Mothering Forum banner

Where are you ladies at...

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Smella 
#1 ·
...with weight gain?

As I've talked about before (probably way too much), this is a big stressor for me during pregnancy.

I am up about 25lbs now (28.5 weeks). I'm pretty average for all my pregnancies combined at this stage- definitely not my highest gain, but certainly not my lowest either. However, I have always ended up in the same range anyway so I'm a little nervous...I keep reminding my MW that I gain a LOT each time so that she doesn't start getting on my case, but she'll always tell me things like I probably won't gain as much as I think in the 3rd tri...even though I know otherwise and am trying to establish that fact beforehand!!! (as a protective measure!) Gosh...11 more weeks, and if I gain like I have been, at about 2lbs/week on average (no matter how hard I try), I'll be around 50lbs again. Boo.

I'd REALLY wanted to do well and not top 200lbs this time (that would be a total gain of about 44lbs for me, which is almost exactly what I hit every time, if not more :( ) because it is so much harder to lose every time, but I've done so well and just keep packing it on, so I kinda gave up trying. :serious: Lame, I know, but it just gets so constricting at times!

Anyway, where are you guys at, if you don't mind sharing? Am I the highest gainer so far? Wouldn't surprise me...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I asked my midwife earlier in the week if my weight gain was still normal (I'd gained 16 lbs at 24 weeks), because it seems to have sped up quite a bit in the last two weeks.
I think you and I (1babysmom) have close to the same due date--I'm 28w3days. I've gained about 24 lbs. But like I said, it was steady and then it seemed like I put on like eight pounds in a little over a week!
MW said it's normal to have an increase at this time because baby is growing so much. She also said that it doesn't necessarily continue at the same pace and then, I've read, that things level off weight gain wise toward the end for many. I'm hoping to keep it under 35, but I'm also seeing that, like you've said, it doesn't seem to matter too much what I do.
I went into this pregnancy over my ideal weight and have been eating pretty well. Lots of protein and vegetable daily, and yes, some ice cream, too, and haven't been too worried about it until this past week. I'm just keeping an eye on it, but still eating pretty much what my body seems to want.

#3 ·
conception to week 21: gained 7 pounds
week 21 to 25: gained 17 more pounds!

no idea what i weight now (28 weeks) and won't know until my appointment next week. i feel great and look thin, though, so i'm guessing that my big jump in weight has evened out.

#7 ·
conception to week 21: gained 7 pounds
week 21 to 25: gained 17 more pounds!
just an update-- the reading from my 25 week appointment was a mistake, they told me the wrong number by 10 pounds. so it's actually breaking down like this:

conception-week 21: gained 7
weeks 21-25: gained 7
weeks 25-29: gained 2 (bc i was so freaked out thinking i had gained 17 the previous month...argh! well, i'm just glad the numbers are all straightened out now.

#4 ·
I'm 29 wks 4 days now and definitely feeling roly poly and uncomfortable about my weight gain. I was about 10 pounds over what I'd like to be before pregnancy and I've gained about 15 pounds. I'm a small person, so I feel like it 'shows' on my body type. I think I'd gained more by this time in my last pregnancy, but this time I've had some struggles with severe nausea so I didn't gain much for the first trimester. My midwife says my weight gain is back on track so I am trying not to focus on the weight but to focus on what it seems like my body needs at any given time and get some exercise when I feel like up to it.

Body changes are a weird thing to wrap my mind around. Sometimes I feel perfectly stealth, and then I try to pick something up off the floor or someone comments on "how huge" I am and I feel like I'm all stomach again. :laugh:

#5 ·
Body changes are a weird thing to wrap my mind around. Sometimes I feel perfectly stealth, and then I try to pick something up off the floor or someone comments on "how huge" I am and I feel like I'm all stomach again. :laugh:
I hear you. I've been feeling like I'm getting around well, taking the stairs pretty quickly ;) and then I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and I think, Wow, I'm quite pregnant!

#6 ·
I'm not super happy with how much I have put on. I didn't lose all the weight from my first pregnancy though so that is not helping. 8 weeks to go and I've put on the same amount I did with the first, so not liking that I will have 8 weeks left to gain.

Reactions: Sarah Bee
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.