Mothering Forum banner

Carriers/Slings/Wraps ~ Baby wearing

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Izzybelly 
#1 ·
Any baby wearing mamas out there? I was just wondering what everyone plans on using for carriers/slings/wraps? What have you used in the past? Which ones are you planning on buying? Have you ever made your own? How did it turn out? ETC?

We have one very old/cheaper carrier that my husband thinks is still good enough but I would like a new one. Also we have a wonderful Kelty for hiking but I need to reread the info on it to see when we can start using that again. I would love a Moby but have never used a wrap.... Also, those Boba carriers at Target look pretty nice...

I made a sling during my last pregnancy but was never comfortable using it. Good thing I got the fabric cheap! lol

#2 ·
I have: Manduca carrier, mei tai (no brand but made commercially), a woven wrap (do not remember the brand) and I hope to either make or buy cheaply a shorter woven wrap for fast use. I hated my ring sling last time and sold it and the stretchy wrap didn't really work either, neither me nor my daughter liked using it so I gave it away. In the beginning I will mainly use the Maduca, then move on to mei tai and woven wrap for a while and then go back to the manduca when I feel the mei tai is losing some of its support and combine that with the woven wrap.

#3 ·
I have a ring sling, Moby, and a woven wrap. Sold my boba (like an ergo), because we thought we were done :( . My first loved being worn, but my second was pretty mich done after the first few months. I might get fabric for a shorty though...

#4 ·
I've had a moby, mei tai, and sling. I never got very comfortable with the sling. I was constantly having to adjust. I liked the moby. It seemed to hold everything securely while still being comfortable and adjustable. Neither me nor my youngest liked the mei tai until she was a year. She never sat comfortably before then. Now she uses it frequently and likes to nap in it when we are out.

#5 · (Edited)
I somehow have a crapton of carriers. Planning on using a ring sling for newborn - I had a stretchy one (not a moby tho) first time around and hated it so fx the ring sling is better. I bought a pouch sling to try just in case - the ease appeals to be but I'm worried the baby will be too slumpy. I have a woven but I'm thinking I'll sell it for a better one - mine is 100% cotton and thick so it's pretty hot - if it was too hot for an October baby no way will it work for July. I like SSCs the best - have an ergo and a couple of toddler tulas. If they make a pattern I can't resist I am sorely tempted by an Oscha cairis.

Oh I forgot! I have a newborn mei tai that a friend made and handed down. I love it but the straps are pretty long/unwieldy.

#6 ·
I bought a pouch sling to try just in case - the ease appeals to be but I'm worried the baby will be too slumpy.
That was my problem with the pouch sling. I was way too nervous when my daughter was a newborn, it just didn't seem like she'd be able to breath all scrunched up and then I forgot about it when she got older. Of course I did MAKE mine and I might have had the dimension off.... :/ Some people really like them, though. :)

#7 ·
I have mini monkey (australian brand, like an ergo) which I loved once I got it. My son 7 months at the time and he loved the thing, as i'm pregnant though I don't find it easy to use. I also have a pouch sling, never got the hang of it though. Along with some other form fitted carrier. I'm sure I will be more into the carrier this time as I will have a toddler running around.

#8 ·
Newborn- k'tan (like a cross between a pouch type and a long wrap carrier, easier to use than the wrap and more support than a pouch.

Middle babyhood to early toddlerhood- pouch sling. I made my own for free watching a YouTube tutorial. It was pretty easy. I loved how easy it was to slide on and off a standing toddler who wants to get down frequently but can't yet walk long distances (or goes the "wrong" direction often)

Best all-around, and the one we wore right through? Ergo baby, great for containing fast and wiggly toddlers, and little sleepers, whether infants, crawlers, or walkers- we used it for medium hikes until the kids were in nursery school, too. Learn how to get them on your back and down by yourself, and consider a 4-way carrier that includes front facing (for occasion!) but that's ergonomically designed.

Good luck!!

#9 ·
LOVE Boba Wrap and Carrier

We were very lucky to be gifted the Boba Wrap and it was the no. 1 most essential piece of gear for us in the newborn phase. So easy and comfy, we didn't even use a stroller. EVER. Then, we were given a Boba Carrier and that has taken us all the way through 3 years old, no kidding! Amazing! Just love their products, the fit and easy, and that company is great, too! Boba fans for life. :)

#10 ·
We were very lucky to be gifted the Boba Wrap and it was the no. 1 most essential piece of gear for us in the newborn phase. So easy and comfy, we didn't even use a stroller. EVER. Then, we were given a Boba Carrier and that has taken us all the way through 3 years old, no kidding! Amazing! Just love their products, the fit and easy, and that company is great, too! Boba fans for life. :)
I am definitely getting the moby wrap. We now have two infantinos (not the greatest but one we already had and one was free). I just have to get around to ordering things now. :)

#11 ·
We have an ergo and a moby wrap, and I decided I also would like a woven sling. I had been trying to find one used locally, but really wasn't finding much under $80, and was hoping not to spend that much. My sister luckily just found one for me in her city on one of those Facebook garage sale groups for $20, in perfect condition! Couldn't believe it!

#12 ·
I have gone down a woven rabbit hole. I want them all! But I don't trust myself to actually use them so I am resisting for now. I never went beyond FWCC last time. Right now I have a 6 and a 7, but I think I want a 4 too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.