Natural Treatments for Recurrent Miscarriage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had 5 miscarriages now. 4 occurred before 6w and 1 happened at 11w. I have PCOS and a double mutation on my MTHFR gene that increase my risk of miscarriage. Plus, my age now is a bigger factor since I'm 39, will be 40 in March. I do have 3 children. One was born in between miscarriages. I took metformin because it's supposed to possibly reduce the increased risk of miscarriage associated with PCOS and low dose aspirin and prescription folic acid for the gene mutation while TTC ds2 and 3. However, I've also had 3 miscarriages on those meds. I'm thinking the drugs don't really help much. It seems to still be a crap shoot whether or not a get a pregnancy that sticks.

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on herbal treatments or other natural remedies for recurrent miscarriage. I'm considering Vitex or maca. I am also planning to get the book The Infertility Cure, assuming it has info on recurrent miscarriage. We're not interested in fertility drugs or treatments because we are not actively TTC. We're taking the not trying but not preventing approach since I get pregnant almost every time we do the deed during my fertile window.

Anyone have any info or suggestions?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

No one has any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

I found this website that sells all kinds of fertility supplements. I'm thinking maybe the maca and zymessence would be good for me. They are supposed to help with recurrent miscarriage, PCOS and blood clotting or immune issues. I'm thinking of using the fertility cleanse kit first if it's safe while breastfeeding.

Anyone try any of that stuff?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Sorry, no personal experience with this particular issue but I was going to suggest Shonda Parker's book 'Naturally Healthy Pregnancy' as a possible resource with some more specific information on which herbs to use. I've used many of her suggestions for other problems and they were really helpful. Her website is http://www.naturallyhealthy.org/ (She is a Christian, so if that is something you are totally opposed to, Rosemary Gladstar might be more beneficial.)

Also, this sight http://www.trilighthealth.com has some tinctures for infertility. Not sure if they would help with the miscarriage issue, but might be worth looking into.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:26 PM

I don't have any advice/suggestions either, but I hope you are able to get the answers you need. As awful as not being able to conceive is, I cannot imagine the pain of losing so many babies.

I don't know if the book addresses it, but have you looked into "the Infertility Cure" or other traditional chinese medicine books?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

I was planning on getting that book if I can find out if it specifically covers recurrrent miscarriage. My local Barnes & Noble can order it for me if they don't already carry it so I can look at it without having to buy it. I've got the Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year and The Nursing Mother's Herbal. They only address immediate threatened miscarriage directly.

I checked out those websites. They do sell individual herbs and tinctures for immediate threatened miscarriage but I didn't see anything for strengthening the body and organs to make miscarriage less likely. That doesn't mean they aren't there but I don't know enough to recognize the use of individual herbs. I also couldn't find anywhere that explained what the different herbs were like the website I found. Maybe I missed a section that explained the herbs and their uses better.

I'm definitely going to try those fertility enzymes, zymessence. I need to decide between the maca or Vitex. The maca sounded better for recurrent miscarriage but the Vitex is very strongly recommended for PCOS. They both sort of do the same thing but slightly differently. The thing I didn't like about the Vitex was that it's supposed to increase LH and decrease FSH and I thought that was not good for PCOS. When I took LH and FSH for IVF I ended up with OHSS. Of course, it could be very different when taking herbs to help the body naturally balance out the hormones vs. injecting hormones.

I've been wanting to do some sort of cleanse for years now but I've either been pregnant or nursing. My 2 1/2yo is in the process of weaning so maybe the cleanse wouldn't be dangerous at this point. I always wonder if things that are contraindicated while nursing are age sensitive. For example, maybe something that is very bad while nursing a newborn may not have any effect on a 2yo.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:56 PM

Are there any alternative practitioners (herbal, naturopathic, etc.) that you can work with?
Not sure where you live but Asheville has a lot of herbalists and herb schools. So if money is a problem you could be a patient in one of the student clinics.
If you were a client of mine, I would be looking at nutrition, weight, exposure to chemicals (including household cleaners and makeup), stress, environment, etc. as well as physical health history. I would be looking for the pattern of imbalance that results in the PCOS. A cleanse might be a good idea. The Fasting Path by Stephen Buhner gives good safety guidelines for fast or partial fast.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumanh View Post
Are there any alternative practitioners (herbal, naturopathic, etc.) that you can work with?
Not sure where you live but Asheville has a lot of herbalists and herb schools.
Unfortunately, I'm on the other side of the state. Asheville is about 6 hours away. I wish I lived there. It seems very progressive compared to the rest of the state. There is an acupuncturist here but I can't afford her individual treatment. My insurance doesn't cover that. There aren't any herbalists that I know of and I've been looking for 3 1/2 years now. I did find this doctor just recently that my insurance might cover. I'm so disillusioned with health/medical practitioners right now, though, that I'm not all that motivated to make an appointment. Also, it says on his website that any fertility issues beyond simple ovulation induction will be referred to an IVF clinic in Raleigh. I am definitely not interested in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumanh View Post
If you were a client of mine, I would be looking at nutrition, weight, exposure to chemicals (including household cleaners and makeup), stress, environment, etc. as well as physical health history. I would be looking for the pattern of imbalance that results in the PCOS. A cleanse might be a good idea. The Fasting Path by Stephen Buhner gives good safety guidelines for fast or partial fast.
I've been told repeatedly that doing a cleanse while breastfeeding at all is a bad idea so I guess I'll have to hold off on that. My weight is ok. I'm still carrying some extra pregnancy weight from when I was pregnant with my 2 1/2yo but I'm not worried about that. I exercise and try to eat somewhat healthy so I think I can lose it eventually. I have to admit, though, that my diet seems to get worse and worse as the years go by. I just get so tired of thinking and worrying about what I'm eating. I just want to eat what tastes good. I avoid nasty household chemicals and make up and such. I'm sure I'm not 100% clean and safe but I do make an effort to make safer choices.

The thing that gets me about that is that I got pg by accident when I was so dangerous about my health and lifestyle. I was smoking cigarettes and marijuana, using cocaine and had even tried crack, and was going out almost every night drinking to excess. I conceived my oldest ds while tripping on mushrooms and he stuck in spite of the fact that I continued that behavior to some extent until I was about 10-12 weeks pregnant because I was told that I was not pregnant. I don't understand how it is that I could get and stay pg under those circumstances and now when I'm trying to be the healthiest I can be I lose more pgs than I keep.

Emotional stress is a big thing for me, I think. My dh is gone a lot. For example, right after we moved here in June 2006 he was deployed to Iraq for about 14 months. He was home for a little over a year before being deployed to Afghanistan for 7 months. He was home for about 4 weeks and is now gone again for about 6 months. I am the single parent/responsible adult for my children through all that time. That is very stressful for me. I don't know how to handle that stress any better. It is what it is. I can't change my circumstances.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:07 PM

Hi Marinewife,

So sorry to hear of your troubles.

Here is a link to a Recurrent Miscarriage page: http://natural-fertility-info.com/pr...ng-miscarriage

Remember that natural remedies can fall short when it comes to genetic issues.

This page only has natural remedies for Recurrent Miscarriages.

All the best,

Dalene

Herbalist, CD Mother of 2 boys, age 11 and 9
Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Dalene. That is the website I mentioned that I had found earlier. I really want to do the fertility cleanse but one of their herbalists very strongly told me not to do it while nursing.

Both my dh and I have had chromosomal testing and all was good. We've also been told that having had 2 children together is further indication that we are ok genetically. I do wonder if my body has some problem with girls since I've had 3 boys. I don't have any way to confirm or disprove that.

User Tag List