vitex/chasteberry dosage? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi there-
i used vitex/chasteberry to help conceive my son with great success. in now trying to conceive #2, i want to use vitex again- and can't remember how much/when i took it last time. i have the tincture- can anyone tell me how much they take/took and did you stop post ovulation or post achieving pregnancy? i see differing opinions on this online- stopping once you ovulate so you're not taking it while pregnant, and other places say it doesn't do any damage if you're pregnant.
thanks in advance!

mama to my home birthed brothers
jack 10.13.05 gabriel kai 6.9.09
#2 of 19 Old 08-03-2008, 01:27 PM

i'd love the answer for this too. i am going to pick up some today.
#3 of 19 Old 08-03-2008, 02:13 PM

I'm not sure about the dosage. On the liquid tincture I was taking, I took it 3x daily, based on something I read, but I can't verify this is the correct dose because it depends on the strength of the extract. Now I'm taking it in tablet form, twice a day, 500mg in each dose.

Many old school traditional herbalists don't seem to see it horribly contradicted in pregnancy, though it isn't recommended for any early pregnancy maladies. My own (future) midwife recommended that I gradually wean myself off of it after I confirm I'm pregnant.

Its action seems to be mostly about balancing and boosting progesterone production during the luteal phase, so I'd guess it might be important to take vitex during the luteal phase. Also, it typically takes 2-3 cycles to work.

Oh, and unrelated tidbit: Rosemary Gladstar writes that chasteberry can be used to stimulate milk production and can be taking starting a week before the birth as a "birthing aid."

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#4 of 19 Old 08-04-2008, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My herbalist suggested I take 3 mls of vitex first thing in the am. The hormones that it works on, peak in the early morning hours so it is most effective if taken that way. I took it during my entire cycle, and I also continued to take it until 13 wks of DD2's pg. There was one study (german?) that showed it might decrease the chance of m/c by increasing progesterone levels. I wouldn't take it past the first tri though, but I finally intend on taking it in the first tri of next pg.

On a side note, I know vitex is often listed as a herb to increase supply, I have not had that side effect, in fact it has always caused me to lose my otherwise great milk supply. I know this is not an uncommon side effect either.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 19 Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM

I'm taking vitex as well and am glad to see that I am in fact supposed to take it through the luteal phase. I wasn't sure about that!
#6 of 19 Old 08-04-2008, 11:44 AM

how should i be taking vitex if i haven't had af yet? do i just take it everyday?
#7 of 19 Old 08-04-2008, 11:10 PM

When I used vitex to induce AF back, I took it just like I did when I was TTCing.

#8 of 19 Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melrose View Post
how should i be taking vitex if i haven't had af yet? do i just take it everyday?
That's what I would do.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#9 of 19 Old 08-05-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
There was one study (german?) that showed it might decrease the chance of m/c by increasing progesterone levels. I wouldn't take it past the first tri though, but I finally intend on taking it in the first tri of next pg.

On a side note, I know vitex is often listed as a herb to increase supply, I have not had that side effect, in fact it has always caused me to lose my otherwise great milk supply. I know this is not an uncommon side effect either.
Very interesting about the first trimester information, and about taking it early in the a.m.! And really good to know about the milk supply! You're just a wealth of information--thanks so much!

#10 of 19 Old 08-06-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
When I used vitex to induce AF back, I took it just like I did when I was TTCing.

Does anyone know how to induce af using vitex, like you described?

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#11 of 19 Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 PM

I didn't have to induce her this time, she came back by herself. : But last time I did 1ml of vitex 3 times a day, that was before I consulted with an herbalist. It worked though. This time around, I had planned on taking 3 ml in the am like I do when I'm TTCing.

#12 of 19 Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#13 of 19 Old 08-07-2008, 10:47 AM

I am on CD6, still having AF. I am wanting to ovulate earlier this cycle (last cycle was CD38!) and have a longer LP phase (it was 10 days). Should I take it through O and then stop? Thanks!

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#14 of 19 Old 08-07-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliShanti View Post
I am on CD6, still having AF. I am wanting to ovulate earlier this cycle (last cycle was CD38!) and have a longer LP phase (it was 10 days). Should I take it through O and then stop? Thanks!
Chasteberry is not really a short term fix, from what I've read or experienced. If you start it now during this cycle, its effects will probably take a few cycles to show up.

Herbals usually mention that it works by "balancing" the hormones, and balancing takes time (sort of like if you spin in circles for a few seconds, it will take a few seconds to get your balance back when you stop spinning, but if you spin in circles for a minute, it will take longer to regain your balance).

Also,the herb can help to boost progesterone production, which is what determines the LP, so if you want to increase your LP, I don't think it makes sense to take it only through ovulation and then stop.

I usually take a break from it during AF and take it throughout the rest of my cycle, but this isn't a universal practice.

#15 of 19 Old 08-07-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_and_lavender View Post
Chasteberry is not really a short term fix, from what I've read or experienced. If you start it now during this cycle, its effects will probably take a few cycles to show up.

Herbals usually mention that it works by "balancing" the hormones, and balancing takes time (sort of like if you spin in circles for a few seconds, it will take a few seconds to get your balance back when you stop spinning, but if you spin in circles for a minute, it will take longer to regain your balance).

Also,the herb can help to boost progesterone production, which is what determines the LP, so if you want to increase your LP, I don't think it makes sense to take it only through ovulation and then stop.

I usually take a break from it during AF and take it throughout the rest of my cycle, but this isn't a universal practice.

I agree completely. Vitex takes time to build up in your body to reach the correct levels to do anything, 2-3 months is average. I don't take any breaks from vitex but if I were I would during AF like sky_and_lavender.

#16 of 19 Old 08-07-2008, 02:18 PM

Hi Peony and skyandlavendar- Since you guys seem to be the experts here, I hope you don't mind if I chime in with a question.... I also have a tincture, the brand is Herb Pharm (amber colored label)...do you have any idea how can I find out the strength in order to determine if 3 ml is a good dose or not? Or is it assumed that all tinctures would have a similar strength? The dosing on the bottle says 30-40 drops (which is 1 dropper full) 2-3 times per day.
Also, what are your thoughts on the safety and dosage of Vitex while BFing?
Thanks!

Editing to add- my son is almost 2 and I just had my first cycle after PPAF. My cycle length was "normal" for me-- 28 days exactly, but I ovulated late (CD19) so my LP was too short. So I am taking B6 and conisdering vitex in order to try and move up O and therefore lengthen LP. My son still nurses- not much during the day but a lot at night.

Editig again to add- I actually found the answers on kellymom. Just searched vitex...
Sounds like 3ml of tincture is good, and is safe with BFing.

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#17 of 19 Old 08-08-2008, 06:44 PM

Hi abigail,

I'm glad you found what you needed. I didn't answer because I was waiting for more time to confirm what I thought was the right answer (because I'm really not an expert, just a bookworm ) . Good luck with chasteberry!

#18 of 19 Old 08-08-2008, 06:51 PM

2 droppers full 3x a day. I O'ed within 2 weeks, and stoppoed taking it when I got the BFP

I am holding in my arms the cute, chubby product of Vitex! That stuff really works.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#19 of 19 Old 08-11-2008, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

thank you everyone for your answers- sorry to not reply sooner. house guests!
i have been taking vitex since day 1 of my cycle and am at day 12 today- so i'll keep taking it and go from there. i HATE waiting two weeks before you know one way or the other. thanks again all and blessings.

mama to my home birthed brothers
jack 10.13.05 gabriel kai 6.9.09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page