Fall 2008 TTC #1 in our 20's - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 732 Old 09-28-2008, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
Btw- whats the best way to take it? The pill form or powder? I have strong gag reflex's and cant take big pills so would I be better off with a powder? Or does it have a bad taste? And how much should I take a day?
Also do I take it constantly or do I stop after I ovulate??
mrscompgeek, I took the liquid form in shots with water, I also made my husband take it. When I was part of the macca thread, I read that some women put either the liquid or powder form in their coffee. I think the best way to take is either by liquid or powder since it gets absorbed better and faster by your body. If you can't handle the pills I'd take either the powder or liquid form. I am like you I hate taking pills. I still have a hard time taking my prenatals. I also second what JSMa and everyone said about it. I swear that's what did it for me too, along with charting and some other stuff. I got mine from the health food store. I also read that you can take it during pregnancy because macca is a type of (root) food that in south america (I can't remember which country, where it's from) they eat it as part of their diet even after the women are pregnant. I remember seeing a picture of it once and I think it reminded me of beets. Anyway I hope this helps.

Feminine_Earth, I'm sorry. Don't worry about being embarrassed, we'll always be excited for you when you see the next faint line.
#362 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatemommytobe View Post
Feminine_Earth, I'm sorry. Don't worry about being embarrassed, we'll always be excited for you when you see the next faint line.
Thanks everyone, I'm feeling much better today. Onto October! :

How is everyone doing?

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#363 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Depressed here. . . . So many things to think about.
I already go to the Acupuncturist once a week for headaches so should I say something to her about irregular periods? Or should I just order some Maca and start taking it?
#364 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Liquid...2692838&sr=8-8

Somebody tell me if this is ok to get?? I would rather get it the liquid than the powder since I can mix it in smoothies or juice easier than the powder. . Plus I know things get into your body faster this way then pill form. . .
#365 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 10:19 AM

The fact that is says organic, I think means it is okay... but I didn't do the liquid, so am not sure what specifically to look for.

Mrscompgeek... have you ever talked to your OB or whoever you see for your annuals about the irregularity of your periods? I would likely mention it to them.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#366 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMa View Post
The fact that is says organic, I think means it is okay... but I didn't do the liquid, so am not sure what specifically to look for.

Mrscompgeek... have you ever talked to your OB or whoever you see for your annuals about the irregularity of your periods? I would likely mention it to them.
Thanks!
And yes I have talked to my GYN and of course her answer was birth control pills. . . I was on them for a little over a year then I went off of them in May because I hated the side affects they were giving me. Should I tell her I want more testing done? I never really pushed it much since I knew she knew I was very irregular. After going off the pill in May I didnt have another cycle. .So when I was at like 91 days since my last period I called my GYN and went in and she put me on Provera for a week and that is the only way I got this last cycle was from that. I am now on CD 41.
#367 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 01:51 PM

All birth contorl pills do is mask the real problem... periods that happen on birth control, are "fake" periods... the pill stops ovulation, but you still shed the lining every month.

I'd go back to her and tell her you are TTC, so you need to know what is causing your cycles to be so irregular. *nods*

Remember it is YOUR body and you have EVERY right to know what is going on... I wouldn't take some blase answer from her... if she gave me a BS answer or brushed me off, honestly I'd get a second opinion.

That is what happened to me when I was trying to find out what was going on with me December through April... the first OB I went to told me it was because I was overweight... yes I am, but not that much! I have friends who are rather larger than me and had no cycle or conceiving issues. So I went and got a second opinion.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#368 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMa View Post
All birth contorl pills do is mask the real problem... periods that happen on birth control, are "fake" periods... the pill stops ovulation, but you still shed the lining every month.

I'd go back to her and tell her you are TTC, so you need to know what is causing your cycles to be so irregular. *nods*

Remember it is YOUR body and you have EVERY right to know what is going on... I wouldn't take some blase answer from her... if she gave me a BS answer or brushed me off, honestly I'd get a second opinion.

That is what happened to me when I was trying to find out what was going on with me December through April... the first OB I went to told me it was because I was overweight... yes I am, but not that much! I have friends who are rather larger than me and had no cycle or conceiving issues. So I went and got a second opinion.
Oh I know! I hate BC pills. But that is what my dr's answer to my problem is.
#369 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

So Im so confused and depressed. . I need some of you smart mama's help. Should I wait this cycle out and keep temping and start the Maca when it arrives or should I go ahead and make a app at my GYN and see what she says?
#370 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 04:05 PM

I personally would do all the above... at least that is the direction I took. lol

I started temping once I found out about it. I started the Maca as soon as I found out about it...

All the while making appointments and pressing doctors to figure something out too.

Your health is important.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#371 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 04:33 PM

I might as well join you guys in this thread too!

Sarah here... 24, TTC #1 with my hubby David. We've been married just over 2 years now. After AF comes this cycle (our timing was all off due to husband's traveling), we'll be in our 5th month of TTC.

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)
#372 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 05:17 PM

Sorry I've been MIA, everyone... my husband had a cancer scare (we're still not sure he's in the clear, but things are looking better) and I have been stressed out as all hell. I think this cycle is shot - I didn't ovulate despite the crazy temps over the last few days. I need to get back to meditation, yoga and all around finding my zen so I can get back on track. Sorry to those who got AF!
#373 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post
Thanks everyone, I'm feeling much better today. Onto October! :

How is everyone doing?
Glad you're feeling better, sorry you had reason to feel bad in the first place.

Me, I'm doing great. I'm ready for it to be October over here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWolf View Post
I might as well join you guys in this thread too!

Sarah here... 24, TTC #1 with my hubby David. We've been married just over 2 years now. After AF comes this cycle (our timing was all off due to husband's traveling), we'll be in our 5th month of TTC.
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandFairytale View Post
Sorry I've been MIA, everyone... my husband had a cancer scare (we're still not sure he's in the clear, but things are looking better) and I have been stressed out as all hell. I think this cycle is shot - I didn't ovulate despite the crazy temps over the last few days. I need to get back to meditation, yoga and all around finding my zen so I can get back on track. Sorry to those who got AF!
Scary stuff! I'll be thinking of y'all. Hope you get an unequivocal all-clear soon!
#374 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 06:46 PM

mrscompgeek I agree with JSMa you should start doing it right away. And think of Maca as a food. Would eating one carrot stick a day help you? no, you'd need to eat LOTS of veggies for it to make a difference in your health. Same goes for Maca you are prolly gonna need a high dosage so start now...it can't hurt-and are you drinking Red Raspberry Leaf Tea? That REALLY kicked my uterus into gear! For reals!

Bluewolf - welcome and GOOD LUCK!

woodlandfairy!!! OMG I am sorry to hear that you guys even had to deal with that!!!! I am hoping he comes back with a clean bill of health...

always :
- baby boy arrived in Oct 2009!
#375 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 07:52 PM

Mrs Comp, we are in the same boat. My doctor thinks nothing of it. I am hesitant to try provera bc my doc is under the impression (bc it happened to my sister too) that the BCP that I was on for 9 years really messed up my system and adding another hormone will mess it up more. UGH. I am so ready to start TTC. Now I am trying to find peace with never having a baby, never getting my period, and being menopausal at the age of 25. Which my doctor of course laughs at. I am just trying to better myself. I was underweight (about 107 lbs) and I am 5'55''. So I am back at my HS weight of 135. Hopefully that works. I still run though, so maybe that is the problem.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#376 of 732 Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 PM

*hugs Alice tight* I am going to pray that your husband is in the clear and all is well. Do something fun this weekend.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#377 of 732 Old 09-30-2008, 01:31 AM

Alice- Same here. I'll be praying for your husband to be in the clear. *Hugs*

Mrscompgeek- I agree with everything that JSMa said. I too was charting taking maca and making appointments to my dr. That maca looks a lot like the one that I took. I think I told you I got mine at my health food store, and it was organic. The only difference was the brand. I'm pretty sure you'll be okay if you ordered that one, it says organic on it so that's good. If you go to the maca thread they'll have lots of yummy recipes that you can mix the maca with. I personally didn't think it was that bad. I've had worse though..lol
#378 of 732 Old 09-30-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykbird View Post
mrscompgeek I agree with JSMa you should start doing it right away. And think of Maca as a food. Would eating one carrot stick a day help you? no, you'd need to eat LOTS of veggies for it to make a difference in your health. Same goes for Maca you are prolly gonna need a high dosage so start now...it can't hurt-and are you drinking Red Raspberry Leaf Tea? That REALLY kicked my uterus into gear! For reals!
I am drinking RRL tea. . I have been drinking one cup a day since July. So far I havent noticed anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
Mrs Comp, we are in the same boat. My doctor thinks nothing of it. I am hesitant to try provera bc my doc is under the impression (bc it happened to my sister too) that the BCP that I was on for 9 years really messed up my system and adding another hormone will mess it up more. UGH. I am so ready to start TTC. Now I am trying to find peace with never having a baby, never getting my period, and being menopausal at the age of 25. Which my doctor of course laughs at. I am just trying to better myself. I was underweight (about 107 lbs) and I am 5'55''. So I am back at my HS weight of 135. Hopefully that works. I still run though, so maybe that is the problem.
Yeah my dr doesnt think much of it. . I am going to make a app next week and make her do testing and tell me what the H*LL is going on!!!

Quote:

Mrscompgeek- I agree with everything that JSMa said. I too was charting taking maca and making appointments to my dr. That maca looks a lot like the one that I took. I think I told you I got mine at my health food store, and it was organic. The only difference was the brand. I'm pretty sure you'll be okay if you ordered that one, it says organic on it so that's good. If you go to the maca thread they'll have lots of yummy recipes that you can mix the maca with. I personally didn't think it was that bad. I've had worse though..lol
Thanks! I did go ahead and order that one. Hopefully Ill get it soon!
#379 of 732 Old 10-01-2008, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good morning, Ladies!

I am drinking the most lovely chai tea I have ever tasted, and I have no idea what brand it is! I got it in a tea swap, and it is just so lovely! Yum!

I am also experiencing the shortest period I've ever had. And I had absolutely no menstrual pain on the first day (which is rare for me, as my doctor thinks I have endometriosis, and menstruation is usually extremely painful)! I am a happy camper! :

AND it's the first day of OCTOBER, and I just absolutely LOVELOVELOVE October!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :

How are you all doing today?

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#380 of 732 Old 10-01-2008, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Im still here. . . I caught the flu and have been running a fever the last few days so I havent been temping on my chart. I need to call and make a dr app at my GYN but I am doing weekly acupuncture apps and weekly therapy for my shoulder apps and I dont want to add another appointment in there yet!!
#381 of 732 Old 10-01-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post
AND it's the first day of OCTOBER, and I just absolutely LOVELOVELOVE October!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :
OCTOBER OCTOBER OCTOBER!! Unless the universe decides to be REALLY cruel, I shall have my baby this month! I'm gunning for sooner rather than later.

mrscompgeek, hope you feel better soon! Being sick is no fun.
#382 of 732 Old 10-01-2008, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I called my GYN just a bit ago and told them whats going on. I talked to the nurse and she was like, well its normal to only get a period every 3 months, its only been 1-1/2 months since your last one so dont worry about it til november. I was like, Um were trying to get pregnant and she goes, Oh well then thats a different story. . . .: Not sure what the difference is, if I call in wanting to get my period more regular shouldnt they take care of me?
Anyways- she is talking to the doc now and supposed to call me back. . . .: Fingers Crossed
#383 of 732 Old 10-01-2008, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Back again- My GYN's nurse just called back and she said that I have 2 choices, I can either just wait and let it go and just have periods whenever they come or I can go on Fertility drugs because they dont think I am ovulating. No other choices. . . . So I went ahead and scheduled a app Oct 30th to talk to the doc and see but I am wondering if I should get another opinion from another doc?
#384 of 732 Old 10-01-2008, 05:07 PM

mrscompgeek...have you ever thought about a holistic doctor or talking to a midwife? I would go the natural route before taking more drugs. fertility drugs are one thing but waiting till october 30 is rubbish! what are you supposed to do till then sit around twiddling your thumbs. no. I wanna see you back on schedule.
enough foolin around with these doctors...just take matters into your own hands and see what a mw says or a natural doc...

yes?

always :
#385 of 732 Old 10-01-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

I emailed the midwife we are going to use once I get pregnant to see what she says and I have ordered Maca and will start it as soon as it gets here : (hasnt even shipped yet). . .I tried calling another dr's office an hour from here and they cant get me in until december!!! Im getting very annoyed and impatient.
#386 of 732 Old 10-01-2008, 05:19 PM

i don't blame you!

but everything IS gonna work out.

always :
#387 of 732 Old 10-01-2008, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I know! Im just worried about the drugs and all that. I wish my dr would do more testing but she thinks this is the best. . . Darn her!
#388 of 732 Old 10-02-2008, 02:18 AM

mrscompgeek- I agree with sunnykbird, I'd go the natural route, and maybe even get a second opinion just because I know there are plenty of options out there and your doc seems to not want to give you much of them. I also don't think it's normal to get a period every three months and they should take care of you regardless of whether you want to get your period on track or get pregnant.
Anyway I hope you feel better soon from the flu. Here's a recipe that helped me everytime I got sick. You mix honey lemon and chopped garlic in hot water and drink it. It sounds disgusting and it is, but it works. We had to drink that whenever we got sick as kids.

feminine_earth- That's great that you're having better periods. I loooveee October too.

lee- I can't believe that it's this month already that you have your baby! Are you doing anything natural like lamaze or hypnobabies? I hope you have an easy and comfortable labor.
#389 of 732 Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
mrscompgeek- I agree with sunnykbird, I'd go the natural route, and maybe even get a second opinion just because I know there are plenty of options out there and your doc seems to not want to give you much of them. I also don't think it's normal to get a period every three months and they should take care of you regardless of whether you want to get your period on track or get pregnant.
Anyway I hope you feel better soon from the flu. Here's a recipe that helped me everytime I got sick. You mix honey lemon and chopped garlic in hot water and drink it. It sounds disgusting and it is, but it works. We had to drink that whenever we got sick as kids.
Yeah we are going to start (both of us if Dh will do it) taking Maca when I get it in the mail and see if I can see a difference. Im going to keep my app Oct 30th in case the maca doesnt help. Cross you fingers ladies that it works!! I am kinda annoyed that my dr thinks that a period every 3 months is normal. Hey- its my body if I call in wanting to see why my periods are irregular then shouldnt they check it out? Arent I the patient paying for this?
:
#390 of 732 Old 10-02-2008, 11:12 AM

Mrscompgeek... excuse me, but that is utter BS that your doc is feeding you! It seems she has done nothing to evalute you, no tests and immediately wants to put you on fertility drugs??? That is waving all kinds of red flags for me and I'd personally be seeking another doctor ASAP. They don't seem too concerned with you personally...

Lee... OMG! It's your month!! : : : Are you ready?

Student, Aspiring CNM 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page