Mothering Forum banner

anatomy ultrasound/find out gender

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  kateaton 
#1 ·
Since we're all approaching the half way mark (yikes!) I thought we should have a thread where we can discuss our big ultrasounds (for those of us choosing to have that) and if we found out what we're having.

Mine isn't for another week, but will update when I find out. We're finding out the gender too.

#3 ·
Even though we find out the gender we keep our name choice top secret too. I like having something of a surprise to announce when the baby is born, and mainly I just don't want anyone's input or opinions!

#4 ·
Is anyone else nervous about the level 2? Maybe I am a bit paranoid, but its seems like an awful long time to expose baby to so much intense ultrasound. But I also do want to make sure baby is healthy and everything. Ugh. Sometimes I think I do TOO much research lol.
On a lighter note, this is our first and I always thought I would want to know the sex asap, like how could you live with the suspense?!! Strangely enough, hubby and I have been talking about a compromise between finding out asap and not finding out till birth. We thought we would have the doc write down the sex in an envelope, then give it to a dear friend of ours who is very creative, to wrap up an amazing Christmas present to us from 'Santa'. We want to open it together, on Christmas, just the two of us.:love It will help make our Christmas that much more special, since we cannot afford to fly home to MN this year as we are trying to save up for baby leave (military, ugh.):crying:
Anyways, anyone know how long those level 2s typically last?

#7 ·
@FallonZ, the anatomy scans usually take 30-45 minutes. This will be my third, and my thinking about ultrasounds has changed over time. I decline the doppler at appointments (which supposedly gives much more exposure than a visual ultrasound), since I don't see much medical value in them. I do see value in the anatomy scan however, and think that with a good tech the benefits outweigh the risks.

#5 ·
I can't remember how long it was on my first two, but it didn't seem too terribly long. The tech/drs have been very focused that we've had and while they told us what they were doing and printed some pictures, it was not really a show of sorts we were mostly spectators in their measurement taking. I know there are a lot of opinions out there on it, but for me personally I prefer to quickly rule out the rare chance that babe will have a condition that will need immediate medical attention.

#6 ·
I have to have a bazillion ultrasounds because I'm high risk, so I try not to worry about it. None of the concerns I've read about have much evidence to substantiate them. I have already had at least 7 ultrasounds so far this pregnancy, and it looked like a boy at 13 weeks, but it was with an ancient ultrasound machine that's not the clearest, and it was a bit early to be completely sure, so we're going to find out for sure tomorrow. I have had all boys so far and would be over the moon to find out it's a girl, but I'll just be happy to get a live baby out of all of this misery, really. I'll have a level II ultrasound/fetal echo in early December, but I really wanted to find out the sex for sure before we go out of town for Thanksgiving. We'll be visiting my sister, and she still has some boy stuff left that she will give me, but I don't want to take any of the super boyish stuff if it's a girl. It would just take up space and would be too expensive to ship back to her so she can sell it. It would be nearly impossible not to find out the sex when I have to have so many ultrasounds, unless I just don't look at them, but I figure if I have to have them, getting to see the baby is a nice perk, so no way am I not going to look!

#8 ·
Thank you azohri ! Our doc likes to do an ultrasound in his office every single appointment, so we have already had 3 at 14weeks. Our next one is this Friday with him, for 19.5weeks. I think we will just start declining his ultrasounds, and opt for the level 2 next week. Thanks again guys! :thumb

#12 ·
We skipped the 20w ultrasound. We had a quick one at 10 weeks. We skipped the 20w one with our first. I'm thinking about declining the dopplers as well. I didn't realize they were stronger until after my last visit.
I like to keep things as close to natural as possible. I also can get overly stressed about possible issues, so I thought not knowing was better for me. The dr who talked to me about skipping the ultrasound was most concerned with the placement of the placenta, which moves so I was unconvinced. The other things (heart/brain/anatomical issues) they look for do happen but are very rare.
I was ready to do this ultrasound until a few days before and then it just didn't feel right for me. very few people seem to understand why we would skip it. I have a few reasons but understand why people do them. 25 years ago it wasn't "routine" and there is no evidence it improves fetal or maternal outcomes.

#10 ·
We found out yesterday that we're having another girl- our 4th. She looked healthy. We're thankful all looked well, but struggling with some gender disappointment. I was really hoping for another boy, so that my only son would have a brother. I love having a little boy so much and would have loved another. I love my girls too, so much. I know that I will love this new one too. But just being honest that I'm feeling a bit bummed right now.

#14 ·
Just found out on Christmas that we are having another girl :love...This also will be our 4th girl, and we too only have one boy. And...we also were hoping a bit for a baby brother for our son...However, now that it's sunk in, we are all so very happy that we are having another little girl. God in His wisdom knows what he is doing!!! And at 43, I can't complain either way...We are just so blessed to have conceived another baby!!! Oh, and our boy, rather than being disappointed that he won't be getting the little brother that he prayed for, for so long, is now quite excited that he will more than likely be our one and only spoiled "baby" boy ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.