Questions about egg/sperm life and travel time - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-02-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

I have been a member here, but haven't really posted here for a while because we weren't sure that we were going to TTC. I think we are getting closer to it being a yes, and now I have a few questions that maybe you have researched already.

How long after ovulation is an egg viable to be fertilized? I have ready anything from 6 hours to 48 hours. What is the norm? Does anyone know anyone that has gotten pregnant from BD shortly AFTER ovulation

How long on average does it take "healthy" sperm to reach the fallopian tubes after DTD?

We have always used WD and this time we didn't pullout... I was about 24-48 hours after I think I O'd. I am thinking the likelihood of conception would be pretty slim, but thought I could get your opinions. My DH was shocked when I told him we were probably actually safe (he didn't think it would be as he's not really into how cycles work).

The good news in this though is that after 2 1/2 years of many many conversations about TTC, I think he might actually be getting on board!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
#2 of 9 Old 09-02-2008, 06:27 PM

Egg life can vary between the hours you stated though from what I've read it averages 12-16 hours.

Sperm take a matter of seconds to a few minutes to get beyond your cervix and it can be anywhere from a minute to ten minutes to make it into the tubes.

The thing is, sperm is not mature enough to try and fertilize an egg upon initial entrance into the woman's body. Instead, sperm has to make it's way into the tubes, bathe itself in the sugary substance the woman's body secretes and then it takes approximately 8 hours to mature (called sperm capacitation). Only then is it able to try and fertilize an egg.

If you are sure of ovulation and your CM was going dry (or sticky even), I'd say your chances are about 2% or so. If you had even creamy CM at your cervix, then I'd say your chances are a bit higher. But figure even if you hadn't ovulated, had wonderful EWCM, etc. any couples chance in a cycle is 25%!
#3 of 9 Old 09-02-2008, 06:45 PM

I was thinking the same question also. Ubermama thanks for the information. I didn't realize that it takes up to 8 hrs for sperm to mature. So I gather that even if you dtd on the same day you ovulate you might be risking it since the sperm need time to "develop". Maybe there is a reason why they say to bd a day or two before ovulation.

Me 39 Dh 44 IVF #1 Failed--only 3 eggs retrieved out of 9 follicles. ET:1-4cell severe fragmentation. Planning for next cycle. VERY DEVASTATED
#4 of 9 Old 09-02-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtg4miracle View Post
I was thinking the same question also. Ubermama thanks for the information. I didn't realize that it takes up to 8 hrs for sperm to mature. So I gather that even if you dtd on the same day you ovulate you might be risking it since the sperm need time to "develop". Maybe there is a reason why they say to bd a day or two before ovulation.
Exactly. This is why the day before ovulation has a higher chance in conception than the day of ovulation!

See this: http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...z001_10744.gif
#5 of 9 Old 09-02-2008, 07:04 PM

yeah! i was wondering that, too.

p.s. i find it endearing how clueless DH is on the fertility front. he told me that he thought whenever you "shot your load inside" the girl would get *probably* pregnant. when i told him he was incorrect, he said, "well, that's what they told us in high school."

Christie, mama to Maggie Lee 2/25/10
#6 of 9 Old 09-02-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_flowers View Post
. he told me that he thought whenever you "shot your load inside" the girl would get *probably* pregnant. when i told him he was incorrect, he said, "well, that's what they told us in high school."
I feel for your DH! After being told for all these years that even if you think about a penis without BC you WILL get PG, I find it even harder to be at this TTCing for 12 months. :

oh, and I so want to be a home ec teacher. There are a lot of things that "kids these days" aren't learning.

OP: Check this out, it's been floating around the board and I LOVE it Stevi the PG story of the month mentioned it (I think)

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#7 of 9 Old 09-02-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
OP: Check this out, it's been floating around the board and I LOVE it Stevi the PG story of the month mentioned it (I think)
COOL! i hope i have a little blastocyst of my own right now!

Christie, mama to Maggie Lee 2/25/10
#8 of 9 Old 09-02-2008, 10:07 PM

Wow! This is an awesome site. I just sent it to my good friend who is 8 weeks preggo now. I'm gonna show it to DH also.

cd.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif
Our dream come true, Chloe Aleksandra arrived on 9-10-10.
#9 of 9 Old 09-03-2008, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

I came back here expecting that there wouldn't be many posts... low and behold 6 posts. Thanks!

Umbermom~ Great response! Thanks so much for this information! I am guessing the odds are pretty slim, but still possible since I don't know an exact time that I O'd. Could have been Friday morning, evening, etc. We dtd Sunday morning, so it could have been 24-36 hours later. Obviously, if it's in God's plan anything is possible though. If it doesn't work out, hopefully we will be in our first official month of TTC later this month after my AF arrives. He hasn't given me a definitely yes though, so I am still waiting, praying and hoping!

Thanks again!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page