Bedrest after IVF transfer, how long? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're doing our first IVF cycle in a couple of weeks and I've heard different things from folks with different REs about how long the bedrest period after transfer should be. I'm trying to sort of plan how long I'll need to take off from work after the transfer.

I know I don't post a whole lot over here, but poetgirl kind of encouraged me to come back over and post for some love and support as we go on to IVF.

Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 02-17-2010, 12:34 AM

By the day of the transfer, I more or less felt fine, though the progesterone was making me SLEEPY.

I did retrieval on Tuesday, 3 day transfer on Friday, and honestly, I couldn't drive or do anything at all on Tuesday, Weds, but by THurs PM I was feeling fine. My RE believes that nothing will shake a good embryo loose, but I was kind of zonked post-IVF and I didn't have a lot going on, so I stayed in bed the rest of the day of the transfer, and most of the weekend, just because I could.

Physically, the transfer is not a big deal. The retrieval and the stims were for me. And if you think about it logically, there's really nothing you can do to help the embryo implant by changing your activity levels.

good luck with your IVF!! I've been very happy with mine so far, 7 weeks today!

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#3 of 9 Old 02-18-2010, 05:52 PM

My RE told me that I would be OK to go back to work the day after egg retrieval and the day after transfer.

I've made the decision on my own to take a week off during that time period.

2twins.gif Twin Girls on November 11, 2010
#4 of 9 Old 02-18-2010, 06:19 PM

#5 of 9 Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 AM

My RE also emphasized (no, wait it was the accupuncturist) to do happy things, ready books that make you happy, don't watch heavy, depressing movies, and so on. Also eat Chinese food, that voodoo worked for a bunch of us. Good luck

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#6 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunningmama View Post
My RE also emphasized (no, wait it was the accupuncturist) to do happy things, ready books that make you happy, don't watch heavy, depressing movies, and so on. Also eat Chinese food, that voodoo worked for a bunch of us. Good luck
My RE recommends 3 days of bedrest after transfer (the day of + 2). I figured it couldnt hurt and after all we'd been through to get to that point, I wanted to do everything possible to ensure success. I took advantage of the forced downtime - caught up on books, magazines, tv. and meditated on sticky embryos!

I went back to work the day after ER with no problems. Felt fine.

Good luck!!

Never figured out how to do the multiple quotes.

But This was it for both times for me!
#7 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 04:28 PM

Chinese food? Really? Great excuse for me to have some, I suppose!
#8 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 PM

Yes, totally on the Chinese food.

Hi Emma, Good question. My RE wanted me to rest a few days after transfer, and I enjoyed that. I figured it was a lot for my body to process and the restoration was appreciated. But I'm the kind of person who wanted a lot of personal space and quiet during the whole process. I didn't want to distract myself and keep busy but settle down and be private.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#9 of 9 Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM

Both of mine recommended "couch" rest for the day of plus another day. I don't think the laying around is as important as the *not doing stressful stuff*. Like...Absolutely no vacuuming. Don't lift heavy things. Don't do a lot of bending or stretching. Just take it easy.

Once again, Chesapeake me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page