Should I have someone drive me to my HSG? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going in to have the HSG done in a few weeks.... The hospital where it's being done is close to 2 hours away from my home, and DH can't get the time off from work within the next few weeks. I could ask a friend/one of my parents to bring me, so it's not like I would have no other way of getting there- just not as simple as asking DH, kwim? I've heard mixed things on people's experiences and amounts of pain involved with the procedure...

Based off of you gals who have had it done. If you had to do it again, would you drive yourself to/from the procedure that far or would you have someone bring you?

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#2 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 AM

mine was relatively easy. there was some cramping invovled in the actual procedure, but i felt fine almost immediately afterwards (once all the dye drained out). my dp drove me, but i dont think it was necessary in hindsight (other than having the moral support/hand-holding during the procedure, which was nice). we went out to lunch straight from the clinic and then i went back to work that afternoon.

good luck!

~sarah
#3 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 10:15 AM

I took some advil an hour before and I was fine. Though when I got there the nurse was all, "you came by yourself! oh no, you have to have someone with you!!!" They wouldn't start until I promised I'd call a car to pick me up if needed.

It was fine. When it was done I was like, "that's it? you freaked me out for that?"

And I had to drive home in Chicago traffic - about 90 minutes. A little crampy - very similar to a bad period. Bring a pad and regular undies. I forgot and had a thong on. DOH!
#4 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 01:31 PM

I've had two. For the first I was alone, the second dh came with me. I was glad to have him. It can be quite painful and it is very invasive, so I felt a bit emotional, kwim? Good luck with it.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#5 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 02:20 PM

For me, yes, I needed someone there. It was painful, and I needed that emotional support. I was kind of out of it the rest of the day, so it was very helpful for DH to drive me home. I don't think my experience is the norm, though, but it's better to be safe than sorry, imo.

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#6 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 PM

i had zero problems, zero cramping. no need to have anyone drive me home - i went back to work right after and had no issues.

most places will tell you to take 4 tylenol about an hour before you go - i did, but don't even think i would have needed to do it.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#7 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 03:57 PM

Yes, I would.

Mine was very painful, very traumatic, and just made me feel so alone.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#8 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 10:14 PM

I think it really depends.

I went by myself and it wasn't an issue. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. A little cramping that lasted about 10 minutes and that was it.

2twins.gif Twin Girls on November 11, 2010
#9 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 11:11 PM

Mine was awful, but mostly, I think, because I laid for 45 minutes on the table with the dye. My regular OB did it, not an RE, and I don't think he had much experience. I almost fainted and vomited when it was over. Even through all that, I was able to drive myself home - only about 5 minutes away, though.
If you don't have a driver, just make sure you're feeling good before you leave - take your time recovering.

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#10 of 21 Old 07-30-2009, 08:36 AM

I just had the HSG a couple of weeks ago and I was fine, but you might feel better if you had someone to drive you, just so you don't need to worry about it.

My DH was at home with DS that morning and was going to come get me if I needed/wanted him to. The appt was about 30 mins away but most of the way I was taking the train and then driving a few mins. I felt really crampy when I left (though during the procedure itself I felt fine) so I took a bus to the train station rather than walking the ten minutes to get there. At the station I bought a tea, sat down and read a book and by the time I got on the train (around 15 minutes later) I felt fine. I did take 2 extra strength tylenol about one hour before the hsg.

If you decide to go alone, I would see if there is a place nearby you could go to have a refreshment of some sort and just take it easy for a bit until you feel ready for the drive home. It does seem that most women feel fine within an hour after the procedure so I do think you'd be fine if you went alone, it just depends on how much stress/worry it would cause you.
#11 of 21 Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 PM

I drove myself. It was incredibly painful for a minute or so, but I was completely fine when it was over.

mom to DD 3/09
#12 of 21 Old 07-30-2009, 09:27 PM

Thanks for this thread. I just happened to be lurking over here, but I have an HSG scheduled for tomorrow and was wondering the very same thing!

Happily muddled mom to baby Kiki, 11/2010

#13 of 21 Old 07-30-2009, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynyota View Post
Thanks for this thread. I just happened to be lurking over here, but I have an HSG scheduled for tomorrow and was wondering the very same thing!
Good luck! Mine will either be Thursday or Friday next week.

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#14 of 21 Old 07-31-2009, 07:28 PM

I just got back from my HSG, so here's my take:

Overall, it wasn't too bad, and I was certainly OK to drive home almost immediately.
The procedure itself took less than 10 minutes. For about 1 minute I felt pretty sharp cramps, which were worse than my usual menstrual cramps, but the rest of the time was only very slightly uncomfortable. I had taken 700mg of Advil about 45 minutes earlier.
And watching the dye fill in my uterus and tubes was fascinating! (According to the radiologist, everything looked normal.)

I brought a pad with me, although they gave me a panty liner at the office too. The pad seemed to make more sense.

So, pretty quick and (mostly) painless! Good luck!!

Happily muddled mom to baby Kiki, 11/2010

#15 of 21 Old 07-31-2009, 08:24 PM

i was glad dh was there to hold my hand on the way out and drive home. i'm a wuss but mine was VERY painful and I agree w/some of the OPs that it was invasive and i felt alone and vulnerable in a room full of medical people i had never met (and my OB). wasn't a good day for me, despite the findings of no issues. good luck!

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#16 of 21 Old 07-31-2009, 11:56 PM

I had really, really bad cramps starting about the time we got back in the car, so I'm really glad I had a friend go with me. I wish I had taken 2 advil before the HSG, which I have seen recommended in various places. Also, if you can lie still for a few minutes after, it might help. I hope this doesn't scare you, because as you can see, some people had no problems at all. For me, it didn't hurt while it was going on. Just after.

Aside from possibly being in a bit of pain, it is helpful to have someone with you to help you remember stuff if you have a lot of information thrown at you.

Wife to rockin' SAHD DH (34) and mom to DD :, born Nov. 07 (from IUI #4); 09/09; anxious to TTC again soon
#17 of 21 Old 08-01-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furrow View Post
I had really, really bad cramps starting about the time we got back in the car, so I'm really glad I had a friend go with me. I wish I had taken 2 advil before the HSG, which I have seen recommended in various places. Also, if you can lie still for a few minutes after, it might help. I hope this doesn't scare you, because as you can see, some people had no problems at all. For me, it didn't hurt while it was going on. Just after.

Aside from possibly being in a bit of pain, it is helpful to have someone with you to help you remember stuff if you have a lot of information thrown at you.
No, it dosen't scare me. I'm the kind of person who wants to know exactly what to expect out of a procedure right down to what kind of pain/sensations to expect because it helps me feel more prepared and in control of the situation.

#18 of 21 Old 12-09-2009, 09:16 PM

I just had a HSG today and my fertility clinic prescribed me 2 pain killers to take (2 hours before the procedure) and it still hurt like heck (only for about a minute though). My DH drove me to the appt cuz it is 1.5 hrs away but I would have been fine to drive home.
#19 of 21 Old 12-12-2009, 07:33 AM

apart from the actual pain (when I had mine it was almost no pain, but you don`t know `til you try it, right?) - if they find your tubes are blocked, or some other problem, will you be in okay shape to drive home? I know I would not. Although, to be honese, I had to start having dh drive me to appointments after the first `you are infertile` appointment with my gyn because the whole process always left me feeling so drained and alone and apt to break down crying that getting myself home was veeeery difficult.

good luck either way!

Sara, mama to a 3 yo dd since 2008 :
#20 of 21 Old 12-14-2009, 04:00 PM

I had one done in September on my remaining tube (lost one to an ectopic a year ago). It was uncomfortable, not painful, but my one tube was open (I heard that if they are blocked and if they try to unblock them with more dye that it is more painful). I probably would have been ok to drive home afterwards, but I had DH drive me anyway. If the results would have been upsetting I would have needed him to drive for sure.
#21 of 21 Old 12-17-2009, 07:38 AM

Jelinifer I have experience of HSG and my advise to you pls take some with you when you go for this test. Because some time we see that its become very painful and we need 4-5 hours to become normal. I got fever after HSG. It will be very good to have company in hospital.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page