dh's sperm -- it worked when I was 36, but 6 years later, it's another story. Sigh. I hate it hate it hate it that time is not on my side. I am getting more spotting, figure tomorrow, which would have been my test day, will be CD1. This last time, ds went with me to almost all the appointments with me, and said towards the end, "this time, if it doesn't work, give up, I am tired of all these appointments!" (he's not a morning person, and often they were in the early am to be able to get results in time for calculating FSH amounts. And really, the closer I get to 43, the less likely it seems. With ds, we only had to do two rounds of shots, and the second round was enough. This time was the second round, and this time it doesn't seem to have worked. So I am definitely taking a break for awhile, and by the time I get through that break, I will practically be 43 and too old for the clinic (unless I'm willing to do DE, which we can't afford).

#313 of 449 Old 08-15-2008, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry Jen. When you were previously pregnant, a few months ago, was that naturally or via assistance? There is still hope, non?

It sucks though, age, miscarriages, desire, age gap...so many concerns.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#314 of 449 Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 AM

The miscarriage was from the other round of Follistim (FSH) that I did. I took a couple cycles (more than two months due to a super long post-m/c cycle) off between this one and the one that ended in the m/c. It really does suck big time. It's just about sent me off the deep end this time. I am so pissed at the universe for doing this to me.

#315 of 449 Old 08-15-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
The miscarriage was from the other round of Follistim (FSH) that I did. I took a couple cycles (more than two months due to a super long post-m/c cycle) off between this one and the one that ended in the m/c. It really does suck big time. It's just about sent me off the deep end this time. I am so pissed at the universe for doing this to me.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#316 of 449 Old 08-15-2008, 11:10 AM

Oh Jen, so sorry to hear that AF seems to be on her way. It's hard enough TTC'ing in our 40's without extra fertility challenges. I know it's also frustrating when it comes down to an issue of money. It's just not fair.

I've been lurking.... It's great to see all the new ladies here and all the BFP's lately.

Congratulations Lovbeingamommy! : Wishing you a H&H pregnancy.

Sunrise: Please except my late condolences on your loss. I hope your visit to Turkey will be fruitful.

Ms. GB: Great news about the insurance coverage! Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

Veganmama: Hoping that you're feeling better.

Sorry, it's been too long to totally catch up on personals. But I'm sending everyone good vibes : and

AFM, I'm in the 2ww of my first IVF cycle. They put back 2 embryos on Monday. Wish me luck!

DS 31/01/10, TTC #2
#317 of 449 Old 08-15-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
Jen I am so sorry...any chance that the spotting could just be implantation? That is always the way each of my pregnancies went....brown spotting around the time of my period. I always knew it was different due to the color of the spotting. I hope you are able to take some time for yourself today, even if you have to cancel out on life for a few hours. You deserve it and sounds like you need it. Is there a friend that DS can spend the day with today?
#318 of 449 Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 PM

Jen, I'm new here but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you are going through this.
#319 of 449 Old 08-15-2008, 03:35 PM

Thanks everyone. Yep, I have AF today, red blood on the toilet paper. Sigh. I was up most of last night (probably mostly because I'd drunk three cups of strong green tea to fight the migraine), and a lot of it was spent beating myself up for being in this position and just generally feeling like crap. Today the weather is hot and we should go somewhere, since we don't have AC, but I just don't feel like it.

#320 of 449 Old 08-15-2008, 08:54 PM

Jen, I'm so sorry. I do understand that the injectibles are expensive and that you may need to take a break for a while. That said, you did have a BFP recently, that's a great sign. I forget, have you tried (or can you try) DHEA? It's super cheap and it is supposed to REALLY increase egg quality. Maybe think about taking it while you are taking your break? It can't hurt (as low as your DHEAS and/or testoterone are not already elevated).

Stealthee, it's so nice to see you!!! Gosh, how exciting to be in the 2ww of an IVF cycle! My fingers and toes are crossed for you. How did you find the IVF?

#321 of 449 Old 08-16-2008, 02:02 AM

Yeah, you know, VM, my testosterone was high before I had ds, but it tends to be on the low side now, so maybe it wouldn't hurt. I'm going to talk to a new naturopath who specializes in fertility on Monday.

#322 of 449 Old 08-16-2008, 06:50 PM

Jen, I really think that is worth a shot (no pun intended). Now I'm really excited!

#323 of 449 Old 08-16-2008, 07:56 PM

[QUOTE=msgoodbuns;11937462
There aren't many of us here who are single and TTC'ing, so I welcome having a new buddy![/QUOTE]

Well, one of the reasons foir that is that your old buddy is NAKing her 7 month old.

Time's Up, I sent you a PM but I forgot to mention (and thought ShellBell62 might also like to hear) that my internet friend, Cheryl Lindsey-Seelhoff was 46 when she conceived her youngest and she is really not the type at all (and probably doesn't have the money) for anything as high tech as donor eggs.

Here is another site full of stories of pregnancy and birth by women over the age of 44.

It is not impossible, especially if you know that you are still ovulating. I know that is easy for me to say at the young age of 43, but I almost lost my precious baby boy before he was even conceived because I believed that what your doctor told you was true of myself.

My donor did not charge me a cent and only asked for me to reimburse his travel expenses. The insem that worked took place in a Motel 6.

Terran was born at home unassisted after a normal, healthy, and uneventful pregnancy. He continues to thrive and bring joy to everyone he comes in contact with.
#324 of 449 Old 08-17-2008, 12:48 AM

Thanks Spider....I have been to that stories site. It is one of my favorites. When I am feeling not so hopeful I go there and read some of the stories and it always helps me know that I can do this!

Jen - Keep trying!! Don't give up!
#325 of 449 Old 08-17-2008, 01:58 PM

Wow... lots of pregnancies and new women added to our thread! Yay!

Just an update from my little corner of the world... today is the last day of the fair, so I'm busy busy busy. I'm just beginning my fertile time... and DH is out of commission. My poor hubby is having trouble with his blood thinners this time. He had a heart valve transplant almost 3 years ago, and has been doing great. On Friday, his blood thinner levels were way too high (his last test two weeks ago was perfect) and he has been losing blood into his urine. We went to the ER on Friday and found out what was going on. Yesterday he was in incredible pain as he passed some large blood clots that had formed in his bladder. We can't get his blood tested again until Monday, when the clinic opens. I'm hoping he begins to feel better soon. I hate to see him in pain. I'm counting myself out this cycle unless some miracle happens and his problem resolves. It takes a lot to put him off of sex.... gotta love him!

Anyway, good luck to all of you this month and I'll be back once the fair is done with and hubby's situation is stabilized.
#326 of 449 Old 08-17-2008, 04:49 PM

Toni, sorry to hear about your dh, that must have been so scary. Hope he feels better soon.

#327 of 449 Old 08-17-2008, 11:54 PM

Hello all, I will be forty in three weeks, does that entitle me to be here? I hope so. I also have other children that are older, and now I have a five month old with my new husband, we are trying for another, and hoping it wont be difficult. There is a big age difference between us. He is 25 and you know now how old I am. We have been together for a little over three years and now that he is a father he couldn't be happier. We want at least one more maybe more. Since having my 5 month old, I realize having children older is so much more rewarding. I have so much more patience and enjoy things that I didn't realize with my older two children. Please wish me luck and I will do the same for everyone here.
Has anyone here had a very short af and turned out to be pg. I only had mine for 2 1/2 days and it went away, never ever happened before?
#328 of 449 Old 08-18-2008, 01:56 AM

Welcome, Septemberbaby68! We're always ready for more people to join in!

Thanks for the concern, Pookietooth... we're just taking it one day at a time....
#329 of 449 Old 08-18-2008, 11:21 AM

Toni, lots of positive thoughts for DH to get healthy soon! That must have been pretty frightening!

Welcome September! Congrats on your little one and on TTC again. You are often more fertile within 2 years of giving birth so hopefully you will be able to get PG again as soon as you want.

Spider, it's nice to see you here! You were our only ray of hope for such a long time on this thread. Now thankfully we have a whole slew of PG ladies to spread the babydust around to everyone. Keep the updates coming!

AFM, my u/s is on Thursday. I'm kind of dreading it in a way. Being so symptom-less is nerve-wracking.

#330 of 449 Old 08-18-2008, 11:29 AM

Septemberbaby68 Welcome!

Toni I'm so sorry for your DH. Hope he is feeling better soon. My DH has hemophelia so we have had bleeding issues sometimes too. I hope he can get some rest.

Stealthee When is your 2WW up? I'm so excited for you! Hoping for a

Wow....I would have thought I would get a temp shift by now. I'm on CD 17 and still no rise. I must not have O'd yet. Wonder why it's so late? We are just trying to keep up with the BD'ing so we don't miss it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page