~*~ Spring 2009 IVF Thread ~*~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 875 Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by booja's mom View Post
I wanted to apologize for my rant yesterday not sure what was going on in my very confused mind. It is a blessing to have all of your to chat with.
Rant away :, that's what we're here for. I would bet that everyone starting to cycle has some level of fear and worry about the results. It's just a matter of how we deal with that fear. Besides, it's nice to not feel so alone with a super-busy stressed dh. My dh has his big deadline right after transfer, so you can bet he's not going to be around much for the whole process. : That's why I come here.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#62 of 875 Old 03-10-2009, 03:56 PM

Now I am feeling way down. I called the office and found out my fsh level is good (rising a little) but my estrogen is at 118. WTH! It was before 36 and 54 and now its pass the 100 mark. This is soooooo not good. I feel like just giving up. I am setting myself up for disappointment already. Why even bother. Also my thyroid sucks, TSH of 3.6. yikes but it doesn't matter with my thyroid cause my stupid tubes are the reason why I can't even get pregnant. I am so aggravatated right now. I just want my baby.

Hey perdita--its ok to vent. I am doing my fair share of it here. All of us are here for this, rant away. My dh is supportive in all of this but its hard for him to handle the shots and symantics of IVF. No one in RL knows what I am going through.

Me 39 Dh 44 IVF #1 Failed--only 3 eggs retrieved out of 9 follicles. ET:1-4cell severe fragmentation. Planning for next cycle. VERY DEVASTATED
#63 of 875 Old 03-10-2009, 05:08 PM

Wtng, I am very sorry about the cysts, they seem to get 1 out of 2 of us here. The bcps should take care of them. The reason your estradiol is high is only because of them though, no larger new problem. Cysts put out estrogen sometimes. Your pre-month with bcps will help all this and maybe give you a few breather weeks to find acceptance of the process. I know that's what it did for me and I am glad we had to ease in. Is your doctor going to have you take something to balance the thyroid?

B's mom, No worries friend. Come here and release whatever needs to go. We get it.

Perdita, : for AF and a 28 day cycles. Let it flow.

WELCOME Suzy!

Lucky, to you. Better to feel your way through your feelings now, so you can be more at ease during stims, ER and ET. I had to really work through a lot of stuff a few weeks ago. Negative thoughts are par for the course and with this very intricate scientific process, a little fear or unrest is not going to change the outcome of your cycle. It's better to be positive for you, so it's easier for you, but I really don't think you can jinx this. I felt similarly, that I would sabotage everything! I think it's normal to feel that way. We get so battered about relaxing. Just do your best and flood yourself with things that bring joy.

Hi J's Mom! Just wanted to give you your daily Started Lupron?

ARM~Had great acupuncture today and I was able to speak with a wonderful Chinese woman who will come to my transfer and do acup. before and after! I have to have the transfer in Grand Rapids and she is there and specializes in just this! Oh I am so happy! :

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#64 of 875 Old 03-10-2009, 05:11 PM

By the way, since I started stims I have been sleeping with a teddy bear.
I woke in the middle of the night over the weekend and felt I needed to hold something. I know it sounds regressive but it's totally working for me which is my way of saying, hey whatever works, do it!

#65 of 875 Old 03-10-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetgirl View Post
By the way, since I started stims I have been sleeping with a teddy bear.
I woke in the middle of the night over the weekend and felt I needed to hold something. I know it sounds regressive but it's totally working for me which is my way of saying, hey whatever works, do it!
That is absolutely adorable! And you know that if this is a successful cycle, you're so going to cite the bear!

Laura , wife to Jeremy : since 7-23-06. MFI caused by a Robertsonian translocation; starting DIUI cycle #5, this time with injectables. Trying to hang in there.
#66 of 875 Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 PM

Bear therapy - cheap and soft. Sounds good to me!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#67 of 875 Old 03-10-2009, 06:55 PM

Poet-you have a way for words. You are helping all of us tremendously here. You have given your wisdom to all of us. I am happy you pointed out that our negative feelings will not harm the "scientific approach." I'm always feel like my negative and pessimistic attitude will somehow jinx my outcome. I am trying so hard to stay positive and focused. At times if I am too positive about something and if I fail I will be floored really hard. I am trying to protect myself. But if I stay negative I won't feel so bad if something goes wrong. Is this sick kind of thinking?

I am not upset over the bcp, actually I am happy to be on them since they help me build my lining up. They actually calm my ovaries down alot. I feel more peace knowing that I am not ovulating and thinking I am missing my "opportunity." I hate to ovulate and theres nothing we can do to get pregnant unless we bypass the tubes.

This estrogen thing is bothering me. But it doesn't seem to bother the docs to much. Even the thyroid issue doesn't either bother them. I do take Synthroid for hypothyroid. I think theres some adjusting needs to be done. What concerns me is that I did have 3 cysts back in Nov and my estrogen level was only 36. So I figure the cysts are not causing the high estrogen. I have 2 now and my estrogen level is sky rocketed.

Jeez I need to get myself some acupuncture. The mediation is not helping.

Alright I have to get off my soapbox...

Poet the teddy bear is so cute. He will love you back.

Me 39 Dh 44 IVF #1 Failed--only 3 eggs retrieved out of 9 follicles. ET:1-4cell severe fragmentation. Planning for next cycle. VERY DEVASTATED
#68 of 875 Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Oh Wtng, thank you and more of these
This may ease your mind. Sometimes cysts put out estrogen and sometimes not...I'm not sure why that is but it is, maybe someone here knows? I've had cysts w/ v. high estrogen reads and this time I had three of them and my estrogen was like 11. As they go down with the bcp, the estrogen should drop too. Glad you feel ok with the bcp and yes, when you can, get thee to the acup. or massage or something totally soothing. Hang in there!

#69 of 875 Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM

poet, it makes me so happy that you are feeling happy! That is wonderful you found an acup. who will be there with you at transfer. Everything is coming together for you!
Also, great news on your first u/s! That's a lot of follicles you have! Gooooooooooooooooooooo follicles!:

I am looking forward to all of the BFP's that are coming this spring!
#70 of 875 Old 03-10-2009, 08:03 PM

Lucky - I had the same worries during my IVF cycle. I felt like if I was too positive I would jinx it and if I was too negative I would jinx it. It seemed like no matter what I felt, it was wrong. Talk about hard. I hope you find your groove again soon.

Poet - WOW! Nice work makin' those follies! : Those are great numbers already!

Keep the good news coming ladies!!!

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#71 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 01:36 AM

Belly Bean - its really great to hear from you. You're the reason I'm sticking with Dr.S. It's hard for me to look past the OHSS and then the failed cycle without thinking something is wrong with the formula. BUT... he made it work for you, so I'm going to give it another try. I am trying to let go of the idea that I can control this. It's so hard because I'm an MD, too.
Thanks for staying around to cheer for us!

Poet - THanks for your supportive words. It really helps

Wtg - sorry you're feeling down, we're all here to listen and help.

Perdita - Great cosmic sign!

BoojasM - Rant away! Hope things are looking up today!

AFM - still waiting to hear from my RE about when to start Lupron. Right now I'm on:
Desogen-BCP
Baby Aspirin
Citranatal DHA - prenat vit
#72 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Bellybean Wow! I just realized your u/s is tomorrow! I'll be : along with you for a beautiful little one with a strong heart.

Poet You seem to be dealing awesomely with the stims. Keep calm because you are almost there.

Wtg

luckyIVF I know what you mean about letting go. That's so hard for me, but I think I've been thru enough, that I do realize it's beyond my abilities. In some ways, the lack of control has strengthened my faith, which is so sorely tested by infertility.

DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#73 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 04:48 PM

Argh. I am so upset right now.

I just got a call back from the clinic, and they said "Oh, I'm sorry, we're full up for this month. You can call in with your next Day 1 and you will be pre-scheduled."

Well that's just *&&^%% great. Not only does that mean now I have to go back to work and say "Hey that LOA that we were talking about for April? Looks like it's May." And it might not even BE May, because MIL's 65th birthday party is at the beginning of June, and we need to travel to go, and I'm not sure whether I want to travel just around beta time. So that means waiting until later in the summer.

When I called the clinic last month to find out whether I could be pre-scheduled LAST month, they said "Oh, it won't be a problem, don't worry." You can believe I gave the nurse an earful today on the phone - not her fault of course, but I'm almost positive it was her last month too... if they can pre-schedule me now, why not then?

I am going to go and have a good cry and get it out of my system. It'll all work out... just that lack of control thing, kwim?

#74 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 06:29 PM

bellybean - good luck tomorrow!! : my first u/s is monday and i am terrified already. . .

perdita - that really, really sucks. i would have given the nurse an earful too. is there anything you can do to appeal?! it seems really unfair that they won't fit you in. :

big hugs to all of you who are feeling down & frustrated right now. i'm rooting for each one of you and hoping there is good news all around, very soon.

~sarah
#75 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 07:02 PM

Nope, nothing I can do. It's laid out in the consent that this can happen, and they commit that if they are "full" the month you call, you are "pre-scheduled" for the next month. All 3 previous cycles I've been fully prepared for this to happen - this time since they didn't seem to think it was a big deal, I believed them.

Oh well. She did say "if it's any consolation, May is always our most successful month." She'd better be right. Hmph.

#76 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 07:43 PM

perdita--How awful to get that call. Its already nervewracking to deal with the motions of IVF but to have them to delay this, argh. But at least you can cycle in May. I would go for it and then worry about the beta later. Its always something to worry about.

AFM: My box of meds came in. I felt uneasy while opening it up but then I went through them all and was shocked to see not many drugs. I hope the doc ordered enough drugs for me. I hope he didn't go the cheap way of things. I am paying everything out-of-pocket but I would pay more if I got better drugs. I only received 45 vials of Bravelle, lupron vial, hcg shot and progesterone vag tabs. What the heck is the doxycycline for?

#77 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 PM

Wow! It is amazing and inspirational to read these stories and know that I am not alone. My husband and I have been trying for nearly a decade with no success, and just finished our first IVF cycle. I was depressed, waiting for the doctor's call because I had already resigned myself to a no - I mean, how could I be that lucky after all these years? I am still in a state of shock but yesterday he called and said that magic word, "Congratulations". I am happy and scared and fearful and excited all at the same time. I mean, I still don't see how it's possible - even after all those shots, and careful planning! I am also scared it will be a false positive. I heard that you can get a chemical positive pretty easy, so I am trying not to put the cart before the horse, so to speak. I go back for another blood test tomorrow morning, so I suppose I will know more then...but..I don't know, I am terrified the answer will be "Sorry, it was a false yes." I feel better just getting that off my chest but I apologize for the introduction - probably more than you all wanted to know right off the bat Pleasure to meet everybody on here!
#78 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 08:39 PM

CONGRATULATIONS LEEWOSS! : Best wishes for your beta tomorrow.

Oh Perdita, my heart sunk when I read your message. That is a very icky way to run the office, that such a thing might be possible every month. I am so sorry, after all your prep to have your easy month off etc. Can you still do all the things you wanted to do? I really want to tp someone's house over this.

Wtng, I'll have to look up all my drugs and get back to you. I have more but diff. docs do diff. protocols. Get back to ya. I'm jealous you get prog. supps. instead of the intramuscular shots in oil.

Thanks Sarah, Julia's Mom, Bellybean, Snowbell and Lucky!

BBean and Sarah, GOOD VIBES for u/s! :::

I am hanging in there. I've done 5 days of stims now! Tomorrow is more of the moment of truth u/s. I just hope those 20 follies have been growing and the estradiol is UP! I felt lots of pulsing sensation on the ovaries last night and couldn't fall asleep. Felt icky today, tired, but also not so hungry. So far, I'm not constipated and peeing regularly, like you all wanted to know. I am a bit short of breath, but that happened every time I used injectables. Back to breathing exercise. Overall, I'm doing pretty good. Yesterday, I got a warrior blast, just kicked in and I felt like I could do this no sweat. One day at a time though

#79 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 PM

Question: So I've done 5 days of Follistim 300iu and I'm not bloated at all. Should I be? Just wondering...

#80 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 10:02 PM

Poet: I've never got particularly bloated on the stims, at least not until right before retrieval - I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like otherwise you can feel things happening... and that's wonderful. Good luck tomorrow! Thanks for the tp suggestion - that is very tempting!

Leewoss: Congratulations!! Good luck tomorrow too!

wtg: I know nothing about those meds, so can't comment, but I'm guessing the doxycycline is an antibiotic? At my clinic we take ABs at retrieval to cut the risk of infection. I get mine intra-muscular during the retrieval prep because oral ABs tend to give me immediate and severe diarrhea - fun!! (They give it after the sedative, so actually, I never notice much LOL).

AFM: I'm feeling somewhat better this evening. DH and I sat down and did the math, and we think although it'll be tight date-wise in May, it'll be manageable. One slight wrench is that our other set of in-laws are coming for a visit mid-May. We were not planning on telling any of the parents about this cycle (we haven't for the past 2) but I'm not sure how to explain all the appointments I'm going to. But... in the end everything will unfold as it should. Has anyone ever heard anything about not going on a plane newly pregnant? I cannot imagine this would be a problem - it's a 90-minute flight, mid-day so as least stressful as possible, so I'm going to assume it's ok. We'll be staying right on the ocean, so THAT has to be good for the constitution!

Thinking of you all...

#81 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetgirl View Post
Question: So I've done 5 days of Follistim 300iu and I'm not bloated at all. Should I be? Just wondering...
I am not sure about this. It might be to soon.

This is for the IVF veterens here. We need you bellybean and abeecharmer to chime in!

#82 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 PM

wtng, dh and I took doxycycline for 10 days 2x a day. It's an antibiotic that gets rid of any possible infections that have been inhibiting conception. The Dr. told me it is very costly to run a test to actually see if either partner has the infection. So, instead they have patients take doxycycline for precaution.

Perdita, so I ran into the same issue of flying right after beta. Before my first beta, dh and I got an opportunity to fly to NYC (a long cross-country trip). Of course, I was worried that if I was pregnant it would not be a good idea to fly. I talked to the nurse quite a few times and she said it was absolutely fine to fly that early before an u/s confirmed a healthy pregnancy vs. ectopic. She said that she wouldn't really want me to fly at 6 weeks if we didn't know if it was ectopic because there could be a rupture on the plane (I believe in the fallopian tubes). BUT she said at 4 -5.5 weeks it would be fine because it would be too early for an ectopic to rupture. I guess if the flight is more around 6 weeks you could go in before the trip to look for the sac, which would let you know it wasn't ectopic. She said besides this one issue of ectopic pregnancies and flying, that flying is totally safe in pg until much later. It sounds like if you have the chance to go stay on the ocean, I'd take it!

poet, don't worry about not bloating. I hardly bloated with my IVF cycle even though I bloated A LOT with my injectable cycle. I kept waiting for the bloating to come but thankfully it never did! Keep us posted on the u/s tomorrow! Grow follies, grow!
#83 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 11:06 PM

Snowbell--great you chimed in, thanks for popping in to help us. These are the kind of questions that will be needing your help as we get closer to ER and ET . Thanks for explaining the doxycycline. They might be meant for me since there are only 6 capsules in the vial.

Poet--You are doing great this cycle. 20 possible follies. Yeah! Gl with the us and bw tomorrow. I am following you closely cause I will be right behind you soon. Its nice of CRM telling us not to get constipated.

Perdita-Its good to know that you can squeeze May in. Its these little bumps in the road that makes one go bonkers.

Leewoss-congrats on your pregnancy. You must be so happy. What was your protocol like. I am so interested in others protocols and see what they are doing.

#84 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 11:08 PM

Thank you, Snowbell, that was very helpful!

#85 of 875 Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 PM

perdita - i still think that's crappy, even if it was in the forms up front. here's hoping she is right about may!

leewoss - i dont think a blood test can show a false positive (only urine hpts). congrats on the recent success!

poet - good luck with the u/s tomorrow, hope things look perfect! grow, follies, grow!! i did gonal-f, not follistim, but i think they are basically the same thing. i didn't have any bloating at all. don't worry about the lack of bloating, consider yourself lucky!!

~sarah
#86 of 875 Old 03-12-2009, 03:56 AM

Perdita - Full?! That's a crappy way to run a practice! They must be in high demand in your area, so I guess that's a good sign. You're a bigger person than I for accepting it and moving on! I would have thrown a big old fit!

Wtg - I'm on Bravelle, Lupron and Ovidrel trigger shot. 45 vials sounds like plenty. When I stimmed the first time, it was for BD not IVF and I got 10 follies. So, I know Bravelle works for me. Its what I'm using again this time. I have some left from my last cancelled cycle so I dont know exactly how many vials I'll have - something around 30 I think. It's really an easy shot.

Poet - so glad you're feeling better! Somehow, I'm 180 degrees and feeling great, too! Moods?! I'm so excited to see how your stims go!

AFM - I got my schedule and I'll start Lupron on 3/17 and stop BCPs on 3/25. (Juliasmom - can you add this to our list) thanks.
#87 of 875 Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyIVF View Post
AFM - I got my schedule and I'll start Lupron on 3/17 and stop BCPs on 3/25. (Juliasmom - can you add this to our list) thanks.
I start on 3/19 - we're almost lined up! :

Laura , wife to Jeremy : since 7-23-06. MFI caused by a Robertsonian translocation; starting DIUI cycle #5, this time with injectables. Trying to hang in there.
#88 of 875 Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 AM

I am right behind you gals, March 24th for me. (Lupron/supression).

LuckyIVF--wow, this is very interesting we are both using Bravelle. It looks like we are using the same protocol. I have question, did you refrigerate the meds once they came in. The bottles say you can leave at room temp or refrigerate. Which is best you think?

poet--how did your scan go?

#89 of 875 Old 03-12-2009, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! It's been a busy/talkative day!

Perdita Ugh, that is so wrong! I'm so sorry it happened, although it is nice to know you will be in the most successful month. up:

Wtg You're meds sound fine. I also have doxycycline to take just after ER. I was told it's a precautionary measure against any possible infection from the retrieval.

Poet I also didn't get bloated until closer to ER and most seriously after the retrieval. Good luck at the u/s today!

Bellybean Good luck at your u/s today, too!

LuckyIVF I'll update you!

:

DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#90 of 875 Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 AM

Hey Everyone! Well back from u/s. It was okay and I'm going to stay positive. Of our 20 follies, 5 are above 8 mm, 6 are < or=8 and 6 are < or = 6.
2 good things. 1.) I always got an early dominant follicle during injectable cycles and that is not happening and was the suspected "reason" why that never worked. That this is progressing at the same rate and slower is good for me. 2.) Lining went from 4.1 to 9.8. Now I hope estradiol read comes back good. So I feel a bit less like a mother hen today (what DH was calling me) but the 8s could catch up and we'll probably end up with 5-10 eggs. Today will be day 6 of stims.

Some of you know this but my sister has dealt with IF too and she had 4 ivf attempts and never stimmed. The last time she had 2 follies and they even did an ER but they were empty, no eggs inside. So, I have to be very thankful for every follicle working hard for me. I have so much compassion for my dear body for trying so much. I will keep sending it and my follies the LOVE.

Thanks to you all for being supportive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page