OPK as HPT? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will an OPK ALWAYS test positive if you are pregnant? I know that according to peeonastick that it will, but... is this the always the case, or are there exceptions to the rule?

“Millions of couples suffer from infertility, so why the censored.gif is everyone pregnant but me?”

#2 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 12:40 PM

I believe it will always test positive. I know mine did. I think my internet OPKs were actually more sensitive than the internet pregnancy test because the line showed up darker and faster on the OPK.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#3 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't get a positive (not even a faint second line) on an OPK until I was 6 or 7 weeks past my LMP, but my HPTs were always positive and very dark.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#4 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 04:03 PM

I have some questions regarding opks as well. The nurse at my doctor's office said that I will need to start taking opks. I am on 200mg of clomid and next month they want me to take a trigger shot and possible iui and that is why they want me to do the opk. I decided to get some opks so I would understand how they work. I bought the Answer brand with twenty tests. So I took one on day 29 and the test line was definetly darker than the control line. I called my doctor and they said they wouldn't expect it but it could be possible. They said that it should be correct. The test has been the same for three days. I thought it would only be postive two days. The test says that injections can affect the test so why would they tell me to start doing them. I haven't have an injection yet. Also it says to ask your doctor how clomid can affect the test. I hate to keep calling them and asking questions. I know time will answer all the questions but I am so anxious. I don't fully understand cm because I rarely o. I do think that normally it would be creamy by day 31 but now it is clear and very watery. Any answers?
#5 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 04:25 PM

They worked for me* i was using target brand opks* for what ended up a 2nd m/c ... i was missing temps and doubted my O date so i was taking opks at what was 9 til 13dpo on 14dpo i took a internet cheapy hpt and got a nice dark + .

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#6 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 04:50 PM

I may have to test this out - considering Im out of preggo tests...but I do have several OPKs still.

I've tried this in previous months, and it didn't work. OBVIOUSLY - I'm still TTC.

ha.

yeah..so i tried it. didn't work. DOH!
#7 of 10 Old 09-12-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn57701 View Post
I have some questions regarding opks as well. The nurse at my doctor's office said that I will need to start taking opks. I am on 200mg of clomid and next month they want me to take a trigger shot and possible iui and that is why they want me to do the opk. I decided to get some opks so I would understand how they work. I bought the Answer brand with twenty tests. So I took one on day 29 and the test line was definetly darker than the control line. I called my doctor and they said they wouldn't expect it but it could be possible. They said that it should be correct. The test has been the same for three days. I thought it would only be postive two days. The test says that injections can affect the test so why would they tell me to start doing them. I haven't have an injection yet. Also it says to ask your doctor how clomid can affect the test. I hate to keep calling them and asking questions. I know time will answer all the questions but I am so anxious. I don't fully understand cm because I rarely o. I do think that normally it would be creamy by day 31 but now it is clear and very watery. Any answers?
Jen - I've read that OPKs don't always work for us PCOSers since our hormones can be so out of whack.

Loving wife to my Army man, Momma to energy.gifSammy, born 10/2009 and belly.gifexpecting #2 10/2012

#8 of 10 Old 09-12-2008, 12:58 AM

This is true. Women with PCOS may have elevated levels of luteinizing hormone (the "LH" that the OPK looks for), so you might always get a positive OPK, since your level might be high all the time. Clomid itself should not effect the test. It might, though influence when you ovulate, so if someone is used to ovulating very late, for example, and used to starting their OPKs at CD 20 or something, and they took Clomid at the beginning of their cycle, they would want to start using the OPK strips sooner in their cycle.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#9 of 10 Old 09-12-2008, 03:32 PM

I tried out the OPK as HPT thing when I became pregnant with my two three years ago and it actually did work for me. In fact, I checked first with an OPK because I still had a box left over from my pre-IVF days and didn't want to "waste" my HPTs if that cycle was a failure. I tested first around CD12, and the OPK turned positive immediately. I followed up the OPK with and HPT and it was also positive. Of course my beta was pretty high a few days later, I'm sure because it was twins, and I think this was the reason that the OPK also showed a positive.

Hope that helps!

Mom to twin boys (7/15/05), another boy 5/9/10, and our latest addition born 9/13/11!

#10 of 10 Old 09-15-2008, 11:46 AM

I know peeonastick says you won't necessarily get a progressively darker OPK if you are pregs, but I have been experimenting since I O'd, and I have getting a progressively darker OPK for the past 3 days. I'm getting a - HPT and am only 8dpo, but check it out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2458376...n/photostream/

So... I know, I know, I might not even be pregs, and maybe there is just more dye in the bottom one (from this AM) and none are actually positive, but it is helping me keep the hope alive.

Mom of 2 feisty boys and 1 busy business --Tmuffin--where we help moms connect through birth, babywearing, play, and parenthood.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page