Infertility and breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-23-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not pregnant yet, but hope to start treatments relatively soon and would like to have a consultation with a fertility endocrinologist. However, I'm currently nursing my 7 month old baby and I would like to know what to expect, as I don't plan to wean her anytime soon. Since I've already been through this before, here's a rundown of the medications I'll be taking.

I do one cycle of Estrace with Progesterone to bring on a period before I actually start the cycle that will result in me ovulating. Then I'll use Menopur and an hCG trigger shot (Ovidrel) to ovulate. I can't imagine that any of these are actually unsafe to nurse with because they're just the hormones that my body would be making naturally if it could, however, I keep reading that you have to stop nursing when you start infertility treatments. Anyone have any info to clarify this for me?

EDIT: Oh, just to clarify for anyone reading this, I won't be having an IVF cycle. I'm missing a chunk of my pituitary gland and can't ovulate, so all we do is get the hormones in there to make me ovulate, then DH and I just make a baby the old fasioned way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-24-2009, 05:23 PM

I haven't been through BFing and treatment myself, but I have friends who have and they had to wean before doing anything. If I remember correctly, they had to have weaned 3 months before treatment to make sure their own hormones had regulated. I'm sorry, I'm sure that's not what you were hoping to hear.

ETA: Here's a short blurb from kellymom:
Quote:
I have had problems with infertility in the past; should I wean before treatments?

If you're eager to become pregnant first steps may include charting some cycles or reducing breastfeeding to evaluate your fertility status. If you are not ready to try to conceive, though, you may do well to take precautions since fertility reversals do occur.

Although there is no direct research, there is no obvious reason to believe that fertility treatments would harm the breast milk. To find out the latest on how a particular drug affects breastfeeding, turn to Thomas Hale, MD's Medications and Mothers' Milk. Clinical observations suggest that Clomid (Clomiphene) is compatible with breastfeeding.2 And there is no reason to expect that breastfeeding would affect your fertility treatment because the drugs will control your cycle.3

mom to DD july 2008
another on the way march 2010
#3 of 6 Old 08-25-2009, 07:05 PM

My RE won't let me cycle again (for a FET) until I've weaned. I think mostly because of the increased prolactin (although mine is down in the normal range now). And I do remember the inserts on some of those meds had warnings about pregnancy/BFing...

I don't want to wean yet though (DD is 2 yo) so we're still holding off on TTC - ugh!!!
#4 of 6 Old 08-28-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcovert View Post
My RE won't let me cycle again (for a FET) until I've weaned. I think mostly because of the increased prolactin (although mine is down in the normal range now). And I do remember the inserts on some of those meds had warnings about pregnancy/BFing...

I don't want to wean yet though (DD is 2 yo) so we're still holding off on TTC - ugh!!!
See, I've heard it's only because of the prolactin too. She's not even a year yet, but we'd like to start trying after her first birthday. I think I'm going to night wean and introduce 3 meals a day at that time so she's not nursing AS much, but I won't wean and I'll see how it goes. The meds I'll be taking are completely harmless, they're just hormones I would make anyway if my body was working correctly.

Thank you for your insight ladies!
#5 of 6 Old 08-28-2009, 08:45 PM

Why not simply request a prolactin blood test at the point you are ready to actively start trying? If it comes back at below the threshold, then perhaps they will allow you to start the med rounds if they aren't contraindicated by Hale?

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#6 of 6 Old 08-28-2009, 11:11 PM

The way my RE presented it to me, and my research proved about as much, high prolactin can prevent implantation. Which means, an embryo will have a pretty tough time sticking. Mine was too high before I ever breastfed, so I definately had to wean before cycling, but if yours wasn't, you may be able to talk a RE into testing you while you're bf-ing. Probably not - they really care about their stats being good...

Once again, Chesapeake me!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page