Anyone having fertility treatment due to their DH's cancer treatment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As the title says I'm interested in whether anyone here is facing (or has been through) fertility treatment because their partner has had chemo/radiation for cancer.My DH was diagnosed with colon cancer in the Fall and was able to bank some sperm before his treatment began (thankfully we brought it up with the onco - no-one even mentioned it to us)!

So we've been told that cancer patients have a poorer "defrost" outcome than normal people and that I will have maybe 2 tries with IUI, then if no joy we'll have to do IVF. I don't have fertility issues myself apart from advancing age , so hopefully that will increase our chances.

Has anyone out there been through this? I'd love to hear any experiences - good or bad.

ETA: Hope I'm posting this in the right place - please feel to move it if not!

Widowed mummy to T 6/08 and a crazy blue dog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 PM

I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to wish you luck and give you a after reading your post! Take care and I hope all goes well for you both!!!

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

Old 01-22-2010, 12:46 AM

Yep, me. I just went to see the OB/GYN on Wednesday. DH has a sample "on ice" so to speak, from the day before he started chemo. But, he had lymphoma, and lymphoma itself kills your sperm count. So, his sample only had 2% usable sperm. With defrosting, you expect to lose 50%, so.... that doesn't leave you with much. Your option with a situation like that is IVF with ICSI, because you really don't have any extra to spare.
I also have PCOS, which complicates any situation.
Our first step is to have DH do a semen analysis now to see where we stand on that front. He goes in tomorrow. If he has enough healthy sperm to make the "natural" route feasible, I'll go on Clomid. If his sperm count is existent but kind of lousy, we could do IUI, again, with Clomid.
If we find out that our only option is the IVF with ICSI, then.... I don't know. I don't think we can afford to do it at this point because we're dealing with so many medical bills from DH's illness.

I'm just really REALLY hoping for a decent result from tomorrow's test!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Good luck tomorrow, hope you get a good result!! My DH will most likely be infertile after his chemo, so we'll definitely have to go the artificial route - cancer is such a costly disease, on so many levels

Thanks for sharing your story.

Widowed mummy to T 6/08 and a crazy blue dog

Old 01-22-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjrowan View Post
Good luck tomorrow, hope you get a good result!! My DH will most likely be infertile after his chemo, so we'll definitely have to go the artificial route - cancer is such a costly disease, on so many levels

Thanks for sharing your story.
It's just a toss up for him. It's quite possible he will be. But on the other hand, he didn't have many of the other nasty side effects most people on chemo get, so who knows? He did also do radiation, but it was localized and a low dose compared to what is necessary for some treatments, so that likely didn't affect anything.

User Tag List