Multiple Follies and IUI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-21-2010, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies

Driving myself crazy with research, so thought I'd just post here and see if I could get some opinions or personal experiences....

Dealing with secondary infertility (PCOS diagnosis). I am 29, I have one 6 year old conceived naturally (when I wasn't trying and I was oh so young :/) I ovulate on my own, but late, and after 14 months of trying I knew something was wrong. RE put me on Femara to see if that would help things along. It didn't help by itself, but I managed to catch the egg around CD 20 on my first IUI cycle. I wound up having a chemical pregnancy at 19dpo.

The following cycle we tried Femara and Follistim boosting and I got two nice follies, but wound up with some kind of infection (I think it was from the IUI to tell you the truth, Catscan said "cannot rule out salpingitis" but the RE's office denies denies denies). Anyway, took last month off, and back at it again this month.

To make a long story short, this month she increased my follistim, and I wound up with 4 mature follicles (2 that could possibly be mature by the time I ovulated after trigger)
My RE's office is ultra conservative (undertandably) and was hemming and hawing that I had four mature follicles (they were all around 17-18mm), and they didn't want to do the IUI- etc. etc. (I only want one child, two at the most, but three or more is not for me- I would never put my children's health at risk like that. I'd feel like I was being selfish to try and carry more than 2). So I agreed to do selective reduction, if it came to that. (I know you all won't judge). So I did the IUI on Tuesday with a whopping 70 million spermies all with above average motility and morphology (GO DH!).

Anyway, what do you guys think the odds are of more than two? I'm extremely nervous, especially since the first IUI "worked" with only ONE follie (technically) but everything I've read has said 3-4 follies is ok with IUI. Am I being silly worrying about this? It's all I can think of, and with another 7 days till test day, I'm driving myself bonkers! HELP!

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
#2 of 16 Old 05-21-2010, 08:32 PM

I don't have any experience with multiple follicles, but didn't want to not respond. I can certainly understand your concerns. Hopefully someone who has done injectibles before can chime in. I'd like to hear about it since gonal-f is in my future.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#3 of 16 Old 05-24-2010, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Leslie- still hanging out here waiting to know. It's misery! Funny thing is that I bumped into my RE at Relay for Life here in Orlando, (I didn't see her at all this cycle, I saw her partners, because our schedules just wouldn't coordinate) and she told me not to worry about it. Easy for her to say! . Anyway, I'll give you an update Friday (testing day)

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
#4 of 16 Old 05-24-2010, 02:58 PM

Good luck - I'm curious to hear what happens.

#5 of 16 Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 PM

I did a Follistim/Lupron/Ovidrel protocol when I conceived my daughter but we did timed intercourse and not IUI.

So obviously, you have a higher chance of conceiving multiples because of the presence of multiple follicles and with IUI the chances of conception at all go up from timed intercourse.

Keeping that in mind...

....I had four mature follicles at trigger, 2 or 3 that were close to mature, and I conceived ONE baby.
#6 of 16 Old 05-25-2010, 10:21 PM

My RE's office cancelled my cycle at 8 follicles. Four was not an issue at all, and I did not succeed with 4.
#7 of 16 Old 05-27-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies- your input really helps I'm still waiting to test, and hoping for the best- I just need one little sticky bean darnit!

#8 of 16 Old 05-28-2010, 01:54 AM

i triggered and did my first iui with 2 maybe 3 follicles in Dec and did not get preggo, then this last cycle i triggered and did my 2nd iui with 4 maybe 5 follicles of good size, and wooohooo im preggo, i'll tell you in 2 weeks with how many. i'd be ok with two and i'm willing to reduce if i have more, mostly im just so glad to be preggo after so many years of all this hell.
I'll be looking out and crossing my figures for your BFP as well!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#9 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Obviously none of us knows the answer, but I would *guess* you aren't pg with more than twins. It's a nice position to be in, really! I wish my body would make one follie. I had a friend who did IVF and put back 7 embies (to my horror), but none stuck. It all comes down to egg quality and how hospitable your lining is.

Good luck
#10 of 16 Old 06-03-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Adorkable- I was so happy to see you pregnant *finally*!!!! You'll have to post as soon as you know how many you've got in there Just to update everyone- apparently nothing to stress over because BFFFFFN Four follies, great sperm counts and still BFN. My progesterone was really really high, and my LP was nice and long, 15 days, but nada. Moving on to IVF. I'll be doing the first IVF cycle in July. Wish me luck

#11 of 16 Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 PM

Thanks Nanette, i have been reading that success rates and multiples have a lot to do with estrogen level around o time, part of me thinks that me taking FSH for the first time (3 days of very low dose follistim) is what made the difference, because i have been getting follicles and ovulating just fine just on clomid and even sometimes (just late) without and my previous iui in Dec i have 3 follicles and BFN.

i get my first u/s tomorrow at lunch time, woot! i'll be so happy to see my little gummy bear, even thrilled to see two but boy i would be freaked out big time to see any more than that.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#12 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 07:06 PM

http://www.adorkable.me/

+=

we are having twins!!!
they are clearly Di and the heartbeats were strong and everything looked totally great. all the cramping I'm feeling is probably due to 2 really large corpus luteums i have on my left ovary, all good, im sure they are working hard to pump out lots of progesterone for my two little gummy bears!

hubby is still working on taking it al in, after the many years it took to get here and at out age, this is great news. it will be a challenge but o so great!

#13 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Oh MY GOSH!!!! CONGRATS GIRLIE!!! You've been waiting so long for this. You deserve it!! I'm so very happy for you AFTER ALL THOSE MONTHS OF BFNs two little heartbeats- YAYYYYYYY!!!

#14 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Congratulations.

DS 4/11

#15 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 10:43 PM

OMG Adorkable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you!!!!!

#16 of 16 Old 06-10-2010, 12:26 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
YAAY! Congrats!

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page