clomid and breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 09-13-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I've not posted in this section of MDC before. I have a dd who is 7 months old now. She was conceived on my 9th cycle of clomid (150mg) and 4th attempt at IUI. Do you think I will have to wean her before doing clomid again? I'd love to know more about this.

TIA

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 PM

Hi I only have a sec but wanted to reply. I found this on kellymom.con

"If you're eager to become pregnant first steps may include charting some cycles or reducing breastfeeding to evaluate your fertility status. If you are not ready to try to conceive, though, you may do well to take precautions since fertility reversals do occur.

Although there is no direct research, there is no obvious reason to believe that fertility treatments would harm the breast milk. To find out the latest on how a particular drug affects breastfeeding, turn to Thomas Hale, MD's Medications and Mothers' Milk. Clinical observations suggest that Clomid (Clomiphene) is compatible with breastfeeding.2 And there is no reason to expect that breastfeeding would affect your fertility treatment because the drugs will control your cycle.3
"

hth's
#3 of 6 Old 09-15-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! great resource!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#4 of 6 Old 09-16-2009, 10:06 PM

My dd is older than yours, but what I've read on MDC is that the biggest risk is a dip in milk supply. That is just fine with me. I'm just waiting on my referral to an RE and hoping to start clomid soon.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#5 of 6 Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm a bit worried about the milk supply issue. I think that we will wait until dd is closer to 2 to start again. I do worry that it will be harder this time around since I will be older but I'm hoping since we were successful once we will be again.

Good luck to you lesliesara63!

#6 of 6 Old 09-20-2009, 06:49 PM

Just wanted to say that I recommend actively trying to avoid until your little one is a year, even though you had fertilty problems in the past. My second was a clomid baby- after years of ttc. My third, was a total suprise we got preg. when ds was 18 months and still nursing a lot. She was a total suprise (it wasn't even my peak day or anything). My milk supply did drop and though I nursed through pregnancy, it was really difficult and I see why a lot of moms wean during pregnancy.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page