Forum Jump: 

#61 of 406 Old 09-06-2008, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATruck View Post
Hello all-

. I am not temping but doing saliva test to see when I am fertile. We started trying 2 cycles ago. I feel a bit lost, since with DD I got pregnant on the first try.

!!!
Saliva test whats that????

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#62 of 406 Old 09-06-2008, 11:15 PM

I've never done it but if you look at dried saliva or cervical fluid under magnification, it will be pretty little fern-y crystals near ovulation and just random gunk when not fertile.

I'm 7dpo today and had my blood drawn for progesterone today (hard to get done on a Saturday!). No real symptoms to put any stock in but I'll be testing on Tuesday!

Jessica
#63 of 406 Old 09-06-2008, 11:36 PM

Hi nursing mamas! I have a question!
I know I should be charting - but with a co-sleeping toddler I am having a hard time with it.

OK - here is my q. Does a nursing toddler's varied interest in nursing effect your fertility? J is nursing a lot lately, especially at night. A week ago he nursed at nap and night and then was fine but this last week he is up nusing a couple times at night and he's all over me if he sees me sit down. I know I read that you LP can be effected by nursing, but can that change month to month? My cycles have been random lengths 26 days one month, 31 the next and I'm just curious if J's changing need it to blame?

TIA!

Dena

<3 Dena

Wife to M 4.04 and Mama to hopmad.gifJ the activist 5.06, superhero.gifSammy Tsunami 12.09, and stork-girl.gif  coming soon!

#64 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 05:34 AM

Move me to BFP+ Please!!! Now, shhhh. We do not tell until later so you are very special.

~Lisa Marie~ Married 08/03, Mama to 2 Fall Princes '04 :, '06 CBAC & :
Late May '09 Princess VBA2C success :
#65 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 AM

dk- yes, I do believe that the varied nursing can impact fertility. When he nurses more you produce more prolactin which will effect your other hormonal levels.

SunCB-- CONGRATULATIONS!!!! ::::::::
See you in the May DDC!!

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#66 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 AM

Congrats to all the BFPs!!! What a great month so far :-)

Well, I guess you can add me to the success list , too! yay!! I tested yesterday (9 dpo) and got a BPF with the dollar store test and a FRER. Please send sticky vibes this way!!! I will probably still hang out and 'lurk' until I am convinced this is real. I am still in shock.

Good luck to everyone!
#67 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DklovesMkandJK View Post
Hi nursing mamas! I have a question!
I know I should be charting - but with a co-sleeping toddler I am having a hard time with it.

OK - here is my q. Does a nursing toddler's varied interest in nursing effect your fertility? J is nursing a lot lately, especially at night. A week ago he nursed at nap and night and then was fine but this last week he is up nusing a couple times at night and he's all over me if he sees me sit down. I know I read that you LP can be effected by nursing, but can that change month to month? My cycles have been random lengths 26 days one month, 31 the next and I'm just curious if J's changing need it to blame?

TIA!

Dena
Yes as abigal b mentioned it effects your prolactin level so it can effect ovulation. Also age can do that too unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCB View Post
Move me to BFP+ Please!!! Now, shhhh. We do not tell until later so you are very special.

::::Congratulations :::::

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstar View Post
Congrats to all the BFPs!!! What a great month so far :-)

Well, I guess you can add me to the success list , too! yay!! I tested yesterday (9 dpo) and got a BPF with the dollar store test and a FRER. Please send sticky vibes this way!!! I will probably still hang out and 'lurk' until I am convinced this is real. I am still in shock.

Good luck to everyone!

::: Congratulations :::

This is starting off as a very positive month so far.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#68 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 11:31 AM

Thank you! Congratulations for the Other BFPs too!!

~Lisa Marie~ Married 08/03, Mama to 2 Fall Princes '04 :, '06 CBAC & :
Late May '09 Princess VBA2C success :
#69 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 PM

WOW--congratulations to all the BFP's!

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#70 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 01:04 PM

SunCB~ CONGRATS!!!!

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#71 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomommy1122 View Post
Saliva test whats that????
I've used one. It was great when my cycles were regular and basically confirmed it was O time. But now, I get ferning a lot and then no ovulation. That's normal, but it just means the saliva test, for me, is maybe too sensitive. OPK's, on the other hand, seem to give me fewer false positives. Neither can confirm or definitely predict ovulation, but they're handy and give me something to do I got mine at a regular drugstore on clearance.

Another question about being pg while nursing: So from the previous response, it seems that nursing can alter your luteal phase, so even if you ovulate and fertilization occurs, there isn't enough time for the egg to really implant if your luteal phase is really short.
Now, if the egg does implant and you get a + HPT at 14dpo, does nursing have any negative effect at that point, even if baby increases nursing frequency off and on?
I've been pg twice while nursing, one I weaned at about 8 weeks pg (and pregnancy and baby were both healthy) and the other I continued to nurse but we lost the baby at a little over 17 weeks. The loss was not due to nursing or hormones. But I obviously want to give myself the best chance of carrying a healthy baby. What have you found? I'm assuming the answer is that nursing adds no risk once you've gotten a +hpt??

Thanks,
Deb

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#72 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 02:48 PM

woodstar and suncb CONGRATS!!!!!

Deb- im also curious to know that answer.. if you dont mind me asking, what was the reason for miscarriage at 17 weeks?
#73 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 04:50 PM

Interesting-- so you can have ferning each month with the saliva test and still not ovulate? Did you often find that to be the case, Deb?

I guess I should get some OPKs. Anyone have recommendations?

For anyone who is interested, this is the ovulation microscope I am using. $25 and free shipping. We have been TTC for 2 cycles, and I got 2 days of ferning each time.
http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com...tion-test.html

I don't know about nursing being linked to miscarriage. I know that a friend of mine's mw encouraged her to wean when she got pg because the friend had a history of miscarriages. I did find her mw to be a bit conservative/mainstream in general, though.

Congrats to SunCB! and woodstar!

Liz-- that is very sweet to offer your vitex. I just bought some, though. And you might need it to regulate your cycle, too, at some point (though I hope not, I hope you get pg asap!) ... maybe down the line, if you really don't want it, I will take it - we will see.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#74 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 05:23 PM

Hi mamas, I've been lurking while waiting for my first pp O and it finally showed up today!

I gave up on temping because with all the night nursing my temp was all over the place. I stick with observing CM and using ovulation strips. Last night I finally got a somewhat dark second line and today the second line is as dark as the first. We dtd yesterday and didn't insem but weren't exactly super careful either. I'm feeling like I want to wait at least one cycle before really trying. Did anyone else get a little nervous about actually TTC when the time actually came? I'm feeling anxious and giddy about it!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#75 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 06:33 PM

I have another question--I'm full of them today!
For those nursing mamas who are temping, do you adjust your temp to account for taking it at different times? Like, I normally take mine at 6:00 but today "woke up" at 6:30 so deducted 0.1 degree F for the time difference. I've been doing that, but I really don't sleep very well at all because of dd's nursing. So maybe doing those adjustments isn't necessary since they're probably not that exact anyway? WDYD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie143 View Post
woodstar and suncb CONGRATS!!!!!

Deb- im also curious to know that answer.. if you dont mind me asking, what was the reason for miscarriage at 17 weeks?
I don't mind--the midwife said it looked like a cord accident when I delivered him and other testing didn't show any other likely possibilities.

Quote:
Interesting-- so you can have ferning each month with the saliva test and still not ovulate? Did you often find that to be the case, Deb?
I don't know about nursing being linked to miscarriage. I know that a friend of mine's mw encouraged her to wean when she got pg because the friend had a history of miscarriages. I did find her mw to be a bit conservative/mainstream in general, though.
Well, I've only had one pp af so far, but during the looonnngggg time I spent temping and checking saliva during that wait, I got ferning pretty often. When my body would gear up to o I'd get ferning, but then I wouldn't o. I did opks also, and only got a single + opk during the same time.

ATruck: did your friend wean on the mw's advice? In my experience, nursing during pgcy took a lot out of me--I was sicker and more tired and more...everything. But I do want to continue nursing dd as long as she wants yet we really want to have another baby before too long.
I'd like to read the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing."

Any other experience/knowledge about safety of nursing during pgcy?
Thanks!
Deb

#76 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 08:20 PM

kittyhead, I keep my thermometer in the pillowcase. I have a beside table, but can't reach it because I am in the middle of the king bed with DH on one side, and DS on the other. Plus, I try and keep it out of DS's hands as he has the tendency to be rough with it.

Nursing is not considered to put a pregnancy at risk. However, if you have a history of miscarriages, it falls into an unknown category, so sometimes women are encouraged to wean.

Wife to Bear - Mom to DS 7, gifted with SPD and DD 2, a Joybunny!
#77 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 PM

SunCB and woodstar... ::: I can't help but be a little jealous, but I hope to join your ranks in a few weeks. Congrats and H&H 9 months, mamas!!

Jilian, congrats on your first pp O! How exciting. I did find it myself a bit anxious when it came time for us to TTC this time around too. Although I waited impatiently for my first ppAF for some time (I've had one, dd will be 2 in a couple of weeks), when it was finally hear I got cold feet a bit! Good luck in your TTC journey!

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#78 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 PM

I'm back to waiting to O.

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
#79 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 09:31 PM

Did anyone else have a painful first pp O? I was not really aware of when I first O'd with DS1 but this time around I know and it HURTS! Its the same kind of uterine pain I had when I got preg with DS2 so I wonder if maybe we did catch the first pp egg? It seems really soon to be hurting though. We just dtd yesterday.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#80 of 406 Old 09-07-2008, 10:59 PM

CONGRATS!!!!!! to all the BFPS :::

ATruck -- you are right, it might be good to start taking again the beginning of next cycle I don't know why I had so much trouble remembering to take it -- I almost never forget my vitamins, but I would only take that like once a week.

Dena -- I'm sure that my fertility is linked to night nursing. Apparently, your body releases more prolactin (which inhibits fertility) more at night when nursing than during the day.

I'm almost sure I'm Oing -- tons of EWCM. I don't track temps, so I won't have that to confirm.

Also, I suck at waiting. I like wanna test now and I don't even know for sure that I've ovulated.

Mommy to two super cute kids.
#81 of 406 Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonuptosondown View Post

Well, I've only had one pp af so far, but during the looonnngggg time I spent temping and checking saliva during that wait, I got ferning pretty often. When my body would gear up to o I'd get ferning, but then I wouldn't o. I did opks also, and only got a single + opk during the same time.

ATruck: did your friend wean on the mw's advice? In my experience, nursing during pgcy took a lot out of me--I was sicker and more tired and more...everything. But I do want to continue nursing dd as long as she wants yet we really want to have another baby before too long.
I'd like to read the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing."

Any other experience/knowledge about safety of nursing during pgcy?
Thanks!
Deb
okay, that is making me want to start using OPKs even more. I'm on CD5, so I should be able to get some for this cycle.

My friend did wean, but I don't think she was heartbroken about it. You should read Adventures in Tandem Nursing. I have read most of it, and found it helpful. I am pretty nervous about the prospect (considering I wanted to die tonight when DD nursed for a full hour to go to sleep- I am sure it will be even more stressful when pg). Of course, she will be at least 2.5 before I have a baby, so she will be ready for some rules, if we even make it still nursing through the pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Hi mamas, I've been lurking while waiting for my first pp O and it finally showed up today!

I gave up on temping because with all the night nursing my temp was all over the place. I stick with observing CM and using ovulation strips. Last night I finally got a somewhat dark second line and today the second line is as dark as the first. We dtd yesterday and didn't insem but weren't exactly super careful either. I'm feeling like I want to wait at least one cycle before really trying. Did anyone else get a little nervous about actually TTC when the time actually came? I'm feeling anxious and giddy about it!
Congrats on getting your cycle back. I was nervous and unsure when we first decided to start TTC. We had actually put it off by a few months and I was relieved. I think I am ready now, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebits View Post
CONGRATS!!!!!! to all the BFPS :::

ATruck -- you are right, it might be good to start taking again the beginning of next cycle I don't know why I had so much trouble remembering to take it -- I almost never forget my vitamins, but I would only take that like once a week.

Dena -- I'm sure that my fertility is linked to night nursing. Apparently, your body releases more prolactin (which inhibits fertility) more at night when nursing than during the day.

I'm almost sure I'm Oing -- tons of EWCM. I don't track temps, so I won't have that to confirm.

Also, I suck at waiting. I like wanna test now and I don't even know for sure that I've ovulated.
Hope you are Oing. Yay! And put the vitex with your vitamins that you don't forget to take.

Night, ladies.

#82 of 406 Old 09-08-2008, 03:40 PM

9 dpo here. Caved and took hpt this a.m.. It was neg. of course. I have been having those all too familiar pre-af cramps since yesterday, so I figured I might as well get it over with.

Quick poll: I have an appt. tomorrow with my OB for my annual exam. I am planning on speaking with him about my concerns about 12+ months of TTC #2. (This does not include waiting for the 1st pp egg) Should I tell him I'm still nursing my almost 3 year old? I am back and forth about this. I have been having fairly regular cycles since my 1st PPAF at 23 months. My charting shows a clear thermal shift each cycle and my LP has been decent. I'm just scared that he won't want to even run some bloodwork until he is fully weaned, and who knows when that would be. WWYD?

Thanks!

Laura

One sleepy mama to ds #1 (5) and ds #2...my VBAC baby (2) and expecting #3 sometime in 2/2012!!

#83 of 406 Old 09-08-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonuptosondown View Post
I've used one. It was great when my cycles were regular and basically confirmed it was O time. But now, I get ferning a lot and then no ovulation. That's normal, but it just means the saliva test, for me, is maybe too sensitive. OPK's, on the other hand, seem to give me fewer false positives. Neither can confirm or definitely predict ovulation, but they're handy and give me something to do I got mine at a regular drugstore on clearance.

Another question about being pg while nursing: So from the previous response, it seems that nursing can alter your luteal phase, so even if you ovulate and fertilization occurs, there isn't enough time for the egg to really implant if your luteal phase is really short.
Now, if the egg does implant and you get a + HPT at 14dpo, does nursing have any negative effect at that point, even if baby increases nursing frequency off and on?
I've been pg twice while nursing, one I weaned at about 8 weeks pg (and pregnancy and baby were both healthy) and the other I continued to nurse but we lost the baby at a little over 17 weeks. The loss was not due to nursing or hormones. But I obviously want to give myself the best chance of carrying a healthy baby. What have you found? I'm assuming the answer is that nursing adds no risk once you've gotten a +hpt??

Thanks,
Deb

Check kellymom there is lots of info. on nursing and pregnancy. For most people there is no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan'smom View Post
9 dpo here. Caved and took hpt this a.m.. It was neg. of course. I have been having those all too familiar pre-af cramps since yesterday, so I figured I might as well get it over with.

Quick poll: I have an appt. tomorrow with my OB for my annual exam. I am planning on speaking with him about my concerns about 12+ months of TTC #2. (This does not include waiting for the 1st pp egg) Should I tell him I'm still nursing my almost 3 year old? I am back and forth about this. I have been having fairly regular cycles since my 1st PPAF at 23 months. My charting shows a clear thermal shift each cycle and my LP has been decent. I'm just scared that he won't want to even run some bloodwork until he is fully weaned, and who knows when that would be. WWYD?

Thanks!

Laura
What a good question. I think it's always important to tell the doctor the truth. But from my expereince the doctor may assume that the nursing is the issue. Mine did run blood tests, I think to prove to me that my prolactin level was too high. (It wasn't)

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#84 of 406 Old 09-08-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan'smom View Post

Thanks!

Laura
You could always downplay it a bit, saying he is an occasional nurser. I think that I would want to give all of the facts to be better able to get at the truth. If you want bloodwork done, insist on it. If the dr refuses, find another dr!

#85 of 406 Old 09-08-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
You could always downplay it a bit, saying he is an occasional nurser. I think that I would want to give all of the facts to be better able to get at the truth. If you want bloodwork done, insist on it. If the dr refuses, find another dr!
I agree it's best to tell the truth. If the dr. can't handle the truth, find another dr. or just tell him what tests you'd like. I've downplayed and I've told the truth--truth was better. Just not as warm and fuzzy as I would have liked the dr. to be
I have my annual ob/gyn visit this week, so I'm considering what reaction I'm going to get, also.

#86 of 406 Old 09-08-2008, 07:48 PM

Hello everyone,
I'm still here waiting to catch the first egg. DD only turns 9months soon so I am probably going to be waiting for the first egg for a while, but it's nice to have company I have noticed some small changes in CM or maybe I am just more observant after reading TCOYF

Hope we have lots of success stories this month - good luck all!

#87 of 406 Old 09-08-2008, 09:13 PM

I agree with the PPs about the nursing thing. Understated honesty is probably the best answer. If he gives you grief about nursing just be sure to point out how regular your cycles are and that you don't think nursing is the problem. Besides, if they do bloodwork and see an elevated prolactin level, then it'll come up later anyway.

I'm 9dpo today and just feel *off*. Hot then cold, crampy, backachey. Almost like I'm coming down with something. Since it could be PMS or pg, though, I'm just in denial. I POAS today in the afternoon when the cramps started but it was a total BFN. I'm going to POAS with FMU tomorrow and I'll report back for sure.
#88 of 406 Old 09-08-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCB View Post
Congrats!

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#89 of 406 Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by because View Post
I'm 9dpo today and just feel *off*. Hot then cold, crampy, backachey. Almost like I'm coming down with something. Since it could be PMS or pg, though, I'm just in denial. I POAS today in the afternoon when the cramps started but it was a total BFN. I'm going to POAS with FMU tomorrow and I'll report back for sure.
Good luck with the stick in the AM.

#90 of 406 Old 09-09-2008, 01:21 AM

Congrats to the new BFPs! I'm out of town right now and I think I ovulated yesterday (I had a temp rise today.) We'll see. AWFUL timing. We only BD'd like 3 days ago, once. And my cycle are so long that it'll be another month and a half til we get another shot. Why can't my ovaries just ovulate on day 14 or 16 like normal folks!

And we could not have made love last night or the night before because last night we were sharing a room with our light-sleeping toddler and a house with my sis, her hubby, a newborn, and their toddler. And the night before we were in a hotel room and we didn't get to the hotel until 1AM! Such poor timig.I'm pretty dissapointed. (2xposted)

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page