Mothering Forum banner

Anyone get a negative HPT at 15 DPO but were actually pregnant? Interesting story from my mom in post #15

675K views 142 replies 55 participants last post by  ltmommawanna 
#1 ·
I think I'm just being neurotic. Please forgive and indulge me.

My cycles are 33 days long and pretty consistent. My best educated guess (guess because I do not chart temps) based on CM is that I O'd on CD 19. Today I am on CD 34, my period is due (I usually wake up with it or get it by mid morning). My cervix is also still quite high (usually is low prior to period). But I have a whole bunch of negative HPTs, including one from this morning.

I had totally made peace with the fact that it wasn't gonna happen this cycle: negative tests and really no symptoms (breasts aren't sore, not really fatigued, etc). Then, from about 9:30 to 12:30 earlier today I got hit with an intense wave of nausea. like having to take slow deep breaths to keep from puking.

Anyway, just wondered what you ladies think. I'm so frustrated. At this point, I'd like my period to just show up so I can get on with it, ya know?

I think I will lose my mind if I have a flukey cycle and wind up a week late or something.

#52 ·
Hi Shonahsmom!
I am in the EXACT same boat as you were in the beginning of all of this...I am 15dpo, and am getting BFNs every morning. I really feel pregnant. I am crampy and nauseous and so tired and so emotional. I have heartburn and am either ravenous, or feeling just plain sick. My mouth tastes like metal and I am so thirsty. My breasts just started feeling even more tender. Maybe I am waiting for AF. I keep expecting her, and then I just get creamy CM. I'd just love to know either way!
I am so excited that you started this thread!! Good luck - I can't wait to hear what happens. I think there's a baby brewing in there!

#54 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutbuttercup View Post
Hi Shonahsmom!
I am in the EXACT same boat as you...I am 15dpo, and am getting BFNs every morning. I really feel pregnant. I am crampy and nauseous and so tired and so emotional. I have heartburn and am either ravenous, or feeling just plain sick. My breasts just started feeling even more tender. Maybe I am waiting for AF. I keep expecting her, and then I just get creamy CM. I'd just love to know either way!
I am so excited to be on the same day as you!! Good luck - I can't wait to hear what happens. Do you have a chart?
Hey PBC! I thought I was 15 DPO when I started this thread, which would put me at 21 DPO today, but I don't chart temps so truly, I have no idea if/when I ovulated at this point. I had great EWCM on CD 17-19 and my cycle is usually 33 days long so days 17-19 would make sense, but it's just an educated guess. We have sex every other day pretty much all month long, so at this point it would be damn near impossible for me to pinpoint conception (if there is/was one).

I'm just a wee bit frustrated at this point.

#55 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shonahsmom View Post
Hey PBC! I thought I was 15 DPO when I started this thread, which would put me at 21 DPO today, but I don't chart temps so truly, I have no idea if/when I ovulated at this point. I had great EWCM on CD 17-19 and my cycle is usually 33 days long so days 17-19 would make sense, but it's just an educated guess. We have sex every other day pretty much all month long, so at this point it would be damn near impossible for me to pinpoint conception (if there is/was one).

I'm just a wee bit frustrated at this point.
I imagine you must be! I did a search on FF for late BFPs, and some mamas didn't test positive till way way way into their pregnancies!! I think that is great news! Also, the story about your mother is fascinating - I'd love to know why this happens to some people!

#56 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutbuttercup View Post
I imagine you must be! I did a search on FF for late BFPs, and some mamas didn't test positive till way way way into their pregnancies!! I think that is great news! Also, the story about your mother is fascinating - I'd love to know why this happens to some people!
Some people just don't excrete HCG into their urine. Weird, but it happens. I don't think anyone knows why.

#57 ·
Oh, Shonahsmom, what a saga! I'm glad you're being level-headed and patient with something that must be so emotional for you and dh!!
: I sure hope you get your BFP, mama!

#58 ·
I just wanted to add that I was doing some research on this phenomenon and it led me to some threads on pregnancy-info.net. I had a cycle last year when I my body was playing tricks on me and I thought I was pg despite bfns. There were lots of women were even getting bfn's from urine AND blood tests. One woman didn't find out until she had an ultrasound and she was like 4 months along. I noticed that these women said that their moms or aunts had similar experiences. Also, I found that this happens sometimes with twin pregnancies too. It's something about the hcg being so high that the test doesn't read it or something.

#59 ·
Wow! All these stories give those of us in the 2WW (or beyond) some hope, which I think we all need! Thanks for sharing!!

I've had light pink mucus for about a day now which is very atypical for my period, and I'm trying to stay positive while being realistic. Easier said than done. I can't wait to test!!!!!

#60 ·
please bear with me here. I have a story to tell and then a question to ask.

to begin with, here's my story with dd. i went off birth control pills and my periods were just not coming back. 6 months, 5 months long cycles. crazy stuff. at that point we weren't using protection any more. we decided that if it happens - it happens. i stopped believing that we'd be able to conceive without help. my cycles were crazy. then my boobs started hurting like crazy. I couldn't move my arms at all. it lasted for a while and i thought that it was PMS and I was about to get my period. but the period just wasn't coming. we were leaving for a vacation overseas, so I decided to test just in case. it was negative. we went on vacation and there I had days when I wasn't feeling myself, but I brushed it off thinking it was because climate, weather and time zone changes. we drank a lot there. i remember this very cold night and we were in a restaurant, ordered a full pitcher of house wine and we drank it all, just dh and I. so we got back home and I had a really hard time dealing with the jet-lag. I whined about that in my LiveJournal a lot. I didn't realize it, but apparently I also whined a lot about food. My LJ friends convinced me to test and ... ta-da! it was positive. I was in shock. I figured we conceived during our vacation and I was probably 6-7 weeks along. But let me tell you - when I saw the picture on the ultrasound screen I knew right away. I said "This is way father along then 6 weeks". It was 12w6d. I was beyond shocked. If I take the ultrasound date as the correct one, I did that initial pregnancy test when I was 5 weeks along and it was definitely negative at the time.

Now, onto present. I have recently stopped nursing my 3 year old, and we decided it's time for another little one. My cycles are still inconsistent, but for the last year and a half, I was getting terrible, terrible hunger about 2 weeks before AF. Hungry to the point of feeling lightheaded and I'd be hungry like that all the time. Well, last time I had this - beginning of July. Then I got my period. A much lighter version of the usual, no cramping at all and much less flow, but I thought it was a period. Since then I decided to watch closely for changes in CM. I've been dry-dry-dry all the time, but last week I got another period (with a cycle length of 31 days. quite short for what I've been getting, but I figured it's due to me stopping to nurse). So light in fact, that I was just calling it spotting. But the mysterious spotting lasted about 7 days and it's now gone. Weird, I think. I had no changes in my CM between these last two spotting bouts/periods (I don't know what to call them any more). Also, I never got that bout of hunger this last time. I am not noticing any other symptoms, though. I tested a couple of days ago and it was negative.

Am I crazy to think that I might be pregnant? My only clues are these last two weirdly light periods that I got. I can't say that I feel overly tired, hungry or nauseous. Am I insane? I think I'm gonna test again tomorrow morning to see if I get a BFP. I cant say I have high hopes, but these crazy periods are driving my psyche crazy.

#61 ·
sbilady: How strange, guess we really are ALL different!

mayflowers: Good Luck to you!

valeria_vi: It seems very possible, especially knowing you have a history to not get a bfp on a test. If you don't get a bfp I would probably try to get in for an u/s at 5-6 weeks, since that was how they discovered your first pregnancy. How far along do you *think* you might be?

This thread is getting really interesting!

Shonahsmom: How are you doing today?

#64 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by septemberbaby68 View Post
I see none of us have any answers yet. I still keep checking in. What is making this so hard is DH swears I am preggo, But i dont know. I guess I will know for sure tomorrow when the blood test results come in. They are not usually wrong are they? I have always showed up before on HPt, so I never had a blood test before. Patience wished for everyone.
So??? Inquiring minds want to know.

#65 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmoma View Post
valeria_vi: It seems very possible, especially knowing you have a history to not get a bfp on a test. If you don't get a bfp I would probably try to get in for an u/s at 5-6 weeks, since that was how they discovered your first pregnancy. How far along do you *think* you might be?
ah, thanks for reading my saga, cmoma. I got 2 BFNs this morning (used different brand). but it's just so weird how light, no cramps etc these last two periods had been. so if my suspicions is correct and I am pregnant, I'd think that I was pregnant at the time of the last, July, bleeding because it was already unusually light for me, but two weeks before it I had my usual symptoms of uncontrollable hunger etc (so I think - ovulation). based on that, I'd be 6-7 weeks along. I actually have an appointment with a family doc tomorrow. I was gonna check my thyroid but now I wonder if I should ask her for a blood test for HCG.

#66 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zenproofstella View Post
when is your dr.s appt????

girl . you gots to be pregs. would it help if I sing to you? here...

pregs pregs pregs pregs pregs

xoxo
s
ooh I'll sing...

pregs pregs pregs pregs! (I may be a little out of tune
)

valeria_vi: You might as well ask for one since you'll be there anyway..

Septemberbaby68: Any news today?

#67 ·
Quote:

when is your dr.s appt????

girl . you gots to be pregs. would it help if I sing to you? here...

pregs pregs pregs pregs pregs

xoxo
s
This made me giggle. Well today is officially the longest cycle I have ever experienced in my life, a day past my now second longest which only happened once in three years. I don't know if that made sense.

Anyway, I don't have an appointment. If it's still same shit/different day by Thursday afternoon, I'll call up the midwives and have them do a blood draw on Friday or Saturday.

DP and I have pinkie sworn that I will not test again until Thursday and that we will both try to shelve it until then. Try being the operative word.

#68 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sostinkinhappy View Post
For me, my flow is normally medium for 4-5 days, with occasional lighter days, but usually not much shorter than 4 days. When I thought I had a cycle & actually turned out to be pregnant, it was light for 3 days. I was in the middle of a huge opera production & the performance schedule was really tough. I thought the shorter, much lighter flow was strange but chalked it up to stress and finals at school.

So it is possible - statistically speaking it's not very likely, but it does happen to some people. I still can remember the absolute shock when the ultrasound showed the little bean as being 11 weeks along.
Thanks for sharing, sostinkinhappy!
I'm right there with you, septemberbaby68. I'm going onto my third day with light pink mucus. In all likelihood, it is just an abnormal start for AF. But I'm trying to hang on to hope here.

#69 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmoma View Post
valeria_vi: You might as well ask for one since you'll be there anyway..
I think I will. I am trying not to become obsessive, but this weirdness keeps my mind spinning.

Hang in there, Shonahsmom.

mayflowers: this is what I've been getting my last two periods. so light, I was calling it spotting. I just kept waiting for it to turn into the "real thing", but then the spotting would just go away. weird, huh? I hope you get some kind of a definite answer soon. whatever it is.

#70 ·
I have not been trying to conceive but came across this thread when I was browsing today. To cut a long story short, my period is 10 days late but I keep getting negative HPT's which is driving me crazy
: I have three kids and had positive tests with them all more or less straight away, I also have symptoms of early pregnancy like peeing a lot, slight nausea, cramps in my stomach and back and my nipples have got much darker. I took a test this morning which and again it was negative. I think I'm just going to ride it out for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Good luck to all you ladies TTC.

P.S Where is the best place to buy a test in the states as I will be in Florida on my hols until Sept 5th

#71 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by daisey View Post
I have not been trying to conceive but came across this thread when I was browsing today. To cut a long story short, my period is 10 days late but I keep getting negative HPT's which is driving me crazy
: I have three kids and had positive tests with them all more or less straight away, I also have symptoms of early pregnancy like peeing a lot, slight nausea, cramps in my stomach and back and my nipples have got much darker. I took a test this morning which and again it was negative. I think I'm just going to ride it out for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Good luck to all you ladies TTC.

P.S Where is the best place to buy a test in the states as I will be in Florida on my hols until Sept 5th
any drugstore (CVS, Eckerd, Walgreens)...or Target...or Walmart...really, you can get them anywhere. good luck!

#72 ·
completely unrealted (sorry), but I have to say this.

PEANUTBUTTERCUP.

Your username is KILLIN' ME. ESPECIALLY everyday I see one of your posts around..oh, 3pm.

For the love. I've just been told I may be hypoglycemic - can you see where the problem I'm having is?

I WANT TO EAT YOU. Is that terrible?

#73 ·
daisey, here in Florida we have lots of "Dollar Tree" (similar to pound shops) in the malls (shopping centers). You can get pregnancy tests there for a dollar (which, right now, is like only 50p for you!) that are very sensitive! That's where I've gotten mine.

Enjoy your holiday! And welcome to MDC!
:

#75 ·
Quote:

PEANUTBUTTERCUP.

Your username is KILLIN' ME. ESPECIALLY everyday I see one of your posts around..oh, 3pm.

For the love. I've just been told I may be hypoglycemic - can you see where the problem I'm having is?

:

Shonahsmom: this goes back to the original question, although it may be a moot point now. I never charted, but went by CM like you, and thought that my guesses were pretty reliable since I kept getting knocked up on schedule. But for my last PG the REs made me use ovulation predictor kits (because I had to start progesterone therapy a certain exact number of days after O-day). The day I *thought* I ovulated (what I would have counted as "O-day" normally) didn't register as positive on the tests; the tests didn't show until the NEXT day. Well, so the tests don't say that you ARE ovulating but that you WILL in the next 24-48 hours. So my CM was a good predictor of O, but I seem to actually ovulate about three days AFTER I thought I was based on CM. Now I know that instead of CM=O, it's more like CM=O-3.

By this point those few days don't make a difference, since if you were at 12 DPO when you posted the question it was still awhile ago, but just for whatever it's worth. Good luck!!!!

(P.S. there are always stories floating around this board about babies w/o + tests. It does happen.

#76 ·
Quote:

PEANUTBUTTERCUP.

haha!! I'm so sorry, I hope I'm not making you miserable! My maiden name is Reese, and my married name is Candee, making me Lauren Reese Candee. I can't help it, I really am a peanutbuttercup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.