Forum Jump: 

#241 of 422 Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
6. yes, warmed it up in cup of hot tap water
I just wanted to mention that you can stick the vial with PIO in your bra (between the cleavage) to warm it up while you prep everything else. Then just fill the need and inject. I used to do this with all my injections and it worked great.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 422 Old 01-15-2009, 01:46 PM

Last night I warmed it up a little in my hand and it was fine. Inside the bra is a good idea. Not going to bother with the warm cup of water any more.

I'm feeling A LOT better today. I got up last night 3 times, so each night has been less and less - perhaps less fluid to drain. I can move around very easily, tho my ovaries are still achy. I weighed myself this morning and I am down a pound. So I think we'll be able to move forward with the transfer on Saturday! They're supposed to call me this morning to let me know about the embryos, and I'm "on-call" for a 3-day transfer today, but unless a good number of them died, we'll do a 5-day on Saturday.

Thanks for all your kind words and support girls This has been a rollercoaster last few days for me and I don't know what I would do without you guys!
#243 of 422 Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM

I had a feeling it'd work out okay for you Jaz. I'm glad you're following your instincts on taking care of yourself.
Does not sound comfortable though.
Keep us posted on your embies!!!
#244 of 422 Old 01-15-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
KristinaMarie ~ No doubt that is contributing to the problem. Yesterday it occurred to me that I hadn't gone in a few days and for me, this is tragic! So I went out and bought some bran muffins and that did the trick. This will be my dinner tonight as well. I think the clinic is amiss when they say load up on salty junkfoods and drinks, yet do nothing to address other issues like mega-fullness! Plus they specifically said no fruits and vegetables!!! It's a recipe for disaster if you ask me.
What? No fruits and vegetables?? What would I eat! I don't eat grains much, or dairy, and I can't eat a ton of meat or it starts to make me feel nauseated. Hm.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#245 of 422 Old 01-15-2009, 06:13 PM

Pookie, that is the OHSS diet I was prescribed - lots of salty foods/drink, lots of protein, no fruits/vegetables, no potassium (although the Gatorade and Sunny D I was told specifically to drink all day does have potassium, so go figure). For protein, I got a protein shake from Jamba Juice (which was full of other carbs I wasn't supposed to have), nuts, and some meat. Personally, I think the diet is too extreme, not enough balance.

Joy, thank you! I got one call this morning saying my transfer would be saturday, so a 5-day transfer. I have to call in a few hours to get the details on the embryos. But I"m thinking there must be more than 10 or they wouldn't have given me a 5-day transfer. How are you doing with your 2WW?
#246 of 422 Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 PM

Well, looks like I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get a report on the embryos. She couldn't even tell me how many were alive. She said the embryologists were swamped today. I guess I'll get a report tomorrow when they call to tell me my appt time for Sat. Feeling slightly annoyed, that I was entitled to that Day 3 embryo report. But I guess it's better they tend to their business than make notes for my report.
#247 of 422 Old 01-15-2009, 09:26 PM

JAZ-Glad your feeling better, you had a rough couple of days. Hope your embies are doing good, I would be annoyed also, do these employees realize what we go through, I hope you get an update nice and early tom. Let us know.

Loving life with DH, DD-8/98lady.gif, & our miracle twins 12/4/10babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif after 3 IVF's and 3 yrs TTC

#248 of 422 Old 01-15-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

great news jaz! i am really happy for you! that is annoying to not get the report today but things must be looking good if they are giving you a day 5 transfer. saturday will be here before you know it!

thanks again for all of the PIO information. i think i will warm it in my bra (thanks Julia's mom!) while I ice the area. i am feeling happy because i switched from PIO to progesterone in ethyl oleate with 25g needles...that can't be too bad, right?

AFM-I am doing daily b/w and u/s because my follicles are growing fast! i have had to cut my medicine in half, which i'm not complaining about. tomorrow they will tell me when my ER is but the Dr. predicted most likely monday but possibly tuesday. i am feeling very hopeful and excited about it.
#249 of 422 Old 01-16-2009, 03:48 PM

Jaz- Congrats on your 5dt!!! I'm so glad things are working out. What a roller coaster. You have good patience. The part between ER & ET is what I was originally worried about most - I don't know how you do it without the report. I would be freaking out, but that's b/c I NEED TO KNOW - I have a hard time trusting things are all okay. I guess you know you have enough embies so it's just a matter of the particular details.
But I hope you get your info soon.
I know you did the antagonist protocol, but did you start with BCP's? I remember early on in the cycle commenting about how it'll be interesting to see how our different protocols work, and clearly the BCP/Lupron thing didn't work for me. I've read so much about how BCP's can oversuppress. and my RE wants to use them again with the antagonist protocol IF we go to IVF, but I DO NOT want to use BCP's or Lupron again. Would you be willing to give me a run down of your cycle - did you do day 2 antral follicle/suppression check & b/w? when did you start each med? I guess for my 2ww I'm really hopeful, but also arming myself with the info I need to do a good IVF protocol right away if we need to.

Snow - you are moving FAST!!! Can I ask what protocol you did? Did you do BCP's and Lupron? I've read so much since my cycle conversion that BCP's can over-suppress and I'm very curious about other protocols that people respond to.
How many follies do you have going? How are you feeling so far? Good luck with ER!!
#250 of 422 Old 01-16-2009, 04:30 PM

Joy, I don't have any time now, but if you want to PM me your email address, I can send you my complete spreadsheet tonight.
#251 of 422 Old 01-16-2009, 10:41 PM

I actually just set up a consult for next Fri. (if no BFP by then) to discuss protocols with my RE. She said something about doing estrace during the suppression month and then an antagonist cycle. They pretty much will not do IVF without a suppression/BCP month first. I could do the Lupron luteal phase without BCP's before starting the antagonist, also.
I'll find out more about those 2 options if I need to next Friday.
Good luck tomorrow Jaz!
#252 of 422 Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 PM

Joy, I got my report this afternoon. Ya know, you said you didn't know how you'd handle between ER and ET and not knowing. Well, now I know what my Day 3 report looks like. But after gloating over that for about a minute, now I'm like "yeah, but how many will survive to Day 5??? The worry never ends, does it?

The report was good - 30 of the 31 divided. There's 7 8/I (8 cell, grade I). 6 8/II, 2 9/II, and the rest 4-6 cells, various grades. She thinks we'll have plenty leftover to freeze. And I confirmed they freeze one per straw, so we'd be able to thaw one at a time. If this fresh one does not implant, that's what we'll do - keep thawing one at a time. My stim days are over....I hope!!!!

So the ET will be at 10am tomorrow. I guess the doctor and embryologist will come talk with us first, about our choices and make their recommendations. I hope there's a clear winner so there's not much debate about it.

Btw, has anyone heard that Day 5 embryos have a higher chance of being a boy? One stat was like 58% and one was like 65%. The reason is because the boy embryos divide a little faster between Day 3 and 5, and number of cells is a determinant for quality. Interesting, huh? I want a boy, DH wants a girl
#253 of 422 Old 01-16-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

jaz, wonderful news!!! i am so happy for you! it must be reassuring to know that most likely - no, definitely! - your stim days are over. i haven't heard that most day 5 embryos are boys but i have heard that a higher amount of IVF babies are boys. i've also heard that for some reason blastocysts have a higher rate of splitting into identical twins! wouldn't that be crazy?! good luck tomorrow jaz!

joy, i've been thinking about you and hoping your 2ww ends in a BFP! i did do BCP/Lupron. i havn't asked the drs. how many follicles they see. they just keep telling me, "this looks great. you are responding very well." BUT today i took a peek at the computer screen after the doctore left the room and i saw that i have 23 follicles. but i think those 23 follicles vary in size from 9mm-17mm. so, my question is: how big does a follicle need to be at ER? i am going into the dr. tomorrow a.m. and will probably trigger saturday night and ER on Monday. so far i have been feeling great. today i did start feeling quite a bit of pressure on the left side of my abdomen. it can be uncomfortable to sit for awhile and also to go pee.

joy, i hope you have a good meeting with your dr. next week.
#254 of 422 Old 01-17-2009, 12:28 AM

JAZ-So the wait on the report was definatley worth it. Everything sounds so great. I wish you all the best of luck tom.

Loving life with DH, DD-8/98lady.gif, & our miracle twins 12/4/10babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif after 3 IVF's and 3 yrs TTC

#255 of 422 Old 01-17-2009, 12:54 AM

jaz, that's such great news. I still can't believe how many you had - wow!
joy, hope things go well for you.
AFM, took last BCP last night, start lupron on the 19th. Ugh.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#256 of 422 Old 01-17-2009, 02:14 AM

Thanks guys I'm feeling pretty good about tomorrow. Going to bed in a few to get a good night's rest.

snowbell ~ You're going to be exactly one week behind me! And it sounds like you're feeling like I was one week ago. You might want to discuss OHSS with your doc now. Do you know what your last estroidiol level was? The doc could reduce your HCG units to help with the OHSS. I wonder if my doc should have done that, but on the other hand, my last estroidial reading was not *that* high.

I was just reading about the monozygotic twinning thing! It would seem the embryologist would be able to figure out which embryos would turn into twins. The clue is if they see 2 inner cell masses. The inner cell mass is what turns into the baby, and this actually gets graded on Day 5. So if there's 2, hello twins! I think they could split later too tho, after the transfer. Here's an article - http://www.ivf.net/ivf/new_research_...ies-o2811.html
#257 of 422 Old 01-17-2009, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

jaz, i believe my estradiol level was 1600 today. yesterday it was 1005. thanks for the heads up about OHSS and talking to my dr. about lowering the HCG.

i'm going to go read the article you posted. sounds very interesting!
#258 of 422 Old 01-17-2009, 12:48 PM

Joy, I found this article this morning while I was "researching" for my upcoming cycle. I thought you might find it useful...and there is a lot of other good information on this site.

http://www.advancedfertility.com/ivfstim.htm

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#259 of 422 Old 01-17-2009, 09:15 PM

Good news.....our unexplained fertility is now somewhat explained! Turns out, out of 30 embryos that were progressing just fine on Day 3, only 2 looked good today. Yes, 2. Just like your friend Joy, right? One was clearly the best, a 4AB (4AA being the best possible), was transferred. And the other, I think a 3AA was frozen today. There's some others that "could catch up" and might still be eligible for freezing, but they won't know until tomorrow.

So isn't that something? The doc said this is most probably why we have been having trouble. Normally, 50% of Day 3 embryos make it to Day 5. For some reason our embryos slow their growth after Day 3. She said if an embryo makes it to the uterus, but is underdeveloped, it will not implant - which is what is probably happening.

The cause? She has no idea. She said there's never been a paper on this topic. There's not even a technical name for it. She said she might do a study on this herself as she's got data and it could explain quite a bit of "unexplained fertility".

So I'm a mixed bag of emotions right now. I'm feel so relieved and validated to have something to finally point to. At the same time, my stim days might not be over at all. If this doesn't work, the next FET doesn't work, we're probably back to IVF #2. I so hope this 4AB decides to stick around.

How's everyone else doing today?
#260 of 422 Old 01-17-2009, 09:31 PM

Belly - thanks for the link. I also found a great site from the Sher Institute about the different IVF protocols and the pros & cons. They have a good one for older women & poor responders. I am working with my clinic (IF necessary) to do the Estrogen Priming with NO BCP's and only a 1 week Lupron suppression. After that one week, then I'd do one week of ganirelix with estradiol, then start stimming. The post from the doc actually says Lupron can compete with FSH on the cell receptors resulting in under-stim.
I also found out that BCP's can suppress the "antral cohort" and I think that's what happened to me. I had few antrals on day 2 of my IVF cycle after a month of BCP's and Lupron, and my natural antral check last April was around 9, which is low-normal. here's the link for anyone interested.
http://forums.haveababy.com/lofivers...hp?t13024.html

Snow- take is easy there you are going to be ready to go soon huh! exciting. good luck!

Jaz - I'm just catching up. Interesting how similar your situation is to my friend's - although she couldn't ovulate at all for years. I wonder if the imperfect embie thing is what's happening for us too, but maybe it's the endo, too. I think getting that perfect embie is hard and takes time, and I also hope IVF will help us get "the one" if we didn't get it this time. If you are like my friend, then #1 will work! They didn't even have any left to freeze.
How's DH's sperm? I know sperm fragmentation can cause the embie to stop growing after day 3 - up til day 3 it's all the woman's DNA doing the growth. so after day 3 it's the man's DNA determining if it continues. Did you get the SCSA test and the Penetration Assay done on his spermies?
Well, congrats on your ET and good luck. rest easy. you shouldn't need to worry about your unexplained IF anymore!
#261 of 422 Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 PM

Yikes Jaz, I didn't see that coming!!!!! Although it isn't great news, at least you have some idea on what was causing some of your problems. Also, now you know that you made the right decision going the IVF route. (I am super excited about IVF, but I also feel a little guilty for some reason...not sure if you had the same feelings).

4AB sounds like a winner! : Keep us posted.

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#262 of 422 Old 01-17-2009, 10:25 PM

Joy, you are very well-informed! And I'm wondering how informed my own doc is : Glad to hear your friend got pregnant.

From this page: http://www.inciid.org/article.php?cat=&id=442, I read:
Quote:
The physician explained however, that although the majority of the embryos looked beautiful, that Jim’s sperm DNA would not contribute genetic information until day 3 and that development up to that time was maternal contribution to the embryo.
So maybe we're looking at sperm DNA fragmentation. I don't know how that changes are situation, or even how it could help us in the future. DH was exposed to some serious hot springs back in July, but that shouldn't have an affect on things now. Need to do more research on this.

Bellybean, I think I did feel some guilt, but I didn't realize it until now!
#263 of 422 Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 PM

JAZ-Interesting to hear all this, with all the things that need to take place in order to have a healthy pregnancy I found it shocking how people get pregnant at all. :But yeah for ET on one fine looking embie. Sorry about the freezing situation but I think 4AB sounds like it will make it, just try and change the name 4AB in 9 months.lol. Take it easy for the next week or so and do whatever it takes to keep busy. I actually just bought some yarn to get ready for our ET. Haven't sewn in over 15years.. Also picked up some books and lots of movies. Just trying to prepare because I am extremely active and resting may kill me.

#264 of 422 Old 01-17-2009, 10:43 PM

Jaz - I don't think hot springs would do it if it was a while ago. Smoking, alcohol, and cell phone and environmental factors can affect it though. If you are thinking about future babies, maybe check into the SCSA test (http://www.scsadiagnostics.com/).

AFM- I'm feeling crappy right now. I'm feeling intuitively not pregnant (i feel that hollow, empty feeling in my belly), and I'm feeling like my local friends don't give a sh*t about what I'm going through. Plus, I've had to isolate myself from most of them b/c they are either pg, TTC and could announce at the worst possible moment, or have a new baby.
I also feel like they avoid me b/c of the infertility or something - like it's contagious or something. Or maybe they think I'm defective entirely or something. IF is very alienating.
and the 2ww sucks! sorry to vent and be negative.
#265 of 422 Old 01-17-2009, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

okay, i guess no IVF cycle is complete without some drama. i shouldn't have been so naive as to thinking that our cycle was going to go off without a hitch. as i type my hands are still shaking...

i will try to give the short version...

today i had an u/s and the dr. said she would have to see my estradiol levels but she was pretty sure i would be triggering tonight and have ER on Monday. they said they would call me later in the day to tell me what time to trigger (which as we all know is a very important, EXACT time). i got home from a movie at 4:15 and dh and i were looking over some ivf paperwork. it said they would call between 2-4 to tell me my trigger time. dh said i should call since it was past 4 and i said i was sure they would call soon and i'd wait till 4:30 to call them. i called at 4:30 and talked to the IVF operator who answers on weekends. she said the nurses and drs were all in the back office finishing making phone calls and to call back at 5:30. so at 5:30 i called back and the operator told me they had all gone home and to call back in the morning!!!! i told her that wasn't possible - i needed to talk to someone right now - could she page someone. so she paged the fellow who is on call for the night. the fellow called me back (obviously out with friends) and kind of freaked out. she kept asking me if i was sure i had given the correct phone number, if i had checked my messages, etc. i assured her that yes i gave the correct number and that there were NO messages. she said she didn't have the phone number to the nurse but she knew they wanted me to trigger tonight but she could not remember what time. she told me she would call me back. as soon as i hung up i became a mess. i just started imagining the worse: that the fellow wouldn't figure out what time i should trigger, which would mean everything would get messed up or cancelled. of course dh is out for a run at this point so i had no reasonable person to calm me down. he came home eventually (by this time an hour has gone by since i talked to the freaked out fellow and i'm a mess). dh tells me they will figure something out. we then decided to call the fellow to see what the latest was. right then she called me and felt really bad. she said she was able to get ahold of a dr. who looked up the info on a computer and said i am to trigger tonight at 9:45.

so in the end it was fine but lesson learned: i will call them anytime they are a minute late and i will make sure the operators transfer me!

i am so sorry this is such a long post but i am feeling MUCH better now...just writing about it helps.

so i guess the good news is the fellow told me that everyone there thinks everything looks great and my ER will be Monday at 9:45 am!
#266 of 422 Old 01-18-2009, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

jaz, i am stunned by your situation but a 4AB blast is great!!!that is fascinating info about the man's DNA taking over at day 3. congratulations on your ET! what are you doing to take care of yourself over the next few days?

joy, hugs, hugs, hugs. the 2ww is crappy to begin with and to not have supportive friends makes it even harder. be gentle to yourself.

momtoalexis, when is your ivf starting? i wish i knew how to sew!
#267 of 422 Old 01-18-2009, 12:51 PM

SNOWBELL- Sorry about the scare you had, people could be very incompitent at the expense of others. I should be starting stims Monday if everything goes well at RE visit Monday. Finished BCP Wed. and just got AF again today.uughhh. Two AF's this month, isn't that a beauty. Nurse said I may or not bleed after BCP but of course I did.

#268 of 422 Old 01-18-2009, 04:05 PM

Joy, I saw that test, but even if we test and get bad results, then I wonder what we can do about it. I've read that ICSI might help in these cases, but I wonder if there's anything that can turn the condition around.

I'm sorry about your friends. Perhaps they are just trying to be sensitive to your feelings, not knowing whether you want to talk about it or not? I had a good friend who had a miscarriage and it was a bit tricky, trying to be there for her, at the same time take her mind off it. Or maybe they're just too into themselves...maybe a good time to keep some space from them?

Snowbell, well that is certainly drama that you don't need. You'll probably get your chance to vent back at them on the feedback forms at the end of your cycle I'm still bitter about something that happened on our retrieval day, I don't think I've mentioned it here. My retrieval time was 10am, but I had to be there at 9am. We were there at 7:45 so DH could do his sample thing. I dropped off DH, while DS and I went shopping. We go back at 9am and DH still had not provided his sample! They said they were backed up, but there's 2 sample rooms and DH was the second guy there! I was freaking out, knowing I had to start getting hooked up AND babysit. It worked out, with the nurses help, but I seriously did not need that kind of stress that morning. Turns out it was a new girl at the front desk who didn't know what she was doing.

MTA, Yay for starting stims and getting things underway! I was pleasantly surprised with my AF after the BCP....so much lighter.

AFM, slept like a rock last night. I think partly due to the valium. Ya know, I took this valium one hour before my procedure, but it didn't take effect until about an hour after the procedure. So much for that! I do kinda feel pregnant, like something is in there. I know it's not the embryo. I wonder if they shot some air or fluid up there along with the embryo. And I am a little lightheaded....again, probably the valium. Also, I can feel my heartbeat stronger, but I measured my heartrate and it seems to be pretty normal. Just a little stronger I guess. Perhaps leftover effect from OHSS?

Now, when to test......
#269 of 422 Old 01-18-2009, 10:06 PM

hi ladies...sorry so long since i've posted, we've been crazy on the go and our internet connection is not the best right now, were switching companies.

snowbell....that is such a crazy story! I'm interested in how they handle it when you go in again, that is such a HUGE mistake on their part. good thing you got to trigger at the right time though...

so AFM...we got good news on Friday that my hcg was 808!! My nurse told me she thinks im preggers with twins because it was high for 16 days past fertilization. I go in again tomorrow for more bloodwork and possibly an u/s, I'm not sure which, when she told me the good news I kind of went dilirious and forgot to ask what i'm coming in tom am for.

I will keep you posted...I'm still totally nervous about our first u/s. I'm not feeling many symptoms except for being totally HUNGRY...anyone else? And wake up in the middle of the night to pee a lot, I'm not 5 weeks until wednesday so I guess its still early....

How are all you mamas out there?
#270 of 422 Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

CONGRATULATIONS YOGI!!!!!!!:::

I am so happy for you! Keep us posted on your u/s.

Jaz, when to test...big question! what are you thinking about doing? i am so happy you got a healthy embryo put back in on day 5. i am hoping, hoping, hoping that i will be in the same situation next saturday!

tomorrow is ER!! WOW!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page