elevated FSH and ovarian reserve - HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-29-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Ladies -- I just googled something (I know, stupid) and now I'm freaking out. I read that an elevated CD3 FSH level can be linked to diminished ovarian reserve and egg quality. My FSH seems to bounce around between 6 and 11, and last cycle it was 15.3 or something (coming out of an FSH injection cycle, though). I've heard anything below 9 is normal, then somewhere else said under 11, but my RE last month said I think 14. ACK! Does anybody have information about this to help me feel better, or at least embrace the hard truth? I don't want to waste time here if my reserve is dwindling! btw, I'm 31, if that matters.

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First off, everyone's FSH bounces around. The test must always be taken on CD3 for a meaningful results. A low FSH one month doesn't "undo" a high FSH of a previous month, but it can mean that that low month is a better cycle for your follicular growth.

You're age is a big plus. High FSH is a bigger obstacle when you're older. First, I would be doing all the natural things that lower FSH (and yes, they *really* work and I'm not all that crunchy): wheat grass shots (Jamba Juice sells them. Don't bother with powdered stuff - it doesn't work the same way) every day, fish oil supplements, eliminating white flour and sugar, eating lots of dark leafy vegetables. (Obviously no caffeine, alcohol or nicotine.)

You may need an RE for a proper med protocol, but I would try the natural stuff to get your FSH as low as possible first. And definitely read Julia Indochine's book about FSH. She had an FSH of 43 and got hers down naturally and conceived. Good luck. Try not to freak. Info is power.

(I had an FSH of 11 at 39 and conceived my son and then my daughter two years later so I was old and working with elevated numbers. You can do this.)
#3 of 9 Old 06-02-2010, 05:50 PM

You can go to an RE and do an antral follicle count via u/s to get a better idea of how many follicles you have left.

Also read here about reading the FSH test... there is not a universal value that is "OK", it depends on which assay the lab is using, so the normal range depends on the assay used. That may be why you heard different numbers from different people.
http://www.advancedfertility.com/day3fsh.htm

My friend was officially dx'd with diminished ovarian reserve at age 33. Because of that, she felt she had no time to waste and went directly to IVF. Her IVF was successful on the first try and she now has twins. I remember freaking out with her when she got her dx but now I think why did we freak out at all... it is true, age seems to be important especially for egg quality.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
#4 of 9 Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 PM

If this helps at all, I was diagnosed with high fsh/diminished ovarian reserve when I was 31 years old. At that point I had been off birth control for a year. My CD 3 fsh level was 20 at that point. An antral follicle count showed 8 follicles, 2 in one ovary and 6 in the other. The RE I was seeing gave me 5% chance of getting pregnant with my own eggs. We tried one IUI, which didn't work, but then 7 months later I got pregnant without any drugs at all. I now have a little boy.

Try not to lose hope. And good luck!
#5 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 06:27 PM

when we were doing fertility treatment, my FSH jumped around from 8.6 (normal) to 12.8 (high). At the time I was between 32 and 34 years old. My RE always told me that the highest number was a good way to judge your acutal number, since as a PP mentioned, a lower number doesn't "undo" the higher one. That said, my highest FSH was the cycle after an injectible cycle (with VERY high doses- it was actually a failed IVF attempt that was converted to an IUI)- and my FSH went back down to just under ten the next cycle.

Also, when we stopped fertility treatment (after that second IVF attempt) I was able to conceive naturally (even with elevated FSH) three more times- one was a chemical pg though, one is a 16 month old, and one will be born in august- so there is tons of hope.
#6 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ladies, thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words! They are very well timed, and well needed. Huge hugs to you!

love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Remembering our 3 losses

#7 of 9 Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 PM

I was told I had high FSH at 29 (12.3) and was told that I had dimished ovarian reserve. At 26 my FSH was 7 - so that was a fast jump.

We attempted a FET at 29 , so FSH did not play into it at all. My lower FSH (at age 26) resulted in IVF twins.

The FET was not successful and we have not gotten a 'surprise' pregnancy on our own yet...but still trying (at age31)

Good Luck, my RE said age is also a factor--that even if you have fewer eggs, they are usually higher quality.
#8 of 9 Old 06-19-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

KCMichigan, thanks for sharing! I hope you get your "surprise" pregnancy soon! I met with my fertility doctor for a consult on Wednesday, and he also said that age was a big factor, and that these hormone levels are really just a "glimpse" in time since they go up and down. I had an awesome response to FSH stimulation, so I feel much better. I got at least four, but likely five or six follicles to mature by our IUI on Tuesday, including two on the left which is the ovary that was operated on. I'm hoping my FSH has been higher due to the surgery on my left ovary, like maybe my body was trying to get that ovary jumpstarted again. Hopefully we're pregnant and don't need to have the level checked again.

Remembering our 3 losses

#9 of 9 Old 06-26-2010, 12:14 PM

I think the fact that your high FSH was after the FSH injectable cycle is important information. As it may not be a good representation of your actualo number. As the pp said you can lower your FSH naturally. I had an FSH of 10 went to a traditional chinese medicine doctor did acupuncture, chinese herbs, and added wheat grass pills, spirulina, royal jelly, DHEA, and a bunch of other supplements to my multi vitamin/fish oil supplement routine and when I tested again in 5 months my FSH was 7.3. I got pregnant 5 months later (unfortunately I m/c) with what seems like it was a blighted ovum. I am still trying a year later. My TCM provider believes it is just a matter of time before I get pregnant. But at 44.5 I don't know how much time I have left.

If you are concerned about your ovarian reserve have a AMH test run and see what that produces. Also just my personal opinion I think Western Medicine can be very helpful to lots of people but there is also a downside as it can really throw your system out of balance. If you have not already you might want to read The Infertility Cure by Randine Lewis and consider seeing a chinese medicine provider. I know lots of ladies who believe that they got pregnant only because of Randine's book and their Chinese Medicine Provider's help.

Good luck.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif

User Tag List