ADVICE please re FET cycle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2009, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Howdy all and : to everyone for 2009. I have just gotten my BFN results from my FET cycle. My clinic suggests taking a month off (or at least the one nurse I talked to does) for "emotional" reasons. Like, getting over getting a BFN, I guess. She said I can start bcp's with my very next AF if I really want (one month of bcp's with suppression, then another AF, then estrace and prometrium).

Advice please:
Pros and cons of waiting?
Does anyone know of any medical reason to take a month off?
Any other thoughts on this?

There are so many very very well informed women out there, I am hoping to benefit from your expertise.

I think it will just drive me crazy to wait, but I want to be smart about this. Btw, we had 13 frozen, this past cycle they thawed 5 and only 2 survived to transfer. We have 8 left frozen now, meaning one or maybe two more chances to do FET's.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 08:53 PM

I don't know that there is any need to take a month off due to a BFN. Haven't been there yet.
I will say that I had a mc in September and as soon as I stopped bleeding my clinic gave the go ahead to start BCP and Lupron for an October cycle. I needed to move on. So we did. I actually had all my hormone levels do what they were supposed to that cycle but then the pharmacy messed up my meds.
If they think the only reason is because you need a mental break but you don't want it, I woudl proceed. If they think you need a break for a month from the meds and let two AFs go by before starting the pills for some reason, than I would listen. Sometimes we need to take action to move on.
I will say that I think I will wait a few months for a FET if this doesn't take this time. I have gained a LOT of weight being on the meds since September and the third pregnancy of 2008 and want to focus on getting healthy and be in a better mental spot to do a FET. That is just me though. I also know my DH won't be supportive to jump right back in.

Carly, mama to DS C (5th grade), DD Miss M (07/09, fostered 1/10, adopted 08/10), and Little Miss C (11/10, fostered 01/11, adopted 11/12). Foster Son, Mr. A, age 11 placed 10/13.
My angel babies , ~01/08~ (twins), ~09/08~, and ~01/09~.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 PM

I second what Christophersmom wrote. I haven't BTDT but it appears IVF is in my near future and I've been doing alot of research and lurking on these boards. If my clinic wanted me to wait for emotional reasons but I felt ready, then I wouldn't wait. (And I would not want to wait a month either.) Sounds like they'll give you the green light if you request it. But I'd make sure the doctor doesn't have any medical reasons to hold you back a month. I haven't heard of absolutely needing to wait a month before starting a FET cycle, but I'm by no means an IVF expert. Hopefully someone will pipe in if I'm wrong...

GL and sorry you're going through this.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:07 AM

100% agreement with eternal and c'smom - I would not want to wait for "emotional" reasons, it is emotional enough dealing with IF, so waiting wouldn't help me. However, if there is some medical reason for waiting, I would be more willing to postpone.

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

Old 01-05-2009, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your responses. I think I will be a basketcase waiting. I had a m/c in August and had to wait until my AF in late October to start bcp's, suppression, another AF ..... it went on forever it seemed like. I have sometimes gotten different answers from different nurses, so I think I will call again and ask every possible medical question I can think of and make sure there is no physical reason to wait. I so appreciate you all taking the time to think about this and give me some feedback. I only discuss my IF issues with 2 people IRL, so this is a big help.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
Old 01-05-2009, 12:06 PM

As long as you feel ready and there is no medical reason for waiting, I would jump right back into it. The only thing that you can do in infertility is keep moving forward. Looking back never helps and certainly not grieving for a month about what could have been. I'm sorry that you have to think about this at all.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif

User Tag List