TCM & Acupuncture RESULTS - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a plug here.

I began TCM & Acupuncture last month. I had charted cycles previously showing a luteal phase of 11, and 12 days.

I had an extremely long cycle (my longest in 8 months!) and the longest LP ever - 14 DAYS (shoot its debatable whether or not I'm even having a LIGHT FLO today...so possibly a 15 day LP).

If you happen to have any Luteal Phase issues...and are interested in alternative ways of lengthening it - get THEE TO ACUPUNCTURE!!!

Am hoping for some improvement in the LATE OVULATION department this next month. I just wanted to give my testimonial.

In only one month, i am amazed to have such OBVIOUS results. Additionally my temps were more stable this month...and HIGHER after ovulation.

#2 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 02:42 PM

This is awesome, I have been mulling acupuncture myself so great to hear it's working for you! Just one question, though -- what's TCM?

Becca, mommy to my little pumpkin DS (10/09)
#3 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 03:42 PM

TCM = Traditional Chinese Medicine.
I've been getting acupuncture for the last couple months, but without the TCM aspect and I wonder what the difference is. It's all I have access to here and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm loving life with my DH and DS (2/28/10) and expecting the surprise of my life in September! belly.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif

#4 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

#5 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 04:26 PM

i started acupuncture at the very beginning of this cycle and so far it seems to be worse then my last one, not better. i don't know. but then I have thyroid issues, so that comes into play as well. i'm trying to acomplish both with acupuncture - get my thyroid regulated and help with cycle and fertility. so far i am not sure what kind of results i am seeing. my temps are slightly higher then last cycle, but still pretty low (that is thyroid stuff), i'm on cd 31 with no signs of O in sight. so I don't know yet what to think.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#6 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 04:28 PM

I began TCM and acup. at the 6 mth mark and have done it steadily for the past 16 mths. Some testimonial, eh? No, really, I believe in it wholeheartedly as well...it just seems I was really imbalanced. Changes with acup. have been: long LP, higher temps, loss of PMS symptoms, loss of menstrual migraines and less migraine/strong headaches in general. These changes were available within the first months of doing it. What the acup. noticed *after a long time* was finally a shift in my pulses, more chi in the body in general and a smoother pulse vs. my standard thin and wirey version.

For anyone who has been trying a while and is interested in Chinese medicine and fertility, please do read Randine Lewis' book "The Infertiity Cure." Please do not be discouraged by the title (she really should change it); it's a very comprehensive and user-friendly book that explains fertility from a Chinese medicine perspective and also delves into potential fertility issues. I can't recommend it enough. It's replaced TCOYF as my TTC bible.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#7 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetgirl View Post
I began TCM and acup. at the 6 mth mark and have done it steadily for the past 16 mths. Some testimonial, eh? No, really, I believe in it wholeheartedly as well...it just seems I was really imbalanced. Changes with acup. have been: long LP, higher temps, loss of PMS symptoms, loss of menstrual migraines and less migraine/strong headaches in general. These changes were available within the first months of doing it. What the acup. noticed *after a long time* was finally a shift in my pulses, more chi in the body in general and a smoother pulse vs. my standard thin and wirey version.

For anyone who has been trying a while and is interested in Chinese medicine and fertility, please do read Randine Lewis' book "The Infertiity Cure." Please do not be discouraged by the title (she really should change it); it's a very comprehensive and user-friendly book that explains fertility from a Chinese medicine perspective and also delves into potential fertility issues. I can't recommend it enough. It's replaced TCOYF as my TTC bible.

WOW!!! You're a pro!

It looks like you are a late ovulator as well - so I assume it hasn't done much in the way of stimulating earlier ovulation for you?

I've decided to go in for a laparoscopy in February if I'm not pregnant by then. My 1 year marker.

I've been saying all along (since I started the acupuncture) that I enjoy it so much - I intend to continue the treatment, for as long as I can afford to.
#8 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenproofstella View Post
WOW!!! You're a pro!

It looks like you are a late ovulator as well - so I assume it hasn't done much in the way of stimulating earlier ovulation for you?

I've decided to go in for a laparoscopy in February if I'm not pregnant by then. My 1 year marker.

I've been saying all along (since I started the acupuncture) that I enjoy it so much - I intend to continue the treatment, for as long as I can afford to.
I am actually a terribly early ovulator, around day 10 (hasn't changed that too much though I just got my surge on day 11 so at least we're cd 12 or 13 this month). Our big concern at this point is premature ovarian problems like early menopause. Last month was screwy because I moved from San Francisco to MI and was stressed out beyond belief...I'm not even sure I really ovulated at all to be honest.

I will also add that for fertility treatments like clomid, inject. and ivf, acupuncture is great. It really helped my horrible clomid side effects and when we pursue ivf later this year, I will definitely be going every week. During the worst clomid cycle I developed a horrible cyst (5 cm--docs were talking surgery) and after acup. and a "chi detangler" formula it burst and resolved on its own. But I suspect most of you don't need to worry about that stuff. It really does help the body heal.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#9 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeria_vi View Post
i started acupuncture at the very beginning of this cycle and so far it seems to be worse then my last one, not better. i don't know. but then I have thyroid issues, so that comes into play as well. i'm trying to acomplish both with acupuncture - get my thyroid regulated and help with cycle and fertility. so far i am not sure what kind of results i am seeing. my temps are slightly higher then last cycle, but still pretty low (that is thyroid stuff), i'm on cd 31 with no signs of O in sight. so I don't know yet what to think.
I know that my first acupuncture cycle seemed really weird and off, so don't loose hope. What does your acupuncturist say when you say you've not ovulated?

AFM: I've been doing acupuncture since 8-8-08 and I really like it. I am much more calm and even, which is WONDERFUL! My LPs are longer, though it's not moved my O date up any - which is ok too.
#10 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 08:47 PM

i had acupuncture without TCM (b/c i am nursing). i just wanted af back, as i had not had her for 2 years due to pg and nursing. the very first treatment got the ball rolling, and by the 4th consecutive weekly treatment af was visiting me, and i had o'd exactly 2 weeks after beginning acupuncture. i dropped my sessions down to every two weeks, and had o'd again, this time 3 weeks after af, and 1 week after treatment #5. next thing i knew, my bfp was staring me in the face. now i get acupuncture for morning sickness
#11 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 10:08 PM

Both DH and I have been going for acupuncture since July and I have NEVER felt better. I have more energy, and a general sense of well being that I didn't have before. We are moving on to IVF and the stats for acupuncture and IVF success rates are astounding. Here's the real good news... DH is a two year cancer survivor: The chemo left him with no sperm. In April 2008, his counts had started to return and were at 100 000 per ml. He just had his counts tested last week and they are up to over 10 million per ml.
Pretty huge jump for six months!
#12 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 11:30 PM

I have heard so many good things about acup. and was hoping to try it soon. I want to see if I have a regular cycle this month and if not I wanted to try it, but how offten should I go? Once a month? Right before I O? What do you ladies do? And when I am looking for one in my area should I find a particular one?
#13 of 22 Old 10-21-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Jay View Post
I have heard so many good things about acup. and was hoping to try it soon. I want to see if I have a regular cycle this month and if not I wanted to try it, but how offten should I go? Once a month? Right before I O? What do you ladies do? And when I am looking for one in my area should I find a particular one?
For cycle issues, I would say once a week until your cycle is back in line. This gives the practitioner the ability to address changes in your cycle as they occur.

I LOVED acupuncture and TCM. 6 months of weekly visits took care of: lupus, random, left-over symptoms that Westen meds did not address; cycle; got me pregnant and helped me through a miscarriage and got me pregnant again; helped heal a broken foot...

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#14 of 22 Old 10-21-2008, 10:41 AM

And here I was hoping the "M" had something to do with massage... (But that's got to be good for TTC too, right? Since everyone keeps telling us to "just relax"!)

Will definitely check out acupuncture. Is there a best time in your cycle to start it? And this is probably a stupid question, but does it hurt at all when it's being done or can you not feel it?

Becca, mommy to my little pumpkin DS (10/09)
#15 of 22 Old 10-21-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Cellaneous View Post
And here I was hoping the "M" had something to do with massage... (But that's got to be good for TTC too, right? Since everyone keeps telling us to "just relax"!)

Will definitely check out acupuncture. Is there a best time in your cycle to start it? And this is probably a stupid question, but does it hurt at all when it's being done or can you not feel it?
This answers your question!

MamaJay and the others who asked...

From what i understand, there are many different approaches utilizing acupuncture and TCM. Not all practioners method will be the same.

You don't have to worry about 'when to schedule' 'how often should i go?' etc etc. your dr. will lead the way for you. It is best that you follow whatever it is they believe is the right 'plan' for you.

Some incorporate herbs. Some don't. Some give them to their patients to use DAILY every day of their cycle, some give herbs just on particular days. Some go once a week. Some twice. Some use electric some don't.

For me. As is articulated in that report I posted a link to earlier - I go twice a week in the follicular phase and once a week in the LP. Roughly 5-6 times a cycle. herbs every day. Its not cheap. For me - but I go to someone who has a reputation in ATlanta for being 'THE FERTILITY' acupuncture lady.

If you are interested in finding someone in your area - I would first email your friends and family. Ask if they have had any experiences with acupunture or if they know anyone who specializes with Fertility issues. Odds are - this is your best bet. When i did this, I got TONS of feedback. Someone always knows someone! Best to start with people you trust.

I found my lady through my nutritionist. Ask people in the 'holistic community'. Do an internet search in your area like : "atlanta" "acupunture" "fertility". Check out peoples websites.

I am so inspired by all your stories here. ASusan, PinkFriend, Liss...Poet.

Thanks for sharing them with us!!!

off to acupuncture now!
#16 of 22 Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 AM

TTC for 2 years, failed IVF. Two sessions acu+ TCM=BFP. I know we are lucky, but I swear I passed my tubal blockage after my second session. (went back for three more before finding out I was pregnant...) It was not like any CM I had ever seen (even commented to DH after leaving the restroom that I had just passed a red rock) and I am convinced acupuncture moved the energy.

Total believer. Will go back for another try or a prep for FET.

Best wishes

Selectively vaxing, extended breastfeeding WOHM to Cjoy.gif (2/09), who was conceived naturally after TTC for 3 years and failed IVF.  TTC #3 in '11. Married to my best friend A love.gif.  Baby #2 angel1.gif (1/2011)
#17 of 22 Old 10-21-2008, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann109 View Post
TTC for 2 years, failed IVF. Two sessions acu+ TCM=BFP. I know we are lucky, but I swear I passed my tubal blockage after my second session. (went back for three more before finding out I was pregnant...) It was not like any CM I had ever seen (even commented to DH after leaving the restroom that I had just passed a red rock) and I am convinced acupuncture moved the energy.

Total believer. Will go back for another try or a prep for FET.

Best wishes
wow. that is SO COOL.
#18 of 22 Old 10-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Just wanted to add my plug for TCM and acupuncture. I started acupuncture in June after some disappointing FSH results. I was ovulating CD8 (way too early) but with a 13 day LP. In August (I think) I started chinese herbs. The last few cycles I O'd on day 13 but LP was a little off (normal when changing ovulation). This month we tweaked my herbs and I fully expect a 13 day LP. Oh and the best news my FSH went from over 12 to 7.1 this month. ::

So I highly recommend TCM and acupuncture to anyone with any type of fertility concerns. Well, actually I think it's a good idea to use if your even contemplating having a baby.

She cured a breathing problem in one session that 2 PCP's had been unable to cure for a very long time. I have found such great results with acupuncture that I am now recommending it to several of my clients.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#19 of 22 Old 10-21-2008, 02:04 PM

Thanks, zen and everyone else for the helpful information!

I am always suggesting to friends that they try TCM/acupuncture for their intractable health problems, but I've never gone for it myself. I'm early in the TTC process, but it seems like TCM is good for general health maintenance/balance as well as fertility. My husband and I may just have to try it.

Question: Do your TCM/acupuncture doctors suggest dietary modifications? I had a friend who was an acupuncture doctor. He told me TCM always recommends that one should eat flesh/seafood for balance. I'm an ethical vegan and not open to changing that, so his attempts to convince me to eat seafood steered me away from TCM at that time.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#20 of 22 Old 10-21-2008, 03:50 PM

I am really glad to find this thread and hear all the success stories! I am going for my first acupuncture session tomorrow. I recently had a "missed micarriage" (the baby stopped growing and has no heartbeat, but is still in my body). I don't want a D&C but my body is showing no signs of micarrying. I have heard that acup. can help get things moving in this scenario, so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#21 of 22 Old 10-21-2008, 11:56 PM

Hey Sky_and_Lavendar,
My gal had us do a diet diary and then suggested minor changes and additions to our diet. Things like adding green tea, avacado, and lots of leafy green veggies and cutting out as much sugar as we could etc. Just basic stuff...nothing too drastic.
#22 of 22 Old 10-22-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfriend View Post
Hey Sky_and_Lavendar,
My gal had us do a diet diary and then suggested minor changes and additions to our diet. Things like adding green tea, avacado, and lots of leafy green veggies and cutting out as much sugar as we could etc. Just basic stuff...nothing too drastic.
pinkfriend,
Oh, cool. Thanks for the info!

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page