Summer IVF - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 427 Old 05-05-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am going to be cycling sometime this summer... june, july... but i am starting to get the pre-cycle excitement (and dread), so i thought i'd start a thread a see who else shows up.

this will be my 3rd fresh cycle, and i've got a complicated history. i am changing clinics and adding some new tricks to the goodie bag, so we'll see where that gets me! we are also considering going the FET route, but leaning toward fresh. we'll see. waiting on testing and passing all the hurdles to find out when i can start bcp's.

anyone else planning to cycle this summer? come join me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 427 Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 PM

Let me be the first to wish you all kinds of luck and : I am in the 2ww with a FET. I hope you get awesome cycle buddies!

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#3 of 427 Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

thanks crm...
right back atcha i've been quietly following the spring threads. *fingers crossed*

i am sure there will be more women cycling this summer... i am just chomping at the bit! we were on the fence about an FET, but i think now we've decided to do another fresh cycle while my body is cooperating, because my clock is ticking ever so loudly. i actually don't mind all the meds!
#4 of 427 Old 05-06-2009, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd like to join in. I also just started a monitoring cycle and all the prep to do an IVF sometime this summer probably in July or August.
I finally conceived my dd after years of treatments by doing IVF with ICSI and assisted hatching. We are going straight to the same thing this time around.
It's amazing how much I've forgotten. I think I deliberately purged everything about ttc from my brain.

mama to three little ladies
#5 of 427 Old 05-06-2009, 11:13 AM

Hi Girls, glad to have the company …

Soulshine…I hear you, waiting to start my third round as well and this time after a nice long break I am more excited than anything but of course there is dread as well! First dread is I can’t stand the BCP’s…eck…will start in a week or two when AF decides to make an appearance.
I have a few new tricks up my sleeve this time as well…switching to an antagonist protocol with shorter and milder suppression with hopes of making stronger embies. Am sticking with the same clinic because I love them but if this one doesn’t take I’ll have to go shopping at least for some piece of mind.

ILovemg…don’t worry we’ll get you back up to speed…I feel like an old pro these days!

Jasmine
#6 of 427 Old 05-06-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

hurray! company

jasmine,
i've done the antagonist 2 times now with very good results. i started with a long lupron in the beginning, but ovulated thru the lupron! so i was more than happy to try something new, and it seems to do the trick. i understand the logic behind the antagonist... high quality over quantity... i'll be a couple weeks behind you... cheering you on do you have a bad reaction to the bcp's?

ilovemygirl,
that is too funny about purging the ttc stuff from your brain! that's my plan... the other day my acupuncturist asked me to start charting my temps again. i charted for 2 years- perfect beautiful charts, just no bfp's ever. i had to stop charting because i was so *done* with it. when she asked me to drag out my bbt thermometer, i remembered i (happily) used it to take my dog's temp (not in her ear, if you know what i mean!). just the thought of charting again made me want to break into a sweat! but i think the ivf meds etc, i am still cool with doing them, and it seems like such a breeze by now- used to be so revved up about getting a shot, etc, but now its no big deal! anyway, i hope you have the same success you did to get your dd
#7 of 427 Old 05-06-2009, 03:21 PM

crazyrunningmama .. I hope it's a quick 2ww with a happy ending!

jasminewb .. GL with the new protocol. I'm not a fan of bcp's either. Sorry you have to take them.

soulshine .. I do remember that about the meds. I was so worried about the shots but by the second or third cycle I was so used to them I wouldn't even flinch.

I've been considering doing acupuncture. How do you like that? Is anyone doing anything else like vitamins, herbs, etc?

#8 of 427 Old 05-06-2009, 05:32 PM

Hello everyone,

My DH and I are planning on starting IVF this summer. We have 3 bio children and are unable to have any more without help. This has been a tough decision for us, but I really feel like we need to go forward with IVF. This is the month that I had all the blood testing done...FSH, LH, E2 on Day3 and Day 10, HSG(which was normal) and day 21 progesterone. We found out that DH has no sperm. So most likely we will do IVF with ICSI. I thought I'd join this group for support and because I really don't know what to expect.

Good luck to everyone.
#9 of 427 Old 05-06-2009, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

rememberjoy,
i agree, its good to have some online support when doing this stuff! i hope you have a really good experience with your cycle- you have proven fertility, and icsi is perfect for your situation. we used icsi on both of our cycles with good response. we don't have mf issues per se, but our dx is unexplained so we added it to be on the safe side. alot of the worst part doing ivf is fear of the unknown (in my opinion), so its great to have other people to sweat it out with!
#10 of 427 Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 PM

Thanks Soulshine.

I am excited to get started and be a part of this group.
#11 of 427 Old 05-06-2009, 11:29 PM

WOW, we are getting a summer crew going on now. GL all of you.

Soulshine I saw your post that you ovulated on lupron. You know I am on lupron and it looks like I am having alot issues going on with lupron. I've developed a functional cyst while on lupron and bcp. I think lupron is not strong enough for me. I am old cook in which its hard to turn off my LH.

Me 39 Dh 44 IVF #1 Failed--only 3 eggs retrieved out of 9 follicles. ET:1-4cell severe fragmentation. Planning for next cycle. VERY DEVASTATED
#12 of 427 Old 05-07-2009, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

wtg4miracle,
it may not be that the lupron is not strong enough for you, it may just be that its the wrong suppression for your individual body chemistry, you know? there are other suppressions, like antagon, that can do the trick without lupron. my r.e. told me that very few women don't respond to lupron, but there are that few, and i guess i was one of them! and it may have just been on that one cycle, but i don't really want to take the chance of getting cancelled again!
#13 of 427 Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 PM

Hey ladies,
Soulshine… my RE said the same thing about quality over quantity. I like that because at least it takes away some of the pressure to produce! I can’t stand the BCP’s…they make me nauseous at night. I am going to try taking them in the am this time…maybe with food?

Ilovemg..I am debating acupuncture this time. I didn’t do it on #1 and got the BFP but chemical. The 2nd time I did and BFN but I really liked it. This time I am concerned about the added expense but more importantly the acupuncturist my clinic recommends (and I love her…she has IVF twins and gets it) is an hour and half round trip commute for me, so with the appointment it’s a 3 hour project which sometimes means more stress, not less. I’m looking for someone good closer but no luck yet. I have also changed my eating habits pretty drastically over the past few months in a nutshell: adding fish and switching to almost all veg and beans instead of meat. I’m feeling pretty good! I also switched to a pre natal that comes with a mercury free fish oil pill. At this point I try not to get to caught up in diet because it tends to stress me out more..just trying to use common sense!

Rememberjoy…welcome and don’t worry, it’s not so bad and having people to cycle with always helps! A friend of mine had similar sperm situ and just got a strong HB on her IVF w/ICSI twins! I’ll be interested to see how you handle IVF with 3 kids. My sister is a mother of three so I know it is a lot of work!

I am considering ICSI this round and looks like some of you have and have not tried it. My RE seems to think it might better our chances and I have to decide by day 1 so SH and I are hashing it out now. RE says 75% of our issues last cycle were likely due to egg maturity and it can’t help that but if it is a sperm issue it may help the other 25%. I’m still on the fence because of the extra expense but am considering trying it on half the eggs to see which embryos look stronger…a bit ICSI and bit natural selection? I’m not even sure it’s an option but it sounds good! I’ll let you know what my doc thinks of my crazy plan!

Jasmine
#14 of 427 Old 05-08-2009, 08:38 AM

Quality over quantity is definitely important in my opinion. I'm definitely concerned about it again this time around.
I had 16 eggs retrieved and 13 made it to embryos with ICSI. Only 3 made it to day 3 for transfer, we lost all the rest. We implanted all 3 but it was really only one of them that looked well enough to make it and I got pregnant with one baby.
Three hours is a long time. I hope you find someone closer although it's always a shame to give up someone you really like. I have the same situtation but it's with my RE, he is about an hour away. I'm not looking forward to when I have to start going everyday for the IVF. Especially since I'm going to have to bring dd with me. She is not going to appreciate 2 hours in the car and sitting in the doctors office watching me get poked with needles and sonograms. I'm actually lucky that I can bring her though. I've heard that there are some offices that don't allow it.

Remember .. It seems like there is a great group of women here already. : I'm sure you'll learn a lot.

Crazyrunning ... when is your beta?

#15 of 427 Old 05-08-2009, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

jasmine,
i had dthe same situation with the acupuncture, the one i wanted to use was 1.5hr one way, which was not all so bad, but in the end its a half-day of travel/appt, so what i did was find a good local acupuncturist, told her the deal, asked her to give me general treatments focused on supporting my reproductive system/stagnant qi whatever, and i see her once a week. when it comes time to cycling, i have to travel/stay at a hotel anyway so i switch to the clinic's recommended acupuncturist for the retrieval/transfer appts, and then go back to my local one for weekly follow-ups. the one that was 1.5 hr away, i still see her once a month, and she prescribes herbs for me. i have found that if you just tell everyone what's going on, they will work together and try to support what you're doing the best they can- my local one was even open to a call from the clinic'c one to get specific treatment points. so it may be worth going that route, it has worked well for me.

ilovemygirl,
i went to a clinic that didn't have specific rules about children in the waiting room etc, but i hardly ever saw them there. i think they may have scheduled appt.s when they knew babies/children would be coming either really early in the am or later in the afternoon to try to avoid the overlap- it may not seem like a big deal, but to some women at the clinic who have not had any success, seeing children is difficult, even at an ivf clinic.

sometimes these days seem so long before i can get started... just days to tick off the calender until my next chance. its getting close now though! i fly out this weekend to sign consents.
#16 of 427 Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

jasmine,
meant to say that doing the 1/2 icsi 1/2 natural is definitely something people choose to do, and you can talk about doing it with your r.e. before retrieval. that way, if you have enough eggs to see so, you can tell the fertilization rate of the non-icsi'd ones v. the icsi's ones. icsi does not come without reservation... i found out after a previous pregnancy that icsi carries with it a slightly higher rate of genetic issues than non-icsi, i don't know if your r.e. has discussed that with you or not... usually the necessity and benefit outweighs the slightly higher risk, and most of the time everything is fine with it, but its something to know about anyway...
#17 of 427 Old 05-08-2009, 11:54 AM

Hi ladies, I hope it's okay that I chime in here. I am a grad from the February IVF forum.

Jaswb - My RE had DH do a hamster egg test (there is some complicated medical term). They basically see if his sperm can penetrate the egg shell. We still love joking about his "other children". Anyway, it cost about $400, but it saved us $2000 since we didn't need ICSI. But, even if we would have had to do the ICSI, it would have been nice knowing we really NEEDED to pay for it. There are definitely cases where they recommend ICSI, but it sounds like you might be borderline too.

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#18 of 427 Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 PM

Hello hello. I'm hoping to get everything organized for this summer, but if not, it will be nice to hang out and learn some stuff in readiness for the fall. But hopefully I won't have to wait that long and I'll be on the IVF train before the summer's through!

We're trying for our first. DP is biologically female (a transgender guy) and I'll be carrying his eggs. He's donating half to an unknown recipient and the other half to me. We're planning to do a fresh blastocyst transfer. The clinic replaces 2 embryos as standard practice.

Right now we've done all the blood tests and filled out about a mountain and a half of paperwork. We're waiting to get the blood results transferred over to the clinic and for them to start matching us up with a sperm donor and egg recipient. It could take 1-4 months for the matching to happen.

I know my situation's probably a bit different than other people's here, but I hope it's ok to join in anyways!

Bicycle-ridin', craftin', bloggin' feminist future mama to my starbabies dum spiro spero
#19 of 427 Old 05-08-2009, 03:47 PM

: I will be cycling again in Aug/Sept depending on when AF comes. I will be out of the country July 1-Aug 6, so if it comes Aug 1, I am out of luck until the next mth. Anyhow, reading along with y'all for now.

We are trying a new protocol after last IVF only gave us 2 mature eggs of 9 retrieved. (We did a long prot. Lupron/Follistim cycle) We will be using Ganirelix and Gonal-F with a short prot. and I am really hoping for QUALITY!
To prepare, I am taking 75 mg of DHEA from now til then and Chinese herbs as well. I just started reading "Conquering Infertility" by Alice Domar and am really enjoying it so far.
I also use: royal jelly, CoQ10, L-arginine, Chlorella, fish oil. But I have done those things for a long time.

To the health and success of all!

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#20 of 427 Old 05-08-2009, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

poet,
good to know you'll be lurking around my transfer will probably be in september... if everything goes alright... its so hard to plan! i like that there is some time inbetween then and now that you can play with to have all the supplements do their magic, and the away time sounds so good!

knittinanny,
so, 'eggs' meaning eggs, or embryos? is dp donating his eggs to another woman/couple, or the embryos once they are made, into a surrogate type situation for the two of you? i think it is exciting to have both of you so involved in the process! i really hope the matching goes fast and you can get things rolling soon... i am such an impatient person, the waiting around kills me! with ivf, there are so many options and combinations possible, i look forward to hearing how your particular journey unfolds
#21 of 427 Old 05-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Whew…so much happens in a few days around here!

Kittinanni, Welcome and hope you can cycle with us this summer if you have to wait at least you will learn a lot here!

Poet, looks like we are on a similar track as I am just starting the short suppression cycle too! I had 20 eggs (!) last time but very few mature. My RE is also giving me the HCG trigger one hour later this time..hopefully that will help. I love Alice Domars book…one of the few that actually gave real practical steps to employing mind body techniques. I am a huge fan of her “mini’s” and use them many times in any given day. I live hear her center and wish I could go but it is pretty pricey. I’m also fish oil and acupuncture but haven’t tried any herbs yet…a little skittish about it.

AFM, Thanks for all the ICSI advice from everyone…still on the fence but really appreciate the input! Only time will tell for me. Here’s a question, anyone jog or run? I started running this winter as a project during my IVF break and have my first 5k race on Saturday. My RE says its fine to continue with whatever exercise feels comfortable during stimming and then no heavy aerobic activity during the TWW so I’m just wondering if anyone else jogs while TTC or cycling? Let me add I run very slowly! Usually 2 miles in 27-30 minutes..some people walk that fast! I really think keeping up with it will benefit me by reducing stress and helping me stay positive but I also feel like I might regret it if this cycle is negative.
There are two sides to everything in this process I guess!

Jasmine
#22 of 427 Old 05-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Howdy. Well, it looks like I may be joining you here after all. I just got a BFN on my third FET in a row, and while we do have 2 embryos frozen still, I am leaning towards another fresh IVF cycle (many factors).

Anyway, regarding running - I was running and exercising regularly leading up to my first IVF cycle 3 years ago. I didn't really cut back on things early enough and too much activity can apparently increase your odds of ending up with OHSS, which I was told I was at risk for. If we cycle again, I will try to exercise regularly up until I start stims, then cut back to strolling types of walks.

And I have been hanging around this board for TOO LONG because I have given this advice sooooo many times (and every time at least one person says "I didnt' think it would happen to me, but it did".) So here goes:

Don't let yourself get constipated.

The meds, the lack of activity, the huge ovaries, etc. can all lead to nasty horrible constipation, which is a Very Bad Thing to be dealing with when you go for ER and ET. Even the bcp's start it for me, so be on top of it, eat piles of steamed veggies, prune juice, stool softeners if you have to. I never ever had issues with this until I started IF treatments, and then, wow, I cannot even tell you how bad it can get. Okay, end TMI.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#23 of 427 Old 05-13-2009, 09:06 PM

Crazyrm, I'm so sorry about the FET, my heart breaks every time one of us gets bad news. Hopefully the fresh cycle will be what you need. Can you start right away? More power to you and welcome on the Summer bus.

I love the fiber advice…soooo true. And me to on the fact that it started with the IF! All Bran makes a great fiber cracker that I am into…hoping it helps in that department. I am going to try to go the route you mentioned with exercise but I always get so stagnant toward the end of stims/ret/trans..I’m sure I will feel better if I keep moving so I will at least try to keep up with walking…I’m guess I wont want to run anyway.

Sorry again, hope you’re hanging in.
Jasmine
#24 of 427 Old 05-14-2009, 11:24 PM

I'm starting on Lupron on Sunday, expecting to do my first IVF cycle mid-June. It's been a hard road - miscarriage, failed adoption, three IUIs - so I figure my luck's due to change. :-) I'll be interested to hear how everyone does!
#25 of 427 Old 05-16-2009, 08:13 PM

I am doing my stims this week. Started accupuncture last week. I am really enjoying the sessions. She is so intuitive. And loaned me the book Infertility Cure. My diet and mental attitude has improved considerably. I also have pcos and will turn 40 this year.

This will be our 2nd ivf with the first resulting in my 2.5 miracle boy.
#26 of 427 Old 05-18-2009, 09:27 AM

DH and I have an appointment with our RE on Wed to discuss all of our test results. I hope we can get started very soon. I'll let you know how it goes.
#27 of 427 Old 05-19-2009, 10:39 AM

Hi Guys,

Hisaberg, best of luck to us both and I'm sorry for your losses it must've been really difficult. I am waiting for my nurse to call with my instructions. It is a new protocol so no lupron this time. Hopefully we can stim together...makes it easier.

Happily, nice to have you on board.

Remember, gl on wed. I hope you get good news.

Sorry no past for awhile but there was nada to tell until today when I finally got AF and can get this cycle started! More soon,

Jasmine
#28 of 427 Old 05-21-2009, 03:57 PM

Well DH and I met with the RE yesterday. The results for me were fine (as we expected) DH's SA showed no sperm which we also knew from another dr visit. Dh has a referral on June 4th with a urologist who specializes in male infertility and will discuss testicular biopsy to retrieve his sperm. The RE said we should have donor sperm for back up, but we don't want to do that. She said if we didn't want donor sperm them dh would have to have the biposy/sperm retrieval done twice, in advance to freeze sperm and the day of egg retrieval. They prefer to use fresh sperm and they don't want to chance there not being any sperm on the day of egg retrieval. I feel bad for dh having to go through the procedure twice. Anyone else had experience with this? We kinda want to just take our chances and only do the bx once on the day of egg retrieval.

We will be able to get into the July cycle. Which is great. We will start on June 30. We will be doing IVF with ICSI. We are very excited and pray that everything will go well.
#29 of 427 Old 05-21-2009, 06:04 PM

Hi - lurking on here as I'm on active on the Spring thread.

My DH had a TESA procedure done in 2004 after a diagnosis of Congential Bilateral Absence of Vas Deferens. His sperm were frozen at that time - we got 8 vials I believe. We used frozen sperm for our first cycle in 2004, and had our perfect DD in 2005. We've had 3 cycles since (just had ER today!) all with the same sperm - I think we just used the last of it today. Neither of the two middle cycles were successful - but nothing to do with sperm - the eggs fertilized with a great success rate for ICSI. Let's hope that the third try is the charm...

Personally, I think frozen sperm is the way to go, but I'm not an RE! DH suffered quite a bit during his TESA and I wouldn't want us both to be down for the count on retrieval day (and selfishly - it took him several days to get back on his feet and I wouldn't want to be looking after HIM around ER/ET time!). But fresh sperm was never really presented as an option to us for any of our rounds. Funny how clinics differ!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#30 of 427 Old 05-22-2009, 09:35 AM

Perdita - thanks for sharing. Good luck with this round. I hope everything works out perfectly for you.

I guess the urologist will be better able to advise us about fresh vs. frozen sperm. Dh had a vasectomy about 3 years ago and then a reversal about 2 years ago. Initially he had sperm on SA, but poor quality and low numbers. Now with nothing on SA we know that both vas deferens have closed off. He had difficulties with the vasectomy and the reversal...excessive bleeding, swelling, etc. that required several trips back to the urologist for draining, etc. Needless to say he is hesitant for any more procedures "down there". What a trooper. I am so lucky he has done all of that for our family. So hopefully he will only have to do the procedure once. It would be nice to have plenty of sperm to use in the future if needed.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page