Would you wean at 12 months for infertility treatment? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you wean your 12mo. old if required for fertility treatments?
Yes, I would wean 29 39.73%
No, I wouldn't wean 42 57.53%
Other (? 2 2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2009, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My IVF baby was born 2/11 and I'm hoping to do a FET with my three snowflakes (embryos) next spring/summer. My RE requires that I wean first (although my research says it isn't completely necessary). Would you do it? If you did/didn't in a similar circumstance, do you regret it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 10:13 AM

No, I probably would not. Unless I was over the age of 40.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
Old 05-24-2009, 12:17 AM

I am 38 and had DD via IVF and ICSI. She is now 30mos. We tried two FETs when DD was 25 mos, both negative. The doc gave us a 40 per cent chance w/the FETs. It just didn't work, and I am so glad I didn't wean to do it. We aren't doing IVF again, it's just too hard on my body.

Good luck.

Crunchy mama to my beans (11/06 and 6/04): and with DH since '02. Expected a May flower and got a June bug!
Old 05-24-2009, 03:13 PM

Nope, been there and didn't. I tried two rounds of IVF while DD was nursing (in her third year -not nursing that much) and both failed. For me, an extended nursing relationship was more of a priority than conceiving at that point. This year, however, I did nudge DD towards weaning (at 3.5) because my priorities had shifted. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 AM

I weaned at 19 months. It actually was a CLW and the main reason was to start treatments.

My RE said I did not have to wean unless I had a high prolactin level. I will turn 40 this year, so I think I had the best of all worlds for DS and myself

I hope you make a decision that will benefit your family long term, whichever it may be.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:27 AM

No. We waited. Everything I read about meds was controversial, and it is less likely to conceive while nursing and we wanted the best possible chance, we decided to focus on our baby that we had waited so long for. Good luck with this decision...
Old 05-26-2009, 11:40 AM
ell

I think it's either/or. You either breastfeed or you do the FET. Any drugs you might be taking would end up in the breast milk so that's not cool, and breastfeeding might impact the success of the treatment and if you're doing it, you might as well give yourself the best chance of success, KWIM? So my answer is yes, if you're doing the FET you should wean first. If you don't want to wean then put it off.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for all the votes and replies! Kind of deadlocked, huh?

I guess where I am at is:

I won't do FET while nursing because of a)drugs in my bm b)lowered success of FET and c)my RE says no nursing and I'm not willing to lie.

I feel compelled to do the FET in the next two years because a)FET success decreases with length of cryopreservation b)if our FET is unsuccessful we want to adopt and c) I'm approaching 35 (which IMO is as bad as 40 for fertility)

So I guess my question is how damaging is it to dd to wean at 1 year old. I never researched it because I just planned CLW as a matter of course. I know that extended nursing is awesome but is it so valuable that it off sets the benefits of a sibling? Is it so awesome that not doing so is cheating dd out of something in the way that (IMO) not nursing at all would have done?

Just thinking out loud. Any thoughts?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:07 PM

Approaching 35 is not old at all! I think you have plenty of time to nurse until 2 and then do a FET. Don't forget that your embryos came from when you were "younger". And I would highly doubt that one year will make that much of a difference in your success rates. 5 years, maybe, but 1, probably not.

All that said, if you want to wean, then you should.

But I will say this, having nursing as a tool for the 18 month age range is priceless!! Much less prone to tantrums and more easily calmed.

And about the benefits of a sibling, I do understand how you feel. But when I made this choice, I really thought about how I needed to focus on the child that I had now. I tried for so long to get my son and I didn't know if I was going to be able to do it again, so I am glad that I kept nursing.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
Old 05-27-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeC View Post
I won't do FET while nursing because of a)drugs in my bm
What drugs?

I don't know everything about IVF. I do know it would have been my next step had our last cycle on IUI failed... and I read up on it ... and went to some seminars...

Basically - the risks of birth defects etc go up with age. That's not an issue with frozen embryos because they are from when you were younger. Yay!

So...

The drugs they use for IVF with the except of Lupron are more or less natural. Naturally occurring, just maybe not at those doses, or at those times... I personally would not be nervous exposing a baby to those drugs - LH, FSH...

i DON'T KNOW how your doctor handles FET. Some have you stim and trigger so it's like your body expects a baby... I would be OK with this, personally. STarting with a natural period, if you have one, or inducing, if not. Now if you induce with provera - maybe you feel risky with that. Prometrium, no problem. BCPs - I would be OK with that, I have nursed while on BCPs. (I personally would probably be fine with provera, too, as the risk is very low... but prometrium would give me absolutely not even reason to question, if that makes sense...)

I would not be OK with lupron.

If you're having normal cycles by then - and some women do, despite an infertility past! - you might not even need to stim!

Basically - I think you could arrange for transfer, with no risk to your nursling.

There is no risks to the embryo from your nursing as it's already conceived (nursing can lower egg quality).

There's no risk to the pregnancy from nursing because an RE would have you on progesterone and possibly estrogen as well anyway.

Basically - I'd think the need to wean for a FET just isn't there.

For a fresh cycle or injectables... there's more reason to think it would help. But not for an FET.

I wouldn't wean.

I would see if you are cycling in a year... and then maybe see that as a sign your body could handle a pregnancy... and go from there.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 05-28-2009, 01:36 AM

At 12 months, no. At 22 1/2 months, yes - I did wean, specifically to do another IVF cycle. I am a bit older than you, and I had the same concerns. I decided that I couldn't wean any earlier and I don't regret nursing for as long as we did. Ideally, we could have nursed for almost 2 years, then immediately had a successful IVF and she would have had a sibling by now. Worst case scenario (for me) would have been to wean early and then have failed cycles and no sibling = lose/lose. We are still trying for #2 and I totally do not regret nursing as long as we did.

You could ask if you are a candidate to do a "natural" cycle with no meds. My understanding is that they just monitor you and then replace the embryos when you are at the right place in your cycle. I have no idea of the success rates of that vs medicated FETs though

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
Old 05-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Well...I planned on weaning dd. We didn't start looking at treatment until she was around 18 months (I would definately do nothing before then). At that time I started the weaning process. Nightweaning was pretty easy and losing a lot of the daytime nursings wasn't too bad. Now, the sessions before going to bed and nap were hell. I discovered that I sucked at weaning : so she is still nursing before nap and bed at almost 3 years old. During that time I went thru 2 ivf & 1 iui cycle. Both ivf's were successful. I researched the drugs thouroughly and was comfortable with them and an older nursling. Some have risks, I remember the steroid to help with implantation can affect bone density or something, but was reassured by the lactation consultant that there would be no effect with the amount of nursing I was doing and taking the drug for such a short period. Oh, and even though the drugs are "safe", there is a high chance they will decrease or eliminate your supply. Luckily, it didn't happen to me, but it's a risk you take.

So...I wouldn't at 12 months, but would likely later, especially if the child was not high needs. Most importantly, check your prolactin level. If it has already decreased significantly and you have gotten your periods back, you may be ok to try.

And yes, I'm still trying to wean. Darn stubbon kid.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
Old 05-28-2009, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No, i would not wean just to try and get pregnant

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 06-02-2009, 07:10 PM

Hi.

I just did an FET (as in, my embryo transfer was yesterday) and I am still breastfeeding. I was able to do a natural cycle, so the only drugs involved were an HCG shot to trigger release of my egg at a specific time, and daily progesterone suppositories until the pregnancy test.

BTW, the ds I am nursing is down to 1-2 sessions a day. He is 2 years, 4 months.

For anyone facing this situation, I would really look into a natural cycle. The success rates are generally comparable.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:10 AM

At your age and history, no, I wouldn't. I'd wait until 2 years-ish.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
Old 06-03-2009, 11:42 AM

I would and I did - began weaning at 12 mos and was completed by 13 mos. It took another 6 weeks to get my cycles back. We are finally starting FET this month now that my cycles seem regular. Everyone is different - if it's the right thing for you, I say pat yourself on the back for BFing 12 mos and do what will make you happiest. A happy mama makes a happy family.

Best of luck!

Gina, wife to DH, mama to my heart breaker Cecelia (10/13/07) and
welcoming our new baby boy Henry (03/08/10)
Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM

I weaned at 13 months and am now preparing for an FET later on this month (DS is 15 months old). I was personally very happy and fulfilled with a year of nursing. I had to return to work several months ago and struggled very hard with pumping and keeping up my supply so reaching a little over a year was a great accomplishment for me.

I am looking forward to my FET and wouldnt want to be nursing while doing it. Wouldnt want to decrease my chances of success in any way or expose DS to any additional drugs/hormones.

Wish you all the best!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:22 AM

I was in a different situation -- older, and multiple diagnoses -- and needed to do another fresh cycle -- BUT: I decided not to wean at a year, kept going to 22 months, and, in hindsight, I ended up really risking not being able to have another kid.

Yes, nursing another (almost) year was wonderful. But my response to stims had plummeted by the time I cycled again, even though I wasn't that old, and my FSH levels were unchanged.

It is possible for response to change really drastically, and without warning. Between 34 and 38 I went from sorta-lousy-response (5-8 mature eggs per cycle) to truly dreadful (3 mature eggs, then looked like 2, so we canceled, and then 7, but on a seriously end-of-the-line protocol -- and at an end-of-the-line clinic; most places would have told me not to try again after the cancellation). It's worked out in the end, but there was no real reason to expect that it would.

Academic mama to Miss T. (09/05) and Miss V. (05/09).
Oh, and (hence )
Old 06-11-2009, 02:29 AM

That first 2 years of nursing is to important to wean to try and have another child. Full nutrition via bm is to precious to give up.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 06-12-2009, 01:00 AM

I didn't wean and did IVF but ds was much older. We did a fresh cycle when he was just over 3. I did wean him the day of the transfer but only because I was afraid to m/c if I did get pg (I did get pg) and my nips were soo sensitive. I felt that the meds weren't going to be a problem after researching and d/t the fact that he wasn't nursing more than 2x a day anyway.

You won't be on much as far as meds go, just PIO and maybe bcps right? I understand the urgancy, I was 36 at time of transfer. I do think that nursing helped preserve what little fertility I had because I had the best cycle ever out of 4 total fresh cycles. It's an agonizing decision, that's why we waited so long after ds to go again, I just couldn't wean earlier than I did. For us, 1 was just way too early to wean for a maybe baby. Good luck to you, it sounds as if you made your decision already and it's what I did too fwiw.

Enjoy your little nursling

Dena
Old 06-16-2009, 07:16 AM

No, I would not wean. Last year when my fertility doctor told me to wean I decided to wait. Even though I am over 40.

And being 35 is not an issue I don't think being 40 is an issue either if you are using snoflakes from when you are younger.

My dd being able to nurse as long as she needed was more important than the possibility of another child. Even though I really want another child it just seemed more important to meet her needs first. For me I thought I would be really a shame to wean and then not get pregnant anyway. Having a nursing relationship with your 2 year old is really worth it's weight in gold. It solves so many problems and prevents so many more it's amazing.

Good luck and as the other poster said enjoy your nursling.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif

User Tag List