Anyone Trying 100% Naturally? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 06-29-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! DH and I have been TTC for about a year now. We found out through that year that I have a progesterone deficiency and DH has low SA results across the board.

We are not using any RX meds, we will not do IUI, IVF, etc.

I was wondering if anyone was in the same boat?

I don't think clomid, IUI, IVF, etc are wrong or anything...but I know they aren't really for us. Clomid would probably be the most extensive thing we would ever try but still aren't ready for it.

I feel kind of alone sometimes because people think we should just use whatever we can to get pregnant but I just can't do it!

For DH's low results, we are having him taper off a med he is currently on...this med is probably the cause for his low results. We are also loading him up on anti-oxidents, etc.

For my progesterone issues, I'm seeing a naturopath that is helping me overall. I also have lupus and that has compounded the issues. So we are working on restoring my hormones to a natural balance.

Overall it will take about 6 months before DH's results are 100% back to normal and it will probably take me at least that long to get to a good point for my progesterone.

Sooo....anyone else?

~Chelle~ Married to DH since May 2006. TTC since June 2009. Low Prog + Low SA = 12/10??
Trained Doula - Seeking DONA Certification
#2 of 32 Old 06-29-2010, 03:45 PM

My DH and I started ttc soon after we got married in May 07. We finally tried two rounds of Clomid, one in March and one last month, but neither were successful. That is most likely as far as we will go as well since we don't feel iui or ivf is for us, especially right now. So from here on out, it's going to be all natural. My DH has some male factor infertility too. I seem to O every month on my own and my cycles have become much more regular than they were a few years ago when we started all this. Even if I never conceive again, we'll probably keep at this for the next decade hoping and praying our way to a bio kid, but adoption is definitely in our future either way.

Just wanted to post and say you're not totally alone.

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

#3 of 32 Old 06-29-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you SO MUCH for replying! I was starting to think I was alone. It just feels good to know that I'm not the only one out there like this. I'm also on babycenter and it's soooo mainstream on there...everyone thinks I'm crazy...lol.

~Chelle~ Married to DH since May 2006. TTC since June 2009. Low Prog + Low SA = 12/10??
Trained Doula - Seeking DONA Certification
#4 of 32 Old 06-30-2010, 12:04 AM

We are going natural too. We do have 2 daughters, both were conceived using Clomid but that was before I became crunchy..lol

I have unexplained infertility. No one seems to know what the problem is. I apprear to O every month on time, I get my period on time. I have had lots of testing done and everything seems fine. DH has checked out just fine too. The only thing my OB could come up with was that perhaps I have some low hormone levels and the egss I O are just not viable..which would be why the clomid does the trick for me every time.

I am not against clomid but I am not sure Iw ould go farther than that. I would really for once just like to have it happen on its own. We tried for 16 months for dd1 before doing clomid, then for 8 months for dd2. This time we have not prevented for the last 19 months and have been really trying for about 9 or so.

I have read a bit about the soy isoflavones but am not really sure what to think. I am not sure if taking them would be like using something or not since they are all natural apparently? They seem to work in the same way as clomid so I would think they would work for me.

Jamie-Momma to Addison (4) and Brynlee (1.5) and step momma to Logan (10)
#5 of 32 Old 06-30-2010, 12:38 AM

I just finished my first round of Clomid after going the natural route for quite a while (started TTC summer 2008, m/c 12/08, 6 month break, started TTC again June 2009).

While I completely support it for other people, we will not be pursuing injectables, IUI, IVF, etc. We were hesitant about the Clomid, too. I haven't decided yet if I will take it next month or not. Hopefully I won't have to!

It does seem like I may have low progesterone, but we don't have health insurance coverage to go to an RE or anything, so we're not sure what's wrong.

Good luck! Welcome to MDC!
#6 of 32 Old 06-30-2010, 12:40 AM

Hi I am dealing with possible secondary infertility we have been ttc #2 for 13 months now. I just had some bloodwork done for hormone levels etc. Waiting for the results but ultimately we won't be doing any intervention other than supplements, diet/lifestyle changes if needed. I know many feel pressure due to age but I'm 27 so I know I've still got quite a few good years left so I don't feel the pressure for medical intervention....

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#7 of 32 Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 PM

We are ttc #2 naturally. dd #1 was planned but the moment we said we were gonna try I was pregnant within 2 weeks. We are now on month 7-going on 8 TTC #2. It's frustrating. I had post pardum hypothyroidism after DD was born and my levels are still a little off so i'm hoping after they level out it will happen for us.

Wife to Robert 8-9-08heartbeat.gif Mommy to Lani 4-24-09 babygirl.gif and Cambria 3-25-11 babygirl.gif and one on the way! 6-26-13 stork-suprise.gif

#8 of 32 Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 PM

You are definitely not alone. We had regular, unprotected sex for two years--with nada. I was told I had polycystic ovaries; I do not ovulate regularly and have another chronic condition that I think caused some issues. I was told more than once by Drs. that I would definitely "need help" getting pregnant.

I was definitely feeling the need to do more & time was running out (I'm 34), so I went to the Dr. and did 1 round of Clomid. It made me physically ill (caused a giant cyst), stressed my husband and me out bigtime, and cost money. We could not continue down that road--just didn't feel right for us and I felt bad for having somewhat pressured my husband down that road that ended up not being right for us (he does not like any sort of pharmaceuticals).

Anyway, we just decided to stop and focus on our life. If it happened, it happened. I got pregnant a year later naturally. I think it just takes some people longer. My cycles even regulated somewhat after the Clomid/cyst incident (no explanation why). Good luck.
#9 of 32 Old 07-01-2010, 10:28 PM

Hi Ladies! I am so happy that you are willing to go the natural route first, this is so exciting! There are women out there doing the same thing. I am a moderator for another forum that is dedicated to Natural Fertility- first, preparing for IUI, IVF naturally- second. Don't feel alone! I am so glad you have all found one another!

Best Wishes on your natural fertility journey- it is possible!

http://www.natural-fertility-info.com/discuss/

Herbalist, CD Mother of 2 boys, age 11 and 9
#10 of 32 Old 07-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Yep, we are all natural here as well. We have been trying for over a year while I charted my temps and cervical mucus to make sure I was ovulating and that is about as far as I'm willing to go. I've since stopped taking my temp and decided to just keep track of my periods and that is it.

We have mfi due to his meds as well, unfortunately we won't be able to get him off the meds for at least a year due to a serious back injury. We've decided that if we are meant to have another, s/he will come along. If not I'll be more than content with the three boys we already have.

I have swung back and forth with how far I've been willing to go to have another and finally had a revelation. My first boy was conceived through the pill AND a condom. My second was a first month try and my third came after a miscarriage. If another child is meant to come to our family, it will find a way regardless of the obstacles.

trekkie.gifStudent Mama to:  C reading.gif  (9yrs old), R blahblah.gif (5yrs old), F  hammer.gif (3yrs old) and TTC baby.gif #4 since April 2009

#11 of 32 Old 07-02-2010, 04:55 PM

I check back this board now and then as I spent so much time here not that long ago. We were trying 100% natural. I had been off the pill for 5 years before ttc. DH has a little low morphology and a varicocele that supposedly wasn't causing us issues. His A/R test came back normal. I was having weekly accupuncture for 6 months and then dropped back to monthly and switched over to seeing a therapist to talk through my struggles ttc instead. I charted the whole time as well. We were going to go in for a clomid challenge and do all of the female testing last June combined with an IUI - low and behold, after 22 months of trying, somehow we ended up pregnant and never had to go in. We'll never know why it took so long and how we ended up having everything including lots of luck align to become pregnant naturally. [I would like to punch everyone who says oh, just when you stop trying so hard or decide to give up then your get pregnant... as if we were giving up!]

I have a dear friend who has PCOS (I think that's what she has) and she was told at 17 that she would likely not be able to get pregnant. She and her DH ttc for 3 years and they did use clomid for some time in there. They had decided that if the baby couldn't be made in their bed then they must have been meant to be parents in another realm. It took almost 2 years, but they finally have their adorable little 6 month adopted baby boy. I think that you do what feels right to you and take the measures that make you feel the best and where you can be at peace with your decisions. I was not looking forward to the possibility of clomid or everyone in my business for an IUI (we were going to try two of them then turn to IVF), however, that's the route I felt I wanted to go.

Best wishes and lots of luck on your journey to motherhood!

Thrilled to be expecting Baby #2 after 15 months TTC (a 30% drop in TTC time than Baby #1!)

"Everything that is done in the world is done by hope." Martin Luther

#12 of 32 Old 07-07-2010, 03:34 AM

DP and I doing home insemination. TTC try #4, hopefully this month we'll get a BFP. I am even afraid of frozen sperm and don't really want to go into IVF and using injectables ever. But I'm 20 y o, and with no health problems. Not sure why it is taking so long....but hearing you guys had BFP is inspiring!
We have to buy all our sperm from a donor, so it's costly enough just to have home inseminations. It's natural in the sense it's 'drug free' but it is alternative insemination (we are lesbians).
Good luck!
#13 of 32 Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 PM

we are. we've been trying for 2 years now, not avoiding for at least a year before that. I chart and we do hit the right timing regularly. I'm not sure how much longer I can do this though!

hh2.gif

#14 of 32 Old 07-10-2010, 01:25 PM

We are trying naturally now. After a year of trying (and my hormones going haywire...I had a three month long cycle!) we went to see an RE and did the clomid thing for a couple of months and then a failed IUI. That was the end for me. DH wanted to go forward with another IUI but I just couldn't do it. All the needles and getting "wanded" every other day was draining me. Especially since I have unexplained infertility. I totally blame my year of wacko hormones and uneven cycles on taking bcp's. Never again! Doctors hand those out like candy with no real chat about what they are really doing to you. When I was going through all these hormone tests to find out why I wasn't ovulating I started doing research into bcp. Being that this year my body is behaving in a "normal" way, I really think it took that year for my body to recover from being on bcp. Anywho, we are totally natural at this point and have no plans to move forward with more treatment. Everyday I try to seek God's will in this area...

Married to DH 10/06 TTC#1 since 11/08
#15 of 32 Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 AM

we also tried only naturally, after having a c-section and surgery on both ovaries, i was not interested in any more medical intervention, after many months of ttc #2, i assumed the medical world took my fertility and let go of another baby, but it happened and i am 5 weeks now

Me (33) wife to DH, mommy to DD (11/06) and expecting 5/2011
#16 of 32 Old 09-14-2010, 06:02 PM

busybumblebee- Congratulations I am so happy for you! Exciting! Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Herbalist, CD Mother of 2 boys, age 11 and 9
#17 of 32 Old 09-14-2010, 06:11 PM

justimaginelove - thank you, so far doing very well

Me (33) wife to DH, mommy to DD (11/06) and expecting 5/2011
#18 of 32 Old 09-15-2010, 12:30 AM

Hugs. I know how difficult. DH and I have been TTC#2 naturally after more than a year of trying. I totally get how you feel about not wanting to do IUI, IVF, etc...

I will be going to have a salpindectomy in November to remove a hydrosowpinx(sp). I normally would not be undertaking this b/c after my unnecesarean with my son I am not trusting of doctors at all. That being said after a little research we found out that this could spred to my other tube(which is 100% fine). That would block both tubes and make IVF our only option.

We are still going to continue TTC naturally after the surgery. WHile I do not like the idea of clomid or injectables I do take homeopathics to help give my eggs and body a better chance of conceiving naturally

Aspiring Doula/helper of women and families, SAHM to a joy of a little man while TTC #2   makebabe.gif
#19 of 32 Old 09-15-2010, 06:29 AM

I wish I could go all natural! Good luck to all of you!
#20 of 32 Old 09-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Glad to see posts from other people in the same boat as me! We've been TTC #2 for a little over a year now. I'll definetly admit that it wasn't the right time in the beggining. We were really stressed and not really ready. But For the last 6 months things are much better! I obsessed for a while charting and what not, but I just couldn't do it anymore!!! I was not being the mother that I could be! We can't afford much in way of fertility treatments so we don't really have many options. I've decided to stop thinking about the family I want and enjoy the family I have. Some days are harder than others, but today is one of the hard days. I'm pretty positive it will happen but somedays it just feels like it never will!!!! ARRRGGG!!!!!!

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

#21 of 32 Old 09-16-2010, 08:40 PM

We are going natural as well.
I was dealing with endo and DH had a vasectomy reversed in 2008.
We have been focused on cleansing and health building this year. I am very happy to say that endo no longer wipes me out every month. I did a special 3 month cleanse and now hardly have cramps . My DH seemed to have blockage from scar tissue after the reversal, so we have done various things for him to increase sperm and open the blockage.
We are optimistic about this fall.
This website was very helpful to us as well as encouraging:
http://www.naturalfertilityshop.com
It is full of information as well as therapy options for various fertility issues.

Blessing to all of you as you embrace this journey.

Happy vegan wife to my Best Friend for 23 years, Mother to a Baby someday.
Wishing Since Dec 2007 -- Vas. Reversal in May 2008 -- Waiting on the Lord

#22 of 32 Old 09-23-2010, 11:30 PM

This post was started in June. Does anyone have any updates?

We really should be sharing any encouraging progress as we all know going this route is constant hard work. Certainly no less difficult than any other route, so we need to hear any good news.

It is also good to have a place for us in our unique experiences. Perhaps we should do a monthly thread for us 'naturals'? What do you ladies think? Shall we have our own monthly thread?

#23 of 32 Old 10-16-2010, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Hi - just discovered the thread and thought I'd chime in....

No good news/updates for me personally (secondary infertility and rapidly pushing 40 and dh pushing 50)....however a friend had 3 miscarriages (one pretty bad one at 14 weeks), and then discovered she was gluten intolerant. All mainstream medical testing showed nothing (including colonoscopy)...but she found that some of her symptoms (upset stomach, diarrhea, brain fog) completely disappeared when she strictly eliminated gluten. Once she eliminated gluten from her diet she conceived again and that time the pregnancy held, and she now has a 3 month old dd.
#24 of 32 Old 10-16-2010, 08:02 PM

Also just found this thread! We've been TTCing naturally for almost 2 years, and have no plans to try anything more extensive. This secondary infertility caught us by surprise, as we conceived DS (now 3.5yo) on the first month we've tried. Not sure what is going on this time around - all tests come back normal. The only thing I would maybe consider is Clomid, but I don't know how it would help... For now, I'm still nursing DS, so it's not even an option. Anyways, always good to know that we're not alone! And hopefully some of us get those BFPs soon!

Loving mommy to DS, born April 2007.  Trying for baby #2 since December 2008. 
#25 of 32 Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 PM

We have decided for sure now that we are going to do this naturally. For a while we went back and forth on the issue because clomid has helped us in the past.
The previous post about gluten is very interesting to me. I might have to look into that.

Jamie-Momma to Addison (4) and Brynlee (1.5) and step momma to Logan (10)
#26 of 32 Old 10-20-2010, 04:03 PM

Thank you so much for this thread. We have been naturally trying for almost a year now and I really needed to see that I am not alone in the secondary infertility boat. I have endometriosis and had no trouble conceiving my two boys but now I am 31 and I feel too young for this to be happening.
#27 of 32 Old 10-22-2010, 12:46 PM

I'm so happy to find this board!

We've been TTC #2 for over 1 year now, #1 conceived quickly.

There's almost this society-wide energy that pushes us toward medical interventions when we hit the 1 year mark. I can't help but be skeptical of all of them, though! It's such a conflict bc I don't have the benefit of age on my side anymore (37). So we can go natural for a while longer, but at some point I might just want that other baby too bad to resist!

I'm trying to shore up all systems: have DH on cocktail of supps/vits for many months now. And I'm on B vits, zinc, fish oil. I just started Vitex this month, but even that has me worried. Maybe I shouldn't tinker?! (I have shortish LP and the RE gave me Progesterone supps, though he refuses to test P levels bc he says they are meaningless).

I had blood tests, but even the hysterosalpingogram makes me uneasy. I mean, xraying my ovaries?!?! Though, how frustrating to try MONTH after month, face the AF disappointments, all because a lousy tube might be blocked unbeknownst to me!

I've read enough on the boards to know this: tons of people do get pregnant after trying for what seems like forever.

I think for me, it's all about ocassionally re-setting my patience and being more comfortable with it taking a long time. I think it's particularly hard for me bc #1 was so quick, I assumed that was just my fertility profile. Who knew it was so variable!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2b942d

37yo mom to sweet boy after stressful pregnancy, and TTC 2nd starting nov2009 
trying holistic measures, B6 and other supplements, TCM with acu and herbs
#28 of 32 Old 11-11-2010, 06:58 PM

Welcome to those who recently discovered this thread.

It is a long journey, but at least we do have some natural options besides sitting around.  I hear you all on the age issue since I am 39.  However,  if we are more naturally minded and live differently than the average person, then the statistics do not have to automatically apply to us.  This is one of the benefits of DH and I being vegan.  We do not look or feel our age.

As you spend time around MDC you will find mamas well over 40, so don't let that scare you too much.

We have adjusted our plan by adding temping to my charting, continuing the saliva microcope, stopped  OPKs, and we are taking a supplement break with the exception of Maca. 

We are busy with the next building phase of our home and trying to get ready for winter, so that distracts me and helps the time pass more quickly.

#29 of 32 Old 11-13-2010, 07:11 PM

I have PCOS and irregular cycles.  I have been trying to regulate my cycles naturally for quite some time.  A few months ago, I went gluten free in an effort to help regulate myself.  I feel a lot better but haven't helped my cycles yet. :(  I keep hoping that one day I'll regulate my cycles. 

It would be so easy to take Clomid but I am so strongly against it and don't know why.

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#30 of 32 Old 11-14-2010, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)

My naturopath recommends following a phases of the moon seed chart.  From new moon to full moon have 1-2 tbsp ground flax, pumpkin or hemp seeds daily (Omega 3 to help regulate estrogen).  Then from full moon to new moon eat 1-2 tbsp ground sesame or sunflower seeds (Omega 6 to help balance progesterone).  I don't quite get the logic of following the diet with the moons, when my cycles are historically 35-36 days (before the shortened luteal phase shortened my cycles)...anyone know anything about this?  It would seem to make more sense to eat the omega 3 seeds during the follicular phase of cycle, and then switch to omega 6's during luteal phase?  I'd go back to ask her but I can't afford another visit right now.  Anyone else following this diet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page