Delayed ovulation=poor egg quality?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around here for a while and it's my first official post. It's our first month ttc and I've used my fertility monitor for a few months now. I've always had a relatively regular 29 days cycles. I always used to ovulate on the day 13 of my cycle.. But this cycle that we were supposed to start ttc, I have not ovulated yet. Today I'm on day 14 of my cycle and neither monitor nor the new tests that I have purchased, haven't detected the LH yet, that means no ovulation for the next 2 days for me yet!! (until day 16)...

I've heard that delayed ovulation indicates poor egg quality. I was wondering if we should stop BDing because of the possibility of poor egg quality, or just continue?!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate any input.
#2 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 03:57 AM

Wow, I would be very interested in hearing what everyone thinks about this too. I was ovulating at day 16 and 17 this month. Now I am a little scared... I am also 36 and half.... hmmmm...

Kristin, Lactivist and co-sleeping SAHM. My daughter is 6 yrs old, and my son is 22 mos old. Would love baby #3 shy.gif

selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif lactivist.gif dust.gif

#3 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin1924 View Post
Wow, I would be very interested in hearing what everyone thinks about this too. I was ovulating at day 16 and 17 this month. Now I am a little scared... I am also 36 and half.... hmmmm...
Hey now, I am 39 turning 40 sept 2. I have a five month old dd. delayed ovulation can be from stress, dietary changes, and so forth. We are ttc for another and I take prenatals make sure plenty of folic acid, which helps to prevent birth defects, especially for older women, in which the possiblity is higher, my opinion is to keep it up, most pregnancies that there is a problem end themselves even before af is due. So take your vitamins and make that baby
#4 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septemberbaby68 View Post
Hey now, I am 39 turning 40 sept 2. I have a five month old dd. delayed ovulation can be from stress, dietary changes, and so forth. We are ttc for another and I take prenatals make sure plenty of folic acid, which helps to prevent birth defects, especially for older women, in which the possiblity is higher, my opinion is to keep it up, most pregnancies that there is a problem end themselves even before af is due. So take your vitamins and make that baby

Septemberbaby68, please know that in no way was I meaning to insult anyone over my age It just came out wrong... my worry... and it also came from me reading all these reports on "after age 35...." blah blah blah... so I was just in a funk saying that. ANyway, I do wonder if stress is part of it with me. Earlier this year our precious daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, so it's been really stressful lately with learning everything. So that could be a factor.

How long have you been trying for this time? What day are you on?

Kristin, Lactivist and co-sleeping SAHM. My daughter is 6 yrs old, and my son is 22 mos old. Would love baby #3 shy.gif

selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif lactivist.gif dust.gif

#5 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 01:02 PM

Just wanted to chime in here about late ovulation. I too have read that delayed ovulation can mean poor egg quality. My dd was conceived on day 32 of my cycle (I was temp'ing) and my ds was conceived on day 25 (we had "taken a break" from ttc but I was using ff to keep track of bd'ing).

Taryn
#6 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 01:18 PM

I had heard that too about late ovulation causing poor egg quality. However, this past cycle I ovulated on day 22, and here I am 8 weeks pregnant and so far everything looks great! So I would definitely keep up the BDing and not worry about what web sites say. I've known other women here on MDC with delayed ovulation that also have gone on to have happy and healthy pregnancies much much later than day 16. If you use FF and have the premium service, just do a quick search of pregnancies with delayed or late ovulation if you want to give yourself even more peace of mind. There's plenty out there, and really day 16 isn't even late in many womens' cycles.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#7 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 01:28 PM

I have a 28-day cycle and always ovulate on day 16 or 17. I think it might indicate a short luteal phase depending on how long your cycles are. I have been taking B-6 to see if that helps.
#8 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies and putting mu mind in ease. I (we) will continue BDing, but I have a feeling that I might not even ovulate this cycle at all. Still no sign of LH.. I think I should just relax and take it easy. Thanks.
#9 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 PM

This question got me wondering if my egg quality is poor. I have been ovulating somewhat late, day 16. This becomes a 32 day cycle with a lp of 16 days. Any pros out there? Is this a concern for me since I am 38 years old. Average cycle 28-32, most cycles hovering around 31 days.

At one time I read that if you ovulated early, your egg did not have enough time to be nourished. So I gather that early and late ovulation is not ideal. I am wondering when is the perfect day to o. I have been over analyzing everything. We should have a list of gals who got pregnant with delayed and early ovulation. So all of us can feel rest assured that the time when the egg decides to pop out that its not to late or early for conception.

Me 39 Dh 44 IVF #1 Failed--only 3 eggs retrieved out of 9 follicles. ET:1-4cell severe fragmentation. Planning for next cycle. VERY DEVASTATED
#10 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 PM

Hmm, I always ovulate late. I like to look at it like this: I have more time to build up a nice cushy landing zone for future bebe. I'm in my 30's as well, but as for poor egg quality, I've always had long cycles so I can't believe that I had poor egg quality even as a teen. Hmmm....

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#11 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hey all,
I'm sorry, looks like my post has got some of you worried. What I am trying to understand is that if my body is doing something out of its norm, there's probably something not right with it. I usually have a long LF (17 days LF, ovulating on day 11-12 of my cycle), so still not ovulating or even raised LH levels on day 16 of my cycle is not normal. That's what made me think if something is going on with my body and therefore with my egg...:

But I personally think if your body always does what it does normally, there can't be anything wrong with it. Like if you always have a long cycle, that's how your body is and it's perfectly fine. Like very early ovulation in my case.

On a side note, I wanted to say that I used to be extremely worried about the details and drive myself crazy during my first pregnancy and I hope I don't do that this time. I'm sure worrying about these can have more harm that the issue itself.

Be well...
#12 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your eggs do not go bad because O is delayed. If you have a longer cycle like me (see my chart), it just means that the hormones did not start the process of developing an egg until later. I conceived DS on CD 41 see link below for my pregnancy chart (second chart down).

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16043d

Trust me....perfectly healthy babies can be born from a late O. Be thankful your cycles are textbook. It's very lengthy to TTC when you have 50-60 day cycles.
#13 of 17 Old 08-29-2008, 11:26 PM

i O'd on CD 48 the month i conceived my nearly 16 month old DD. she is perfectly healthy & certainly doesn't seem like the product of a "bad" egg...

although she is a little bit weird and tries to brush her hair with the vacuum cleaner attachment

seriously, i heard the same rumor (about later O'ing meaning a weak egg) right after i found out i was pg, and i was all freaked out i'd miscarry because of it. but everything was perfectly fine. relax!

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#14 of 17 Old 08-30-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobedone View Post

although she is a little bit weird and tries to brush her hair with the vacuum cleaner attachment

ooh I want a kid like that. Does she also walk around with one shoe untied, her overall strap hanging down and sticky jam hands? : hmmm I think this delayed ovulation is just the thing :
#15 of 17 Old 08-30-2008, 11:21 PM

our DD was conceived on CD 27 and she is a very smart and wonderful 18 month old- knows almost all her letters, colors, shapes, is fully potty learned, and is just a complete joy. I think some people just ovulate later... takes their bodies longer...
#16 of 17 Old 08-30-2008, 11:50 PM

I conceived DD first try, easy pregnancy, healthy kid... on CD45.

I conceived DS second try, easy pregnancy, healthy kid... on CD28.

I've now had 2 early miscarriage since then when I have ovulated much, much earlier.

FWIW, I don't think CD 17 or so is anywhere near "late."
#17 of 17 Old 10-13-2008, 12:58 AM

I always wondered if you ovulate "late" if the lining of the uterus would not be as good for the fertilized egg because it's old?

jog.gifkid.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page