CM. Lets Break it Down... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some questions.

I seem to get two types of CM throughout my cycle. They are:

1) Creamy: some opacity of white. sometimes thicker (like semen) sometimes thinner (like lotion).

2) EWCM: i get this one. its like snot. clear. stretchy.

What exactly is WATERY CM??? This is one of FertilityFriends categories, and I can't find out what their definition of it is. Is WATERY CM similar to EWCM without the stretch factor?

Also, my other question is...

For example. I just checked mine - and its pretty much creamy. HOWEVER, I detected the slightest little itty bitty spindle thang (stretch). or whatever they call it. A little guy. Does this mean its fertile? Is this some of my husbands sperm from last nights spelunking?

Does sperm stretch?

Yes I've read Toni Weshlers book. Its great. And it shows someones fertile CM stretchin' to China like nobodys business. I get that part. Its the other particulars that confuse me a bit. Like the 'wetness' factor. Like HOW wet it is...and how 'cool' it is. It all feels the same to me. I'm either moist or not.
#2 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 01:27 PM

I mark watery when it's clear but not stretchy? I'm unclear about the whole thing, too, quite frankly.

I start of sticky/tacky, move on to creamy, and then I seem to get a day or two of thin watery stuff and then EWCM, if I even see EWCM. I err... also have problems distinguishing from semen during those days.

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#3 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 01:39 PM

I have trouble with telling the difference between sticky and creamy.

I get watery sometimes it is clear thin, and well watery. If I even get a bit of EWCM mixed in with the creamy I mark it as EWCM. I have never had a day where it is only EWCM always a mix.

As for semen messing things up I always Keegel about 15 min or so after the deposit is made to get rid of the extras so it does not effect my CM for the next day (or later that eve if it was a morning deposit)

DS 4/11

#4 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 01:43 PM

I have trouble telling too. Mine has NEVER stretched to China, much less down the block.

I talked to my ob/gyn about it, and she was pretty much like, "yeah, it's really hard to tell the difference. I wouldn't bother checking it". But she is on board w/ charting and opk's, so it was interesting to hear her say that. Esp as someone who sees it on a daily basis.

Mom of 2 feisty boys and 1 busy business --Tmuffin--where we help moms connect through birth, babywearing, play, and parenthood.

#5 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 01:59 PM

I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means... but I have been charting by CF since January '08 (no BBT), so it's the one thing that I really pay attention to.

The biggest thing that works for me is to check the CF by using my hand rather than toilet paper. It just seems like once the CF is on the TP, you can't really tell what the consistency is, ya know? You're squinting your eyes at a WHITE piece of TP, so everything blends together, and then you usually can't decifer the difference!

OK, so here come the TMI portion of my Post:
When I check... I always "collect a sample" with a finger from the outside of my body (I don't usually go "up there" unless there isn't much to collect, and I'm deperately seeking a sign!). Once there is about a dime-sized sample on the end of my finger, I kind of rub my thumb and finger together to get a feel for it, and then pull them apart / tap together to check the consistency. That's usually how I detect the type of CF it is. Most of my CF looks exactly the same, so the only way I can really decifer the different phases apart is to check the consistency. IE: when rubbing/tapping between fingers, you can usually tell if it's Sticky, Creamy, Wet, etc.

The first month might be a little more difficult to tell since you don't have anything to compare it to, but once you have some idea of what to expect, the next month will be easier.

Hope this helps someone!!! Good Luck, all!
#6 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 PM

I think it depends on the woman. I get all types. My sticky is just that - sticky. Think of the creamy you've all described, but more like peanut butter consistency. Then I get creamy. I also consider clear without stretch watery.

I read once that it's not nearly as important to match your definition of a type with someone else's - just as long as you do the same for yourself always and are consistent. Makes sense to me.

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#7 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 02:04 PM

Oh - and Zen I know you're not up for internally checking, but honestly sometimes that's the only way I know what I have. For example, my sticky is sometimes so sticky it doesn't really count as "discharge" (because it doesn't) if you know what I mean. If I didnt' check internally I might never see it, so that might have something to do with it also.

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#8 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieD143 View Post
I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means... but I have been charting by CF since January '08 (no BBT), so it's the one thing that I really pay attention to.

The biggest thing that works for me is to check the CF by using my hand rather than toilet paper. It just seems like once the CF is on the TP, you can't really tell what the consistency is, ya know? You're squinting your eyes at a WHITE piece of TP, so everything blends together, and then you usually can't decifer the difference!

When I check... I always "collect a sample" with a finger from the outside of my body (I don't usually go "up there" unless there isn't much to collect, and I'm deperately seeking a sign!). Once there is about a dime-sized sample on the end of my finger, I kind of rub my thumb and finger together to get a feel for it, and then pull them apart / tap together to check the consistency. That's usually how I detect the type of CF it is. Most of my CF looks exactly the same, so the only way I can really decifer the different phases apart is to check the consistency. IE: when rubbing/tapping between fingers, you can usually tell if it's Sticky, Creamy, Wet, etc.

The first month might be a little more difficult to tell since you don't have anything to compare it to, but once you have some idea of what to expect, the next month will be easier.

Hope this helps someone!!! Good Luck, all!

Hmm. Good point. Yes. I also do it manually. Holy crap - I can't imagine trying to decipher by examining my TP. I read that and was all....REALLY? Even the whole 'swiping' thing. I think the only person that may work for is the gal with the SUPER CM from the book. I bet she is up to her EYEBALLS in that business somedays.
#9 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenproofstella View Post
Hmm. Good point. Yes. I also do it manually. Holy crap - I can't imagine trying to decipher by examining my TP. I read that and was all....REALLY? Even the whole 'swiping' thing. I think the only person that may work for is the gal with the SUPER CM from the book. I bet she is up to her EYEBALLS in that business somedays.
Well, let's hope SOMEONE is up to their eyeballs some days.
#10 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenproofstella View Post
I have some questions.

What exactly is WATERY CM??? This is one of FertilityFriends categories, and I can't find out what their definition of it is. Is WATERY CM similar to EWCM without the stretch factor?

Also, my other question is...

For example. I just checked mine - and its pretty much creamy. HOWEVER, I detected the slightest little itty bitty spindle thang (stretch). or whatever they call it. A little guy. Does this mean its fertile? Is this some of my husbands sperm from last nights spelunking?

Does sperm stretch?
Stella ~ Hi Girly! OK, I'm going to do my best to give you my 2 cents. Hope it helps!!! Here' goes...

#1) This is when I usually mark my chart as WATERY CM:
When I am clearly in the Creamy CM phase, and it looks and feels like lotion between my fingers, I start checking my CM really OFTEN because I know the Watery CM is on it's way! (I know that, personally, my Watery CM phase is super short. And if I don't catch it at just the right time, I usually never even see it. So, it's very possible that you are getting the Watery phase, but you just don't know it).
Anyway, after having Creamy CM for a day or two, I start checking my CM obsessively for about 24-48 hours. As time goes on, I can usually see a slight change in the consistency .... It starts out really Creamy (like lotion) and then slowly gets thinner and thinner. Once it's thinned out enough to the point that I can say "That looks like watered-down Creamy CM", I mark my chart as WATERY CM, and consider it Fertile CM.
I'm sure everyone is different, but I'm pretty sure the WATERY CM looks more like a super thin, watery version of the Creamy CM. I'm sure that there are women who get really Watery CM right before getting a bunch of EWCM, but I know I don't get an abundance of either... so this is the best way for me to chart.

#2) Like I mentioned above, I really don't get an abundance of EWCM. The only time that I have EVER seen the EWCM is when I see a tiny little "spindle" (LOL - I don't know what to call it either!) and it stretches really far. I know it wasn't sperm left over because we hadn't DTD yet. But once I saw that little patch of EWCM, we jumped on it!!!

#3) I'm not sure if Sperm/Semen actually stretches. I guess because I've never really played with it - LOL. In my experience, it doesn't seem like it would be...
HOWEVER... Everything that I have read says that it's consistency is almost identical to EWCM.. including the fact that it should be stretchy. So who knows.
#11 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 02:36 PM

This is based on my observations of my CM... I've been charting since Aug 2003. This may be TMI for some people, so proceed at your own risk!

Dry... I find nothing. At times the vaginal surfaces may feel slightly abrasive to each other on dry days.

Sticky... white or off white, small amounts of tacky-feeling substance not unlike half-dry rubber cement.

Creamy... white or off white, small amounts, kind of like thin lotion in texture.

Watery... it is like I'm dripping water. I may feel a little dribble down there (like AF fluids during my period), but it is clear. Small amounts.

Eggwhite... thick, stringy, stretchy, clear or streaked slightly. Sometimes only a little, sometimes a lot. I figure if it stretches at least an inch between my fingers, it's good to go.

Some of these can easily be confused with leftover semen. The day or two after intercourse, some of the leftovers that did not make it through the cervix may come out. It is usually white or off white, and may be sticky or slightly stretchy. It smells different though than our own CM. In my own experience, CM rarely has much of a scent, maybe a bit earthy... semen has a distinctive scent to me that is difficult to describe. Maybe more salty? Sorry I can't be more concise.
#12 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 03:04 PM

I just kind of know in my own head what I mean by the various designations. They may or may not be the same as other women, but they're close enough. I have to check internally most times although occasionally I am in danger of sliding off my chair and then it's pretty obvious.

Dry - I'm always confused by this, as there always seems to be at least a little somethin' around down in there.

Sticky - You know that glue stuff they use to stick credit cards to the letter they're mailed with and various other stuff? Kinda reminds me of that but less... solid.

Creamy - Kinda like watered-down lotion, definitely opaque, usually not a lot of it.

Watery, to me, just kind of resembles... being aroused, you know?

EWCM - This I have a really, really hard time distinguishing from semen. Like Toni I kinda rely on the smell to tell the difference. Usually clear and quite stretchy (which fascinates me no end), like it will form a "sheet" more than just a rope between the fingers.
#13 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 PM

One way to distinguish EWCM from semen is to get a glob of it and put it in water (example in the toilet)...semen disolves/dissipates pretty easily whereas EWCM pretty much stays in it's blob form in the water.
Also, I don't worry about the watery one. Some days I might feel moister than other days, but I can't really tell. Oh, and I always have some form of sticky/creamy. If the creamy has any stretch then it is "somewhat" fertile.

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#14 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuwamare View Post
This is based on my observations of my CM... I've been charting since Aug 2003. This may be TMI for some people, so proceed at your own risk!

Dry... I find nothing. At times the vaginal surfaces may feel slightly abrasive to each other on dry days.

Sticky... white or off white, small amounts of tacky-feeling substance not unlike half-dry rubber cement.

Creamy... white or off white, small amounts, kind of like thin lotion in texture.

Watery... it is like I'm dripping water. I may feel a little dribble down there (like AF fluids during my period), but it is clear. Small amounts.

Eggwhite... thick, stringy, stretchy, clear or streaked slightly. Sometimes only a little, sometimes a lot. I figure if it stretches at least an inch between my fingers, it's good to go.

Some of these can easily be confused with leftover semen. The day or two after intercourse, some of the leftovers that did not make it through the cervix may come out. It is usually white or off white, and may be sticky or slightly stretchy. It smells different though than our own CM. In my own experience, CM rarely has much of a scent, maybe a bit earthy... semen has a distinctive scent to me that is difficult to describe. Maybe more salty? Sorry I can't be more concise.
I agree with this 100%.

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#15 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieD143 View Post
Not TMI. That's what I do. When I actually remember to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuwamare View Post

I find your description spot on.

I call my CM "watery" when I can see that my pantyliner or underwear is wet but there's nothing visible.

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
#16 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 05:48 PM

first off, i can never tell what kind of cm i have unless i do it.. ah-hem.. internally. swipe-swipe.

second, like most of you, i get watery first and then ewcm before o.

however..
the times that i have been pregnant, i could almost tell ahead of time b/c when i checked internally there was a *HUGE* amount of creamy cm that was really white and abundant. i believe this was a result of implantation.

i think that a small amount of white creamy cm is "normal" for after o but a huge amount may signify that something's happening up there.

just my experience, anyway..
#17 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkin View Post
I just kind of know in my own head what I mean by the various designations. They may or may not be the same as other women, but they're close enough. I have to check internally most times although occasionally I am in danger of sliding off my chair and then it's pretty obvious.

Dry - I'm always confused by this, as there always seems to be at least a little somethin' around down in there.

Sticky - You know that glue stuff they use to stick credit cards to the letter they're mailed with and various other stuff? Kinda reminds me of that but less... solid.

Creamy - Kinda like watered-down lotion, definitely opaque, usually not a lot of it.

Watery, to me, just kind of resembles... being aroused, you know?

EWCM - This I have a really, really hard time distinguishing from semen. Like Toni I kinda rely on the smell to tell the difference. Usually clear and quite stretchy (which fascinates me no end), like it will form a "sheet" more than just a rope between the fingers.

YOU GET SHEETS!!

wow. youre my hero.

and yes. i totally understand the fascination. i was showing my husband the other day...he was not so interested. I was like ..THIS IS WHACK! DO YOU SEEEEEEEEEE IT???????????

I felt like Spider Man.
#18 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in09 View Post
first off, i can never tell what kind of cm i have unless i do it.. ah-hem.. internally. swipe-swipe.

second, like most of you, i get watery first and then ewcm before o.

however..
the times that i have been pregnant, i could almost tell ahead of time b/c when i checked internally there was a *HUGE* amount of creamy cm that was really white and abundant. i believe this was a result of implantation.

i think that a small amount of white creamy cm is "normal" for after o but a huge amount may signify that something's happening up there.

just my experience, anyway..
SERIOUSLY??

Because I did a few kegels yesterday...and got DUMPLOADS of creamy cm. more than I have EVER SEEN. Like AT LEAST a half bottle of Calgons worth. It was crazy.

That was 6dpo. Oh how cool would that be...
#19 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 06:32 PM

Spider Man, no kidding. We are like superheroes of mucus! Seriously, it's frustrating not getting pregnant but some days I'm just amazed that something as complex as my body actually functions at all. Then I get my period and I really don't care how amazing and wonderful it is, I'm miserable. So.
#20 of 34 Old 09-05-2008, 06:42 PM

Have any of you read Garden of Fertility by Katie Singer? I *love* that book!! Anyway, what she says about CM is that those descriptions are just for personal benefit. What one person may call watery, another may call lotiony and another may call creamy. So long as you see a progression up to EWCM and then back down again and record a temp rise progressively after the decrease in mucous, you can verify ovulation and are ok.

You are fertile from your very first cervical mucous after your period (or for some people it can actually begin during your period - for most it's a few days after your period ends) until after you can confirm that ovulation has occurred. Usually, you are most fertile when you have EWCM because the mucous tends to thicken the most just prior to ovulation. For some people tho their cervical mucous and ovulation are out of sync - which is why it's important to chart both.

Seriously, if you are trying to conceive I'd highly recommend Garden of Fertility because not only does it explain how to understand/chart your cycle, but it also gives great ideas for improving a hormonal imbalance, how to detect one, etc

Hope that is helpful! Good luck
#21 of 34 Old 09-06-2008, 08:06 AM

When I got preggers with #1 (aka the little lovebug who woke me up at 5:15 this morning), I also had loads of creamy white mucus a few days after ovulation.

On the semen vs. CM, CM will keep its consistency when you stretch it b/t your fingers. Semen changes its consistency.

Mommy to two super cute kids.
#22 of 34 Old 09-06-2008, 09:02 AM

here's my own (completely uneducated) reference points:

tacky: paste.
creamy: lotion.
watery: clear lotion.
EWCM: strangest phenomenon ever to see your panties.

Christie, mama to Maggie Lee 2/25/10
#23 of 34 Old 09-06-2008, 09:39 AM

OK, this is the tmi of all TMI's and I don't know why I am sharing (but of course zen will appreciate it!)

When I used to get lots of EWCM I would know I was fertile because after a BM I would go to wipe and see a string of it(ewcm that is), like 4-5 inches hanging out of me.

Hows that for copious!! I never understood what it was till I started getting "into" fertility signs. I used to think I had an allergy or something!!

I'm not sad to say that I don't have much of it anymore.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#24 of 34 Old 09-06-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
OK, this is the tmi of all TMI's and I don't know why I am sharing (but of course zen will appreciate it!)

When I used to get lots of EWCM I would know I was fertile because after a BM I would go to wipe and see a string of it(ewcm that is), like 4-5 inches hanging out of me.

Hows that for copious!! I never understood what it was till I started getting "into" fertility signs. I used to think I had an allergy or something!!

Oh, oh, oh, that is exactly like mine. There is no doubt when I am fertile.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#25 of 34 Old 09-06-2008, 10:13 AM

You can still be fertile even without that super stretchy egg white cervical mucous. Because healthy sperm can live for up to 5 days, if you have ANY mucous at all, sperm can be stored for several days up until ovulation.

So yes, one is most fertile when it's EWCM so long as one's mucous and ovulation are in sync, but one is also fertile so long as she has ANY mucous prior to ovulation.

While EWCM is the easiest thing for sperm to swim upstream through, even if you lack it or don't ever have much, you can still be fertile. However, if your EWCM is low, you might find you are not ovulating or have lower levels of progesterone necessary for sustaining a pregnancy or that it's just more difficult to conceive.
#26 of 34 Old 09-06-2008, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ok, so here's another CM question that's been lurking in my head, and is maybe topical..

First off, I am usually DRY. Or maybe some "creamy", if I go digging. Which I prefer not to. As a teenager, this made me think I had a constant yeast infection. Now, I know! (I swear, I will SERIOUSLY teach my daughters about this stuff...)

But, frequently either before or during my period, I get a bunch of clear watery fluid that smells like.. well, I think of it as smelling like my period, though my period doesn't actually smell, it's just this fluid. It doesn't smell bad... kind of like raw meat or blood. I'd just think I was suddenly really sweaty, except for the smell change.

I think I've been ignoring that because of the timing - it isn't spotting, but it certainly isn't a particularly fertile time... but is it really watery CM?

DH(37) + I(36) have been working on collaborative project #1 for 6 years, fighting more battles than I ever imagined. 

2/2014 - IVF cycle = 2ndtri.gif due in late November!

#27 of 34 Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 PM

I killed it But, I answered my own question out of TCOYF, by accident. It's not watery CM, it's part of AF... (in case anyone else has the same question..)

DH(37) + I(36) have been working on collaborative project #1 for 6 years, fighting more battles than I ever imagined. 

#28 of 34 Old 09-07-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post

Am I THAT obvious? haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

;-)
#29 of 34 Old 09-07-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnlaughing View Post
Ok, so here's another CM question that's been lurking in my head, and is maybe topical..

First off, I am usually DRY. Or maybe some "creamy", if I go digging. Which I prefer not to. As a teenager, this made me think I had a constant yeast infection. Now, I know! (I swear, I will SERIOUSLY teach my daughters about this stuff...)

But, frequently either before or during my period, I get a bunch of clear watery fluid that smells like.. well, I think of it as smelling like my period, though my period doesn't actually smell, it's just this fluid. It doesn't smell bad... kind of like raw meat or blood. I'd just think I was suddenly really sweaty, except for the smell change.

I think I've been ignoring that because of the timing - it isn't spotting, but it certainly isn't a particularly fertile time... but is it really watery CM?
There are some women who O durring AF. Perhaps this is you?
#30 of 34 Old 09-07-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olerica View Post
There are some women who O durring AF. Perhaps this is you?
I doubt it...I've had a short cycle all of once in my life.. but my temps seem to take FOREVER to come down for reals... like 10 days after CD1. So that might jive with some weird sort of double O pattern? If I didn't get another AF due to there being no lining to shed?

TCOYF seems to think that it's AF related, and I'm likely to agree because of the smell.. (which doesn't explain the pre-AF CM I'm getting this month, but it's better than the DRY was....who knows, maybe I'm pregnant? )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page