Shady Grove insight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were married in July 2004, and I stopped taking birth control in January 2004.

We have been actively TTC since January 2008. Last November, I went in to my OB/GYN to make sure things were all okay. She said in fact they were and looked at my chart and confirmed I am ovulating. She said it's not an issue and that we should just keep having fun.

Okay, fast forward to today, for my annual, first thing she says is "What happened? I was expecting to see you with a munchkin in tow" That just struck a nerve with me, but I know she means well. Anyhow, Again, confirmed ovulation, no lumps or bumps, no tilted cervix, etc. So she says that the next step is getting hubby a SA, which he did this morning, because I've been pressuring him to see the urologist a. because there is history of prostate cancer, and b. well, I'm inpatient. She said no matter the results, she's going to refer us to Shady Grove.

Anybody have experience with them? What is the process here? I've got a pamphlet, but it doesn't really discuss the process. I have no idea what to expect, but I guess they would try IUI since I seem to be in "working order"

Any insight would be appreciated.

Wife to DH of 5 years; Mommy to 3 dogs & 2 cats; Trying to conceive since 01/2008
#2 of 7 Old 11-19-2009, 11:40 PM

I live in NC but after trying a few clinics here, I started going to SG. So we traveled up there (5.5 hours) for two weeks during our IVF cycle.

They are very organized and I think they will help you get going quickly with new steps - whatever tests you need (they will probably start with some blood tests) or treatments. I had a personal nurse, which I've never had at another clinic, and she kept things moving quickly and smoothly.

Since you've been trying since Nov 2008, I'd say it's definitely time to talk to SG and see what they think.

BTW, I think your OB's comment was very rude and unprofessional. I would have felt like smacking her.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#3 of 7 Old 11-19-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemasita View Post
Since you've been trying since Nov 2008, I'd say it's definitely time to talk to SG and see what they think.

BTW, I think your OB's comment was very rude and unprofessional. I would have felt like smacking her.
I couldn't agree more on BOTH points.
#4 of 7 Old 11-20-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemasita View Post

Which office did you go to? I am thinking we will be going to the Baltimore office, since it's the closest.

While, I did want to smack her, she truly wasn't trying to be hurtful. She's very nice and I think it was her way of asking if we were still trying? I don't know. When I responded to her "Don't know, we've been trying" she went right to saying that it's time for hubby to get a SA, and then straight to Shady Grove. So I know she wants to help, just kinda weird how she started off ya know?

Here's to another adventure in trying to conceive

Wife to DH of 5 years; Mommy to 3 dogs & 2 cats; Trying to conceive since 01/2008
#5 of 7 Old 11-20-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondeb View Post
Which office did you go to? I am thinking we will be going to the Baltimore office, since it's the closest.
We went to the Woodbridge, VA office because it was closest to NC. Turned out to be a nice choice because it's not nearly as busy as some of the other offices. For the retrieval and transfer, everyone goes to Rockville because they only have one central lab.

Look at their shared risk program too. We didn't do it because we had already done 3 IVF cycles and didn't want to "commit" to 6 but I just reread the program terms and conditions today and you don't have to commit to 6 - you get up to 6 tries but can choose to "drop out" at any time and get all of your money back if you are not pg. It's got to be one of the best shared risk programs in the country. We did do shared help though, which is an income-based discount, and got a huge discount that way. I think they do a lot to help people afford treatments.

My doctor was Dr. Garde, btw.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#6 of 7 Old 11-21-2009, 12:40 AM

I was referred to Shady Grove by my midwife, she said to call the Leesburg office but I had to try and call the one by my work which didn't go well. I said I had a referral and would like to make an appointment and which point I was give the 3rd degree about WHO gave that to me and WHAT sort of appointment did I need and HOW long had we been trying. She actually said "we're really busy here so I need to know exactly why you need to come here first" I was freaked out.

Then I called the Leesburg office. Whew. Super nice, got me in without a peep. EVERYONE is friendly. The front desk, my nurse, the RE. The lady who drew my blood. Everyone.

When I went in Dr Kahn looked over all of my paperwork and we talked. We sort of made a game plan based on my history. I talked with my nurse and she outlined everything for me and made sure I understood all of the procedures and tests we were going to do. I've been really happy with my office!

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#7 of 7 Old 12-07-2009, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

So we had our consult today. It was very pleasant. We went to the Columbia office. I have a HSG set up for tomorrow. Ugh. Not looking forward to that. We're getting tons of blood work done tomorrow too.

Hubby's SA came back fine according to the urologist, but the RE never got the report, so we'll have to wait until he sees that report to know for sure.

Since I'm on Lexapro, Dr. Osheroff is sending me to an MFM to make sure that I can continue taking it if we do conceive.

I really like the personal attention we got it was very nice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page