Anyone have Kaiser (HMO) and experience with their Infertility/RE Clinics? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-10-2004, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

I'm new and have a burning question. Quick intro...I'm 30, TTC#3, married, sahm, yadda yadda. I live in Northern CA and am trying to get the ball rolling to see an RE and get my hormone levels, etc. checked.

I have Kaiser, though, and I've heard horror stories about them taking over 6 months to get people in, among other things.

I called the clinic and got only a recording, which told me that to "apply" to be seen I would have to leave a message and receive an application in the mail. The recording also stated that due to extremely high patient volume, they only retrieve the messages every few days but will "try" to get the forms out in a timely way.

This makes me nervous...I've already been waiting so long and have some ideas about what my problem might be. I'm kicking myself for not changing insurance back during open enrollment. At this point, I'm stuck with Kaiser till next January. I live in an area where most doctors are no longer accepting patients with the other HMOs available to me, so Kaiser seemed like the best bet since at least we can get in when we need to, etc. I'm wondering now.

Any input or experiences with Kaiser (good or bad!) for fertility issues would be greatly appreciated!!

Shellie
Declutter - 789/2010 (counting the stuff on my porch waiting for a Freecycler to pick it up! )
#2 of 3 Old 02-06-2004, 07:44 PM

i concieved dd with the help of the kaiser re department in denver. i was told i had to get a referrel from my gynecologist, which turned out that i had to walk down the hall and tell the re i needed an appointment. :
the doc and the staff were fantastic. i've been burned by kaiser before (namely an incident when a doctor nearly killed me with an incorrect diagnosis and incorrect doseage of a drug), so i was really worried. any message i left was answered promptly. i was treated with respect (i was 23 when i started seeing them, which a lot of people consider too young to be seeking infertility treatment). they ran every blood test on me immediatly. i was given clear answers and explanations for every question i asked and every treatment they reccomended. they humored me when i panicked (i started bleeding at 5w5d and got no help at the er; the next morning, the re got me in for an emergancy u/s to make sure everything was okay). when i was transferred to the ob/gyn for regular prenatal, when we showed them the beautiful 9w u/s we recieved, they were genuinely excited to see it.
the re was my best experience with kaiser ever. i hope things go as well for you. good luck!
#3 of 3 Old 03-01-2004, 10:53 PM

I'm also in Northen CA, and a close friend had Kaiser as her infertility group. She had IVF 3 times, and is now mother to twin girls. She seemed very happy with the care she was getting, and I believe she got it in a timely manner.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page