TTC with diva cup or instead cup? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard of this, putting in a cup after you DTD to keep it all up by the cervix. Anyone trying this? Do you use instead or Diva or something else? Is there a difference?

wife to treehugger.gif, mama to carrot.gif(7/06) and joy.gif(4/09), plusdog2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 07-15-2008, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use the instead, I have heard that since the instead is more shallow it works better then the instead. I HATE HATE HATE the feeling of taking out the instead cup. I can feel it pop off my cervix and scrape across my pubic bone. Just be forwarned.

OT. if any knows is the diva feel like this? I've always kinda wanted one but I would hate to spend all the money just to find that I hate it.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#3 of 31 Old 07-15-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

I have the diva cup for my AF and I love it. I haven't tried the instead cup, so I can't comment on the difference between the two. I didn't know the instead cup was shallower. So maybe it would be better for TTC, cause the diva cup is pretty deep. It wouldn't really keep stuff up by the cervix all that well it seems.

Any one else have experience with this?

wife to treehugger.gif, mama to carrot.gif(7/06) and joy.gif(4/09), plusdog2.gif

#4 of 31 Old 07-15-2008, 05:00 PM

Like *Robin* I've only used the Diva cup. I absolutley love it but don't see how it could help anything since it collects so low in the vagina.
#5 of 31 Old 07-15-2008, 05:12 PM

I've used instead cups for a couple of months- they take some getting used to, but do hold everything up there! I will probably buy more when I run out- whatever it takes!
#6 of 31 Old 07-15-2008, 05:18 PM

this is a great idea!!!

i just got a diva cup and haven't used it for my period yet...

maybe i'll try the instead for ttc...it makes logical sense to me....
#7 of 31 Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 PM

I've used both Instead cups and my Mooncup (UK) for TTC. Yes, the Instead is shallower but it gets kind of wrinkly in there and I absolutely can NOT remove it without a mess. A fling-across-the-room type mess (sorrry, TMI!). The Mooncup is deeper (but not as deep as the Diva - see the comparisons on the Love My Cup site at www.lovemycup.com) but it still holds everything up there, especially if I'm going to bed after DTD.

Good luck!
#8 of 31 Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by because View Post
I absolutely can NOT remove it without a mess.
AH HA! so I'm not alone! during AF I've made messes (cover your ears) like running down your arm mess...

using them in TTC the mess is less. I kinda like them, It feels like I am doing something helpful! I've heard the queer ladies will use them, so the little cups must be doing something!

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#9 of 31 Old 07-15-2008, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've used both for AF, and they sit differently, for all that they serve the same function. I'd agree that the Diva probably wouldn't do much for conception.

(I'm not really *proficient* at either, but the Diva definitely has less chance of disaster. My only real horror story involved a stuck-behind-the-pubic-bone Instead in a public, multi-gender bathroom with no lock. THREE guys opened the door on me trying to get the damned thing out!!! I figured they got what they deserved.... I did remove it with no carnage, it just took about 15 minutes. Might have been less if I could've relaxed.)

DH(38) + I(37) have been working on collaborative project #1 for 6 years, fighting more battles than I ever imagined. 2/2014 - IVF cycle =  due in mid November!
#10 of 31 Old 07-15-2008, 10:17 PM

kriket~~i saw that you have recently lost 50lbs...

how did you lose it?
#11 of 31 Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 PM

I'm a calorie counter! I'm on 1200 cal/ day I walk to work and do 500 cals in cardio a day. here's to your loss if thats what you are going for! (I've actually lost 52!

#12 of 31 Old 07-17-2008, 08:27 PM

While most say that whatever sperm will make it into your uterus do so within minutes if not seconds of the man ejaculating.. I still used Instead Cups when TTC. Not sure if it helped, as we had cycles I used it and no conception and then cycles I used it and conception occurred.

I think it's more important to be drinking plenty of water (I did water, cranberry juice and grapefruit juice) to have good EWCM. And then for my peace of mind, I lay down after DTD for a good half hour and make sure to have an ... afterwards as well as it's said the uterus dips down due to the contraction.

But yep, I used Instead. And when 12 hours had passed, I just squatted over the toilet to take it out, tossed it in the garbage and quickly washed my hands. Ick, lol.
#13 of 31 Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 PM

kriket... i would eat like crazy if i did all that exercising..i walk for 40 min per day and try to eat healthy...a fertility diet...

UberMomma...are you talking about an orgasm after? i just want to be sure...i haven't heard that...i usually have mine before or during (or lately i just give it up because it's too much work) but usually not after...is that what you are talking about? i can use all the help i can get...
#14 of 31 Old 07-18-2008, 12:06 AM

Yep, when TTC, I usually can't help but orgasm during but I make sure to bring myself to orgasm after DH has ejaculated. When you orgasm, your uterus contracts and dips down, supposedly it can help "suck up" the sperm.
#15 of 31 Old 07-18-2008, 04:41 PM

i am going to try that...

i read online today that just before he does is good bc the contractions help the sperm...but who can time it like that? we are not so experienced at that...and with all the other pressure...ugh...

it's a good goal though...

how about before, during, and after!!?? that should really help, eh? :
#16 of 31 Old 07-18-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandy View Post

how about before, during, and after!!?? that should really help, eh? :
Good plan!
#17 of 31 Old 07-18-2008, 05:47 PM

I heard somewhere that you should "O" before he does, something about Oing after pushes all the swimmers out? I dunno. May you could O after but before he "leaves you"

#18 of 31 Old 07-18-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
I heard somewhere that you should "O" before he does, something about Oing after pushes all the swimmers out? I dunno. May you could O after but before he "leaves you"
i've heard this about doing kegals... is it the same muscles?
#19 of 31 Old 07-18-2008, 06:57 PM

When the man withdraws, try to break the suction between the penis and your vagina. I can get more detailed via PM if needed. Have him withdraw slowly. Try and have your hips semi propped up (but not too much) when doing this.

If you orgasm before he does, it's said that the acidity of the arousal fluids could kill some of the sperm once he ejaculates. So I try to not orgasm during sex (when TTC) and only do it after he has finished.
#20 of 31 Old 07-18-2008, 10:56 PM

so many different things are said...it's interesting...

i guess we'll have to try them all (but hopefully we'll conceive before we have time for that!)
#21 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 09:44 AM

I saw a movie on conception several years ago. I remember that when you O, the tip of your cervix dips down and "picks up" sperm. So, I would assume that means that it would be better if you O'd after him eh?

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#22 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 03:46 PM

I saw the same movie, it was like a NOVA thing probably.

Honestly, I don't think it really matters If arousal fluid killed sperm then sex shouldn't be enjoyable. If orgasming pushes them out, then sex shouldn't be fun and lead to orgasm!
I like the instead because I can slip it in, those few prime days a month and not have to run off to the bathroom to clean up, and not have to sit in a sticky sweaty mess!

#23 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 06:53 PM

okay,..this instead cup is confusing....

i put it in a couple of times...

and i have looked on the website and that doesn't help...

when i insert it and then put my finger in, i only feel the rim which is very close to coming out...

is this right? i just can't seem to get it...

help?
#24 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 07:30 PM

I read that *some* arousal fluid can kill sperm, not that it'd kill all, lol.

Tandy, are you pushing the cup up so far that it tucks up above your pubic bone? I know I have a hard time reaching myself. Then for removal, I squat over the toilet as far down as possible, break the seal and pull it out. Difficult though!
#25 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 11:32 PM

@ Tandy Mine seems to do that too, It's almost like its in sideways. It seems to stay I actually forgot about it this morning from DTD last night! Like UberMama said make sure that it it tucked behind your pubic bone. Also, it helps me if when you have it folded to put it in instead of going in strait down the middle press it along the wall of your vagina towards your back, that way it doesn't get on the wrong side of your cervix and squashing it (and defeating the purpose!)

#26 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 11:37 PM

i have been studying my internal anatomy half the day and am totally confused...i haven't studied it much before...

i think maybe the thing is too big...i push it up like the directions say and it stays in a vertical position...with part of the rim very close to the vaginal opening...and i got it pushed as far up as it will go...

as for where my pubic bone is...i can't really tell...and i don't know what is the wrong side of my cervix...

i honestly have been so frustrated that i feel like crying....

googling all kinds of pictures and having my fingers up there half the day!
#27 of 31 Old 07-19-2008, 11:55 PM

get a mirror and dig around! are you small? Maybe you're just too small for it! Also, when I was severely overweight I couldn't wear one. I don't know if that matters or I just hadn't figured it out yet. My roommate couldn't wear one either, they would pop out again, she was small and severely overweight. Good luck, you'll get the hang of it!

#28 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 12:41 AM

This is what I do - I squeeze it and insert it vertically. The part of the cup that goes into the vagina first goes towards the back (so towards your anus) and the bottom of the cup that goes in last you push up further towards your front and it should sort of lock in place above your pubic bone.

If you squat down low and use one or two fingers, insert them into your vagina and feel around toward the front (the front of your body, so not towards your anus) as deep in as you can go. You should feel a very hard bump which is of course bone and that is the pubic bone.

I actually found a really good diagram, PM me if you want the link.
#29 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 01:27 PM

it doesn't lock into place behind my pubic bone...there is too much puffy tissue there for it to lock in place..

maybe i am too overweight for it...or maybe too small (well i don't know if height matters but i am 5'91/2" ~not exactly small)...or maybe both...

my cervix is definitely in there but the cup is like suctioned to it...but the rim is close to coming out...it's around the area of my pubic bone but that is not very far from my vaginal opening...it's not way up there...

i am going to continue to explore though...

thanks for all the help ladies....
#30 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 AM

Tandy, I had some issues with the cup as well at first anyway. I've been told numerous times I have a small abdomen and pelvis (since I was 13 and I am told this by every doctor and OB/MW I see as well). So I wondered if that had to do with it for me anyway.

User Tag List