HSG test and ovulation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, just hopping over from the TTC forum to see if any of you have had experience with my situation. I am scheduled to have an HSG test next week, on what will be day 14. For the past few months I have ovulated on day 15. That seems to be cutting it close to me. Initially when I called to schedule the apt they said they do it days 9-12, but they took forever calling me back and here we are. Assuming they can't get me in before that, I am almost inclined to reschedule it for NEXT month so I don't mess with my precious window here. But maybe on has nothing to do with the other?

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#2 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Replying to my own thread! (W/more info). I should add that this cycle was going to be sort of a fun one as DH is on vacation all week, so that's why I don't want to mess up this month.
Also, I am wondering what sorts of issues can be identified through this procedure and whether it is even worth doing where I have two kids who I conceived w/out a problem (for some reason, perhaps my age - 34 - it is taking a lot longer this time. YES I did ask my doctor this question but she was not super-helpful - I think that this is the infertility workup track.

#3 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Hi SunflowerMama!

I had a HSG on day 6 of my cycle. They said they'd rather do it a good week or so before ovulation. I don't know if that's because of the dye or because of the antibiotics I had to take to prevent infection.

I was also a little sore after the HSG and didn't really feel like getting into hot and heavy BD action. With your hubby being on vacation, I think I'd rather wait til next cycle but that's just me! Good luck with whatever you decide! :
#4 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 06:27 PM

Huh. My understanding is that an HSG (which I have had done) is to confirm correct anatomy. Unless you have had a major accident I would think that your anatomy has been proven to be just fine. I think I would be leary to do the procedure without a direct, convincing explanation of why it is necessary at this time. You might suggest to your doctor that you are open to an HSG if say treatment for the next 3-6 cycles doesn't work (unless of course he/she has a specific and good reason to do one now...).

If you don't want to lose your window I certainly wouldn't do it now. I think you are supposed to abstain for a few days following the procedure.

Good luck!
Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#5 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 PM

I'm in the middle of coordinating my HSG. My OB said to schedule for day 7-10after the first day of my period. She said to astain until the HSG. The 7-10 day timing is so that the body has time to pass the contrast which may block the tubes. This most likely assumes that you ovulate on day 14.

I am doing it because there is no other explanation and it increases chances of conception as an HSG can "flush out" mucous or other blockages.

Good luck!
#6 of 11 Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 PM

I was told that they wanted to be sure they didn't interfere with a fertilized egg that hadn't implanted yet.

I think I would just reschedule.

me, 28 & dh, 32.
#7 of 11 Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I finally got the doc who will be performing the test to call me directly (!) and she agreed that day 14 was too late since we are TTC. So she will do it next cycle much earlier on. Who knows - maybe I won't even need it

#8 of 11 Old 08-20-2009, 04:32 PM

I didn't think of that, i am starting a clomid cycle this week and next week have the dye test. If i want the best chance to concieve maybe this cycle--taking the test is probably not agood idea.
you think
#9 of 11 Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 PM

I am in UK so maybe here they do it diffrent,
i was told to abstaine for a month before my HSG, and then they did it anytime in my cycle, i think i got it done near ned of my cycle and they took a pregnnacy test just to be sure even though i was supposed to abstaine,

what i can say though, is that we where TTC for 5 years, and 3 months after this procedure i fell pregnant,
unfortunitly we lost that baby at 16 weeks but i am hoping that the procedure cleared some small blockage in my tubes and has now made it easier for me to get pregnant,

so i would have it done as i didn't think it was very painful, and didn't really case me any ill effects after apart from some spotting,

but everyones diffrent

Jools

29/07/09...baby Samson, lost at 16 weeks.
with DH for 6 years, looking for lots of sticky baby dust for our baby.
#10 of 11 Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 PM

Just wanted to say that I got pregnant 6 weeks after having a HSG!
#11 of 11 Old 10-14-2009, 09:38 PM

Hi I am to getting the test done on day 9 that will be next Monday. I am nervous, but All the same happy to be moving forward and sure what works and whats not. My husband is also scheduled for a sperm analysis and she did a estrogen or progesterone (not sure which it is) test on me I get those results tomorrow.
I'll let you know how mine goes since you are going next cycle

Mommy to AnnaLee Betty Born July 4th 2008
and my Fur Baby Natasha my Great Dane Boxer

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page