Under 30 and starting clomid. Clomid/multiples advice welcome - Mothering Forums
Infertility > Under 30 and starting clomid. Clomid/multiples advice welcome
frecklesandcream's Avatar frecklesandcream 02:46 AM 04-19-2009
Hi ladies,

I'm a MDC regular (with a new username for privacy from IRL friends that know me on MDC - people are so judgmental! and I'm entering a new phase in ttc.

I'm 22y/o with a long history of 30 day cycles and clear ovulation signs. DH and I are working on #1 after losing our first at 8 weeks gestation 4 months ago. I had a D&C in December and didn't get a period for 12 weeks until I induced with Prometrium. I'm 6 weeks into the new cycle (since the induced period) and anovulatory and no sign of AF coming any time soon. For a variety of reasons, I'm in a hurry to conceive. Mainly, next fall I'll be starting a rigorous doctoral program that is unforgiving for time off and I want to have as much time at home with our baby as possible.

My doctor offered to induce another period and also offered me Clomid pending TSH results, since I'm not ovulating on my own. The Rx states 50mg for 5 days starting CD3. I'll be starting the prometrium this Tuesday and should get my period ~13 days later. (grrr, another delay!!)

So, according to my research, being <30y/o, post miscarriage, starting clomid CD3, and (normally) spontaneously ovulating all increase my risk of twins. Is this true? My husband is thrilled. Before we went in for the u/s that showed our first baby was gone, my husband was betting me money we'd find twins (poor guy, only one and it was gone...) so needless to say the word "Clomid" got him really excited. I haven't mentioned the other risk factors to him (I don't want to get his hopes up...). I'd be thrilled (albeit a little overwhelmed, I'd delay the start of grad school with twins, for sure) but I'm just wondering how "prepared" I should be.

Anyone else in my shoes? Everything I find for clomid is for people with PCOS and/or age 35+, and I'm neither, so I'm feeling a bit lonely.

Any general clomid (esp post miscarriage stuff) advice is very very welcome. Is there a "Clomid Thread?"

frecklesandcream's Avatar frecklesandcream 10:46 PM 04-20-2009
Anyone??
FtMPapa's Avatar FtMPapa 01:07 PM 04-21-2009
I'm not really sure what you're asking.

I took Clomid and didn't have twins - all I had was a boatload of cysts from the Clomid.

If you want to reduce the risk of twins, talk to your doc about taking Clomid days 5-9 (it's supposed to increase egg quality, whereas taking 3-7 is supposed to increase the number of eggs).

Good luck!
Julia'sMom's Avatar Julia'sMom 11:45 AM 04-22-2009
I was under 30 when I took clomid and conceived a singleton (only one follicle). There's another thread around that shows the risks of twins with clomid to be 10-15%, I think. The post-miscarriage increased risk may not count since you are using provera and inducing af and ovulation. I think the risk is increased when your body decides on it's own to ovulate. Also, you are young, which also decreases your risk of twins (as I understand it the older you are, the more likely).

I guess, that fact that you're considering may be enough preparation as I don't see the risks being very high. If your doctor is monitoring you, then you'll know how many follicles you have, which helps determine your risk. Good luck.
Lauren31's Avatar Lauren31 11:51 AM 04-22-2009
I think the risk for multiples is much higher with a trigger and IUI. Clomid does not increase the risk that much. There are other risks that go with clomid then just the risk of multiples and if you are fine with these risks then I say go for it.
byondvocals's Avatar byondvocals 01:19 AM 11-20-2010

Hello Ladies

I am 26 years old, and I have had such an irregular period. I get it every 6 months since I was 12. My doc, recommended Clomid for me 100Mg. I have not ovulated yet, I was told that days 5-10 after clomid would be when I should look for ovulation signs, Tomorrow would be day 5 after clomid. My husband and I have been doing the duty(SEX), everyday since the end of the clomid. Trying to keep it fun and exciting and keep our chances high. I was told by a HOST Of Women and fertility docs and nurses, that the more you have sex the better your chances to have a bundle.

So my plan...... Clomid + Sex everyday + No Saliva in the area or on the member + No washing after sex or douching + laying flat for about 10 mins, been doing it all. Maybe this will work, Its is my first cycle of Clomid,  I still have 5 more to go if this doesnt work. So I am not stressing! WOoooSAAA!

I have had absolutely no side effects on 100 MG of this stuff. So thats a good thing, i guess. I wish I had so I know that somethings happening.

I have been checking my cervical mucus daily, right now its creamy and wet like lotion, exactly like lotion. Not clear and stringy  and egg white. Actually I have never seen that stuff in me, so Maybe Clomid may show me some new cervical fluid I have not seen b4. I  will keep you guys posted on that too! I know this information is good information for somebody out there.

Also.. I read that Your husbands quality of sperm gets better the more you have sex, The amount gets less Tis True, but not that much less that you blow your chances of pregnancy. So Sex it up People, do it everyday I say, If this is realllly what you want! Just have at it! Do it on the day, before and days After. keep your chances high!!

:)

Dont Stress...

~Baby Dust to All of you ~

byondvocals's Avatar byondvocals 01:21 AM 11-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by frecklesandcream View Post

Hi ladies,

I'm a MDC regular (with a new username for privacy from IRL friends that know me on MDC - people are so judgmental! and I'm entering a new phase in ttc.

I'm 22y/o with a long history of 30 day cycles and clear ovulation signs. DH and I are working on #1 after losing our first at 8 weeks gestation 4 months ago. I had a D&C in December and didn't get a period for 12 weeks until I induced with Prometrium. I'm 6 weeks into the new cycle (since the induced period) and anovulatory and no sign of AF coming any time soon. For a variety of reasons, I'm in a hurry to conceive. Mainly, next fall I'll be starting a rigorous doctoral program that is unforgiving for time off and I want to have as much time at home with our baby as possible.

My doctor offered to induce another period and also offered me Clomid pending TSH results, since I'm not ovulating on my own. The Rx states 50mg for 5 days starting CD3. I'll be starting the prometrium this Tuesday and should get my period ~13 days later. (grrr, another delay!!)

So, according to my research, being <30y/o, post miscarriage, starting clomid CD3, and (normally) spontaneously ovulating all increase my risk of twins. Is this true? My husband is thrilled. Before we went in for the u/s that showed our first baby was gone, my husband was betting me money we'd find twins (poor guy, only one and it was gone...) so needless to say the word "Clomid" got him really excited. I haven't mentioned the other risk factors to him (I don't want to get his hopes up...). I'd be thrilled (albeit a little overwhelmed, I'd delay the start of grad school with twins, for sure) but I'm just wondering how "prepared" I should be.

Anyone else in my shoes? Everything I find for clomid is for people with PCOS and/or age 35+, and I'm neither, so I'm feeling a bit lonely.

Any general clomid (esp post miscarriage stuff) advice is very very welcome. Is there a "Clomid Thread?"

This is for you!  I am 26 years old. Just turned actually! This is my first cycle on clomid, I have not reached the time for ovulating yet, days 5 - 10 after clomid or whatever!  But It would be great to hear how its been working for you . Have you had a + yet!? or are you on something else by now?

Up