hospital pregnancy tests - too early? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 38 - TTC for over 1 year. This cycle was our first IUI on 8/28. I think I OV'd on 8/30. I was in emergency for an unrelated issue on 9/4, and the doc took a urine pregnancy test. It was neg. and he told me it was accurate and not too early too be wrong. How sensitive of him...
That would have been 5-7 dpo. (my temp didn't go up until 8/31 - so probably 5 dpo). Do hospitals have ultra-sensititve pg tests that can accurately detect a pg this early?

He zapped all my hope out of me this month. Then he rx'd Vicodin for what was either a kidney stone or an intercostal sprain, which i took for 3 days (5-8 dpo) thinking I wasn't PG so who cares?
But now I wonder if I can still hope. Was it too early for them to test, even at a hospital? And if I can still have hope for this cycle, should I worry that Vicodin did anything bad to a potential zygote?

Thanks for any help.
#2 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 01:14 AM

I'm not an expert, but I would say that you probably don't have much to worry about. even if you are pg, most likely it did not implant at 5 dpo (at 7 - may be it did). but if it didn't impant at that time, Vicodin would have had no effect on it.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#3 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 01:40 AM

I don't think their tests are any more sensitive than you can get elsewhere. 5dpo would be too early for implantation, so there would be no hcg yet to detect.

Even if you are pregnant and you took Vicodin for a few days, I doubt it would hurt the little one. Until the placenta is formed, the zygote and then early embryo exists on a yolk sac like any other embryonic being. What goes into your blood system doesn't start crossing over to the baby until the placenta and chorionic villi begin to function.
#4 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuwamare View Post
I don't think their tests are any more sensitive than you can get elsewhere. 5dpo would be too early for implantation, so there would be no hcg yet to detect.

Even if you are pregnant and you took Vicodin for a few days, I doubt it would hurt the little one. Until the placenta is formed, the zygote and then early embryo exists on a yolk sac like any other embryonic being. What goes into your blood system doesn't start crossing over to the baby until the placenta and chorionic villi begin to function.
: Tuwamare is right. That is way too soon for anyone to tell you "it was accurate and not too early too be wrong." the doctor for being so insensitive and making you feel like there is no hope.

Hang in there, think positive and good luck!
#5 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 01:31 PM

That doctor has no idea what he's talking about. Seriously. Most implantations occur 8-10DPO, so how is a 5DPO test so conclusive?? It's not, not by a longshot. I.e., you could be pregnant but there's no way of knowing at 5DPO because no implantation has occurred yet.

My advice, don't take the meds until you've run it by an ob/gyn md., and then not a bad idea to double check on the internet yourself. And report this doctor that said there's no chance you're pregnant. Saying things like this poses serious dangers to those who he prescribes meds to.
#6 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 PM

Well, sorry to be the naysayer, the above info is not accurate. There is a small amount of hcg detectable after conception (usually around 5-10) that a quantitative hcg blood test can detect, which is why anything over 5 is considered pregnant (but there are no urine tests that can detect levels this low). Usually by 3 days post o. The hcg won't go up from there, however, until implantation occurs. I've had a blood test done at 5dpo that was <1, so very negative. And I most definitely was not pregnant that month (even though I was convinced I was). The reason for my test was gross hematuria (blood in the urine - LOTS of it).

Don't get too discouraged though. It will happen for you! Hugs!

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#7 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 02:09 PM

I will agree with you, but hte OP said the dr did a urine test, not a quantitative blood test.

at 5DPO no urine test is accurate!
#8 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 02:12 PM

Quantitative blood test - you'd MAYBE get a positive (5+ hCG in your blood) at 7 DPO. MAYBE. Unlikely but maybe.

Qualitative blood test and/or urine test? Most likely not, no. Not at 7 DPO. Very rare that you would get a positive result, esp with a urine test (hCG enters blood before urine).

The urine strips my cousins office uses (she works in a lab) are the same tests I can buy on eBay for cheap. They detect 20-25 miu hCG.

I mean, I'm a high hCG producer and I took the most sensitive of sensitive tests at 7 DPO and barely got a line (OSOM test). And that was soooo very light and no dr office I've seen uses those tests (though they should, they are the most accurate - no evaps/false +'s that I've seen).
#9 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 02:16 PM

Tex - you are absolutely right! I missed the part about urine test - yes - that is WAY too early for any urine test. I don't know of a urine test that can detect less than 15, and having 15 by 7dpo is a longshot, especially if implantation has not occurred, which it probably had not.

Any chance you coudl go to your own doc for a quant hcg now? I wouldn't take those meds under the circumstances, but considering those circumstances, I think any doc would REQUIRE a quant before prescribing drugs like that. Yes, very foolish of him.

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page