Mothering Forum banner

DPO to take a HPT?

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  musiclady 
#1 ·
Ok, enlighten me. How many DPO should you be to take a HPT? As far as I can figure, you should be able to take a early response test at 9 DPO. Is this correct? How early did you guys get positives? I am a POAS-a-holic.

#7 ·
I did some reading...

Here is the deal.

The egg will implant between day 7-10. Thats average. I am sure, and have read, it can implant a bit sooner or a bit later. It happens.

The hormone levels that the tests test for will not show up until the egg has implanted. So you can test, techincally on day 7 I guess with a sensitive tester. But if the eggy hasnt implanted yet, you arnt going to get any sure result.

It sure is hard waiting though!...Buy a bunch on ebay for really cheap and just pee on one every morning until you get the BFP lol. That way it doesnt at least cost you a lot of money and you satisfy the desire to piss on a stick lol (thats my plan at least lol)

#8 ·
10dpo is usually acceptable on the early side, 12dpo is standard, and TCOYF says 18dpo with high temps is just as accurate as a BFP!

So there's really no benefit to testing early because if it's negative, it might not REALLY be negative, so you'll end up testing later again anyway. My vote is to wait until you know you can believe the answer you get, otherwise that's just too much to obsess over.

#11 ·
It is different with every person. I got neg. results at 10 and 12 dpo and then on 14dpo it was really faint on a dollar store test and I got a positive digital later that day without holding my pee at all.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valid28 View Post
If I test at 10 dpo do I have to use fmu?
I got a BFP at 10 dpo with non-FMU
It was the second one of the day. I also waited 4-5 hours and took another digital one later in the day to confirm the results.

#13 ·
I'm in the same boat, waiting and testing since 8 DPO and all negative, but I got another rise at 7 DPO and it stayed steady and rose again at 11 DPO and is still there. If I'm not preggo I'll menstruate tomorrow as 12 day luteal phase is the longest for me. I'v ebeen using the First Response Early preg tests. But you have to remember that it still will only detect a pregnancy when your hcg reaches a minimal level, and once it is implanted it could take days to reach that level. For me, with my first I took a test 2 days after I missed my period and it was negative, it took nearly a week after to get a positive. Similar with #3 (I don't remember with #2). Those early detection tests that say you can test 5 days before your period is due counts on the medical myth of a textbook cycle of 28 days and ovulation at 14 days. So what it is saying is 11 DPO. I ovulate later so for me that is the day after my period is due. It's a HARD WAIT! I bought some cheap early pregnancy tests that detect at a smaller level than the First Response tests and am hoping htey arrive today (ordered from www.early-pregnancy-tests.com). They were shipped on the 30th, so I was kinda hopping they'd get to me by this point but oh well, maybe today. But I'd recommend those if you'd like to test early, they're really cheap and apparantly very reliable, so you could test as much as you want without spending a fortune.

#14 ·
I got some of those midstream early pregnancy tests at saveontests.com. They are half the price of that site!! I think 5 of them was $8 with shipping.

Anyway, I re-read their info on them and didn't realise that they detect an even lower amount of HCG than the FRER! Thats not good for my willpower. I might have to take one tomorrow morning (9dpo!)

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ima-06 View Post
If you can find cheaper OPKs than HPTs, you may be interested to know (see peeonastick.com) that you can use OPKs as HPTs (but not vice versa). To clarify: an OPK can tell you if you're pregnant, but an HPT cannot tell you if you're ovulating.
Had to go to that site. Got a big old laugh at the pee cup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.