TTC Diet??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

Someone posted a special diet to follow while TTC, but I can't find the thread anymore... it was recent within the past few days.

Anyone know who posted it or where I could find it? It was written by a doctor, just not sure who anymore. LOL!!
#2 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 03:09 PM

I posted one recently about the diet from the Bradley Method of childbirth... is that it?

http://www.bradleybirth.com/PD.aspx

Mom of 2 feisty boys and 1 busy business --Tmuffin--where we help moms connect through birth, babywearing, play, and parenthood.

#3 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 03:17 PM

Funny you mention this. I was JUST NOW looking up info on this topic.

This book has gained a bit of attention - as a specifically fertility related 'diet book'. However, I am somewhat leery - it is connected with the recent Womens Journal study about dairy and fertility...which I'm not sure I agree with.

Here is my thought. The journal points out the benefits of full-fat dairy foods as opposed to the popular low-fat, skim...etc options that many people consume. Obviously - this goes back to a - WHOLE FOOD IS BETTER. Soon as you start modifying something, of course you are probably compromising its 'goodness'.

Of all the foods that may have some bearing on your HORMONES - which affect fertility - dairy is huge. There are tons of added hormones in dairy, specifically MILK.

I consume TONS of dairy. Eggs, cheese, milk...etc etc. And usually full-fat versions. I have bad acne spots on my back - since quitting birth control - and that is usually an indication of high TESTOSTERONE levels. Which I'm now convinced is all connected to the LATTE I drink every morning...milk in my cereal...cheeses and creams in my dinners.

I have been at this TTC for our first for 8 months now. And am having issues. Everything else appears to be functioning fine. So to me - I read 'dairy good for fertility' and think...hmmmmm REALLY? I've just been advised by nutrionist to 'try' giving it up for awhile. Switching to hemp or almond milk instead.

SOOOOOOOO...here is a book on a fertility diet - but I'm throwing caution in the wind. you may want to read that FIRST REVIEW as well - its very interesting. and I am leaning towards agreeing with the reviewer...

wow. TMI maybe?

#4 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenproofstella View Post
you may want to read that FIRST REVIEW as well - its very interesting.
Oh joy.. I see she says peas have contraceptive properties? Granted, you probably need to eat a bucket full to have an effect but really - I'm not touching peas from here on out.

I need to read more elsewhere about this. What foods are good and what are bad. I really feel that I need to drop dairy anyway and increase my water intake back to 100+ oz per day. I feel great when I do both of those things alone.
#5 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 03:35 PM

Yes - just met today with nutritionist. He said "more protein, more water, less milk". I don't get that much protein...

Anywho...

So I went back to look into that review again , and just realized that the woman who wrote that review, is an author herself - has written several books, including:THE FERTILE FEMALE. WHICH, I've looked through...and actually appears to be a good one!!!

I may have to go get this one....
#6 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think either of these were the one's that I had seen, BUT... great information non-the-less!!!

I think I will steer clear of the peas and milk!

Zen~ Interesting information regarding doing more protein and water. I haven't been real good about getting my veggies/protien or water in lately. I need to get better!! In fact this morning I was thinking about how I didn't have one single vegetable all weekend long (unless you count the pickle and ketchup on my burger).

I was planning on adding more carrots to my diet for better CM, until someone mentioned a higher likelihood of having a boy from eating carrots. I wouldn't mind a boy, but would really love another girl. LOL!! No carrots for me.
#7 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 05:13 PM

I just wanted to post a note that in January when we started TTC, I also started to be very careful about what I ate. LOADED up on veggies, salads, soups, healthy stuff. Now it's september and I've already had 2 cans of coke today and pizza at least 3 times in the last two weeks.

Thank you for posting this, because it reminded me to get my heiny back into gear and take nutrition a little more seriously.

Also, thanks Zen for the book-rec's!

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#8 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenproofstella View Post

Of all the foods that may have some bearing on your HORMONES - which affect fertility - dairy is huge. There are tons of added hormones in dairy, specifically MILK.
Yep. I'm lactose intolerant, and when I cut dairy out completely, my acne got better (among other things).

I avoid both dairy products and soy products because of the effects they can have on hormones.

I think as far as a fertility diet goes: eating as much whole, organic food as possible is good, being on a good multi-vitamin, and drinking a fertility-enhancing tea as well. I drink clover flower tea, along with the occasional cup of red raspberry tea. I also take a calcium supplement, because I do not eat dairy.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#9 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 PM

I am SOOOOOOOO ready to get on some hormone supplements - but my dr wants me to do this Female Hormone saliva test (which occurs over the duration of a whole cycle...collecting samples) - and until I do that and get the test results back, I can't start any supplements that might affect those tests.

Otherwise it will be skewed.

Unfortunately, last month I was taking the samples...but then I HAD A COMPLETELY JACKED cycle. It was horrible. So we decided not to use that for the tests. So I have to start over this month.

:
#10 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 05:40 PM

I know of several people (suffering from extended infertility) who've gotten pregnant after cutting the carbs WAY down from their diet (without much actual weight loss), one lady did it on the Eat to live Diet, another on South Beach, and one on Weight Watchers low carb diet. It has something to do with correcting insulin production and hormonal balance...they all have the same basic idea, *increase veggies* but Eat To Live cuts out all the dairy (basically vegan).

Good luck!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#11 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 07:25 PM

hey- i just wanted to stick my two cents about full fat dairy products in... zen, have you tried RAW dairy? and not consuming so much of it? I have found that with the sort of diet talked about by Weston Price to totally benefit my cycles...they seem to be really balancing. I was never really able to eat dairy (except for yoghurt) until i tried raw milk, raw cheese, and even raw yoghurt. there is a huge thing where i live about milk/dairy products being, if not organic, BGH free.

yeah, i'm all about the almond milk and whatever else floats your boat- but there is something to be said for food in it's purest simplest form. i don't think that the key is "more" of anyone thing, or less even, granted it is a pure and simple food product. i'm not talking refined grains, heavily processed foods- any of that. just the good old stuff. you know, the stuff your grandma grew up eating.

sorry to preach. i'm just stuck on this- it seems to make so much sense! and healthy mamas, babes, and kids.
#12 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redclover View Post
hey- i just wanted to stick my two cents about full fat dairy products in... zen, have you tried RAW dairy? and not consuming so much of it? I have found that with the sort of diet talked about by Weston Price to totally benefit my cycles...they seem to be really balancing. I was never really able to eat dairy (except for yoghurt) until i tried raw milk, raw cheese, and even raw yoghurt. there is a huge thing where i live about milk/dairy products being, if not organic, BGH free.

yeah, i'm all about the almond milk and whatever else floats your boat- but there is something to be said for food in it's purest simplest form. i don't think that the key is "more" of anyone thing, or less even, granted it is a pure and simple food product. i'm not talking refined grains, heavily processed foods- any of that. just the good old stuff. you know, the stuff your grandma grew up eating.

sorry to preach. i'm just stuck on this- it seems to make so much sense! and healthy mamas, babes, and kids.
This is a question I have as well. I try as hard as I can to eat MOSTLY raw dairy from farms I've seen in person, as well as grass-fed meats, eggs from a friend's chickens who are free to run around like chickens, produce I grow myself or from a local organic farm, etc. Raw milk cheese tastes better anyway. : Same for the milk, yogurt, everything. I feel like pasteurization changes the nature of the product so much that it's not really the same thing anymore. Plus I know what I drink/eat doesn't have growth hormones or a buttload of antibiotics in it or whatever.

Anyway, I'm a little caught up in the Traditional Foods thing at the moment. Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon is... interesting. The recipes are generally crap but the ideas are kind of neat to read about. I feel vastly better when at least most of what I eat is as unprocessed as possible. It's hard to do full-time because of availability and budget, but we try.

Anyway! This is a fascinating thread.
#13 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 PM

I just want to add in a Canadian perspective, just in case there's any Canucks on the list. Canada has WAY tighter restrictions on the hormones that can be added to dairy (or injected into cows), so much of the "don't eat dairy, it's full of synthetic hormones" doesn't apply to Canadian dairy products.
#14 of 14 Old 09-16-2008, 03:27 PM

Here are great guidelines to follow:

* Eat all vegetables organic.
* Eat low amounts of Dairy products and they must be organic.
* Eat fish at least three times a week.
* Eat all red meats Grass Fed and Organic.
* Eat all chicken free range/Organic.
* Eat all grains in whole, natural form.
* Eat carbohydrates in equal amounts with protein (gram to gram)
* Eat something high in enzymes with every meal.
* No soy of any form unless fermented- miso, tempeh.
* No refined sugars or fruit juices (unless freshly juiced).
* Drink lots of clean water.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page