Mothering Forum banner

Natural IuI (No Meds) Success Rates

33K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  sueebee 
#1 ·
Im Thinking About Doing A Natural IUI Since I Have No Problem Ovulating. I Was Wondering If Anyone Has Tried It And Had A BFP, Tell Me Your Success Stories Please, Need Some Support. (Very First IUI) Seeing RE In June
Thanks!

#2 ·
Hi Cherrie,
I was wondering this, too. I asked this question a few weeks ago, and a few ladies said that the odds are higher with the medical ovulation stimulation, since more follicles are stimulated and possibly more eggs are released, so therefore more targets for the sperms to hit. Also, the medication can help you release more mature, healthy eggs. We decided, since insurance only covers six IUIs for us in a lifetime, that we wanted to wait and do a fully medicated iui to cover all bases. I guess the choice is up to you, depending on your comfort level, willingness to possibly wait longer, and insurance coverage. Does that make sense? Anybody else have suggestions? Good luck!!!

#3 ·
Hi Tear78!
yeah, ive been reading into it and alot of ladies say its best to do iui w/meds since you're going to spend the money anyway. so i might go with meds. how is your journey going? im pretty nervous about this whole thing. i wish you the best of luck!

#5 ·
I did one cycle of natural IUI and probably would have done another cycle or two before going into fertility meds except my cycle shifted due to stress. I began ovulating on the weekend and I assumed my OB/GYN wouldn't provide an IUI on a weekend. I'm glad things worked out the way they did because it turned out that my insurance would cover IUI but only six cycles. Information my OB/GYN's office failed to get or failed to supply to me. The REs office knew that was important info.

So we did one natural cycle. Switched to an RE and did three cycles of Clomid+IUI. With the info on our insurance coverage, we made the decision, with our RE's support, to step up to Gonal F (an injectable fertility med) for our final two (covered) cycles and were successful on the first one.

Definitely look into your insurance coverage before going forward with treatment.

#6 ·
yeah, only preoblem is, i have no insurance and dh insurance wont deal with any infertility treatments and no self insurance can help me there, so im looking to see if they cover meds at least to help out. i see my RE for a consultation in june so i have time still

#7 ·
I did 3 natural IUI cycles and the third one worked. My RE wasn't very keen on it. She really didn't think it would work and time was not on my side (at 38), but I really did not want to use drugs unless I had to and she went along with it. The cycle that worked I only had one follicle mature, but it was a good one apparently.

#8 ·
A friend of mine had two natural IUIs and got pregnant on both of them, but she didn't have any known fertility problems, just a lack of sperm (she's a lesbian).

I tried one natural and ovulated too early, so the rest were medicated. I got pregnant on one clomid cycle and two femara cycles.

If you decide not to do ovulation induction, I would still recommend that you get an hcg trigger shot (costs about $60-80). It's a natural hormone that we produce during pg anyway, and that gives you the assurance that you are at least going to release an egg at a predictable time. After all of my experiences, I'm starting to think that my main problem was that I simply wasn't completely ovulating my healthy eggs on my own, but even if you do, it's good to get the timing just right since washed sperm only live about 24 hours.

#9 ·
It is good to hear about your successful IUI (Kiwiva). I just had 4 natural IUI's and none of them worked. I know the odds aren't the greatest but I did one low med IVF cycle 3 years back that gave me pretty severe OHSS but gave my husband and I a smart and healthy baby boy. It is good to hear success stories like this. I really want to avoid the meds. My husband unfortunately has no sperm and we are trying to build a family with some donor help. Just wondering if you (Kiwiva) or anyone had an ultrasound guided IUI or used a frozen sperm sample?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.