Vegans TTC ~ Autumn/Winter - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 913 Old 09-28-2008, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All!

Hello new posters (and lurkers)!

Oceane for AF. You know me though, I feel pretty confident that you are all going to be big and pg not long from now. :

I have been busy this weekend. I processed and froze an unbelievable amount of tomatoes from our garden on Friday, and we scrubbed down the kitchen so that we could brew some beer with friends on Saturday. All in all a fun weekend, but I really can't even consider eating a tomato right now.

I really should get that thread started. I hope I meet some awesome pregnant vegans to keep me company until you all join me.

Have a beautiful Sunday, vegans! ::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 913 Old 09-28-2008, 11:13 PM

Catemom, hopefully there are more interestd PG vegans now than there were when I was posting on that thread in Jan/Feb.

But yeah, we all need to join you! You could PM Lilgreen too.

My chart was super stable in June too when I got PG. So hopefully it is a good sign this cycle! The spotting only happened once today. Strange.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#63 of 913 Old 09-29-2008, 03:09 AM

good to hear from you, catemom!

snow~pea, I always pick up sweets there, too. it needs to stop, what's the point in exercising if I eat my weight in Swedish sugar? :

veganmama, yay for a stable chart. and early ovulation, just not too early.

hh2.gif

#64 of 913 Old 09-29-2008, 10:33 AM

How are you feeling today oceane? I think the "tweaks" you are making having re-read the diagnosis chapter from the Infertility Cure are going to kick in a give you your BFP soon!

The next cycle after the m/c in February I O'd CD 11 so you never know, I might O early this time too. That's a day or 2 early for me.

#65 of 913 Old 09-29-2008, 03:51 PM

I bought wheatgrass juice today, it's not 100% pure wheatgrass but enriched with spirulina and green tea and apple juice. I'm doing 2 shotglasses full of that each day, since 1 wouldn't really be so much wheatgrass, right? how much are you drinking, veganmama?

hh2.gif

#66 of 913 Old 09-29-2008, 06:52 PM

Hi vegan friends!

This is my first day alone with Baby Cupcake--DH is back to work today for the first time since the birth. Ok, I guess I haven't really been alone, since my MIL came for an hour or so and made me lunch and tidied my kitchen! But we have been having a very nice day, actually. Baby Cupcake is doing very well--hopefully growing and fattening up!

oceane, I have looked at those curtains many times, and I love them!

Lizzy, I wanted to say thanks so much for the support via PM--we are now doing very well. I missed your LLL thing because 10:00 a.m. is so early when your baby is up for several hours at 3:00 a.m.!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#67 of 913 Old 09-29-2008, 07:25 PM

Hi VC, I am so glad baby C and you are doing well.

My kids still don't sleep through the night most nights. Eeek.

Oceane, I am doing 2 oz of wheatgrass juice per day. It is dis-gust-ing.

#68 of 913 Old 09-29-2008, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hey vegans . Hope everyone had a decent monday. We met back with the RE today for our test results. DH passed his exam with flying colors. He has lots of swimmers and most of them are swimming straight. My glucose and insulin levels from the blood test were good and we already knew the x-ray showed my tubes are in good shape and unblocked. So diagnosis is PCOS and rec for treatment is clomid. Told the doc that we're not ready for meds yet and that I want to try work on my overall health first with diet, exercise, and accupunture. He was ok with this, but although he said that its not impossible for me to get pg without meds, he definately illuded that it was extremely unlikely.
Oh well, I am still going to try to get this under control naturally first. Even if he was right and we can't get pg on our own, meds are always an option. He expects to see us back by end of winter(said "see you when the snow thaws" on our way out). I won't have to get anymore testing, we can just pick up where we left off with him if we ever decide to.

femalesling.GIF semi-crunchy foster mom to A - 11mo

#69 of 913 Old 09-30-2008, 03:08 AM

hi catherine, yay for happy mini cupcake and you! glad to hear you are doing well. I bet it's exciting to be on your own with her all of a sudden...

snow~pea, I'm sure you can treat it with diet and exercise, or at least improve it a lot. you probably already ovulated now, at least according to your chart! and if you feel it takes too much time you bat least know what's up. I'm all for positive thought. let's up our moving time in October! and do a less-sugar challenge or something

hh2.gif

#70 of 913 Old 09-30-2008, 03:36 AM

Catherine- You're so very welcome! You missed a great LLL meeting... I was surprise, actually, how many moms came to discuss "Vegetarianism and Breastfeeding". I was only expecting about 5-6, and ended up having 16 or so! But, I made enough vegan cupcakes for everyone! : (I agree that 10am is too early for moms with very young ones!)

Snow~Pea- Wow, that sounds encouraging I think.. maybe it is just "not time" yet. I went years thinking I could not conceive, then got PG out of the blue. I did take BCP for about 2 weeks before it happened, though. I am pretty sure that helped.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#71 of 913 Old 10-01-2008, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

oceane, thanks for the vote of confidence. You are such a great cheerleader! I think I can do it on my own too. And I agree with you and FF that I must have ovulated already, so yay for a "normal" length cycle! I totally failed the fitness challenge for September, I am blaming my getting sick. I will shoot for 1000 min in October! I have been doing ok with sugar, my nemesis is chips! I think my goal is going to be to limit carbs, that should help with pcos too.

Lizzy, I have heard that before about taking bcp to get pg, but I don't get it. How does that work?

#72 of 913 Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 AM

I'll try 1000 mins, too. will be hard since the weather's getting worse and I usually just cycle everywhere.

I'll be home alone over a loong weekend. what decadent vegan treats should I make myself to consume while watching all the movies DH hates?

Lizzy, that's an awesome class you were giving.

hh2.gif

#73 of 913 Old 10-01-2008, 10:57 AM

Hi ladies, feeling pretty bet up today becasue of all this market turmoil. I am just exhausted.

Anyway, SnowPea, I know you can improve your PCOS naturally. Randine Lewis says so, LOL! Even if you do end up getting meds down the road (fingers crossed that you don'tneed them), the natural things youa re doing to get healthier will help with that.

I am CD 10, had some more spoting yesterday. I had that the cycle after my last m/c too. Makes me feel not that positive about this cycle.

#74 of 913 Old 10-01-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
Hi ladies, feeling pretty bet up today becasue of all this market turmoil. I am just exhausted.

I am CD 10, had some more spoting yesterday. I had that the cycle after my last m/c too. Makes me feel not that positive about this cycle.

hh2.gif

#75 of 913 Old 10-01-2008, 03:11 PM

oceane and Snow~Pea, how many minutes per day does 1000 minutes come to? My brain doesn't work so well right now! I should join you, because I could use some activity. It would be good for my moods, and it would be nice to get out some before the weather really turns awful.

veganmama, ick on the market stuff. What a disaster. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to work in finance right now.

Y'know what bothers me? I have these friends who had a baby two days before I did. They formula feed with soy formula, and they tease me that their baby is vegan and mine isn't. Just a joke, but it irritates me nonetheless. :

#76 of 913 Old 10-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
We're feeling it here too Trying to stay calm and prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow~Pea View Post
Lizzy, I have heard that before about taking bcp to get pg, but I don't get it. How does that work?
Well, it was an accident for me. I decided to take BCP for 2 months to stop my AF for our honeymoon but it ended up making me sick so I quit taking it after 2 weeks, had an early AF and got PG the next cycle (but, that did turn out to be a M/C and then I conceived DS the cycle after the mc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceane View Post
I'll be home alone over a loong weekend. what decadent vegan treats should I make myself to consume while watching all the movies DH hates?

Lizzy, that's an awesome class you were giving.
Anything chocolate.. lol

It turned out to be a really great class, and most everyone who came really enjoyed it and learned a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Y'know what bothers me? I have these friends who had a baby two days before I did. They formula feed with soy formula, and they tease me that their baby is vegan and mine isn't. Just a joke, but it irritates me nonetheless. :
That's awful!! Are they vegan? You're milk is the absolute best thing for your baby, regardless of if it is considered vegan or not!

#77 of 913 Old 10-01-2008, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Anyway, SnowPea, I know you can improve your PCOS naturally. Randine Lewis says so, LOL! Even if you do end up getting meds down the road (fingers crossed that you don'tneed them), the natural things youa re doing to get healthier will help with that.

VM, sorry you are having such a stressful time, try to stay calm if you can. And thanks for the vote of confidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
oceane and Snow~Pea, how many minutes per day does 1000 minutes come to? My brain doesn't work so well right now! I should join you, because I could use some activity. It would be good for my moods, and it would be nice to get out some before the weather really turns awful.

veganmama, ick on the market stuff. What a disaster. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to work in finance right now.

VC, its 33 min a day. According to veganf's blog there aren't any vegan formulas in the US, so there ! Besides I am pretty sure that human milk does not qualify as "dairy", so baby cupcake is vegan if you are. I've been getting a lot of joking comments and inquiries about my diet lately too, I feel like I have been on the stand defending it. Ugh, why can't people just live and let live. Its not like we go around jumping all over peoples sh`t for what they eat, so why do they always have to have something to say about what we eat? Wow, sorry, I really took that rant and went with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
We're feeling it here too Trying to stay calm and prepared.

Well, it was an accident for me. I decided to take BCP for 2 months to stop my AF for our honeymoon but it ended up making me sick so I quit taking it after 2 weeks, had an early AF and got PG the next cycle (but, that did turn out to be a M/C and then I conceived DS the cycle after the mc).
Oh I see, I thought you took it on purpose for fertility. That makes more sense. Glad that it worked for you anyway!

#78 of 913 Old 10-01-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow~Pea View Post

Oh I see, I thought you took it on purpose for fertility. That makes more sense. Glad that it worked for you anyway!
Well, not for that purpose, but I didn't think I could conceive before that.. I hadn't been using protection for years before I took BCP for 2 weeks and got PG.

I've heard other women tell me the same thing happened to them too!

#79 of 913 Old 10-01-2008, 08:18 PM

I've also heard of women going on BCP briefly for fertility reasons. I don't know exactly how it works, though.

FWIW, I tried to skip AF once on a romantic vacation by skipping the placebo week in my BCP and instead of having a perid for a few days, I spotted for the entire cycle. : Just what I wanted!

Snow~Pea, thank you for joining me in a foot-stomping vegan rant! Lizzy, no, my friends are omni, but they love to tease me. Bleh.

#80 of 913 Old 10-01-2008, 08:20 PM

Hi ladies!

I have a new home for you all when the time comes http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=974854.

Snowpea Yes, your RE was nice, but that comment about seeing you later was just asinine. According to several people I've known and Randine Lewis, clomid's not necessarily a fertility cure-all. I wonder if the pharmaceutical companies have developed a clomid Pez dispenser yet.

Veganmama I'm with you on the market stuff, it's a worry for us here (and the lame solutions our gov't has come up with are really ticking me off).

Hi Oceane and LizzyQ!

Vegan Cupcake I tend to go all lactivist on people who are planning to use formula, it seems like some form of neglect to me. I've offered to give my $200 pump to several people who were planning to use formula, just to try to change their minds. Anyway, I hope you and baby cupcake are settling in nicely--the first day alone can be a little scary.

Happy Wednesday, vegans! :
#81 of 913 Old 10-01-2008, 08:24 PM

catemom- great thread! I hope we can all join you there soon!

#82 of 913 Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post
Hi ladies!

I have a new home for you all when the time comes http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=974854.

Snowpea Yes, your RE was nice, but that comment about seeing you later was just asinine. According to several people I've known and Randine Lewis, clomid's not necessarily a fertility cure-all. I wonder if the pharmaceutical companies have developed a clomid Pez dispenser yet.
I'll have to get over there to check out the new thread, will definately be lurking until I can join officially.
lol, clomid pez dispnsers. I definately was not thrilled with his comment either, but I am not stessing over it. He really believes in what he does, so I kind of have to just strike it up to ignorance on his part. Which is funny considering he is the one with the doctorate.

Talula, I just placed an order at Mountain Rose Herbs. I am so excited about how great the prices are! Even with shipping and the tea stocking thingy I had to get, it is still less than a 3rd of the price overall as store bought teas. Thanks again for the rec.

#83 of 913 Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 PM

That's great Catemom, I am glad you found some PG vegans to share the journey with!

#84 of 913 Old 10-02-2008, 03:24 AM

catherine, funny friends some people just love to throw anything out there. but breastmilk is awesome and non-animal derived anyway
I think it depends on what you count as exercise. I'm also counting my fast walks and bike rides to the library etc since I'm moving, so 30 mins a day are easy. But if you only want to count purposeful exercise it might be harder. or not, depending on your state of fitness

catemom, I already found the thread lurking in the pregnancy forums I wanna join soon! you're the pumping ambassador that's probably really helpful for some women. it can be quite overwhelming, all this info and not really "info" out there.

Lizzy
, chocolate is easy. and always good!

hi veganmama and talula and all you vegan lurkers

hh2.gif

#85 of 913 Old 10-02-2008, 12:25 PM

That is so silly. Sorry Catherine. People are so weird sometimes.

Catemom, I pumped for 10 months after I went back to work with both my kids and my 4.5 year old is still nursing once a day most days.

You should hear the flack I get about that! Um, it is good for him, he likes it, it boosts his immune system, makes him smarter and less likely to be obese as an adult. It is not hurting me or him so why is it "so wrong"? It's not like he is going to go to high school still nursing! We have talked about Christmas as being his weaning date. He is pushing for his birthday (march 21st) LOL!

Honestly I had hoped I'd be PG and he would wean himself, like his sister did, since the taste changes so much.

Nice pre-O dip this morning on my chart!

#86 of 913 Old 10-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Banned

*waves*

Hi! I'm not a total lurker, I post a lot (I thought?).

I haven't been too active on the TTC boards because thinking about TTC all the time makes me obsessive and kinda nutty. I've also been uh...not veg lately. I really do aspire to live by vegan ideals, but either I am doing it wrong or my body just doesn't like being totally meat free.

I'm dairy intolerant and I still avoid eggs...but avoiding meat is really hard for me. I eat very little of it, but it seems like my body is just happier when I eat it sometimes. Otherwise I'm constantly filling up on carbs and I'm seriously 190 lbs at 5'4" at this point, something has to give. It's bordering on unhealthy weight now. I know this sounds like excuses, I'm really not trying to be that way. I do try to do a lot for animal rights, and I think doing some is better than doing nothing.

Cycle day 11 today. Nearing O day. This is month two of my fertility herbs. I'm kinda taking a if it happens it happens stance now, not trying too hard. Ideally I'd like to lose a little weight before I concieve (of course, if I do I'll vomit for six months straight and will probably lose weight anyway). I also really want to have a winter baby again (it avoids being super pregnant in summer, plus I just love having a new baby at Christmas), so I am ok with it taking a few more months if it does. Ha, I'll probably get pregnant this month with this kind of thinking. It always happens right away when I am not really trying...
#87 of 913 Old 10-02-2008, 01:44 PM

Talula! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do--we're not the vegan police here.

catemom, I totally hear you on lactivism. I can see myself leaning that way--it's hard to be taken seriously as a lactivist until you lactate but now I have that well under control. This particular friend (the husband, not the wife) told me that when their first child was an infant, a lactation consultant or a LLL leader or someone said something they took to be offensive and at that point his wife totally gave up on breastfeeding. This newest baby is their third. I think the offensive comment was "Well, you certainly don't look like you make skim milk." What does that even mean, and is it offensive? I can't figure it out.

veganmama, your DS is going to be brilliant. I think that's fantastic that he's still nursing. You are an inspiration.

oceane, I used to be pretty fit! I think I'm now about 6 lbs over my pre-preg weight, amazingly enough. But I'm not quite ready to get back to my old fitness routine--I'm a wee bit anxious about riding a stationary bike , and these gargantuan boobs cannot be contained in a sports bra yet .

#88 of 913 Old 10-02-2008, 06:00 PM

Lindsay, Catherine is right that we are not the vegan police. One of my favourite people (my acupunturist/naturopath) used to be vegan. And was quite an activist too I think, but eventually did not feel healthy when she was vegan. Now she eats meat once a week or so and feels better. But she tries her best to buy meat that was humaney raised etc. And she still lives by mostly vegan ideals.

#89 of 913 Old 10-03-2008, 10:31 AM

hi everyone! it's a national holiday here today which means NOTHING is open (except restaurants and, thankfully, the dvd rental place). I got two DVDs to watch tonight and will likely eat muesli for dinner
hope everyone's having a relaxed friday.

hh2.gif

#90 of 913 Old 10-03-2008, 11:02 AM

Thanks oceane, "relaxed" is not quite how I'd describe my day but I sure appreciate the sentiment. Have a nice long weekend!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page