So angry at my body - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-30-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...but this break was supposed to be my chance to "get healthy!" I don't know quite where to put this.

I am struggling so bad with my body. I am so so angry at it! I am trying to work through that, but in the mean time I'm doing all kinds of self-destructive behaviour - most of all I can't stop compulsively over-eating. We aren't trying again until the end of Sept, or maybe Oct. for logistical reasons, but my acupuncturist is excited to have a chance to "rebalance" my body and overall health. All I'm doing is screwing it up, it feels like, which then ends up making me feel worse and eat more.

I hear about people eating vegan or going sugar-free or cutting out gluten and feeling so much better and healthier. I want to do that, do something loving and supportive of my body, but I can't do it for more than a day and then I fall HARD.

I've tried finding an eating support group, I've tried talking about it in individual therapy, I've tried talking to friends about it. I just don't know what to do, and today I am feeling particularly down.

We are still pretty far down on the intervertion ladder: just Clomid and IUIs for now, though we may add a trigger shot next cycle. I just want to feel some sort of love, aceptance, faith in my body. After two chemical pregnancies and well over a year of trying, all I feel [right now] is angry and crappy.

Anyone else been here? And found a way out? Help.

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Hi, I know it can be hard trying to get healthy, when food is used as an emotional crutch and infertility is making you emotional. I have gone through a bit similar situation. We have been ttc#2 for going on 15 cycles now. I had one chemical pregnancy 10-2009 and i really let myself go after that and i was eating horribly and gained about 20 pounds during the first 6 months of ttc. I decided to get my health back not just for ttc, but for myself, my dh and my ds, so now I am down 25 pounds and trying to stay healthy is my focus. I know it is hard to realize, but we are made for more than just ttc, so just focus on your health. Start out slow, try to walk 30 minutes a day. Try to eat healthy, don't go to extremes if you know that you aren't going to stick with it. Try to eat a balanced diet with plenty of fiber and protein and limit your sweets/junk food.

Good luck!

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#3 of 5 Old 07-30-2010, 04:42 PM

milletpuff - I absolutely understand how you feel. I have been TTC # 2 for almost two years now, with a couple of miscarriages. I know perfectly well that eliminating sugar, dairy and wheat will likely help, but I can't do it for more than 1-2 weeks at a time. I am so self-disciplined for a while, and then something happens to trigger my emotions (this week it was a friend announcing pregnancy number two) and then I just fall wayyyy off the wagon. I just returned from lunching on a huge, creamy plate of wheat pasta topped with cheese. I find myself using crazy reasoning like "well, nothing is going to help me get pregnant, so why bother avoiding all the food I love".

Anyway, I don't have any great words of advice, mostly just commiseration. The one thing that I have found helps me is to try to stick to the healthy eating 80% of the time. For me, 100% is just too much and I beat myself up if I eat something I 'shouldn't'. So I try to just focus on eating well 80% of the time.

Good luck!
#4 of 5 Old 07-31-2010, 06:10 AM

we've been trying for 2 years now with no success. In the beginning I was oll over the herbs and teas and supplements but now I don't buy any of all that anymore and I also struggle with negative emotions. I like what pp said about the 80% rule. I try to not buy chocolate/sweets during the week and then get some on the weekend. What helps is to get something that my partner will also eat so that I don't have a chance to devour the entire bar of chocolate. I also started doing yoga because I've heard that it can improve your relationship with your body. It does show me that I have certain strengths and flexibilities so that helps.
You have done so much already! You can really be proud of yourself! Are you over-eating on certain foods? Are you exposed to them during the day? or could you maybe just not buy them and have somebody else do the grocery shopping for you? I find it crazy hard but popular wisdom tells you to do something else when you get the cravings, like going for a walk.
I'm sorry you're going through this.

hh2.gif

#5 of 5 Old 07-31-2010, 03:54 PM

I think moderation is the key. I don't cut anything completely out of my diet (except meat, for ethical reasons), and I allow myself treats every once in awhile. I don't beat myself up about it, because it's just that: a treat. I try to eat healthy the majority of the time. And by healthy, I mean covering all the food groups, and in moderation.

Out of curiosity, why would it be healthier to cut out sugar, dairy, and wheat completely? I can understand a food allergy/intolerance, or ethical reasons, but I always thought at least dairy and wheat were healthy, as well as some sugars. Refined sugars are unhealthy, sure, but I still consume those in moderation. If I gave up those three things, I would seriously go nuts. Honestly, the only things I can think of that I could eat are vegetables, nuts, and legumes.

One thing that helped me get in a healthy mind frame was to start exercising. Everything else kind of fell into place after that. I thought I would hate it, but it's really made me love my body and burn off my extra steam. It's also helped a bunch with my anxiety. I usually do 30-45 min. of daily exercise, with one "free" day a week.

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page