Winter IVF - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wahine - Yeah, I don't know about all the meds, I couldn't bear reading any more about them, because I'm so unusual.

I have super low FSH and low LH, and low E2, across my cycle, everything seems to move in a normal peak pattern, but the peaks and surges are tiny little molehills instead of mountains, and I have tiny little ovaries, and I could not find any major medical attention paid to people like me, since most people are the opposite.

So, what seems to work for me - moderate doses of Gonal-F and we don't know yet if the Luveris and Ganirelix are working - is not what's necessarily going to work for you.

It's also really hard to know what the pattern of growth will be like for the follicles. Even on Clomid, I had follicles that "stopped growing" at 12 mm while others were 18 mm, and then suddenly, two days later, I had 2 22 mm and 2 24 mm, so they didn't stop at all.

7 is still good, and even 5 is Ok, but you're right - just one good embryo is all it takes.

I like the meditation tracks, I've only listened to the first one so far, and I'm trying to get into the general fertile soul one or whatever ti's called, but I often fall asleep before the end! I think that means they work.

I often have trouble getting into it, I find myself obsessing about my credit card bill or any of the other sources of instant-anxiety in my life, so I try to catch myself and focus in on her voice and get back into it. I do notice a difference in my overall stress level if I can get into the meditation often enough.

I think I'm going to do crazy polka dot socks tomorrow. I have b/w and u/w at 8:30, regular doc at 10:30. I have an entire drawer full of crazy socks I bought on sale especially for TTC.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 PM

You gals are all so busy with upcoming cycles! 5Terre, I'm dying to know how your embies look. I wish you all the best for a super ripe one that implants perfectly next week.
FTMPapa, your retrieval is just a week away. Wow! Good luck.
Wahine, good luck w/the stims.
Welcome back, DaisyMae.
MomtoAlexis, I hope you're well, too.

Question for you all: What exercise restrictions do your RE's put you on post transfer? Mine said no sex / orgasm (for a month or more), no exercise except walking. I had trouble with all of that. Anyone get different opinions, or no restrictions on sex/orgasm and exercise at all (except maybe the first few days after transfer)? I'm trying to see what other clinics say, so I can balance my doc's strict rules with others that are out there.

I'm considering an FET in late Feb, which means I'd start BCP's very, very soon. I'm not sure if I'm mentally ready for the roller coaster ride yet, but the BCP's actually buy me a few more weeks before Lupron and other meds start, so I could always back out and wait another month if I got cold feet.

Baby dust to all.

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgoodbuns View Post
Question for you all: What exercise restrictions do your RE's put you on post transfer? Mine said no sex / orgasm (for a month or more), no exercise except walking. I had trouble with all of that. Anyone get different opinions, or no restrictions on sex/orgasm and exercise at all (except maybe the first few days after transfer)? I'm trying to see what other clinics say, so I can balance my doc's strict rules with others that are out there.
My doctor doesn't put any restrictions on me. I'm allowed to resume "relations" and exercise the day after the transfer. I don't usually get back into things that quickly, but a couple of days later - yeah, I'm back at the gym etc. Boston IVF basically says that after the transfer it's out of your hands. You're not going to change the outcome either way and so it's okay to continue doing what your body is used to doing.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 PM

Wahine I'm sorry you don't have tons. I am thinking about you and hoping you get as many good quality eggs as possible. The ER for me is the easiest part, I come out of anesthesia without issues and so far haven't had any pain at all after them. It's nice to not have ovarian pain anymore. I have a lot of trouble getting into Anji, I have a hard time not 'thinking'. I still do it, though, just allowing yourself to have some down time and listen to someone give you a pep talk is always a good thing. I've had success in the past with getting better at a meditation the more I did it, but this is such a stressful time, it's totally different than doing meditation for other reasons, I think.

ftmpapa How do you like 'The Fertile Soul'? I don't have that one. If it puts you to sleep, I'd say it's working! That's funny about the socks.

msgoodbuns I haven't made it to transfer yet so can't help you there. If I make it to transfer I will be scared to do anything that might jeopardize it. Thanks for the well wishes.

All 5 fertilized but only 2 look good. But of the 5 thawed, 4 look good. So we technically have 10 right now, and 6 look good. Hoping that one of them makes it! We'll find out Sunday night if we have any chromosomally normal embryos to transfer. I am feeling proud of myself tonight - I did my first ever PIO injection. By myself. On my non-dominant side. And it didn't hurt. We'll see how it feels tomorrow, but I have been worried about these since September, so pleasantly surprised. Just want to put it out there that I am happy to do these every night for the next couple months…
Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 AM

Daisy, I didn't realize you were in Boston. So am I. C-town, actually. Glad to hear your activity isn't restricted. I really wanted to work out, but did as the doc said, all the while my stress levels were rising rapidly...

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

5terre- Things sound good so far. I am so praying for you and hoping you make it to transfer.

msgoodbuns- I would say start the BCP and get ready, like you said you could always back out. I found our FET to be really easy with no stress at all. It's your call, we're here for you if you need us. My RE has no restrictions either, I take it easy for about 2 days and then resume normal light activities nothing heavy just in case.

wahine5-You are doing your best you are absolutley right, thats all we can do. Do our best and hope for the best. You may have more, you never know till that day, but like I said before most of the time too many ends up poor quality, so slow and steady seems much better, that's what I'm hoping for this cycle.

AFM-Feeling good today, no more BCP. Dh does have a slight pneumonia and you know men when they are sick. So I'm just babying him.lol. He seems to think that because I'm a nurse I should be able to cure him overnight. I told him I can't cure him but I can kill him overnight real quick. . I thought that would scare him to the couch but he stayed in bed and kept me up all night.
So I'm going to bed now and catching up on some zzzzzzzzz. Goodnight everyone.

Loving life with DH, DD-8/98lady.gif, & our miracle twins 12/4/10babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif after 3 IVF's and 3 yrs TTC

Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 AM

This is me, knitting some socks for you, FtMPapa. They are red, pink and green striped with yellow stars, purple hearts and electric blue tassles.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
Old 01-08-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMae08 View Post
My doctor doesn't put any restrictions on me. I'm allowed to resume "relations" and exercise the day after the transfer. I don't usually get back into things that quickly, but a couple of days later - yeah, I'm back at the gym etc. Boston IVF basically says that after the transfer it's out of your hands. You're not going to change the outcome either way and so it's okay to continue doing what your body is used to doing.
Hey, we have the same clinic! You know, I was just reading this thread and thinking "I wonder what the official word is from my doc?" because I don't really have a lot of info.

I think I missed some pre-IVF orientation stuff, I was so busy with the insurance b-s that I don't think I've actually looked at the IVF stuff I got, other than to confirm that I have the right meds and the cycle calendar. Maybe they sent me something else, I should check.

MsGoodBuns - that sounds kind of extreme. It's not good for you if your stress levels are going up. Since you're not doing stims, your upcoming FET should be the same as your last cycle, right? You're not running any risk of OHSS, jumping up and down after sex doesn't stop teenagers from getting pregnant, so working out at a reasonable pace shouldn't stop you!

I typically take it easy the day of and the day after an IUI, and I wouldn't swim for several days after an IUI, because of the risk of infection, though one time I forgot and went swimming that night or the next night and I really didn't realize it until much later, but everything was fine, except the not-getting-pregnant part. I'm planning to treat my transfer just like an IUI - I'll take it easy that day, and the next, gentle walks on flat terrain with my dogs, no cycling (Ha! with the weather we're having, I don't even want to think about my bike, it's way too cold out there) and no swimming.

5terre You can do this! I haven't done PIO but I've done similar IM injections in sesame oil. One thing that can really help is massaging the injection site and/or working that muscle, not too hard, but like, going for a walk if you do your glutes, for instance. It helps move the oil around. You can also put a bit of heat on it, like one of those grain bag you microwave or something like that.

If I remember right, the PIO is a lot thicker than some of the other oil injects, and you really want to avoid having the big injection site knots/welts/charley horses form, because they are really uncomfortable and with doing the shots every day, they're likely to build up.

I really like Anji because she's not all super womanly or super feminine imagery and such. I haven't really gotten into the fertile soul one that much, I think I fell asleep within minutes of starting it. I'll try it again tongiht and let you know!

AFM, 2nd shot of Ganirelix, 2nd shot of Luveris. I need to get some more Gonal-F, I have two shots left, and I think I'm going to need another three or four. I don't know for sure, I'll see what my results are tomorrow. Grrr! There goes my dishwasher. I was hoping to buy a dishwasher, looks like I'll be buying meds instead. And the Ganirelix will eat up the rest of my budget.

I guess I'll have to remember this when I'm washing everything by hand with the baby on my back - I traded the dishwasher for you, kiddo.

If I'm still washing dishes with no kid in a year, I'm allowed to be bitter then, right?

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunningmama View Post
This is me, knitting some socks for you, FtMPapa. They are red, pink and green striped with yellow stars, purple hearts and electric blue tassles.
Ha! That's funny!

It's actually on my RE's list of stuff to bring the day of the retrieval - warm socks or slippers. It's likely chilly in the clinic, and when you're anxious, all the blood rushes away from your extremities.

The last time I had surgery, my ex bought me socks, it was August, but it was so cold in the clinic, I was freezing. They brought me slippers, but they didn't fit my huge feet, so he ran out and bought me two pairs of socks, I wore those things to death. Actually, I think I might still have them, even though that was over eight years ago now. They weren't magic, though, just warm. My special striped socks, all twelve or so pairs of them, are magic.

I'm hoping their magic will bring me back my favourite sonographer tomorrow, she was off yesterday.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 AM

Ftmpapa, I totally had lucky socks for the ER and ET! I wore Acorn polar fleece socks so I'd feel extra cozy amidst the strange circumstances. My RE loved them too! Also, prefer the IVF anji cd to the fertile soul one.

Just to chime in, I had a lot of restrictions. No exercise but walking, no sex for a good two mths, no swimming or baths.
DMae, I know you ride horses (right?)...I def. would not do that after ET, and perhaps you never have. Just my .02. It's not advised during pregnancy at all.

5Terre, You are a champ with your PIO shot! I will be praying for those 10 embies!!!

Wahine, you have a great attitude. I hope you've got some great embryos to transfer.

GL Everyone!

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Hi Poet, my doctor has said that I can ride, but I don't. From the time of ET to the time I get a neg. beta I let my horse have a vacation. She doesn't seem to mind.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:07 PM

Hello Ladies,
DaisyMae08: I love that your horse is getting a vaca. That's cute.

poetgirl: Your lucky socks sound incredibly cozy !!!

MOMTOALEXIS: How are you holding up? Sounds like you got a lot on your plate with your husband having mild pneumonia. You have a great sense of humor. I love it

FtMPapa: Didn't you have an appt. today? How did it go? Juicy follies? I hope so. I think you'll like the Anji for IVF. I have trouble focusing too. My head always goes to something I need to do when I'm finished...
Although last night, I couldn't even get through it. I just started crying half way through. Yesterday was tough....

5terre: Thanks for your kind words... I hope I get more into the Anji the more I listen to them. Good job in the PIO job. I hope you get to do them for the next 2 months. Wooohoooo !!!

msgoodbuns: What do you do for FET? What kind of meds?

AFM: E2 is was at 166 yesterday. They said I'm doing better. I go back tomorrow morning. I think I may know the problem. I don't think I've been getting the full 600iu of the meds. When I mix the liquid with the powder, then draw it into the new syringe to 600, there is an empty space (around 3/8"). This is just air I suppose. I just couldn't get any more in the syringe. There was barely anything left in the vial, but still a bit. I think this empty space reduced the dosage. It's too bad that I'm finally realizing this after my 5th dose. I'll ask about it tomorrow and try to fix it tonight and hope the next 3 shots at full dose will correct my lazy ovaries.

Everyone have a great rest of the day !!!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMae08 View Post
Hi Poet, my doctor has said that I can ride, but I don't. From the time of ET to the time I get a neg. beta I let my horse have a vacation. She doesn't seem to mind.
Hi Daisy, I figured as much, but just wanted to mention in the spirit of no stone unturned. I am hoping with all I got for you this cycle.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
Old 01-08-2010, 07:56 PM

You guys are so chatty, I can't keep up. I'm sorry if I'm not offering individual support, but know that my thoughts are with all of us as a group. I so wish I could give a baby to every person who would make a great parent!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:02 PM

momtoalexis Hope your DH is feeling better.

ftmpapa Oh I knew all the tricks, I've been googling PIO since the summer! I think part of why it was so painless is because mine is in ethyl oleate, not sesame or peanut oil. It is more fake (which I hate) but less viscous. Giving up the dishwasher for the kid, I love it!!! Hope it went well today.

wahine No, that shouldn't matter. Even if you were missing a third of it and only getting 400 say, you would most likely respond similarly. How much liquid are you injecting into the powder vial? Are you pulling the needle far down to the stopper as you run out of liquid to get as much of it as you can? I really don't think that's it though, you are probably getting most of the dose, no one can get it all out. Do you go back tomorrow?

Hope everyone else is doing well today.

Our biopsy is tomorrow morning. I am scared to find out how many are still growing.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 PM

Wahine - EEP! I am so paranoid about doing my shots wrong. I've been doing my own injects for other stuff for years, so I feel like I had a huge leg up, because it's familiar to me, but the mixing can be kind of complicated.

You might want to ask your RE about doing the Gonal-F pen if you have to do more stims....I'm not 100% sure it's the same formula, because the pen says RFF (revised formulation female) on it, but I'm not sure if that's like "New Coke" and just a marketing gimmick or not.

Personally, I hate the pen, but it is easier than mixing every dose. With all three drugs, it's taking me forever...shoot the pen into the Luveris, shoot the preloaded syringe of Ganirelix into the Luveris/Gonal-F mix, mix the whole thing in the vial, draw it up into the syringe, change the needle, do the injection, the whole process takes like 15 minutes, and I'm kind of crazy about it, like tonight I thought I injected the Ganirelix into the water instead of the Luveris...I don't use the water, I just toss it, but luckily I hadn't. Then I had a crazy thought like what if I accidentally mixed the trigger instead of the luveris? But I didn't. It makes me nuts!

AFM - I had a u/s and b/w this morning - 10 follicles, all over 10 mm now, the biggest is close to 18, the smallest around 11. My E2 was 700ish, which is pretty Ok, I think. I'm not really sure about the interpretation, my nurse is too nice, she said it was good...I think she meant good but not great. Or maybe I'm just a pessimist.

I've graduated to daily ultrasounds, I'm going back in tomorrow, but not for bloodwork.

My meds are staying the same, I have one shot of Gonal-F left for tomorrow, and two Ganirelix, so I'm waiting to see what shakes loose with tomorrow's ultrasound, because it's touch and go whether I'll need more drugs...and if I do, I won't be able to order them to be delivered in time for Sunday....argh. It's so hard to guestimate the #s ahead of time.

If I only need one more shot, I can get the dishwasher. Or if I get knocked up, then I get the dishwasher, but I'll have to figure out how to pay for it.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:51 AM

ftmpapa Sounds like you might be triggering today! It would be nice to get the baby AND the dishwasher! Ganirelix can falsely lower your E2, that's probably why you don't need bloodwork today. Once you start on it, they put more weight on the US.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:13 AM

Just got a call from the lab, we lost 6 and are down to 4. The odds that one of them will be normal (and continue growing until Monday) are small.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:15 PM

5terre, I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you. That is so disappointing, but I'm holding out hope for you.

We had our appt. yesterday and my doctor is very on top of things and had 3 ideas. One is that we will do a hysteroscopy. The second is that while he's doing the hysteroscopy he will also do a scraping of the uterus which has shown some evidence of increasing implantation in that it stimulates the production of red blood cells.

And the third thing is we will be doing Array CGH, which I'm now very intrigued by. I'm trying to do some research to find out more about this, but it's very new so there's not a ton of stuff online about it.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5terre View Post
Just got a call from the lab, we lost 6 and are down to 4. The odds that one of them will be normal (and continue growing until Monday) are small.
Don't give up hope! I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. We ended up with only three viable embryos when we did IVF previously. The two better ones were placed back in, and one stuck and is now my DS4.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

5terre-I'm holding onto hope for you, it only takes one. I've seen many women graduate from here with just a single embryo transfer.

Loving life with DH, DD-8/98lady.gif, & our miracle twins 12/4/10babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif after 3 IVF's and 3 yrs TTC

Old 01-10-2010, 02:45 AM

5terre - you're almost right! I'm triggering tomorrow and the ER is on Tuesday!

My ultrasound yesterday was off, off, off, I think - I don't think it's possible that I went from 10 follicles to 13 (the smallest was 14 mm) overnight, and I don't think it's possible that my endometrium went from 7.whatever to 13.5 today in 24 hours.

I wore my lucky socks, and I got a take-home picture of my follicles from the u/s! I've never gotten one before, it was so awesome to walk out of there with a picture. I almost cried, even though I know it's just a buncha follies and not a baby, it made it feel so much closer.

5terre - I'm sorry you lost some already. I take heart in the fact that a recent graduate of this thread, who is happily into her second trimester, and looking great, had only one viable embryo to transfer after PGD. It really truly only takes one to take. I hope your one is in that little petri dish. for you.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:50 PM

5terre and FtMPapa, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of you! Good luck this week! May your transferred embies snuggle up inside your lining and grow, grow, grow!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:41 PM

5terre: I'm so sorry that you lost some. But I am praying the 4 are still good growing !!! When do you think the ET will be? Hang in there. Positive thoughts always .

FtMPapa: Girl, you are on the way.... That's excellent. Sounds like everything is looking great. Good luck on the trigger tonight. I don't know anything about what's possible regarding the us and bw. But if that's what they see...... I'm so very excited for you

AFM: News is not good. We are down to 5 follies. We have something called 2 dominants. This means the 2 follies have taken over and are not allowing the the other 3 to grow at the same rate. The result is after 6 days of stims. I have ordered more gonal F for 2 days, which will put me at 10 days of stims. We will see how it's going on Monday. RE thinks only 2 will mature, but the other 3 can catch up. He's seen it happen. I'm not holding my breath. He also said some people go through with the ivf with only 2 follicles. I don't think I will. Maybe do an IUI and pray it works. He thinks maybe I will respond better on Clomid and Gonal F. I don't know. I can't think that far in advance. I just don't think it's smart to go through with ivf with only 2 mature follicles.... Financially, we only have 1 shot.

Have a great weekend all. Fingers crossed and good thoughts for all of you.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:52 PM

Wahine That stinks, I feel terrible. How big are the smaller 3? Are they >10?

ftmpapa Good luck with the trigger!

Down to 3 now. I still have hope that 1 will be normal. Transfer is tomorrow morning at 10:15. We most likely will not find out the biopsy results until we get there.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

5terre & wahine5-

Old 01-10-2010, 06:56 PM

Wahine - gently, I'm not a girl. I understand how people could think that with the IVF and all, but I'm a transgender guy, hence the user name.

I'm sorry to hear about your follies! You need to do what's right for you, and hang in there, things can change.

that those follicles catch up! I hope this can be your magic cycle.

AFM - we (me, driver, partner in baby making, only) have to leave for the clinic at 5:00 AM Tuesday morning. YUCK! But, on the bright side, hopefully my future children will be conceived Tuesday morning.

I have only one more thing I have to do - the trigger shot at 8:30 tonight, and then I get tomorrow off, no u/s, b/w, or shots, or anything until Tuesday morning. Yay!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
Wahine - gently, I'm not a girl. I understand how people could think that with the IVF and all, but I'm a transgender guy, hence the user name.

I'm sorry to hear about your follies! You need to do what's right for you, and hang in there, things can change.

that those follicles catch up! I hope this can be your magic cycle.

AFM - we (me, driver, partner in baby making, only) have to leave for the clinic at 5:00 AM Tuesday morning. YUCK! But, on the bright side, hopefully my future children will be conceived Tuesday morning.

I have only one more thing I have to do - the trigger shot at 8:30 tonight, and then I get tomorrow off, no u/s, b/w, or shots, or anything until Tuesday morning. Yay!
Can we call you "dude"? I know that being transgender has made some aspects of this journey much more of a a PITA for you (like the first clinic), sending extra 's your way. Sucks that you have to start off so darn early, blech! Good luck with the trigger and ER.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
Old 01-10-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunningmama View Post
Can we call you "dude"? I know that being transgender has made some aspects of this journey much more of a a PITA for you (like the first clinic), sending extra 's your way. Sucks that you have to start off so darn early, blech! Good luck with the trigger and ER.

Totally, feel free to call me dude.

Being trans and a single parent by choice with a known donor (AKA partner in babymaking) and being younger than many TTCers (I'm 29) has made lots of things much more complicated.

But it has also made a lot of things much better - for instance, nobody is saying to me "Why haven't you had kids yet?" I have better response to meds than I would five years from now. I am not worrying about time running out. I don't have to worry about a lot of things partnered people do.

Sure, it's annoying that there's a fertility clinic 20 minutes from my house but I am driving two hours each way for my consults and egg retrieval and transfer. And yes, it really is hard that they're continuing to discriminate against me. But, I am going to one of the premier fertility centers in the United States and getting top-notch care, so I'm trying to keep that in mind.

On the other hand, I had to have ridiculous conversations with the clinic that is treating me and with my insurance company, and I had to pay for some stuff out of pocket...and so on.

So, yeah, call me dude, guy, hey you, but don't call me woman, girl, or late to dinner. I can't wait until my little one is calling me "papa." That's what keeps me going.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:37 PM

FtMPapa, that's very cool, being transgender, having a child on your own, and being "young". You're obviously a very smart, independent, brazen "dude"! I wish you much luck and baby dust this week with your transfer.

User Tag List