Any ideas why I am not getting pregnant... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We really want to get pregnant naturally and cannot figure out why it isn't working.
Here is the run down on what I do know...

1. I ovulate regularly and have a normal monthly cycle...28 days normally.
2. We do it at all the right times, we have tried every position, I have stood on my head for hours lol...
3. DH sperm check is normal, plus he has fathered a child before me with another woman.
4. Clomid works like a charm for me, dd1 it took one cycle and dd2 it took 2 cycles.
5. Soy Isoflavones do not seem to work for me.
6. All my bloodwork is normal, lap is normal, hystersalpingogram is normal.
7. I've never miscarried.
8. There have been plenty of months in the last 5 years where I truely did not want to get pregnant and never did (you know how they say you get pregnant when you don't want to..didn't work for me).
9. I have never taken birth control, never used protection with my husband for 5 years.

Are there some other tests my dr can run? I just want an answer. I know I have clomid as an option but I really don't want to take it. It is an emotional issue for me and I will just leave it at that. Any ideas on what is wrong anyone?

Jamie-Momma to Addison (4) and Brynlee (1.5) and step momma to Logan (10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 04:51 PM

I am wondering, if you ovulate regularly, why you took clomid? If you don't get pregnant without it and do get pregnant very quickly with it, is it possible you're not actually ovulating? And what is your cervical mucus like around ovulation? In fact clomid reduces cervical mucus, so i assume you have plenty of it, but worth asking anyway...
#3 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

I took clomid as a prep for an IVF cycle I beleieve it was..or IUI I cannot remember now. That was over 5 years ago. We ended up not being able to go to the appt for the IVF because we had bad weather and then 2 weeks later I was pregnant. So the next time I wanted to get pregnant the dr. prescribed it and it worked again!?

I know I ovulate. I have done BBT for many many months. I can feel the ovulation. I can feel it in my ovary. I have a lot of CM most months so I don't think that is the problem.

If Clomid worked it must solely be something that has to do with the hormones that happen around ovulation time right? I have thought that maybe I ovulate but the hormones needed to mature the egg are not there or are not enough? Is that possible?

#4 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 05:06 PM

Two healthy children in 5 years doesn't read "infertility" to me. How long have you been TTC this time, and how long did you TTC before taking clomid for your first 2?

Honestly, there are just so, so many things that can impact fertility, and so much of it is just luck, that I don't think you're too likely to find an easy answer. What blood work have you done? Have you charted (temps, CM, CP, etc.)? Are you underweight or overweight? How is your diet?
#5 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 PM

My sister has had PCOS for many years, and before dx had a normal ovulatory BBT chart, and felt pain at the time of ovulation, but she didn't often ovulate. She felt the pain of the cyst forming. She did sometimes ovulate though. Her charts/symptoms were the same when she did as when she didn't. Not to say that's your situation, just food for thought.
#6 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

We have been TTC this time for 7 months but have not prevented since our dd was born 2 years ago. I TTC for 16 months before taking clomid the first time. The second time we tried 8 months before clomid. Never not trying at any time though.

I don't know all the blood work that I have had done, just the basics I am sure. They didn't tell me everything just that all of it looked fine. I had the infertility work up.

I am normal weight and eat ok. I could eat better but I don't think I eat bad. I eat a good variety and we are mostly organic eaters here. I do like sweets and chocalate milk lol.

I have done BBT for years. It shows ovulation every month on time. I have good CM and we BD right on time

#7 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
My sister has had PCOS for many years, and before dx had a normal ovulatory BBT chart, and felt pain at the time of ovulation, but she didn't often ovulate. She felt the pain of the cyst forming. She did sometimes ovulate though. Her charts/symptoms were the same when she did as when she didn't. Not to say that's your situation, just food for thought.

Is there a test for this? Or other symptoms? How could I tell if I have it or not?

#8 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 05:29 PM

She had a scan of her ovaries which showed PCOS, but that was part of an investigation for something else. I think they tend to diagnose clinically, which might be a problem for you because they will almost certainly say "yes, you might have it, use the clomid". Doctors tend to only investigate up to the most obvious solution and only continue if that doesn't work out.
#9 of 18 Old 09-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie1115 View Post
I don't know all the blood work that I have had done, just the basics I am sure. They didn't tell me everything just that all of it looked fine. I had the infertility work up.
It might be worth finding this out, and getting the specific results as well. Different clinics run different standard tests and I know from experience that they do not always interpret the numbers correctly.
#10 of 18 Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 PM

My understanding of clomid is that it doesn't just help with ovulation. It works by creating a larger, more robust set of follicles (creating a heavy-hitter, all-star entourage of almost-eggs to accompany the main egg to the party). The cascading effect of clomid is that ALL systems are amped-up. Kind of like cycle on steroids. So, if you had progesterone issues, clomid would help that

Did you tell us your age? That could have lots to do with it, too. Apparently, as we age, our eggs are less capable of doing their initial splitting properly. So it becomes really a matter of time before you catch an egg that knows how to behave!

It sounds to me like time issue. That you'll get pregnant no problem, but it might take more months than you anticipated.

GL!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2b942d

37yo mom to sweet boy after stressful pregnancy, and TTC 2nd starting nov2009 
trying holistic measures, B6 and other supplements, TCM with acu and herbs
#11 of 18 Old 10-22-2010, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
I'm assuming your luteal phase is normal if you say your cycles are normal.

Have your progesterone levels been checked 7 DPO when not using clomid? It would be interesting to know if there's a difference when using clomid vs. not.

I have long cycles 31-36 days. My luteal phase has been shortish (10 day) whenever I've used an OPK to predict ovulation...and this led my OB to believe that clomid would work well for me by releasing better eggs and thus helping the corpus luteum secrete more hormones, e.g progesterone (to help with a successful implantation). Just curious if you know why clomid worked for you before? Maybe that would give some clues as to why you're not getting pregnant this time.

Good luck
#12 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 01:15 AM

What about your CM (cervical mucus)? Is it present at ovulation time? Do you use OPKs or a CBFM? I ask because sometimes CM can be hostile to sperm. I use PreSeed because I have PCOS and barely any CM when I ovulate.

Also, have they ever done a u/s to check your uterine lining before ovulation? This may be an issue with implantation. Clomid can significantly affect it. Maybe drinking RRLT from AF to O can help.

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

#13 of 18 Old 12-10-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

I am 27 so I don't think age is a factor. I did have a progesterone test once and I think it was high maybe(or low?) lol..I was breastfeeding at the time though and it was attributed to that so maybe I should have another one done.

I do have a good amount of CM at ovulation time and I can tell when I O because of it and I also get a little crampy most months. I know I could just need more time but being as it took 16 months (and clomid) and 8 months (and clomid again) to get both my children I am not very hopeful.

I know no one really has the answer..and I am not sure why I feel like I need one. I just want it to happen because it is supposed to happen, not because I made it happen. I am spiritual so I struggle with using clomid..I am not sure if that is the right thing to do or not.

#14 of 18 Old 12-11-2010, 08:38 AM

Jamie...... Sorry you struggle with Clomid. I really would feel that if it gets you pregnant, it is only because something in your body does not do its job, normally, and Clomid fixes that for you. (Or bypasses something or whatever.) You cannot make yourself have a baby by taking clomid, as the many people would attest for whom it does not work... I once heard the idea that when your pipes are clogged, you call a plumber. You don't just sit there and pray.

I have religious and other reasons for doing anything other than Clomid, though so far I have not even taken that. (I have taken soy isos.. somewhat of the same thing of trying to mess with the cycle.) However, my body is broken somehow, so I would take help if I could get it, meaning anything that would not affect the child being conceived in the marital bed, the "regular" way.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#15 of 18 Old 12-12-2010, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)

Jamie I would suggest getting your progesterone levels checked again 7 days past ovulation.  My OB wouldn't prescribe clomid without the progesterone check (would be done on CD21 for you I think?).  On clomid one would expect the number to be higher.  That might be why clomid works for you.  Often women get the temp spike, midcycle pain, but perhaps didn't actually ovulate?  Or if they did, the corpus luteum left behind wasn't robust enough to secrete enough progesterone needed to support the uterine lining and implantation.  If you're hesitating to take clomid again, then I think it's prudent to find out exactly what your diagnosis is.  "unexplained infertility" is not an adequate diagnosis and actually the evidence suggests that clomid is no more effective than no treatment in women who ovulate regularly and have unexplained infertility. However, clomid is a known effective treatment for luteal defect and irregular ovulation or infrequent ovulation.  Progesterone is very important and low levels during the luteal phase would prevent implantation or result in early miscarriage (before you knew your were pg).

#16 of 18 Old 12-23-2010, 07:58 AM

My hunch is low progesterone/luteal phase issues - clomid helps by making a stronger egg, and the corpus lutum produces more progesterone, strengthening the LP.  Clomid is used to treat LPD possibly as commonly as anovulation.

How long is your LP?  Do you have dips in temp, or dips in emotion?  Would you try natural progesterone cream, or progesterone supplementation?

Mama to Little Beedust.gif born April 2007 -

Expecting a new little one in Mid-October, after 3 1/2 years TTC

#17 of 18 Old 12-30-2010, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

I know I had my progesterone checked about a year ago or so..maybe 18 months ago. I was still nursing at the time and I remember the level being either slightly low or slightly high (whichever nursing affects) and it was attributed to me nursing.

I don't remember if I had my progesterone checked before my first round of clomid nearly 6 years ago. Probably I suppose. They could not find a single thing out of line with me so I guess it tested normal at that time.

I would not be opposed to taking progesterone supplements. How much and for how long is this used?

I got a little off with my cycles from taking the soy isoflavones for a couple of months and it seems they just are not regulating themselves. I think it has been close to 5 weeks now since my last period..yes I have taken a scadzillion pregnancy tests..I am not preggo. This is very strange for me but I would have to say it was the soy I took over the summer, my periods have not been the same since. I wish I wouldn't have taken it. Does progesterone have any effects like that? I need to go research it.

Thanks for all the input and support. I really appreciate all of the ideas and suggestions. It is very very depressing to know that your body isn't working right. I know you all know this and feel my pain.

#18 of 18 Old 01-01-2011, 01:07 PM

I'm in a sort of similar situation. I often don't ovulate on my own but when I do I still don't get pregnant. Clomid magically seems to get me pregnant lol. It makes me think, like you said, that maybe the eggs I do make aren't the greatest, or the hormones just aren't good enough. Who knows. All I know is that clomid works so I'm gonna keep taking it.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page