Ivf - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, it's looking like I am going to have to try IVF in order to conceive. Can anyone give me a little insight into it? Such as which meds your doc prescribed for you? My doctor is basically no help! I went to her looking for advice as to if I should keep trying IUI's for awhile longer of just go straight to IVF. She basically said it was up to me. When we started talking about what meds I would use, again she said it was up to me. We could use any meds we wanted. I was looking to use follistim or Gonal-f. I could also just stick with the menopur. If I am putting all of this money into IVF and the meds, I want to get a ton of eggs! My partner's insurance will pay for 1/2 of the IVF cost and 1/2 of the med cost. I'm really grateful but it is still going to cost us $6000-$8000 for 1 cycle. It will all be worth it if it results in a baby! Another question I have for you all is if you know if taking fertility meds will make your pap test come back abnormal? It's a long story but basically my sample was missing a certain cell and my midwife's office said it happens in less than 10% of people and it means either menopause or pregnancy. I had a second pap test and it came back fine. I was just curious! Thanks for the info!

Jess, DP to Susan and Step-Mom to Carrie, Matthew, Lauren, and Benjamin
#2 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 11:08 PM

We tried it once... We did it because my tubes are blocked. It didnt work tho. Now DP is pregnant after IUI's. I will maybe try it again... depending on how life with twins turns out to be lol.

I was on Buserillin at first to stop my cycle and then I was on Puregon for stims. It worked well for me, I think I had 9 mature follies. I also had to have a trigger shot before the egg retrieval and then was on Progesterone shots.

How many IUI's did you do ? MEdicated ?

Coco
xx

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#3 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

I have done 4 medicated IUI. 3 of the cycles were with 2 days of menopur and clomid. 1 cycle was with 3 days of menopur and femara. I still only would get 1 or 2 mature follicles-which I was unhappy with. I feel I need to have 3 or 4 follicles to achieve pregnancy. I'm starting to believe that something is wrong with my tubes. Like the cilia aren't working properly. I had a lap done and the doc couldn't find anything wrong in there! I have tried 13 times- 9 at home and 4 at the doctors. I had 1 cycle where I got a bfp, but it faded away. I'm just really confused as to why it isn't working if the doctor says nothing is wrong!

#4 of 10 Old 08-07-2010, 10:32 AM

I know how frustrating this can be.

DP and I (combined) tried a total of 13 months, spanned over 2 and a half years. DP alone had 10 months of trying after we found out about my tubes. She is now almost 13 weeks pregnant with twins after believing we only had one follie... but they seem to be fraternal so there had to be two.

One or two follies is not a bad outcome for using meds... sometimes, more follies mean less quality. That is often the case with IVF from what I understand.

Come join us in Queer Conceptions if you feel like it, lots of great women there with lots of experience !

Coco
xx

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#5 of 10 Old 08-08-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfgiggle View Post
I I still only would get 1 or 2 mature follicles-which I was unhappy with. I feel I need to have 3 or 4 follicles to achieve pregnancy. I'm starting to believe that something is wrong with my tubes.
IVF bypasses any tube problems. You only need one good one, so don't feel like you need 3-4 to achieve pg. As for meds - I find it strange that your RE does not recommend a protocol. It is up to your RE to recommend one! Did your RE give you a basic explanation on the difference between a long protocol and a short one, for example?
#6 of 10 Old 08-08-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfgiggle View Post
Another question I have for you all is if you know if taking fertility meds will make your pap test come back abnormal? It's a long story but basically my sample was missing a certain cell and my midwife's office said it happens in less than 10% of people and it means either menopause or pregnancy. I had a second pap test and it came back fine. I was just curious! Thanks for the info!
The meds should have no effect on the pap test.
#7 of 10 Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondacop View Post
The meds should have no effect on the pap test.
Not necessarily true. My only ever abnormal pap was in the middle of fertility treatments. My RE said it could have caused the odd reading.
#8 of 10 Old 08-08-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

My RE said that she usually uses follistim or gonal f but that it was up to us and we could use whatever meds we wanted. I was really disappointed with the whole appointment. She didn't give us much information or advice. Basically was like tell me what you want to do now. Didn't offer any advice if I should go to IVF now or try more iui. I've been looking up protocol and schedules online for help. And I'm paying this dr a bunch of money...for nothing!

#9 of 10 Old 08-08-2010, 10:49 PM

Are you near IN? (I see you're in OH.) I lived in OH and cycled in IN. Had a successful FET with that doc.

Anyway, if your doctor isn't prepared with a protocol for your IVF, maybe it is because she didn't realize you were considering it yet. It is individual for each person, and probably she needed time to research your file to decide what she should put you on.

I believe clomid actually gave me some pretty bad medical conditions, so I would think fertility meds could affect a pap.

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#10 of 10 Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

My doctor knew that I was considering IVF. I specifically asked what meds and doses I would be on. I called the nurse practioners and they gave me some insight into the process. They said that my doctor isn't being more aggressive because I am still young and have a lot of years. Well, I don't want this to take any more years than it already has! I'm thinking about switching doctors. I'm trying to find if anyone donates meds as they are going to cost around $3000 it seems. The clomid made me extremely moody and hard to be around. My partner was about to leave me so I figured that I better change meds!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page