Considering IUI - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH and I have unexplained fertility. His sperm morphology is on the low end of normal, other than that we have no clear issues (after blood and sperm testing, and an HSG). Our fertility clinic gave us a 1% chance of conceiving 3 years ago, and a 3-5% chance if we did IUI. We're not interested in IVF and we thought those IUI odds sucked, so we adopted (we'd always wanted and planned to adopt anyway so that was a much easier decision than it probably is for many infertile mamas ). Our DD Willow, now 15 months old and brought into our family at 4 days old, is the light of our life.

We started talking recently about the next baby or child/children and how to go about that. We ended up talking about trying IUI again. I'm a little surprised because we're really not at all concerned about having biological kids. It just seems like the least expensive, most straightforward route to consider at the moment based on our current life circumstances (the other possibilities on the table are a second domestic newborn adoption, or adopting a young child or sibling pair from foster care, neither of which are feasible right now for financial and logistic reasons).

I've always kept IUI at the back of my mind, because I have a sneaking intuition that our conception issues might have something to do with my cervical fluid (I've always thought I didn't have enough of it, or that it appears a bit too early or is not quite the right consistency) or DH's sperm motility. IUI would help bypass both of those issues, if they exist, right?

We're only talking about IUI with Clomid at the moment, probably 3 rounds. I'm starting to think about what to chance in terms of diet, supplementation, etc. and I emailed our clinic today to see if we can get an appointment or if we need a new referral since it's been so long. I'm assuming we'll need new test as well (hopefully not a new HSG!).

We're both 29, no health issues other than depression and anxiety on my side, and I've never been pregnant (no miscarriages etc.). We haven't used birth control in 5.5 years and used NFP before that (and the pill for a few months).

I'm not really sure what I'm asking; I think I'm just trying to think through this some more. I'd love to hear about your experiences with IUI and/or unexplained infertility if you've BTDT.

Astrea, mama to my sweet toddler Willow
#2 of 22 Old 08-29-2010, 02:46 PM

We didn't have luck with IUI's but DH's counts were LOW and after doing IVF I found out my eggs tend to be 'sticky' so even though I have all the signs of O every month, I'm not even sure if my egg actually leaves the follicle, so that might be the main issue for us. (Who knows...)

It's been a couple years since I was a infertility research addict, basically, but I just wanted to make sure that your doctor prescribes estrogen after the clomid (IIRC you'd take the clomid like day 3-9 or something and then the estrogen 9-12 - something like that) or to go with Femara or something instead. Clomid alone is not recommended because especially in subsequent cycles it can thin your lining. Just wanted to make sure to bring that up to ask your RE about.

Wishing you the best of luck!
#3 of 22 Old 08-29-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaFinch View Post
We didn't have luck with IUI's but DH's counts were LOW and after doing IVF I found out my eggs tend to be 'sticky' so even though I have all the signs of O every month, I'm not even sure if my egg actually leaves the follicle, so that might be the main issue for us. (Who knows...)

It's been a couple years since I was a infertility research addict, basically, but I just wanted to make sure that your doctor prescribes estrogen after the clomid (IIRC you'd take the clomid like day 3-9 or something and then the estrogen 9-12 - something like that) or to go with Femara or something instead. Clomid alone is not recommended because especially in subsequent cycles it can thin your lining. Just wanted to make sure to bring that up to ask your RE about.

Wishing you the best of luck!
Thanks, mama, that's good to know! What is Femara?

How did you find out you had "sticky" eggs?

#4 of 22 Old 08-29-2010, 05:03 PM

Femera is another fertility drug used like clomid is...just a little stronger. I used it along with injections to get pregnant with this baby after almost 3 years of TTC. Femera also didn't have as many bad side effects on me as the Clomid did. And i took clomid for 6 months straight before my OB/GYN refered me to my RE. Good luck!!!!

Brandy(28) mommy to Jayde (12/14/03) and Emma Mattilynn-Gail born 12/06/10 and Loving wife to DH (32)! TTC#3 since April 2011! Missing our little angel.gifs that we lost so early 7/11 & 11/11! Praying to get our rainbow1284.gif babyf.gifsoon!

#5 of 22 Old 08-29-2010, 11:00 PM

Yep, what Brandy said about Femara. My old RE didn't use Clomid but instead used Femara, generic name Letrozole.

I'm not sure my 'sticky egg' thing even applies to my natural cycles. All I know is for both of my IVFs I had eggs that didn't float freely in the fluid. My RE had to flush my follicles multiple times before she got my eggs. It made me wonder if on a natural cycle if my eggs also stuck to the wall of my follicle instead of floating in the fluid like they're supposed to, but it's also possible that on a NATURAL cycle that won't happen. Who knows - there really isn't a way to know. I had my IVFs when I was 34 and 35, so age and rising FSH were probably the culprit. But we started TTC when I was 29. But DH had issues, too, so I still don't really know where things went wrong every month. I'm just so thankful for IVF!
#6 of 22 Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 AM

Astrea Just completed my femara/injectibles IUI and an currently in the TWW. I experienced little to no side effects and all in all am very satisfied with the experience. After TTC concieve #2 for 16 months now I actually feel some hope again in my chances on recieving a BFP.

IUI is worth a shot. All doctors can give you is statistics and people defy predictions all the time. I would definately recommend the femara over the clomid though. I would also do some research on the injectables if you can afford them because they offer greater success rates.

Follow your gut. Good luck!

Dee: Mommy to a 2 y/o boy, expecting a in July and married to my .
#7 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 04:03 AM

I'm surprised the IUI success percentage given to you was that low. My husband and I have male factor (normal count, but low morphology/motility) and before we knew about my issues my RE told me he thought we'd have about an 80% chance of conceiving over a 3 cycle period using clomid and induced ovulation (with an injectable). That seems fairly high to me, and now we've discovered that I only have one functioning tube and possibly endo, it's less, but if you don't have other health issues...
#8 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedidder View Post
RE told me he thought we'd have about an 80% chance of conceiving over a 3 cycle period using clomid and induced ovulation (with an injectable)
Wow! That really gives me hope!

#9 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 PM

I had infertility without a diagnosis, I wouldn't say it was totally unexplained since I was in my late 30's, but everything checked out fine. DH had less than perfect morph but it wasn't abnormal. My third IUI worked. I had my DD right before I turned 39. I talked my doc into doing it without drugs. I was too old for clomid and wanted to try without injectibles. I think she thought we were wasting our time, but I wanted to try with everything controlled and it worked. I also did acupuncture, qi gong, etc and had a great diet. Just my anecdotal experienc. Butit may be worth a try.
#10 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thank you so much everyone. You're giving me hope. I will ask about Femara and also about injectables. I have to say I'm terrified of the injectables thing. I'm not sure why because needles don't really bother me. I don't enjoy them, but really, who does? My DH is really scared of them, though. Needles and snakes are his two phobias. So it would definitely be me that would have to do them. I don't know if we could afford it or not, but we'll talk about it.

It's really strange for me to be thinking about TTC again. I really thought we were done with that. The idea of having a biological baby is... really strange. Exciting, scary, and strange.

#11 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedidder View Post
RE told me he thought we'd have about an 80% chance of conceiving over a 3 cycle period using clomid and induced ovulation (with an injectable).
You just made my day! The study that I'm participating in is using either Clomid, Femara, or gonadotropins plus and hCG trigger and IUI and I still wasn't feeling great about it because I'm only going four rounds. Wow!

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#12 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrea View Post
It's really strange for me to be thinking about TTC again. I really thought we were done with that. The idea of having a biological baby is... really strange. Exciting, scary, and strange.
hey, me too. We have a four year old adopted daughter, and are keeping our foster-adopt license open, but where we live a second placement is unlikely, so we are back to TTC, which feels so weird. I keep going back and forth about how I feel about it - I hate all the negative emotions associated with it and the build-up/let-down cycle is wearing on me already, but at the same time I can`t stop wanting more kids. It is easier this time, because I have a lovely little girl to snuggle and laugh with, but still, like you, I thought we were done with this!

sorry, I know that was totally OT, but I haven`t met anyone who went through infertility, then adopted, and is back at TTC again. I wish you all the best!!
#13 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 05:58 PM

We had MFI and LPD to deal with (along with no CM on my end) and got pregnant with our first IUI - I did 150mg of clomid, an hcg trigger shot and progesterone suppositories until around week 11. I also was doing acupuncture and TCM and we both watched what we ate and took supplements. I had been off BCP for almost 2 years and actively trying for 18 months. I would go for it.

Erica
DD September 2010, m/c October 2009
#14 of 22 Old 09-02-2010, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

I heard back from our clinic and they have our file but we need a re-referral, which I've tasked DH with since he should do some of the grunt work in all this too, right? At least that's what my inner feminist says (and he doesn't mind).

I wonder if Femara is used in Canada. Our clinic never mentioned it, but I'll look into it. I can see via Google that it's approved here for breast cancer treatment, but I wonder if it can be used for IF treatments as well.

You mamas who've BTDT with injectibles--how did you find it? I was talking to my friend yesterday and she said that when she had to give herself injections 2x/day when she was battling cancer, she did them in her belly or thigh and it didn't hurt at all. Is that true? Also, are they crazy-making? I've heard so many horror stories about what the meds you take to prep for IVF can do, and it scared me pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantaja View Post
You just made my day! The study that I'm participating in is using either Clomid, Femara, or gonadotropins plus and hCG trigger and IUI and I still wasn't feeling great about it because I'm only going four rounds. Wow!
That's how I felt too. I wonder where my clinic got our stats from? I wonder what they'll tell us at our appointment (whenever we get one--not for a few months).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallabi View Post
hey, me too. We have a four year old adopted daughter, and are keeping our foster-adopt license open, but where we live a second placement is unlikely, so we are back to TTC, which feels so weird. I keep going back and forth about how I feel about it - I hate all the negative emotions associated with it and the build-up/let-down cycle is wearing on me already, but at the same time I can`t stop wanting more kids. It is easier this time, because I have a lovely little girl to snuggle and laugh with, but still, like you, I thought we were done with this!

sorry, I know that was totally OT, but I haven`t met anyone who went through infertility, then adopted, and is back at TTC again. I wish you all the best!!
Wow, mama, that's so cool! We're kindred spirits. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat! I feel exactly the same way as you and also haven't met anyone in this position before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriecurls View Post
We had MFI and LPD to deal with (along with no CM on my end) and got pregnant with our first IUI - I did 150mg of clomid, an hcg trigger shot and progesterone suppositories until around week 11. I also was doing acupuncture and TCM and we both watched what we ate and took supplements. I had been off BCP for almost 2 years and actively trying for 18 months. I would go for it.
What is LPD? Luteal phase defect? I can't remember what that means.

I sort of suspect I might ovulate quite close to the end of my period, because that's when I have CM--around, like CD 9 or 10 when I only totally finish spotting around day 6. Is there a name for that or is it a non-issue?

What is an HCG trigger shot? Is that different from injectibles?

I would love to hear more about what you did for diet and supplements.

#15 of 22 Old 09-03-2010, 12:54 PM

Femara was originally approved by the FDA to help women with breast cancer...but it is also a great drug for infertility. Every single one of the pamplets i got with my medication from the drug store said it's use was for breast cancer pts.

When I did my injections i alternated each side of my stomach near my belly button for as many days as it took for my follicles to get mature enough for us to use the trigger shot. The TRIGGER SHOT or HCG shot is a shot that will make you ovulate. It has some of the pregnancy HCG in it and that will cause you to get false positives for about 7-8 days after you take the shot...but it will leave your system before time to be tested to see if your IVF or IUI worked. (or even DTD on your own like some women are able to do if MIF isn't an issue) Injections really don't hurt that bad and i've only had one time that my injection site had a little bit of blood come out after i did the injection...but it was just like a pin prick and of course the bleeding didn't last long. I think the WORST side effects i've had from any IF medication i've taken was from Clomid and I got straight up moody and had headaches with that. With my other medications the side effects weren't as bad...and yes I was a little moody the month I OVER stimulated on the medication, but i had like 20 something follicles that developed and ruptured on their own that month and that hurt...but it's because my body just decided to finally start reacting all at one time...that doesn't happen to everyone on the drugs.

Brandy(28) mommy to Jayde (12/14/03) and Emma Mattilynn-Gail born 12/06/10 and Loving wife to DH (32)! TTC#3 since April 2011! Missing our little angel.gifs that we lost so early 7/11 & 11/11! Praying to get our rainbow1284.gif babyf.gifsoon!

#16 of 22 Old 09-04-2010, 10:53 AM

Wow great explanation Brichole!

Astrea I have a phobia of needles too and let me tell you, the self injections were so painless. The needle is so fine and short and when you pinch up a little bellyfat and stick it in it is so easy!

I am 33 and produced 4 good folllies on femara/follistim.

#17 of 22 Old 09-04-2010, 11:45 PM

We were shocked to find out a few days ago that our first IUI was successful! Our issue was mild to moderate male factor (morphology and sometimes motility). We even did the IUI naturally at the advice of the RE (I was skeptical), and obviously he knew what he was talking about!

I would give it a go for a few rounds if I were you. I'd also find a new doctor. Those odds seem way lower than what they should be, esp. if you're unexplained. To me, if you're unexplained, how can they even know how well it will work for you? And who knows, maybe because your DH has mild morphology issues, they are just having trouble getting through the cervix and this would be all you would need!

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#18 of 22 Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 AM

29 years old, been TTC for almost 1 year. boy oh boy has this been rough! We both just finished out infertility testing, only to show that we are NORMAL!!! What a confusing relief! No issues whatsoever... our doc said I could even be an egg donor if I wanted! So now that we are being classified as having "sub-fertility" issues, we are moving on to IUI. No clomid, just the aggressive round of shots. There is a higher chance of multiples with this method, but we are ready! (or so we think...)

Any thoughts/wisdom/experiences/responses would be great! This is one of the hardest things that I have ever gone through in my 29 years.

#19 of 22 Old 02-26-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hi anxiousannie, thanks for bumping this thread!  Infertility sucks and that's the truth

I hadn't checked on this thread in a while because we dropped the idea of TTC for a bit to look into some other adoption options.  We're back here again now, though, although we may renew our homestudy for adoption so that we have two options on the go at once.  My husband will get us a referral to a feritlity clinic this week.  It'll be 2-3 months before we get an appointment, though.  In the meantime I'm gearing up to chart again.  I got some evening primrose oil and I'm ordering plain Robitussin (to try to boost my cervical mucus) and Pre-Seed.  I also bought some Clearblue ovulation predictor strips, which I've never used before.  Holy crap, those things are expensive.  Is Red Raspberry Leaf worth it as well?  I'm at cycle day 7 today.

TTC was hell on our sex life, and I'm really not looking forward to that again.  Also not looking forward to possibly having to re-do the HSG and maybe go through a laparoscopy.  Trying to decide if it's worth it to totally give up coffee and wine too.  

Does anyone actually bother to do the legs-in-the-air-for-15-minutes-after-sex thing?  I seem to recall reading in Taking Charge of Your Fertility that it's worth doing, but it seems so ridiculous.

Has anyone seen the movie Maybe Baby?  If not, and you're TTC, you must watch it.  It's so funny/sad/awesome.

Anne--congratulations!  How very exciting.

#20 of 22 Old 03-08-2011, 08:23 AM

We have been using the pre-seed, legs up (sometimes shoulder stand as I am a yogi!), clearblue ovulation, etc., you name it!

Since this is our round #1 of IUI, I have been to docs every other morning! I get blood work and vaginal ultrasound. I am on bravelle injections, which aren't causing any weird/uncomfortable side effects. (Unlike clomid, which caused bloat, breast tenderness, mood swings, you name it!)

I should be inseminated sometime next week... crazy! I will keep ya updated!

@Astrea-  My husband and I will check out Maybe Baby... we could use to have our spirits lifted!

#21 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 PM

I have been TTC for 33 cycles, this is my second IUI; the first one was all natural, no drugs, just me, a trigger shot, and a sperm donor (husband is sterile after cancer).  It didn't work, obviously, so second cycle we did Clomid days 5-9, and then triggered; I only had one HUGE follicle and I had hoped for more but I will take what I can get. The donor dose we used this cycle turned out to be 16million vs only 9 mil last cycle, so there are greater odds.  Our doctor told us that we have about a 20-30% chance each cycle, but most people get pregnant after 3-4 of them (using drugs like clomid).  We too are not considering IVF and if IUIs don't work after a yet-to-be-decided number of them, we will start saving for our own adoption.

Mom to 4 cat.gif, 1 dog2.gif, a 5g betta tank , 3 fiddler crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12

#22 of 22 Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiva View Post

I had infertility without a diagnosis, I wouldn't say it was totally unexplained since I was in my late 30's, but everything checked out fine. DH had less than perfect morph but it wasn't abnormal. My third IUI worked. I had my DD right before I turned 39. I talked my doc into doing it without drugs. I was too old for clomid and wanted to try without injectibles. I think she thought we were wasting our time, but I wanted to try with everything controlled and it worked. I also did acupuncture, qi gong, etc and had a great diet. Just my anecdotal experienc. Butit may be worth a try.

Why do you say you are too Old for Clomid? I am 39 and TTC my 3rd child 1st for DH ,,, I am 39 and he is 37 and I have a 19 year old daughter and a 11 year old daughter and 2 mc and we just got the results today saying that his SA is normal but slow sperm .... I was thinking IUI

Me (40) dishes.gif    DH (39) geek.gif      DD (21) hearts.gif      DD (13) hippie.gif       2 angel3.gifangel3.gif   ......

5 failed IUI's all with clomid and injectables, first IVF failed.. 3 ER none made it to ET, fet scheduled for June 21  

* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 stork-boy.gif* * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * * * 40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page