progesterone to prevent miscarriage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-17-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone use progesterone cream (or other progesterone like suppositories, injections etc) to keep a healthy pregnancy?

I had my second miscarriage in a row last cycle, but this one was a "chemical pregnancy", a term I hadn't heard before meaning that you get a pregnancy test but then start your period within days of when it should have started. My first one back in April was a blighted ovum at 12 weeks.

So when this one m/c'd at 15 dpo, I went in for a beta test and both my HCG and progesterone showed "non-pregnant" levels. My progesterone was at a 1 and my ND said it should have been around a 7.

So, she sugguested that I use a progesterone cream from the day of my temp spike.

Anyone else use prog. to maintain a pregnancy?

Sadie
#2 of 5 Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM

I did. I have had 3 previous miscarriages and this time they did check my progesterone and it was low. I took progesterone through most of the 1st trimester and I am now 34 weeks.
#3 of 5 Old 08-17-2008, 06:48 PM

What type of progesterone did you use?? I was using the prometrium capsules.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#4 of 5 Old 08-20-2008, 10:24 PM
kbl

YES! I had one m/c and was never tested for low progesterone. At my second preg, my acupuncturist (NOT my OB) suggested I get tested right away, and my progesterone was low. At that point my OB put me on prog suppositories for 12 weeks (healthy baby boy!).

Now I am TTC again and lost a preg before I knew I was preg (looked like late period but tests showed I had been preg.) My current OB (different one!) recommends that I come in every month 1 week after ovulation and get an early, blood preg test so that if I am preg and the progesterone is low, he can start me on it right away. I cannot stress enough how important it is to test for low progesterone right away, even before your missed period. I think it saved my pregnancy last time.
#5 of 5 Old 08-21-2008, 10:33 AM

i use natural progesterone cream (crinone) the third day after my temp. spike..just in case...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page