Acidity - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-09-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, ladies -

I am new to this section of the board - and honestly, not expecting any difficulty concieving. But I want to "try" for a girl for the first cycle - after that I'll go with anything goes . . .

So I've done my research and of the many possible "try for a girl" techniques, I am willing and able to a) make my mucous more acidic and b) maybe get DH to take some hot baths! I've got Alkalive pH Test Strips 4.5 - 9.0.

My saliva tests in the 6.5 ish range. My vaginal mucous, however, could not possibly be a higher number than 4.5, and that's even a little iffy. That's really acidic, right?

So when various sources say you want your pH to be in the 4 - 5.5 range, are they talking saliva, urine, or vaginal secretions?

And, how is your acidity "supposed" to change during your cycle? I am at the very end of my cycle right now - will the acidity go up or down around ovulation?

Any help would be much appreciated . . .

(Now how to get DH to take those hot baths . . .)

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#2 of 8 Old 08-09-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabeakley View Post

And, how is your acidity "supposed" to change during your cycle? I am at the very end of my cycle right now - will the acidity go up or down around ovulation?
Wow. Yet another nuance that I have yet to learn about! I can't really help you out Mamabeakley, but I'm interested in reading the other responses you get. And, good luck with getting your little girl.

I'm loving life with my DH and DS (2/28/10) and expecting the surprise of my life in September! belly.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif

#3 of 8 Old 08-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Banned

From what I read, you're more likely to control the sex of your baby by your timing of intercourse (and even then, this is only successful like 55% of the time). Male sperm swim faster but don't very long, female sperm swim slower but last longer. So, to have a boy, have sex ONLY right before ovulation. To have a girl, have sex in the days before ovulation.
#4 of 8 Old 08-10-2008, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well, see, I'm pretty unwilling to "time it" and I think DH would just about laugh his head off at the very idea. And with only a 55% success rate . . . not that acidity and temperature have high success rates, either . . .

So, anybody as to which pH is supposed to be what, when?

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#5 of 8 Old 08-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabeakley View Post
Well, see, I'm pretty unwilling to "time it" and I think DH would just about laugh his head off at the very idea. And with only a 55% success rate . . . not that acidity and temperature have high success rates, either . . .

So, anybody as to which pH is supposed to be what, when?
Why would he laugh at timing intercourse -which has several studies to back it up- versus acidity?

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=52103

Oh, and I was wrong. According to the link I gave you intercourse timing is accurate about 75% of the time (slightly lower for girls than boys). Although new evidence is saying you may need to do the reverse? I denno. But it is a pretty valid theory that's been around for years.
#6 of 8 Old 08-11-2008, 02:44 PM

I'm no expert but just wanted to add my experience for you....

DS was an accident BUT I do know that he was conceived from DTD 3-4 days BEFORE O, that was it for us that month. I also think my recent diet change helped.

You are supposed to be alkaline to help conceive a boy and more acid for a girl. I had cut WAY back on dairy and also on wheat both of which will make you really acidic.

I think for us it was my diet which helped in conceiving a boy. I don't think timing has too much to do with it. My SIL has tried 2 times to have a boy and she just had a 3rd girl. She LOVES cheese and bread, both of which will make you acidic.

My other SIL doesn't eat any dairy at all because of allergies and they hardly eat any wheat/bread and they have 3 boys. My neighbor across the street is a heavy diary and wheat/bread eater and she had a girl.

So for me I am a heavy believer that diet and being acid/alkaline has a LOT to do with it.

Also it is your cm that you want to be acid/alkaline depending on what gender you are trying for.

HTH! I hope you get your girl!
#7 of 8 Old 08-11-2008, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

I find the timing confusing, since there are two diametrically opposed theories, both of which have their proponents. Also, since our usual method of BC is FAM/Withdrawal, MORE avoiding just at the time when BD is most appealing to both of us just isn't going to happen. I know about timing, I'm just not going to do it.

Thanks for your responses!

#8 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 08:34 AM

I'll be trying for a girl when we start trying in October. Here's some links I've come across so far:

How to conceive a girl: The Shettles Method
http://www.babyhopes.com/how-to-conceive-a-girl.html

Girl Diet
http://www.geocities.com/genderdeter...n/girdiet.html

TTC Supplements
http://www.geocities.com/genderdeter...pplements.html

Acidifying Foods
http://www.geocities.com/genderdetermination/ph.html

The Shettles Method is not just "timing" related. It also has to do with ph levels. The simple explanation is that to have a girl you have sex 3-4 days before ovulation because that is when your cervical mucus is "usually" more acidic (favoring the female sperm). When you have sex at the time of ovulation, most women's cervical mucus is more alkaline (favoring the male sperm). Eggwhite mucus tends to me more alkaline which is why you want to avoid it and decrease it when trying for a girl. I've read that the man's semen ph matters as well. For a girl you want to get the man's semen ph down to around 7 and the woman's cm down to around 4.5 or 5.0. I've taken a few cm ph samples of myself and they've usually been around 4.5 BUT my EWCM was a 6.5. My boyfriend's semen sample was 8.5 the other day. We have one son. We will both be taking cranberry supplements to get our ph down before TTC. Only semen and cm ph levels matter-- not urine or saliva.

For a girl, you also want to have shallow sex in the missionary position, avoid orgasm in the woman, and avoid caffeine in both partners. I've also read that the lubricant Replens is best to use to help keep ph levels down because it has a ph of 2.8.

I've found a TON of info on here as well: http://www.in-gender.com/

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page