Luteal Phase Defect - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-11-2010, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

Based on my charting I have diagnosed myself with Luteal Phase Defect, because I have spotting throughout my cycle and also my luteal phase seems to be between 6-8 days (I've only charted for a few months, but I have always had a lot of spotting). I usually have spotting, then about 5 days of light flow followed by about 2-3 days of heavy flow.

Husband and I have only actively tried to get pregnant for two months, so I hope that no one gets offended that I am posting here in infertility, but I thought you ladies might be able to help. I know it takes some time for many to get pregnant and I am not feeling too stressed about it, I just want to try and be pro-active since it seems obvious that something could be wrong. I made a Dr. appt just to check in with my GP, and I started taking B6 a few days ago.

Anyone experience this? Any advice?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!
#2 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 06:15 PM

I experienced this (8-9 day LP) but I think it was related to the fact that i was still breastfeeding. I didn't spot throughout my cycle though. I tried the B6 for 1 cycle and it brought my LP to 10 days. Since I'm not very patient, I started taking vitex on top of B6 and got pregnant right away.
It's a good thing you get it checked out by a GP though I'm not sure if they are very knowledgeable about charting and LP defect...(even my OB didn't seem to understand my chart)
#3 of 5 Old 04-13-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I also have gotten impatient already, and bought some Vitex last night I was reading about some other symptoms associated with low progesterone and I have all of them! Fibrous breast tissue, swollen/tender breasts, cold all the time, terrible PMS, spotting, short LP. I never talked to my OB about these symptoms much previously because I thought the only thing she would tell me is "go on birth control" and I didn't want to.

I am not feeling impatient to get pregnant, really, since we have not been trying that long, but I know that some of these herbs/vitamins can take a few months to take effect and so I don't want to waste any time when it seems there is obviously a problem. So, we'll see!
#4 of 5 Old 04-13-2010, 05:09 PM

yes I also heard that vitex can take 2-3 months to take effect so if it doesn't change your LP the first month it's no big deal. I also read that vitex can help with PMS so it would probably be good for you. If you get pregnant though, I would check my progesterone levels because if it's too low I think you could lose the baby so talk to your OB about it.
Good luck!!
#5 of 5 Old 04-30-2010, 03:06 PM

I charted to TTA pregnancy, so I was also aware that my cycles weren't typical. They were a typical length (32 days), but I didn't ovulate until CD20-26 and then had a short luteal phase with spotting before my period. I went to the OB and had my progesterone tested at 7dpo (the CD21 test) and it was low. Dh and I had been TTC unsuccessfully, although, like you, not for very long. MY OB prescribed progesterone suppositories and we conceived my DD the first month using them.

Laura, married to Daniel 12/16/2000
Claire b. 6/29/06 and Andrew b. 4/20/08 and #3 due 2/8/11!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page