Help using Clear Blue Plan Fertility Monitor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-06-2003, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

My acupuncturist loaned me the clear blue plan fertility monitor that another client of hers used to get pregnant. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the instruction booklet with it! I would really like to try it this month. Can someone help me get started? I am on day 6 of my cycle and my understanding is that I was supposed to turn it on day one. Is there a way to start mid-cycle? I really need to know the basics too, like how to get it going, where to get the sticks etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Deb
#2 of 7 Old 11-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
http://www.clearplan.com/TheClearpla...ityMonitor.cfm

Check that out. They have some good info. Might help you out.

Good luck!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 7 Old 11-06-2003, 07:46 PM

Alas you need to set it up during the first 5 days of your cycle.

I'm head out the door now, but I'll post more complete instructions later.
#4 of 7 Old 11-06-2003, 11:42 PM

So Here's the scoop.

Buy the sticks where you buy OPKs, and pregnancy tests. The tests will contain an insert that goes over the basics of using the tests, but not all the details on the monitor

If the unit is facing you, the screen is at the top right. The slot is at the bottom left.

On the left side is the on button. On the face is a small button with an M on it to the right of the screen. The M button is what you use to set the monitor.

Now for God knows what reason, this miracle of technology comes with no clock to set, just a timer. So what you do is turn it on, around the time you'd like to test each morning, and hit the m button until you get the current cycle day. This will set your test window which is 6 hours long (3 hours before the time you pressed the M button and 3 hours after). So if you press it at 8:00 AM you can test between 5:00 Am and 11:00 Am.

Each morning you turn it on if you get a flashing stick and an arrow then that indicates your should test. Either pee on a test stick for 3 secs, or dip into pee collected in a cup for 15 secs. Take the cap off the stick, cover the collecting end of the stick. Put the notched end of the stick into the left side of the slot, and snap it into place. If you've done that correctly the arrow will disappear and the stick will start to flash. It takes about 5 minutes to read the test stick, then goes to sleep. I usually pop the test stick out and turn it on, and you get your reading for the day.

One block is low, two blocks is high, three blocks, with the circle is peak. High means your estrogen is going up, peak means it has recognized your LH surge and you will ovulate in 12-36 hours.

I found it easiest if I keep the monitor by my bedside, and keep the test sticks in the bathroom.

The manufacturers claim you cannot get good results with a passed on monitor. They site the risk of infectious disease which I think is dubious, since a) I remember from some survival manual that urine is sterile b) You never touch the part of the monitor that the urine touches.

The possibly valid reason is that the monitor is supposed to learn your cycles, and keep 6 cycles of data in memory indefinitely. I've heard of people who got them used who are quite happy with them, but I supposed it's possible if you are very different from the last user you might have trouble.

You could use it this cycle, by lying about what day it is. Set it tommorrow morning to day 5. It's a risk that it will throw the data off and think you O'd later than you did, but it's an option.

You can PM with questions if you have any.
#5 of 7 Old 11-07-2003, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help! I think I will try next month since I'm already on day 7.

Best of luck to you too! Deb
#6 of 7 Old 11-08-2003, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gonnabeamom
The possibly valid reason is that the monitor is supposed to learn your cycles, and keep 6 cycles of data in memory indefinitely. I've heard of people who got them used who are quite happy with them, but I supposed it's possible if you are very different from the last user you might have trouble.
I reset the memory on mine, and then I reset it again after I had an anovulatory cycle and didn't want that data messing things up. I have the instructions to reset it. I just don't know where they are. I heard if you call the 800 number, some of the customer service people will tell you how to reset it and some wont (a few would even tell you it is bad for the machine...it's not...it's like reformating a computer disk).

Sierra

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#7 of 7 Old 11-08-2003, 02:30 PM

Bless you Sierra!

All along I'd been thinking that there must be a way to reset the thing!

They just want everyone to believe you have to buy it new! Greedy bastards!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page