Anyone have OHSS? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe this is what I have. My retrieval was yesterday - 40 eggs. I felt like crap after the retrieval, so much bloating and pressure. I couldn't even sit up straight. This morning I felt much better, after peeing 7 times last night. But after breakfast, it was all downhill. I'm drinking Sunny D like there's no tomorrow, but very little of it has come out. I think this is the problem....I feel SO full and bloated. I'm walking like I'm a weeble wobble! I'm guessing it will all come out tonight, like it did last night.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Any words of wisdom? It's like I'm following their OHSS diet of salty foods, protein, no fruits/vegetables. But it's making me feel worse. Give me a bran muffin and diuretic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 PM

You need to make sure and keep your RE informed. I had OHSS after a retrieval of "only" 16 eggs. Mine almost got me admitted to the hospital. Follow the instructions like you're supposed to and REST! I hope it passes quickly for you.

There's a good chance that you'll have to freeze all your embryos, if it gets bad. We almost did that with mine. I was able to still do a fresh cycle, but I can't imagine what would have happened if they had pulled 40 eggs. OHSS can get worse, if you get pg this cycle. You might be much better off freezing them all and doing a FET in a month or two.

Good luck!
#3 of 24 Old 01-13-2009, 11:11 PM

Just got over a mild case of this. Rest, rest, rest, thats my advice!! Warm packs to the belly. Warm showers on the belly. Call your RE if you have decreased urination or shortness of breath. best of luck!

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#4 of 24 Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 AM

Jazcat, Read what Lisa G, Julia's Mom and C's Mom said on my thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1022159
Take it so easy, keep the salty stuff coming and the gatorade flowing.
Hope you feel better soon.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#5 of 24 Old 01-14-2009, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you poetgirl, natrualmom, and chattycat. I'm already thinking we won't be able to do the transfer, unless I happen to start feeling better. I can't imagine starting a pregnancy like this, and then for it to get worse!

Let me ask you guys something. My clinic, as well as an abundance of internet literature, says consume salty food/drink. In fact, my clinic told my husband to make sure I drink Gatorade or Sunny D all day long. I should be peeing every 2 hours. Well, I woke up this morning feeling pretty darn good. Then I had breakfast. Then I started downing the Sunny D. And I felt worse and worse and worse, the more I consumed.

I did come across one paper (http://www.rcog.org.uk/resources/Pub...ent_ohss_a.pdf) that says mild/moderate OHSS patients should "drink to thirst, rather than to excess". This makes more sense to me. And it sure would feel a heck of a lot better.

Has anyone followed this massive consumption of salty-drink/food and believes it did help their OHSS?
#6 of 24 Old 01-14-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I need to vent a little. Just got off the phone with one of the clinic's nurses. I told her what's happening, how I felt like crap yesterday after drinking the fluids all day, I pee it out at night and wake up feeling good. I'm feeling good now, after a very small breakfast. She said I need to continue with the fluids and to call them if my urinary output is down. I told her a lot of times when I drink a lot, I will pee it out at night instead of during the day. She continues to say keep drinking and call them if my urinary output goes down. I told her if I drink all day like yesterday, I'm most likely going to feel like like crap again by the end of the day. She said I must drink.

Why is it so important that I drink all day?? What if I don't? Does anyone understand the physiology so I can feel better about drowning myself in Gatorade and Sunny D, causing myself to feel horrible?
#7 of 24 Old 01-14-2009, 03:09 PM

I don't know but maybe one the reasons you feel like crap at the end of the day is because you don't normally drink sugary drinks and that's a lot of sugar to consume? Would electrolyte water also do this job, like smartwater? I'm speculating...I just know lots of sugary drink would not make my body feel good. LisaG said water with lemon I think? Maybe try other drinks along with your SD/G-ade?

#8 of 24 Old 01-14-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

poetgirl, I'm going to try to find some of that smartwater today. Thanks for the tip! If it's just water, maybe I would pee it out every 2 hours, like they're expecting. But it is not the sugar that made me feel crappy. It's the fact that I felt like I was carrying a 20lb something in my abdominal cavity, which makes it painful to sit, walk, move.
#9 of 24 Old 01-14-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
poetgirl, I'm going to try to find some of that smartwater today. Thanks for the tip! If it's just water, maybe I would pee it out every 2 hours, like they're expecting. But it is not the sugar that made me feel crappy. It's the fact that I felt like I was carrying a 20lb something in my abdominal cavity, which makes it painful to sit, walk, move.
Yeah there's THAT Didn't mean to minimize that, just thought maybe the added sugar wasn't helping the whole situation. I really hope you feel better today :

#10 of 24 Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM

jazcat - sorry you're feeling so crappy

I drank a decent, little more than normal, level of fluids, but I didn't drown myself in them - probably averaged 3/4 of a gallon each day.

I don't know if this means anything, but it keeps niggling at my brain so for what it's worth.... I don't know if you've ever followed a low-carb diet or Atkins, but it's pretty common when people decrease their carbs for there to be a sudden weight loss due to the purge of fluids. I'm wondering if drinking fluids that are sugary would aggravate fluid retention because it's increasing the carbs. I don't know enough about physiology and chemistry to know if there's any logic to this.

Because of this, when I was trying to dodge OHSS, I stayed away from drinks with sugar and stuck with a lemonade like drink that I made. Lemon is supposed to be good for gently detoxing the liver and my rational was that since the liver breaks down estrogen (and other hormones) maybe it could use a little help after being slammed with all the IVF meds. I filled a half gallon container with water, added the juice from 1 lemon, some sea salt and sweetened it with stevia.

I hope you feel better!

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#11 of 24 Old 01-14-2009, 06:20 PM

I had pretty severe OHSS immediately after my second IVF retrieval, so I just thought I would chime in on the discussion. When your ovaries become overstimulated, they begin to dump excessive amounts of fluid into your abdominal cavity as well as into your capillary spaces. Drinking water alone can actually make this worse, because it causes further electrolyte imbalance called Hyponatremia. Electrolyte-enhanced products like Gatorade help to restore your body's electrolyte balance so that it can excrete the excess fluid that has built up. (As an aside, I actually preferred Pedialyte to Gatorade because it had less sugar in it.)

The reason that your RE's office wants you to continue pushing the electrolyte drinks is because your ovaries will continue to dump fluid into your body for at least a few more days and up to two weeks after your retrieval. (Which is probably why you still feel crappy and have all that abdominal pain and bloating.) The only way your body can continue excreting the excess fluid is if you manage the electrolyte imbalance that results from that massive fluid dumping. They also want to insure that you don't go on to experience a condition called Hypovolemia, which is an extremely rare but known complication of Hyponatremia.

My advice to you would be to continue taking it easy, get lots of rest, and be careful about pushing water without taking care to insure that your electrolytes are also kept in balance. It definitely isn't fun to have OHSS, but it will pass eventually.

Hope that helps, and I hope you're feeling better soon!

Mom to twin boys (7/15/05), another boy 5/9/10, and our latest addition born 9/13/11!

#12 of 24 Old 01-14-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Lolagirl ~ I really appreciate your explanation....now it is making more sense. I had a little bit of Gatorade this morning, maybe 2 cups, and although I could feel the tightness settling in, it's not like yesterday. Perhaps I overdid it yesterday, or hopefully I'm getting better.

LisaG ~ I'm sure you're right that the sugar does not help any. Certainly it makes me feel more full due to the extra calories. Stevia is a good idea, and I happen to have some. No lemons at home, so if I can manage to pick some up, I'll give it a try.

New Jazcat OHSS diet: smaller amounts of Gatorade, Smart Water, homemade lemonade - no excessive fluids, don't worry about peeing every 2 hours. Eat what I feel like. Cross fingers that this gets better before Saturday.
#13 of 24 Old 01-15-2009, 01:02 PM

Disclaimer: I was never diagnosed with OHSS.

However, I did feel extremely bloated and uncomfortable from the time of egg retrieval until about 7 weeks into the pregnancy. It took that long for the ovaries to settle down and for me to lose all the excess fluid. I was peeing several times a night, partly from the extra fluids and I think partly from all the hormonal stuff going on. I just wore pants a size up (or maternity pants) for that period and tried to take it easy. I'm just saying, even if you pass the danger zone for OHSS, not all the discomfort goes away for a while.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#14 of 24 Old 01-15-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

ghhghgttttttt6ifdjhweddyeywe tI'm feeling MUCH better today! I can move around very easily, I rolled over in bed last night without any pain....almost back to normal! My tummy is still protruding a little, but the abdominal discomfort is almost completely gone. The ovaries still ache, but I'm guessing it will be awhile before those resume normal size.

Can someone recover this quickly from OHSS? Now I'm wondering if I actually had it, since I got better so quickly. From what I've read, it takes a week to two weeks (barring pregnancy) to get better. Monday was my retrieval, Tuesday was hell, yesterday not as bad, and today almost all better. Should be on track for a Saturday transfer now

Thank you everyone so much for your support and valuable input and information!! I don't know what I would do without you guys.
#15 of 24 Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 PM

I've been reading this thread b/c OHSS is a big concern of mine if I end up doing IVF. Just wanted to chime in that I'm really glad you're feeling better! Good luck w/the Saturday transfer!
#16 of 24 Old 01-15-2009, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsunshine View Post
I've been reading this thread b/c OHSS is a big concern of mine if I end up doing IVF. Just wanted to chime in that I'm really glad you're feeling better! Good luck w/the Saturday transfer!
Thanks eternalsun. You are smart to already be thinking about it. There's actually a lot you can do in order to avoid it. For one thing, I don't think my doc should have prescribed me the whole 10,000 units of HCG, knowing I was at risk for OHSS. I feel incredibly lucky that I did not have a worse case. I've read some girls getting 30 lbs of fluid drained from their bodies!
#17 of 24 Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
Can someone recover this quickly from OHSS? Now I'm wondering if I actually had it, since I got better so quickly. From what I've read, it takes a week to two weeks (barring pregnancy) to get better. Monday was my retrieval, Tuesday was hell, yesterday not as bad, and today almost all better. Should be on track for a Saturday transfer now
I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better!

I think how quickly you recover depends on how bad the OHSS was in the first place and how aggressively you treat it once it sets it. When I hyperstimmed I felt crappy for about 4 or 5 days after my retrieval, but it was really the first 24 hours or so that were the worst for me (I could hardly move and couldn't pee for about 12 hours, definitely not fun.) I still ended up having a 5 day transfer that cycle, which is when I got pregnant with my boys.

Good luck on Saturday, I will definitely be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Mom to twin boys (7/15/05), another boy 5/9/10, and our latest addition born 9/13/11!

#18 of 24 Old 01-15-2009, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Lola! Were you almost not going to do the fresh transfer because of your OHSS? Yes, the first 24 hours were most unpleasant.
#19 of 24 Old 01-18-2009, 01:54 PM

I just thought I would check in to see how your transfer went. I hope it went well!

To answer your last question, my RE was surprisingly laid back about going forward with my transfer when I had OHSS. I remember asking his nurse if they were going to cancel the rest of my cycle, and she told me they only did so if the patient was bad enough off to be admitted to the hospital. My egg quality wasn't very good that cycle either (they retrieved 22, but only 12 were mature and only 8 fertilized,) so I think they were more anxious to go forward with a fresh transfer if at all possible. By day 5 we had 3 embryos left, two decent quality and one just barely limping along, and wee transferred all 3. 2 of them apparently took and we ended up with our boys.

Edited because I just checked your post in the January IVF thread. What a relief that they ended up having 1 good embryo for your transfer. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you!

#20 of 24 Old 01-31-2009, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Lolagirl and anyone else still following this thread ~

Yes, we went through with the transfer, got pregnant, and the OHSS has kicked in BIGTIME. I had to go the ER and had a 3 night hospital stay. And now my urine output is down, I fear I'm going to be going back. When I went in, I was extremely dehydrated, despite all the Gatorade and Sunny D. I was on an IV drip for 2.5 days around the clock before my electrolytes approached the normal range. So no matter how much Gatorade I drank, I certainly was not going to fix the problem.

So now I'm back home, my blood work was just about normal when they released me yesterday. But my blood vessels are still not behaving normally. I look 9 months pregnant and gained 20 lbs in a week. DH has had to take off a lot of work. I'm pretty much bed-ridden. Could last weeks or months...noone knows

Sorry to sound like such a downer on this. I just want to be realistic to others that might be going through this, or about to go through it. My advice - if you show signs of OHSS right after retrieval, cancel the transfer and do a FET later after everything resolves. I'm happy to discuss further on the thread, or via PM. In fact, I'm going to tell my IVF doctor I"m happy to talk any of her patients out of a transfer who think "won't happen to me"....that was my thinking.
#21 of 24 Old 02-03-2009, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

x-posting to continue the story here....

Hey girls, thought I'd give one last update before Jan IVF gets put to rest. So today I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY I had the paracentesis, aka drained, and am feeling like 1000 times better. They took out 4 liters of fluid, a little more than a gallon!!! It was so satisfying, let me tell you. I don't think I've ever been so happy. There's still quite a bit of fluid in there - I had gained a total of 22 lbs, and today's procedure removed 10 lbs, so I'm still up 12. But I can move and I have my life back

Why did they finally agree to do it? First of all, I have NO IDEA why they were so resistant about doing it. It was so simple and easy, and the relief is unmeasurable. This morning I woke up hearing popping sounds when I inhaled so I did some googling and sure enough, fluid in the lungs. This is the determining factor my doctors have been waiting for, in order to give me this drain. Why we had to wait for this I have no clue. I hope they use me as a study so the next person doesn't suffer so long.

So I called the doc, she had me check into the ER, they did a full ultrasound including the lungs, and then I got my drain. I was there for 6 hours today, but the procedure itself took about 30 min. The doctor ultrasounded me for awhile to find the biggest pocket of fluid she could, sterilized the area, pricked me with a teeny tiny Lidocaine needle, poked in the drain needle (didn't look at it, uncomfortable pressure for about 4 seconds) which got replaced with a flimsy catheter thing (as to not risk piercing any organs) and the fluid came gushing out full force. Such a relief, best feeling EVER

Other good news - the ultrasound technologist found a "probable gestational sac", which is what they must call it at this early stage. I'm only 5 weeks today. She said it's in a good location. And my HCG today was 2411 (21 DPR). Today, after the drain, seems to be the first time I've let myself be happy about it. Only happy positive vibes from now on.

Thank you everyone for all your support and sympathies. This was truly the most difficult thing I've ever had to go through and you guys were really there for me
#22 of 24 Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

That last post actually was written yesterday, Feb 2nd. Today I'm happy to report that last night I got up 6 times to pee! It was light in color and I lost 3 lbs SINCE I got home from the ER. This is major - I have not peed normally for over a week. The paracentesis definitely had something to do with it. I think my body is just happier without the extreme fluid and pressure.

So it would seem the paracentesis has somehow kicked my body into gear, at least to some degree. I think the fluid came from my legs, hips and other parts the fluid had started to creep. My tummy is still quite large, but I can live with it. My back pain has gone away, I'm sleeping great - no more codeine for me!!! I would so love to have the paracentesis done again. I know there's another 9lbs of fluid in there. But they made such a fuss for the first one, I don't even have the nerve to ask. Like I said, I can live with it. Should go away in 6-12 weeks of pregnancy, from what I've read. I'm at week 5 now.
#23 of 24 Old 02-04-2009, 08:38 PM

Wow, what an update.

First of all, congrats on your pregnancy!

Second, I'm sorry to hear that the OHSS took such a turn for the worse, it sounds like you've had a pretty wild ride the last few weeks. I remember when I was had OHSS I was warned that it could get become quite severe if I became pregnant, but fortunately I somehow escaped that fate. Thank goodness your doctor finally went ahead and did the paracentisis to drain out some of that excess fluid.

I agree that cancelling a cycle may be the best option when OHSS becomes especially severe, especially since pregnancy can exacerbate the situation even more. On the other hand, I know that none of the 3 embryos we transferred the cycle I had OHSS met freezing criteria, so we would have had to scrub the whole cycle if that decision had been made. The really crazy thing is that two of those supposedly crappy embryos resulted in my boys, so I guess they weren't that bad after all.

I hope things continue to improve for you. Take care, and congratulations again!

#24 of 24 Old 02-05-2009, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Lola. That would be a tough spot to be in if you just had a few embryos and couldn't freeze any, especially if you paid out of pocket. On the other hand, a serious case of OHSS could put you in the hospital for many days and that bill could add up for some. I think ours was all covered but we haven't gotten a statement yet.

So I peed out another 2.8 lbs yesterday. So now I'm up only 7 lbs from before this fiasco began. It's all in my belly. Today I finally ventured out, seeing people I knew and I fessed up, to some degree. I had to tell them something - it looks so ridiculous! I was in tears looking for something to wear. I've been wearing black stretch pants till now, but wanted something dressier to see people. I ended up finding an old pair of maternity jeans, that were falling off, but with a belt they look OK. Need to pick up a few things this weekend. Man is it stressful when NOTHING fits.

Still exhausted all the time. I wonder if this fluid I'm absorbing is toxic and that is what's making me so tired. 1 hour nap this morning, 2 hour nap this afternoon. Thank goodness for DH and preschool.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page